Lady Louise Mountbatten-Windsor News and Pictures 3: October 2005-March 2007

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Princess Robijn said:
Will Lady Louise when she becomes of age, be able to choose to be called HRH Princess Louise of Wessex?? (Princess of the United Kingdom of Great-Britain and Northern Ireland)

Technically, yes. But it remains to be seen whether the decision to style Louise a daughter of an Earl is the first step towards a formal downsizing of family members who are entitled to be prince/princess of the UK with the rank of Royal Highness.

My prediction is new letters patent will be issued which will result in the loss of the titular dignity and rank for Eugenie and Beatrice, and probably Harry as well once William has his first child. They would then retain their royal peerages without royal rank.

selrahc4 said:
The Queen is currently the Duchess of Edinburgh (as the wife of the Duke of Edinburgh), along with her other titles. If one of her sons inherits the Edinburgh title during her lifetime, she would indeed be dowager Duchess of Edinburgh (along with her other titles).

The Queen is the Sovereign and cannot hold a peerage as the fount of honour and source of all enoblement. She held the style and title of HRH the Princess Elizabeth, Duchess of Edinburgh prior to becoming Queen. Once her father died, all of her former styles and titles merged with the Crown.

Assuming Prince Charles survives his father, he would automatically inherit the dukdeom of Edinburgh as the eldest son. Once he becomes King, the dukedom would merge with the Crown and the plan is for him to re-grant it to Prince Edward as the Sovereign.

btsnyder said:
That's another question I've always had. When (if) Edward succeeds to his father's title after it is merged with the Crown, will he and Sophie then be known as the Duke and Duchess of Edinburgh?

If everything goes as planned, Charles III would issue letters patent granting the dukedom of Edinburgh to Prince Edward. He would then be HRH The Duke of Edinburgh, although it is unclear if the new grant would include a remainder for Edward's eldest son to succeed as the new Earl of Wessex and his eldest grandson to assume the courtesy style of Viscount Severn. I assume this would be the case.

If Charles dies before Prince Philip, then Andrew inherits the dukedom of Edinburgh as the next eldest son. A new dukedom could be conferred to Edward by the Queen or a future William V.

branchg said:
If Charles dies before Prince Philip, then Andrew inherits the dukedom of Edinburgh as the next eldest son. A new dukedom could be conferred to Edward by the Queen or a future William V.
Wouldn't Andrew have to give up Duke of York title then? Can he hold two dukedom at the same time?

Incas said:
Wouldn't Andrew have to give up Duke of York title then? Can he hold two dukedom at the same time?

Yes, he can. Andrew would become HRH The Duke of York and Edinburgh.

When the Duke of Clarence died in 1891, Princess Mary of Teck was engaged to marry Eddie, but with his death, his younger brother, George, asked for her hand in marriage instead. They were married in 1892 and Queen Victoria created him Duke of York.

In January 1901, Edward VII ascended the throne as Sovereign and George automatically became Duke of Cornwall and Duke of Rothesay. He was styled HRH The Duke of Cornwall and York until created Prince of Wales. He was then styled HRH The Prince of Wales.

Officially, George's full titles were HRH The Prince of Wales, Duke of Cornwall, Duke of Rothesay, Duke of York, Earl of Chester, Earl of Inverness and Baron Killeagh until he became King in 1910. The Dukedom of York then merged with the Crown until re-granted again for his son, Bertie, when he married Lady Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon.

Last edited:
Claire said:
In many ways I think the problem is with us. Royal children were always seldom seen until they were about seven when they appeared at church and on the balcony. Its just that now with the internet and all the media that we now have, and the celebrities that have young children with them. We expect to see young children with the royals as well.

I admit it-I just want to see more baby Louise pics! :D

branchg said:
Technically, yes. But it remains to be seen whether the decision to style Louise a daughter of an Earl is the first step towards a formal downsizing of family members who are entitled to be prince/princess of the UK with the rank of Royal Highness.

My prediction is new letters patent will be issued which will result in the loss of the titular dignity and rank for Eugenie and Beatrice, and probably Harry as well once William has his first child. They would then retain their royal peerages without royal rank.

Do you mean that HRH Prince Harry looses his title??

