The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 12:16 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russophile View Post
Yes but it certainly didn't help matter for Lord Freddie to go blabbing about how much his father makes in Russia. . .
Quote:
A friend of the couple, whose son, Lord Frederick Windsor, married the actress Sophie Winkleman in September, insists, however: "Don't you worry about their being hard up. Michael makes an awful lot of money in Russia."
It was a so called "friend" who went blabbing but not Lord Freddie.

Old 02-16-2010, 02:01 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westminster View Post
It was a so called "friend" who went blabbing but not Lord Freddie.
Thank you Westminster! Russo has to remember to lay off the Evelyn Woods speed reading courses. They can muck things up a bit.

Old 02-16-2010, 04:52 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbenson View Post
Mystery of Prince Michael's £800,000 cash injection - Telegraph

When Prince Michael of Kent and his two siblings raised £2.1 million at Christie's in November from the sale of more than 300 heirlooms from their late parents' estate, it was widely assumed that the 67-year-old cousin of the Queen was in need of the windfall. Now, however, Mandrake can disclose how precarious Prince and Princess Michael's finances really are.
More power to them if Prince Michael makes money in Russia or any other way. They need to make money some how since they don't receive a stipend.
Old 02-17-2010, 03:38 AM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Princess Michael must live in royal 'theme park' at Kensington Palace

Quote:
As if it weren’t bad enough having to stump up £120,000 a year to rent their apartment at Kensington Palace, Prince and Princess Michael of Kent will find their home being turned into what amounts to a royal theme park.
Princess Michael must live in royal 'theme park' at Kensington Palace - Telegraph
Old 02-17-2010, 05:58 AM
Heir Apparent

They always have the option of moving from KP. Whilst £120,000 pa rent they pay (£2,300 per week) might seem like a lot to some, it is really not very much for the neighbourhood, and for an address like that.
Old 02-20-2010, 08:50 AM
Administrator

Discussion of security costs can be found in the Royal Security thread.
Old 02-22-2010, 03:24 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post
Another quote from the article putting to rest, once again, the "too grand for us" tag:

The princess, now known by her husband’s name, was born Baroness Marie Christine Agnes Hedwig Ida von Reibnitz on January 15, 1945, to a central European aristocratic family in Bohemia, the only daughter of Baron Gunther Hubertus von Reibnitz and Countess Maria Anna Szapary von Muraszombath. The Queen of England famously called her “too grand” for the British royal family. “This is one of those quotes like ‘Let them eat cake’ that has been taken out of context. Basically, Lord Mountbatten [uncle of the Queen’s husband, the Duke of Edinburgh] was trying to sell me to the Queen as a potential wife to Prince Michael. I am Catholic and foreign so it was not an easy sell. He laid it on a bit thick and she came out with the line ‘she sounds a bit too grand for us’. He thought it was terribly funny.”

On the press:

“What happens when you marry into the royal family is your privacy is suddenly gone and you don’t value your privacy until it is no longer there,” she says. “We’re not so interesting now we’re older but I had to send my daughter to America to study so she could be in peace. She is very beautiful and the papers followed her everywhere.”

Like several members of the British royal family, the princess has a tricky relationship with the press, which has dubbed her “Princess Pushy”. The nickname apparently came from Princess Anne, but has been adopted by the British media and public because Princess Michael has a reputation for being rather attention-grabbing. For example, at her son’s wedding, when she wore an extremely low-cut dress, the press accused her of trying to steal the limelight from his bride. Does she think the label is fair? “Life was never meant to be fair,” she says. “You have to deal with the cards you have as best you can. And I am very fortunate to have a wonderful husband who loves me, my children and my health.”

