The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-04-2005, 07:30 AM
Aristocracy

While Sophie's comments were more shocking she was rather a novice at the time of her indiscetion. Princess Micheal has been a member of the firm for over 25years now, surely she should have known better?
It does seem sometimes as if the woman can do no right but then again . . .
she rarely does.

Old 09-04-2005, 07:46 AM
Serene Highness

Very good point Georgia.
I do believe she talks too much, as a general rule.
Still, my point was rather that what she said (if it turns out to be true) was rather inoffensive but the was the NOTW present it, you could believe she sold national secrets. And did you notice they say it's the first time one member of the family do such thing, when it the exact same people who trapped Sophie.
I just feel she is once again over-trashed, but certainly, she should have know better.

Old 09-04-2005, 08:16 AM
Aristocracy

You are right that it was pretty inoffensive. I don't think anyone who has read anything about the Queen's character would be surprised that she had misgivings about the wedding. I am not at all religious and I had misgivings although I am now very happy for them.
Old 09-04-2005, 09:51 AM
Royal Highness

I just thought the Michaels must be pretty desperate to unload their country house. How badly could they be financially?
Old 09-04-2005, 10:40 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia
While Sophie's comments were more shocking she was rather a novice at the time of her indiscetion. Princess Micheal has been a member of the firm for over 25years now, surely she should have known better?
It does seem sometimes as if the woman can do no right but then again . . .
she rarely does.
I agree with Georgia on this one.
Old 09-04-2005, 11:02 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incas
I just thought the Michaels must be pretty desperate to unload their country house. How badly could they be financially?
The entire Kent branch of the family has had money problems since the 1st Duke died in 1942. His widow wasn't given a stipend to live off of, and her own family couldn't help out, so she had to sell jewels and furniture in 2 auctions. She finally got a stipend in the 1950s, but by then, the financial decline of the family was sealed. They sold their country home sometime in the 60s or 70s because the 2nd Duke couldn't afford to maintain it. Michael has a trust fund, established when he was born, but he has eateninto the capital to fund his lifestyle, thereby decreasing the amount he earns each year from dividends. They live a rather ostentatious lifestyle compared to his siblings and the Gloucesters (and the Gloucesters easily have more money) and that costs money they just don't have.

They're going to have to leave KP in 2010, so their plan to sell NLM to Freddie for cash to fund their retirement has been ruined. They need the cash to buy a (less-expensive) house and fund their retirement.
Old 09-04-2005, 11:05 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiaraprin
She is selling Nether Lypiatt to stay in Kensington Palace???? I know her brother and sister-in-law are selling their country home also!!
They're selling NLM to fund the purchase of another country home because they have to leave KP in 2010. Which in-laws are selling their home? Alexandra's staying in her house, and the Duke and Duchess just bought a cottage a couple of years ago, and since they're leaving KP in 2010, too, they can't afford to sell it -- they don't have the funds to replace it.
Old 09-04-2005, 01:04 PM
Imperial Majesty

Since they're royal and since Nether Lypiatt is supposed to be an extraordinarily beautiful example of a small country house, and the housing market in the UK hasn't totally tanked, it shouldn't be difficult for them to sell it as long as they're not overpricing it disastrously. I'm not sure what the value of the house ought to be, but six million seems way overpriced from some of the stuff I've seen in the real estate ads in Country Life over the last year or so.
Old 09-04-2005, 01:53 PM
Royal Highness

Wow...six million. I am sure Princess Michael will find away to get the price she wants. She seems to be very astute in such things.

Kelly..you bring up a good point about their glamorous lifestyle. It is not as though they were the king and queen with the appropriate funds to back it up in that respect.
Old 09-04-2005, 03:51 PM
Nobility

None if this is anything new. She didn't say anything that Charles And Diana didn't publicly discuss themselves in books T.V interviews etc. I read the report today and the reporter was clearly hoping for a lot more than he got so he's having to try and over sensationalize the story. It's pathetic!
Old 09-04-2005, 07:30 PM
Royal Highness
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Quote:
From News of the World, Princess Michael talks about the Queen, Charles, etc.