As son and brother of Sovereigns, I would doubt, but cousins (Beatrice, Eugenie, etc.) would definitely be "demoted," I assume.

if they intend to push it true, I hope that it won't start, untill the next generation, maybe with the childeren of HRH Prince Harry of Wales.. that way the Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie will keep their title, I also hope that Louise is going to use her Princess title (even though I don't think so)

Last edited:
1. Wouldn't the title go to William if Charles died before his father ?

2. I doubt that Beatrice and Eugenie would be demoted. But Harry's children could be Lord/Lady.

branchg said:
The Queen is the Sovereign and cannot hold a peerage as the fount of honour and source of all enoblement. She held the style and title of HRH the Princess Elizabeth, Duchess of Edinburgh prior to becoming Queen. Once her father died, all of her former styles and titles merged with the Crown.

That's true, she does not hold the peerage, but her husband does, therefore one of her titles is Duchess of Edinburgh, although of course it isn't in common use since she has a higher title.

per: http://www.royal.gov.uk/output/page1925.asp re Duchess of Edinburgh
"The Queen still holds the title, but it is no longer used."

btsnyder said:
As son and brother of Sovereigns, I would doubt, but cousins (Beatrice, Eugenie, etc.) would definitely be "demoted," I assume.

King George V amended the law, that any grandchildren of the monarch, through the male line are styled HRH and stay so throughout their lives, no matter who becomes king. Look at princess Alexandra of Kent, she retained her title eventhough her uncle, then cousin became king, so will be with the princess of York when Charles and William ascend the throne. We are not living in a day and age when there are multitiudes of princes and princesses. (as in the time of Victoria and George IV)

Last edited:
branchg said:
Assuming Prince Charles survives his father, he would automatically inherit the dukdeom of Edinburgh as the eldest son. Once he becomes King, the dukedom would merge with the Crown and the plan is for him to re-grant it to Prince Edward as the Sovereign.

A similar issue happened in the time of QVictoria, as prince Albert was the heir to the title of Sax-coburg and Gotha, whilst Edward VII was the oldest son, as he was heir to the throne, his next brother inherited the title (from Prince Albert's brother) I think this is what will happen here, that Edward will be granted the title.

Princess Robijn said:
if they intend to push it true, I hope that it won't start, untill the next generation, like the childeren of HRH Prince Harry of Wales.. that way the Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie will keep their title, I also hope that Louise is going to use her Princess title (even though I don't think so)

I personally don't like this business of 'unprincessing' heirs who are from a long line of kings and queens. I understand why George V did it but I just don't like it. It doesn't seem right somehow. Younger siblings can only be human if they feel a bit resentful that their children will have lesser titles than the Crown Princes. :(

Queen Mary I said:
I personally don't like this business of 'unprincessing' heirs who are from a long line of kings and queens. I understand why George V did it but I just don't like it. It doesn't seem right somehow. Younger siblings can only be human if they feel a bit resentful that their children will have lesser titles than the Crown Princes. :(

None of George V grandchildren from the male line were given lesser titles, they were all HRH Prince/ess (Kent and Gloucestor) so why would Beatrice and Eugine be demoted?!
BTW in Holland and Denmark (maybe in other countries, I don't know) Only the children of the Crown prince are HRH prince/ess..., in Denmark Joachim's boys are HH Prince... and in Holland Friso and Constatine's are Count/ess.

auntie said:
None of George V grandchildren from the male line were given lesser titles, they were all HRH Prince/ess (Kent and Gloucestor) so why would Beatrice and Eugine be demoted?!
BTW in Holland and Denmark (maybe in other countries, I don't know) Only the children of the Crown prince are HRH prince/ess..., in Denmark Joachim's boys are HH Prince... and in Holland Friso and Constatine's are Count/ess.

I don't think they will go so far as to demote the Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie. Unless they themselves ask for lesser titles when they grow up. Or simply choose not to be known by them.

It is interesting that Edward VII gave his daughter's children the right to be called HH. I am going by long ago when I read this as a child memory here but I think I read that King George V refused to recognize his sister's children as HH or Peers or something along those lines at his Coronation. He would not give them precedence or something about robes?? My memory is foggy. Anyway he was not as advanced thinking as his father in that regard.

