The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-09-2005, 12:20 PM
Courtier

In many ways I think the problem is with us. Royal children were always seldom seen until they were about seven when they appeared at church and on the balcony. Its just that now with the internet and all the media that we now have, and the celebrities that have young children with them. We expect to see young children with the royals as well.

Old 11-09-2005, 01:04 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire
In many ways I think the problem is with us. Royal children were always seldom seen until they were about seven when they appeared at church and on the balcony. Its just that now with the internet and all the media that we now have, and the celebrities that have young children with them. We expect to see young children with the royals as well.
I think you are right to a point.
But I honestly think that Edward and Sophie takes this aim of keeping Lady Louise from public eyes too far. Even parents who want their sons privacy respected allow to see them from time to time. It's amazing how a Queen grandson only have 2 pages of her own thread and it is mostly filled with comments and sugestions. I know she is not an exposure object, nor are the other royal members - baby or not - but I am sure that British Royal Family Fans would like to see her more.
It's difficult to say when it is enough because people keep asking for more but all this secrecy make people wonder and that's not fare. For Lady Louise mainly.
Regards :)

Old 11-09-2005, 02:28 PM
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Picture of the Month Representative - Denmark
Royal Blogger

Will Lady Louise when she becomes of age, be able to choose to be called HRH Princess Louise of Wessex?? (Princess of the United Kingdom of Great-Britain and Northern Ireland)
Old 11-09-2005, 02:31 PM
Aristocracy

Yes, she will. But will most likely choose not to use them, IMO. She would most likely be styled HRH Princess Louise of Edinburgh at that point, no?

That's another question I've always had. When (if) Edward succeeds to his father's title after it is merged with the Crown, will he and Sophie then be known as the Duke and Duchess of Edinburgh? And isn't the Queen technically the Duchess of Edinburgh? How would that work?
Old 11-09-2005, 02:38 PM
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger

I am not sure, but I believe the Queen isn't the Duchess of Edinburgh in her own right, so maybe she will no longer use the title of Duchess of Edinburgh after hur husband has past away
Old 11-09-2005, 02:39 PM
Aristocracy

Maybe she will become the dowager Duchess of Edinburgh?
Old 11-09-2005, 02:44 PM
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger

I don't think so, because her other titles are way more important... but who knows... let's hope we won't be knowing it soon, I hope that Prince Phillip will live for a long time :) :)
Old 11-09-2005, 03:54 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by btsnyder
Maybe she will become the dowager Duchess of Edinburgh?
The Queen is currently the Duchess of Edinburgh (as the wife of the Duke of Edinburgh), along with her other titles. If one of her sons inherits the Edinburgh title during her lifetime, she would indeed be dowager Duchess of Edinburgh (along with her other titles).
Old 11-09-2005, 04:03 PM
Heir Apparent

At Tuesday's State Banquet, The Earl and Countess of Wessex were not there,a s i ahve read on the list at the British Royal Website and they also did not have engagements on Tuesday.I thinkthey would have spent a day with Louise on her birthday.
God save Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II
Old 11-09-2005, 06:53 PM
Heir Presumptive

Happy Birthday Lady Louise!!!! :)
Old 11-09-2005, 07:00 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Robijn
Will Lady Louise when she becomes of age, be able to choose to be called HRH Princess Louise of Wessex?? (Princess of the United Kingdom of Great-Britain and Northern Ireland)
Technically, yes. But it remains to be seen whether the decision to style Louise a daughter of an Earl is the first step towards a formal downsizing of family members who are entitled to be prince/princess of the UK with the rank of Royal Highness.

My prediction is new letters patent will be issued which will result in the loss of the titular dignity and rank for Eugenie and Beatrice, and probably Harry as well once William has his first child. They would then retain their royal peerages without royal rank.
Old 11-09-2005, 07:06 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by selrahc4
The Queen is currently the Duchess of Edinburgh (as the wife of the Duke of Edinburgh), along with her other titles. If one of her sons inherits the Edinburgh title during her lifetime, she would indeed be dowager Duchess of Edinburgh (along with her other titles).
The Queen is the Sovereign and cannot hold a peerage as the fount of honour and source of all enoblement. She held the style and title of HRH the Princess Elizabeth, Duchess of Edinburgh prior to becoming Queen. Once her father died, all of her former styles and titles merged with the Crown.

