The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-10-2005, 12:11 PM
Courtier

1. Wouldn't the title go to William if Charles died before his father ?

2. I doubt that Beatrice and Eugenie would be demoted. But Harry's children could be Lord/Lady.

Old 11-10-2005, 01:39 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by branchg
The Queen is the Sovereign and cannot hold a peerage as the fount of honour and source of all enoblement. She held the style and title of HRH the Princess Elizabeth, Duchess of Edinburgh prior to becoming Queen. Once her father died, all of her former styles and titles merged with the Crown.
That's true, she does not hold the peerage, but her husband does, therefore one of her titles is Duchess of Edinburgh, although of course it isn't in common use since she has a higher title.

per: http://www.royal.gov.uk/output/page1925.asp re Duchess of Edinburgh
"The Queen still holds the title, but it is no longer used."

Old 11-10-2005, 05:11 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by btsnyder
As son and brother of Sovereigns, I would doubt, but cousins (Beatrice, Eugenie, etc.) would definitely be "demoted," I assume.
King George V amended the law, that any grandchildren of the monarch, through the male line are styled HRH and stay so throughout their lives, no matter who becomes king. Look at princess Alexandra of Kent, she retained her title eventhough her uncle, then cousin became king, so will be with the princess of York when Charles and William ascend the throne. We are not living in a day and age when there are multitiudes of princes and princesses. (as in the time of Victoria and George IV)
Old 11-10-2005, 05:15 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Assuming Prince Charles survives his father, he would automatically inherit the dukdeom of Edinburgh as the eldest son. Once he becomes King, the dukedom would merge with the Crown and the plan is for him to re-grant it to Prince Edward as the Sovereign.
A similar issue happened in the time of QVictoria, as prince Albert was the heir to the title of Sax-coburg and Gotha, whilst Edward VII was the oldest son, as he was heir to the throne, his next brother inherited the title (from Prince Albert's brother) I think this is what will happen here, that Edward will be granted the title.
Old 11-10-2005, 11:27 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Robijn
if they intend to push it true, I hope that it won't start, untill the next generation, like the childeren of HRH Prince Harry of Wales.. that way the Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie will keep their title, I also hope that Louise is going to use her Princess title (even though I don't think so)
I personally don't like this business of 'unprincessing' heirs who are from a long line of kings and queens. I understand why George V did it but I just don't like it. It doesn't seem right somehow. Younger siblings can only be human if they feel a bit resentful that their children will have lesser titles than the Crown Princes. :(
Old 11-11-2005, 02:35 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Mary I
I personally don't like this business of 'unprincessing' heirs who are from a long line of kings and queens. I understand why George V did it but I just don't like it. It doesn't seem right somehow. Younger siblings can only be human if they feel a bit resentful that their children will have lesser titles than the Crown Princes. :(
None of George V grandchildren from the male line were given lesser titles, they were all HRH Prince/ess (Kent and Gloucestor) so why would Beatrice and Eugine be demoted?!
BTW in Holland and Denmark (maybe in other countries, I don't know) Only the children of the Crown prince are HRH prince/ess..., in Denmark Joachim's boys are HH Prince... and in Holland Friso and Constatine's are Count/ess.
Old 11-11-2005, 03:01 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntie
None of George V grandchildren from the male line were given lesser titles, they were all HRH Prince/ess (Kent and Gloucestor) so why would Beatrice and Eugine be demoted?!
BTW in Holland and Denmark (maybe in other countries, I don't know) Only the children of the Crown prince are HRH prince/ess..., in Denmark Joachim's boys are HH Prince... and in Holland Friso and Constatine's are Count/ess.
I don't think they will go so far as to demote the Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie. Unless they themselves ask for lesser titles when they grow up. Or simply choose not to be known by them.

It is interesting that Edward VII gave his daughter's children the right to be called HH. I am going by long ago when I read this as a child memory here but I think I read that King George V refused to recognize his sister's children as HH or Peers or something along those lines at his Coronation. He would not give them precedence or something about robes?? My memory is foggy. Anyway he was not as advanced thinking as his father in that regard.