One more sentence to add:

"They will always have to have a bad girl in the family..but I'm not going to have sleepless nights worrying about what the good citizens of Newcastle are thinking about me."
Old 02-22-2010, 10:27 AM
Gentry

In one of my books (wrote by prof Preozarbinski) I have read that Queen called H.R.H. Princess Michaels of Kent "the most royal of princesses", does anyone know is it true, when and in what situation it was?
Old 02-22-2010, 05:00 PM
Heir Apparent

It might have to do with the bio. out on Marie Christine where she traced her blood line to include several ruling houses.
Old 02-22-2010, 05:07 PM
Courtier

Maybe it was ironic due to the fact that she stated that she is the most blue-blooded person to marry into the royal family since Prince Philipp...

So,here is an example how one fact can be "twisted" in eyes of others...
Old 02-22-2010, 05:42 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc23 View Post
One more sentence to add:

"They will always have to have a bad girl in the family..but I'm not going to have sleepless nights worrying about what the good citizens of Newcastle are thinking about me."
Well, I cannot deny that I always liked this particular quote of Marie-Christine.
Old 02-23-2010, 07:45 AM
Courtier

I get the feeling that every time she expresses her own thoughts and feelings she gets bashed for it...at least she is honest about it...
I mean she says that her children are more educated and have better grades than the other royal children...if that is the truth what's wrong about saying it if that is really the case?
If she says she is the most blue blooded person since Prince Philipp she gets also bad attention..she is just aware of this fact and because saying something that every genealogist or every royal expert knows she gets bad press?
If she says she doesn't care about the opinion of the people of a country she lives in?She is used to every kind of twisted opinions from English people for decades now just because she is a German Catholic and proud of it?Is it just because she is different and doesn't want to say something others would like to hear?
Old 02-23-2010, 01:55 PM
Heir Apparent

Don't forget Marc that she's enjoying a lot of grace and favor things from HM, the Queen, who's grandchildren are those that Marie Christine is dissin'.
Old 02-23-2010, 02:09 PM
Heir Apparent

Princess Michael enjoys Her Majesty's grace and favour because Her Majesty likes Prince Michael very much. I find it impossible to compare academic levels between various members of the British royal family.
Old 02-23-2010, 07:04 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc23 View Post
I get the feeling that every time she expresses her own thoughts and feelings she gets bashed for it...at least she is honest about it...
To be upfront with it: I don't want to defend each of her so called 'gaffes', but I agree with you.

We live in times in which political correctness is to be expected and IMHO that isn't exactly MC's strength. I'm not talking about the "back to the colonies"-statement here, because it could have been taken out of context just like HM's statement "she's far too grand for the likes of us"... The same goes with the statement about the education of her children. In the interview, in which she stated this, it seemed to me that she only said it to defend her children because they, Freddie especially, had a bad press at that time. Freddie was called "spoilt, lazy young Royal" etc. and so she tried to explain that he was working and had a good education. The result may have been exaggerating, yes.

However, she often says things which perhaps are that true that no-one wants to hear them or at least aren't expected from a Princess. That might be the main problem.
Old 03-06-2010, 08:05 PM
Serene Highness

Well not really a "current event" but i was able to find a part of an interview of Princess M back in 2005, given for the french publication of her book "the serpent and the moon"... good occasion to hear the princess in french, responding to some delicate questions about racism and facism ...

Vidéo Ina - Interview biographie Princesse de Kent, vidéo Interview biographie Princesse de Kent, vidéo Ardisson Tout le monde en parle - Archives vidéos Ardisson Tout le monde en parle : Ina.fr
Old 03-06-2010, 10:47 PM
Courtier

She mentioned stepmother or...?Don't understand French :-(
Old 03-07-2010, 06:01 AM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Yes, she did. She talked about some of her trips to Mozambique where she visited her father and much more.

Thanks so much for posting this, Nico. It's the first time I hear her en français, not that bad!
Old 03-07-2010, 08:44 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
he mentioned stepmother or...?Don't understand French :-(
She said that Karen Blixen, the famous writer, was a good friend of her step-mother Pcess Marina....
Old 03-07-2010, 08:57 AM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

I think she did mean her father's wife Rosemarie not Princess Marina. Rosemarie had known Karen Blixen indeed very well.