Assuming Prince Charles survives his father, he would automatically inherit the dukdeom of Edinburgh as the eldest son. Once he becomes King, the dukedom would merge with the Crown and the plan is for him to re-grant it to Prince Edward as the Sovereign.
Old 11-09-2005, 07:13 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by btsnyder
That's another question I've always had. When (if) Edward succeeds to his father's title after it is merged with the Crown, will he and Sophie then be known as the Duke and Duchess of Edinburgh?
If everything goes as planned, Charles III would issue letters patent granting the dukedom of Edinburgh to Prince Edward. He would then be HRH The Duke of Edinburgh, although it is unclear if the new grant would include a remainder for Edward's eldest son to succeed as the new Earl of Wessex and his eldest grandson to assume the courtesy style of Viscount Severn. I assume this would be the case.

If Charles dies before Prince Philip, then Andrew inherits the dukedom of Edinburgh as the next eldest son. A new dukedom could be conferred to Edward by the Queen or a future William V.
Old 11-09-2005, 08:07 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by branchg
If Charles dies before Prince Philip, then Andrew inherits the dukedom of Edinburgh as the next eldest son. A new dukedom could be conferred to Edward by the Queen or a future William V.
Wouldn't Andrew have to give up Duke of York title then? Can he hold two dukedom at the same time?
Old 11-09-2005, 09:26 PM
Heir Presumptive

I fund this old article from Saint Moritz. somebody have some photos from that day?
http://www.anorak.co.uk/news.cfm?id=165256
Today the world has embraced new royal Princesses in the form of Mary of Denmark and Maxima of the Netherlands. But it's questionable whether even these hugely popular, increasingly glamorous future Queens will ever capture the world's imagination in the same way as Diana.
As Mario acknowledges: "She really was a true Princess".
-www.theroyalist.net-
Old 11-09-2005, 10:55 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incas
Wouldn't Andrew have to give up Duke of York title then? Can he hold two dukedom at the same time?
Yes, he can. Andrew would become HRH The Duke of York and Edinburgh.

When the Duke of Clarence died in 1891, Princess Mary of Teck was engaged to marry Eddie, but with his death, his younger brother, George, asked for her hand in marriage instead. They were married in 1892 and Queen Victoria created him Duke of York.

In January 1901, Edward VII ascended the throne as Sovereign and George automatically became Duke of Cornwall and Duke of Rothesay. He was styled HRH The Duke of Cornwall and York until created Prince of Wales. He was then styled HRH The Prince of Wales.

Officially, George's full titles were HRH The Prince of Wales, Duke of Cornwall, Duke of Rothesay, Duke of York, Earl of Chester, Earl of Inverness and Baron Killeagh until he became King in 1910. The Dukedom of York then merged with the Crown until re-granted again for his son, Bertie, when he married Lady Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon.
Old 11-09-2005, 11:42 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire
I admit it-I just want to see more baby Louise pics!
Old 11-10-2005, 10:44 AM
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by branchg
Technically, yes. But it remains to be seen whether the decision to style Louise a daughter of an Earl is the first step towards a formal downsizing of family members who are entitled to be prince/princess of the UK with the rank of Royal Highness.

My prediction is new letters patent will be issued which will result in the loss of the titular dignity and rank for Eugenie and Beatrice, and probably Harry as well once William has his first child. They would then retain their royal peerages without royal rank.
Do you mean that HRH Prince Harry looses his title??
Old 11-10-2005, 11:51 AM
Aristocracy

As son and brother of Sovereigns, I would doubt, but cousins (Beatrice, Eugenie, etc.) would definitely be "demoted," I assume.
Old 11-10-2005, 12:10 PM
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger

if they intend to push it true, I hope that it won't start, untill the next generation, maybe with the childeren of HRH Prince Harry of Wales.. that way the Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie will keep their title, I also hope that Louise is going to use her Princess title (even though I don't think so)

Tags
lady louise, lady louise mountbatten-windsor, louise mountbatten-windsor