Okay I found a link that mentions Edward giving his daughter the Princess Royal's two daughters the dignity of HH:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Princes...uchess_of_Fife
Old 11-11-2005, 04:58 AM
Gentry

When Louise marries, will she be granted a title of Duchess or Countess? I assume when Zara Phillips marries she will be made a Countess of something, though I doubt her brother Peter will accept a title. I think Zara on the other hand would as she is such a high profile royal.
Old 11-11-2005, 07:27 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeap
When Louise marries, will she be granted a title of Duchess or Countess? I assume when Zara Phillips marries she will be made a Countess of something, though I doubt her brother Peter will accept a title. I think Zara on the other hand would as she is such a high profile royal.
Lady Sarah Chatto didn't, and I don't think there will be any title for Zara. Princess Anne decided her children would have no titles and I can't see that changing. Unless of course Zara marries into one, something that Peter can never do.
Old 11-11-2005, 07:46 AM
Gentry

I've just always gotten the impression that Zara has sort of 'craved' a title. She makes the society pages more than her titled cousins in my opinion. And since she is so close to Charles, and William in particular, I just thought they might 'reward her' so to speak.
Old 11-11-2005, 08:37 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeap
No, because she's already a Princess. Whether she chooses to be known by her legal title and rank as an adult remains to be seen. I would assume she will continue to be styled as is, unless she marries someone of superior rank.
Old 11-11-2005, 08:48 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oppie
1. Wouldn't the title go to William if Charles died before his father ?

2. I doubt that Beatrice and Eugenie would be demoted. But Harry's children could be Lord/Lady.
I doubt William would become Duke of Edinburgh. If his father died while Philip was still alive, he is likely to become King first. He would then regrant the dukedom to Edward as planned.

I agree Beatrice and Eugenie will likely remain Princesses. They may choose to voluntarily reliniquish their rank when they marry since their children would not have royal titles. Harry's children will likely inherit whatever peerages he is granted upon marriage, but without the rank of Royal Highness.
Old 11-11-2005, 08:51 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren
Lady Sarah Chatto didn't, and I don't think there will be any title for Zara. Princess Anne decided her children would have no titles and I can't see that changing. Unless of course Zara marries into one, something that Peter can never do.
I doubt either Peter or Zara would be interested in receiving a title upon marriage. They seem quite content as Phillips, but of course, the Queen could grant both of them peerages at any time.
Old 11-11-2005, 09:03 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
I doubt William would become Duke of Edinburgh. If his father died while Philip was still alive, he is likely to become King first. He would then regrant the dukedom to Edward as planned.

I agree Beatrice and Eugenie will likely remain Princesses. They may choose to voluntarily reliniquish their rank when they marry since their children would not have royal titles. Harry's children will likely inherit whatever peerages he is granted upon marriage, but without the rank of Royal Highness.
I thought the title Duke of Edinburg would go to Prince Edward upon Philip's death.
Old 11-11-2005, 11:32 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by lashinka2002
I thought the title Duke of Edinburg would go to Prince Edward upon Philip's death.
Not directly. Assuming a natural course of events, Charles would inherit the dukedom as eldest son after the death of his father. Once he became King, the dukedom of Edinburgh would merge with the Crown and be available again. He would then grant the dukedom to Prince Edward.
Old 11-11-2005, 11:40 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by selrahc4
That's true, she does not hold the peerage, but her husband does, therefore one of her titles is Duchess of Edinburgh, although of course it isn't in common use since she has a higher title.

per: http://www.royal.gov.uk/output/page1925.asp re Duchess of Edinburgh
"The Queen still holds the title, but it is no longer used."
The Queen is Sovereign and cannot hold any other title, with the possible exception of Duke of Lancaster while in the duchy. She can only be Her Majesty the Queen.

If she abdicated, she would then revert back to her birthright style of HRH The Princess Elizabeth as well as Duchess of Edinburgh as the wife of the Duke ("HRH The Princess Elizabeth, Duchess of Edinburgh").
Old 11-18-2005, 11:47 PM
Heir Apparent

Lady Louise Rides Out At Windsor With Mum
http://www.theroyalist.net/index.php...d=143&Itemid=2
Old 11-19-2005, 07:07 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sara1981
Lady Louise Rides Out At Windsor With Mum
Thanks Sara, nice pic. Here is a short quote from "The Royalist" at Sara's link:

Louise is possibly the youngest royal child, at least of recent years, to have been photographed sitting atop a horse.
Old 11-19-2005, 08:19 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren
Thanks Sara, nice pic. Here is a short quote from "The Royalist" at Sara's link:

Louise is possibly the youngest royal child, at least of recent years, to have been photographed sitting atop a horse.
Just like the Mail to exaggerate 'a very big horse', looks more like a 13 hh pony to me! Lovely picture though and nice to see the love of horses carried on by Sophie with Louise.:)
Old 11-19-2005, 11:44 AM
Courtier

Is that Sophie's father, Christopher Rhys-Jones guiding the pony? I guess that answers the question of what she got for her birthday.

Tags
lady louise, lady louise mountbatten-windsor, louise mountbatten-windsor