The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-09-2005, 11:27 AM
Serene Highness

The Queen mother, a very strong lady and really brought out the best in her hubby. A ver strong wife and much needed during a time of war.

Old 09-09-2005, 11:33 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Marmalade
Interesting point, Elspeth. When you look down the family bloodline, it does seem that the strong wives of the previous Kings, Princes of Wales, etc. are a much needed necessity by them. Queen Mary really set a lot of precedence for that.
Off the general topic of Prince Michael, but in relation to Queen Mary and her backbone of steel when it came to the dynasty, have a look at "Matriarch: Queen Mary & The House of Windsor" by Anne Edwards. Queen Victoria chose well.

Old 09-09-2005, 11:43 AM
Royal Highness

Thank you Warren. :)

Anne Edwards is an excellent biographer.

I will take a look on the Borders website and see if I can find it there.

I think part of why Princess Michael behaves the way she does is because she feels that she can only go so far within the Royal Family and then a wall is put up to prevent her from really feeling accepted. They way she talks sometimes it seems she feels she has never been wholeheartedly accepted.

But..she and her husband are an elegant and regal looking pair...and personify in pictures what it means to look royal in every sense of the word.
Old 09-09-2005, 02:19 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowabelle
To quote Lou Grant on the Mary Tyler Moore Show: "I hate spunk."

I don't hate Princess Michael, she puzzles me. You'd think after all this time she would have learned some discretion (especially after the Sophie incident).

I've also been very curious about her relationship with Prince Michael. I get the impression she's the dominant partner. Maybe I'm wrong.
Ahhh, your funny! I had to chuckle at your response to my post.
Some spunk is good, to much spunk is no good, IMO of course!
I think the Princess Michael is misrepresented & very misunderstood.
She does seem to be the dominant partner doesn't she; she certainly seems to have the dominant personality! She is very intriguing, I don't think anyone will ever figure her out except maybe her mother, husband & children. She reminds me sometimes of Prince Ernst of Hannover.
Old 09-09-2005, 03:25 PM
Royal Highness
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by lashinka2002
The Queen mother, a very strong lady and really brought out the best in her hubby. A ver strong wife and much needed during a time of war.
Yes, if the young Duke of York had had a flakey wife, that would have been a disaster for him. And the same for the Duke of Gloucester -- it's been so long we forget that he was the next available male heir to the throne. I think it was set up so that he would have been regent for Elizabeth had something happened to George VI.

And the same for Princess Marina. She must have been a very strong-willed and clever woman to manage after her husband's death. It's too bad that the Royal Family didn't make her financial situation easier.

That was a generation of royal men who lucked out in their choice of wives.
Old 09-11-2005, 11:58 PM
Serene Highness

Very true indeed!
Old 09-13-2005, 12:48 PM
Administrator

I read somewhere that Princess Marina actually looked down on Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother (as well as the Princess Alice, Duchess of Gloucester)..she called them the Scottish girls. And whether you agreed with it or not...the Queen Mother could hold a grudge. Not sure if that is the reason for not helping out Princess Marina after her husband died..but just a guess. But I think that the Queen has made up for it...she has supplemented their living arrangements.
Old 09-13-2005, 01:19 PM
Heir Presumptive

I do not understand there are 2 marina's, the very well dressed one who was about the same age as the queen mum or older and I can not believe she is still alive and the marina who was a bit wild and might be about 35?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk1189
I read somewhere that Princess Marina actually looked down on Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother (as well as the Princess Alice, Duchess of Gloucester)..she called them the Scottish girls. And whether you agreed with it or not...the Queen Mother could hold a grudge. Not sure if that is the reason for not helping out Princess Marina after her husband died..but just a guess. But I think that the Queen has made up for it...she has supplemented their living arrangements.
Old 09-13-2005, 01:57 PM
Royal Highness

I think she means Princess Marina the Duchess of Kent, born a princess of Greece, and not Princess Alexandra's daughter Marina Mowatt.....her granddaughter.
Old 09-13-2005, 02:31 PM
Administrator

Yes, Lady Marmalade is correct. I meant Princess Marina of Greece. Sorry about the confusion!
Old 09-13-2005, 02:36 PM
Heir Presumptive

understand now, thanks, it was the present tense that mixed it up for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk1189
Yes, Lady Marmalade is correct. I meant Princess Marina of Greece. Sorry about the confusion!
Old 09-13-2005, 08:19 PM
Administrator

Word on the street (okay..it was a British tabolid) that the Queen is thoroughly disgusted with PMK over this outburst. While I can definitely appreciate the fact that she was set up, but the fake "Sheik" didn't make her say the things she said (regardless of the fact if some of the things she said were true or not.) My comment or questions is this....what is the next major event that the entire family will get together for...and do you think that she will be invited?
Old 09-13-2005, 09:06 PM
Imperial Majesty

Oh, I'm sure the family will present a united front to the outside world, but that doesn't necessarily mean that all's sweetness and light on the inside.
Old 09-14-2005, 02:19 PM
Royal Highness

I've been reading that the Queen was going to help the Kents look for new housing, and now she's so ticked off that she's not going to bother.
Old 09-14-2005, 02:26 PM
Imperial Majesty

Well, honestly, as long as they're not going to get a grace-and-favour house, I assume they can do their own house-hunting without help anyway. Most of us manage without help from the Queen. I wonder exactly what sort of help was meant.

Anyway, wasn't Princess Michael threatening to move out of the country if fox-hunting was banned? Perhaps the Queen might, under the circumstances, be very helpful in their house-hunting enterprise if they really were looking for a place in Spain or South Africa or something.
Old 09-14-2005, 02:38 PM
Royal Highness

Or maybe the Queen could have a word with Harry who has significant friends in Zimbabwe! And Princess Michael could hunt all she wants.

My impression is that the Michaels are having significant money problems (but perhaps I'm wrong).
Old 09-14-2005, 06:32 PM
Royal Highness

Big game hunting in Zimbabwe is expensive. I think I read in Chelsy's thread that her dad's hunting business charges thousands of pounds for each animal. That can rack up the bills really fast. What do people do with the dead animals anyway? I can't imagine eating elephants or tigers. Anyway, Zimbabwe is probably a bad idea. I think the Michaels are more into chasing rabbits.
Old 09-14-2005, 07:06 PM
Royal Highness

I just read that Princess Michael has been approached with the idea of doing a show along the lines of The Osbournes.

Yikes, hope Prince Michael refuses that opportunity! (Although they are looking for a down payment on new living quarters...)
Old 09-14-2005, 07:08 PM
Administrator

You really have to admire PMK...she is spunky. Call me silly...but I would lie low and hope that the Queen doesn't notice me. I seriously doubt that she will do a reality show...she will never get the Honours that way.
Old 09-14-2005, 07:21 PM
Royal Highness

I think she'll have great time on something like The Osbourne. It'll be so much fun. Definitely better than the "American Princess" nonsense.

Tags
prince michael of kent, princess michael of kent