Okay I found a link that mentions Edward giving his daughter the Princess Royal's two daughters the dignity of HH:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Princess_Louise%2C_Princess_Royal_and_Duchess_of_Fife

Last edited:
When Louise marries, will she be granted a title of Duchess or Countess? I assume when Zara Phillips marries she will be made a Countess of something, though I doubt her brother Peter will accept a title. I think Zara on the other hand would as she is such a high profile royal.

zeap said:
When Louise marries, will she be granted a title of Duchess or Countess? I assume when Zara Phillips marries she will be made a Countess of something, though I doubt her brother Peter will accept a title. I think Zara on the other hand would as she is such a high profile royal.
Lady Sarah Chatto didn't, and I don't think there will be any title for Zara. Princess Anne decided her children would have no titles and I can't see that changing. Unless of course Zara marries into one, something that Peter can never do.

I've just always gotten the impression that Zara has sort of 'craved' a title. She makes the society pages more than her titled cousins in my opinion. And since she is so close to Charles, and William in particular, I just thought they might 'reward her' so to speak.

zeap said:

No, because she's already a Princess. Whether she chooses to be known by her legal title and rank as an adult remains to be seen. I would assume she will continue to be styled as is, unless she marries someone of superior rank.

Oppie said:
1. Wouldn't the title go to William if Charles died before his father ?

2. I doubt that Beatrice and Eugenie would be demoted. But Harry's children could be Lord/Lady.

I doubt William would become Duke of Edinburgh. If his father died while Philip was still alive, he is likely to become King first. He would then regrant the dukedom to Edward as planned.

I agree Beatrice and Eugenie will likely remain Princesses. They may choose to voluntarily reliniquish their rank when they marry since their children would not have royal titles. Harry's children will likely inherit whatever peerages he is granted upon marriage, but without the rank of Royal Highness.

Warren said:
Lady Sarah Chatto didn't, and I don't think there will be any title for Zara. Princess Anne decided her children would have no titles and I can't see that changing. Unless of course Zara marries into one, something that Peter can never do.

I doubt either Peter or Zara would be interested in receiving a title upon marriage. They seem quite content as Phillips, but of course, the Queen could grant both of them peerages at any time.

branchg said:
I doubt William would become Duke of Edinburgh. If his father died while Philip was still alive, he is likely to become King first. He would then regrant the dukedom to Edward as planned.

I agree Beatrice and Eugenie will likely remain Princesses. They may choose to voluntarily reliniquish their rank when they marry since their children would not have royal titles. Harry's children will likely inherit whatever peerages he is granted upon marriage, but without the rank of Royal Highness.
I thought the title Duke of Edinburg would go to Prince Edward upon Philip's death.

lashinka2002 said:
I thought the title Duke of Edinburg would go to Prince Edward upon Philip's death.

Not directly. Assuming a natural course of events, Charles would inherit the dukedom as eldest son after the death of his father. Once he became King, the dukedom of Edinburgh would merge with the Crown and be available again. He would then grant the dukedom to Prince Edward.

selrahc4 said:
That's true, she does not hold the peerage, but her husband does, therefore one of her titles is Duchess of Edinburgh, although of course it isn't in common use since she has a higher title.

per: http://www.royal.gov.uk/output/page1925.asp re Duchess of Edinburgh
"The Queen still holds the title, but it is no longer used."

The Queen is Sovereign and cannot hold any other title, with the possible exception of Duke of Lancaster while in the duchy. She can only be Her Majesty the Queen.

If she abdicated, she would then revert back to her birthright style of HRH The Princess Elizabeth as well as Duchess of Edinburgh as the wife of the Duke ("HRH The Princess Elizabeth, Duchess of Edinburgh").

sara1981 said:
Lady Louise Rides Out At Windsor With Mum
Thanks Sara, nice pic. Here is a short quote from "The Royalist" at Sara's link:

[FONT=trebuchet,trebuchet ms]Louise is possibly the youngest royal child, at least of recent years, to have been photographed sitting atop a horse.[/FONT]

Warren said:
Thanks Sara, nice pic. Here is a short quote from "The Royalist" at Sara's link:

[FONT=trebuchet,trebuchet ms]Louise is possibly the youngest royal child, at least of recent years, to have been photographed sitting atop a horse.[/FONT]

Just like the Mail to exaggerate 'a very big horse', looks more like a 13 hh pony to me! Lovely picture though and nice to see the love of horses carried on by Sophie with Louise.:)

Is that Sophie's father, Christopher Rhys-Jones guiding the pony? I guess that answers the question of what she got for her birthday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom