The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-31-2010, 07:08 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by angela View Post
Peter Lane's bio of PM is by far the best in terms of prose but Everingham's is the best in terms of pics. If it's good, glamorous (and unusual) pics you want then the latter is well worth buying.
I just finished reading Lane's book and it was a very good read. He's VERY sympathetic to Princess Michael so some parts read like advertising copy from a P.R. rep. Nonetheless, for the most part though, it was an enjoyable read.

He mentions in the Acknowledgements section that he wrote to MC in November 1984 asking for her co-operation and she responded that "all my family, my friends, my schools, educational institutions, etc., have been requested to co-operate with no one with regard to articles or a book about me". There was a discussion in this forum along the lines of why we don't know much about her first husband (and why she rarely speaks of her father but talks incessantly about her mother) and it's apparent that she, or her handlers, want to control information about her.

I also found it interesting that when British Intelligence were vetting her before her marriage to the Prince they discovered information about her Dad's nazi past, years before the Daily Mail broke the story.

On another note, I came across such an interesting quote from a person on another website which I thought I'd share:
"Years ago I dated one his personal assistants. From what she told me, they don't get an "official" salary from the government, but the Queen gives them some sort of allowance under the table, as well as free housing at Kensington Palace. They were always complaining that the Queen was tight with money, even on things like buying cheap toilet paper for the apartments at Kensington. They were even more angry because the Queen Mother apparently spent money like it was going out of style for parties and whatnot, and never got in trouble for it." [Source]

Old 08-01-2010, 01:55 PM
Heir Apparent

Thanks for sharing information with us!
I am not surprised to learn about the vetting process though. The Royal family wanted to be sure that Mrs. Troubridge was an acceptable choice.

Old 08-02-2010, 12:16 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrinceS View Post
He mentions in the Acknowledgements section that he wrote to MC in November 1984 asking for her co-operation and she responded that "all my family, my friends, my schools, educational institutions, etc., have been requested to co-operate with no one with regard to articles or a book about me". There was a discussion in this forum along the lines of why we don't know much about her first husband (and why she rarely speaks of her father but talks incessantly about her mother) and it's apparent that she, or her handlers, want to control information about her.
That is hardly surprising, isn't it? In view of the fact how the British press tried to discredit her family. If Princess of Michael of Kent rarely speaks of her father it has also be kept in mind that he was immaterial in her childhood!

She is forced to control information about her.
Old 08-16-2010, 02:04 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Prince and Princess Michael of Kent in Sardinia for the inauguration of the Arbatax Park Resort.

http://movida.tgcom.it/wpmu/2010/08/...larbatax-park/

Old 08-16-2010, 03:45 PM
Heir Apparent

Thanks for the video update!
It was nice of Prince Michael to speak Italian.
Old 08-16-2010, 05:48 PM
Aristocracy

I can smell botox. Too much botox. I wonder why a woman like that needs it.
Old 08-17-2010, 01:35 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackadder View Post
Because she's worth it, luv.
Old 08-18-2010, 05:30 AM
Heir Apparent

She's worth it, but she doesn't really need it. The couple looks quite fresh and relaxed. Looks like they're enjoying their summer, which is always great. Thanks for the video! :)
Old 08-18-2010, 10:31 AM
Gentry

They look wonderful!
Would someone be kind enough to translate the Prince's speech?
Old 08-19-2010, 05:05 AM
Serene Highness

Her hair looks so pretty like that. She should wear it that way more often. I also love her holiday clothes, very summery looking.
Old 08-19-2010, 08:45 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrinceS View Post
They look wonderful!
Would someone be kind enough to translate the Prince's speech?
What I could understand (there was a very noisy child!) is that the prince thanks the people for the hospitality and says that in that village and house they found the best spirit of Sardinia.
Old 08-23-2010, 03:58 AM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

A few pictures from their trip to Sardinia on August 12:

http://multimedia.ctk.cz/storage/fot...3683902/5.jpeg
http://multimedia.ctk.cz/storage/fot...3683895/5.jpeg
http://multimedia.ctk.cz/storage/fot...3683885/5.jpeg
http://multimedia.ctk.cz/storage/fot...3683886/5.jpeg
http://multimedia.ctk.cz/storage/fot...3683894/5.jpeg

The picture with the baby is sweet, IMO. More pictures can be found here.
Old 08-23-2010, 05:45 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackadder View Post
You'd have to be blind not to see it
Old 08-23-2010, 08:51 PM
Heir Apparent