TREACHERY!
By Mazher Mahmood

MONEY-GRABBING Princess Michael of Kent has made a shocking series of deeply offensive revelations about the Royal Family in a grubby bid to sell her £6million home.
http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/stor...ws/news1.shtml

Part 2 from News of the World.

ONLY ROYALS AND HORSES
By Mazher Mahmood
IT WAS the kind of sales pitch you'd expect from Del Boy—but with a cut-glass royal accent replacing the south London twang.

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/stor...ws/news2.shtml
Princess Michael ought to try a new career in real estate sales. How funny.

Or maybe she should go on The Apprentice with Donald Trump!
Old 09-04-2005, 08:04 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowabelle
Or maybe she should go on The Apprentice with Donald Trump!
LOL!!! I'm sure Trump would pick her for the show. Then she would be fired in the first ep for screaming "don't you know who I am" to him. There is no way Trump will put up with anyone with a bigger ego than his own. But what a show it could be!
Old 09-04-2005, 08:42 PM
Nobility

I read the article, and, personally, I really don't think it's that bad. Sure, she said some things about Charles, but, honestly, who doesn't think that guy is strange? The rest of her comments, in my eyes, weren't that bad. Sure, the lady's shameless, but that's somewhat attractive in blonde people.
Old 09-04-2005, 09:39 PM
Royal Highness
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Quote:
LOL!!! I'm sure Trump would pick her for the show. Then she would be fired in the first ep for screaming "don't you know who I am" to him. There is no way Trump will put up with anyone with a bigger ego than his own. But what a show it could be!
You know who she'd be? The European version of Omarosa!!
Old 09-04-2005, 11:21 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowabelle
You know who she'd be? The European version of Omarosa!!
aaahhhh she must be awful! She would become quite a hit in the U.S then! She could be on The Surreal Life!

Old 09-04-2005, 11:46 PM
Imperial Majesty

Perhaps we could get back on topic?
Old 09-05-2005, 12:01 AM
Royal Highness

Princess Michael does have a flair for being very...forward, shall we say, with her thoughts and opinions. I'm sure there must have been a few occasions where the Queen would have loved to have put tape over her mouth to keep her quiet.

Nevertheless, she and Prince Philip do keep me laughing with their gaffes.

I am new to the forums and wanted to say thank you to all who have been so gracious in welcoming me. :)
Old 09-05-2005, 12:05 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
From News of the World, Princess Michael talks about the Queen, Charles, etc.

TREACHERY!
By Mazher Mahmood

MONEY-GRABBING Princess Michael of Kent has made a shocking series of deeply offensive revelations about the Royal Family in a grubby bid to sell her £6million home.
http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/stor...ws/news1.shtml

Part 2 from News of the World.

ONLY ROYALS AND HORSES
By Mazher Mahmood
IT WAS the kind of sales pitch you'd expect from Del Boy—but with a cut-glass royal accent replacing the south London twang.

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/stor...ws/news2.shtml
That is nothing we haven't heard before. I think many of us believe that Prince Charles thought of Princess Diana as a "convenient womb". And that Charles was still with Camilla during their honeymoon. Which tells me that he didn't try very hard to be faithful like he says.

Princess Michael may have said alot but she was really just repeating many of the things I have read on this site about about the family.

Old 09-05-2005, 04:51 AM
Heir Apparent

Some old pics of Prince and Princess Michael:
1.Princess Michael attended the "SPARKS" Celebrity Tournament on 4th July 1994
2.Prince Michael of Kent and Princess Diana of Wales attended The Wimbledon Championship on 3rd July 1994
3.Prince and Princess Michael attended the Sparks Charity Christmas Ball 14th December 1994:
Pictures from Uppa UK:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PssMichael.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	189957   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pws.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	189958   Click image for larger version

Name:	s4.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	189962  
God save Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II
Old 09-05-2005, 12:09 PM
Nobility

The second part of the story, regarding the sale of the house, baffled me. I still don't know what the reporter's point was. She was conducting the sale of her house (or so she thought) something which millions of people do every day. Reading the report one would have thought she was trying to broker a drug deal or something. Whatever terms are agreed between herself and the eventual buyer is purley a matter for them. When I bought my apartment the previous owner left some furniture. How is that an issue?

Tags
prince michael of kent, princess michael of kent