I wonder how much Italian he speaks? To me, he sounds very much like an Englishman speaking Italian. But I agree that it's a great tribute to at least try to speak the language of the country one is visiting, and he seems to have done that well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_bina View Post
Thanks for the video update!
It was nice of Prince Michael to speak Italian.
Old 08-24-2010, 06:46 PM
Heir Apparent

You are right noting that Prince Michael's command in Italian is not very good, we still have to appreciate the effort.
Old 08-25-2010, 03:01 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

[DNF] Fotoarchief Denieuwsfoto Spetses

Greek wedding.
Old 08-28-2010, 06:32 PM
Commoner

Lady Gabriella Windsor

BUNTE Online - 3 days ago

Bisher der einzige Gast aus dem britischen Königshaus: Lady Gabriella „Ella“ Windsor. Ob Prinz William und seine Kate auch noch eintreffen, um sich für ihre eigene Hochzeit inspirieren zu lassen?

11 von 11

Nikolaos von Griechenland: Die Hochzeitsgäste sind da - Bilder - BUNTE

PRINCESS MICHAEL SAVES THE PENNIES ON A £30 EASYJET FLIGHT

Friday August 27,2010

PRINCESS Michael has long endured a reputation for haughtiness and a love of the high life.

But it was more Princess Penny-pincher than Princess Pushy when she and her husband, the Queen’s cousin, travelled to one of the international royal occasions of the year.

The couple took a £29.99 budget EasyJet flight to Athens, it emerged yesterday.

With their daughter, Lady Gabriella Windsor, 29, they joined a glittering array of European royalty, including the Queens of Spain and Denmark, at the wedding of Prince Nikolaos of Greece to fashion events planner Tatiana Blatnik on the Greek isle of Spetses.

They were the only British royals at the wedding on Wednesday after a curious decision by Buckingham Palace to send no official representatives, even though the families have long been close. “They often travel on EasyJet,” their spokesman Simon Astaire said. “I’ve worked for them for many years and I just don’t recognise them from the way that they’re often portrayed.

“They attended the wedding as friends of the family and not representatives of the British Royal Family.” The Michaels, who were still in Greece yesterday after partying into the early hours at the wedding, are understood to have paid a total of £91.97 each for their trip – £29.99 for their outward journey and £61.98 for the return flight.

Playboy Prince Nikolaos, 40, second son of ex-King Constantine of Greece, and Tatiana, 29, were married at a monastery in a Greek Orthodox ceremony attended by senior royals from Norway, Sweden, Denmark and Spain. Buckingham Palace refused to say why no other British royals went.

Sources close to the family said it was simply because they could not be bothered to break into their holidays. But an aide to ex-King Constantine, who was deposed in 1973 by a military dictatorship, said: “Officially, I know the British wanted to attend but I think it was because of security issues on the island. It was very difficult to ensure that adequate security would be provided.

“It’s a small island and there are no vehicles allowed. The roads are very narrow. The security people for other royals were worried about it and the British Royal Family is always a step or two up on that matter.”

Express.co.uk - Home of the Daily and Sunday Express | UK News :: Princess Michael saves the pennies on a £30 EasyJet flight
Old 08-31-2010, 12:41 PM
Aristocracy

Ok, so...
They often travel by low-cost airlines - so what? If a man can save some money, it's nothing wrong that he does it.

Why they could not represent the Royal Family, as they are its full members? Although they are the less important (for the matters of state), they still are Prince and Princess of the UK! Michael of Kents represented the Queen on several major state events abroad, like coronation of an African king (what is or was his name? I don't want to google it now).

I don't like that the other British royals were not present at the wedding, as they seem to be very close with the Glucksburgs. Only Michael of Kents showed their first class and were there.
Security reasons? It's ridiculous, there were the reigning Queen of Denmark and Queen consort of Spain attending! So, The Prince of Wales or The Princess Royal or the Earl of Wessex need more security than a head of state?
Old 09-01-2010, 11:10 AM
Heir Apparent

I for one think Prince and Princess Michael of Kent do an impeccable job representing the British Royal family. I am surprised to learn that Earl of Wessex requires some serious protection though.
Old 09-02-2010, 04:18 AM
Heir Apparent

I, too, do not believe it was security concerns that prevented the BRF royal family from attending. I am still not sure why they did not attend, as they are quite close to the Greeks