The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-18-2005, 10:25 PM
Royal Highness
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frothy
Iowabelle

Well, the UK has an excellent aristocracy. It seems wrong that children and grandchildren of mere marquises and non-royal dukes should get courtesy titles whereas the grandchildren of a monarch just be Mr. Windsor. Also, think of the resentment, I'm Joe Bloggs and my brother is a Prince!

Throw 'em a bone, for goodness sake
Maybe it would be a sign of the forward-thinking of the House of Windsor! (Wouldn't that be unique?) And a sign that the monarchy is in tune with the people, instead of the aristocrats. (I know, now I'm sounding like I'm a French revolutionary.)

Old 08-18-2005, 11:28 PM
Administrator

More on Louise & Titles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frothy
If a Royal Highness falls alone in a forest... does anybody hear it?
We do! (plaintive cry)
Which is why we are still discussing the denial of the HRH to Lady Louise, although legally under Letters Patent she is a Princess of the United Kingdom with the style of Royal Highness.

Quote:
BTW, I think Louise may have been styled a Lady since her parents were aware of her birth defect. In order to avoid the spotlight and cruel ridicule, they may have preferred to give up the royal dignity for her.
I think this an unlikely reason as it implies that only perfect physical specimens will be allowed the Royal dignity; ie even a minor (and perhaps temporary) physical imperfection is enough to disqualify a child from their legal birthright. I don't think the Windsors are that harsh!

Old 08-18-2005, 11:35 PM
Imperial Majesty

I'm not sure they even knew about the defect when her name was announced.
Old 08-19-2005, 12:38 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowabelle
Maybe it would be a sign of the forward-thinking of the House of Windsor! (Wouldn't that be unique?) And a sign that the monarchy is in tune with the people, instead of the aristocrats. (I know, now I'm sounding like I'm a French revolutionary.)
I agree. And, after all, Peter and Zara Philips hold no titles or royal dignities and they seem to be doing just fine without it.
Old 08-19-2005, 12:55 AM
Gentry

Quote:
I agree. And, after all, Peter and Zara Philips hold no titles or royal dignities and they seem to be doing just fine without it.
Oh really? Zara Phillips might not have a royal title, but she gets more press than William at times- and enjoys it!

However you are right about Peter... He seems to be doing fine without it, so the situation is two-fold I guess..
Old 08-19-2005, 07:48 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth
Quote:
Under prima genitor rules it is Prince Michaelís older brother, The Duke of Kent, who carries out official duties which are included in the Court Circular. Prince Michaelís sister, Princess Alexandra, was asked by the Queen to undertake such duties because of a lack of female members of the family during the 1960s.

Oh, blimey, that's stretching it a bit. The Queen, the Queen Mother, Princess Margaret, the Duchess of Gloucester (Princess Alice, not the present one), the Duchess of Kent, and Princess Marina were all active in the 1960s. I wonder what the real reason was.
What else was there for a royal princess to do in those days? Work wasn't an option, so that left marriage, motherhood, and duties -- exactly what Alexandra did.
Old 08-19-2005, 12:43 PM
Royal Highness
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Quote:
I think this an unlikely reason as it implies that only perfect physical specimens will be allowed the Royal dignity; ie even a minor (and perhaps temporary) physical imperfection is enough to disqualify a child from their legal birthright. I don't think the Windsors are that harsh!
I agree. We all hope that Louise's eye condition can be fixed. If not, Louise won't be the first royal with a visible physical issue (consider Princess Christina of the Netherlands). I don't think that people would be cruel to her either on account of it.

My personal belief is that, given Edward's difficulty being taken seriously since he has an HRH and the accusations that he has used it for personal gain, Edward and Sophie might have decided to spare their children the burden of an HRH so that they can have more personal freedom.
Old 08-19-2005, 12:54 PM
Nobility

It's not to do with being "deprived of" or "not allowed" the Royal dignity. It may have been a decision Sophie and Edward took to protect Louise from the extra scrutiny that comes with an HRH.

The Queen is not about depriving people of titles. She apparently offered Anne to create her children Prince/ss under new letters patent, but Anne declined. She offered Diana an HRH in her own right. She permitted the dowager duchess of Gloucester to style herself 'Princess Alice, Duchess of Gloucester' as though Alice were a princess of the blood!

Many RF members prefer the privacy for themselves or their children of no titles; Anne and Edward seem to be two of those.
Old 08-19-2005, 12:57 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly9480
What else was there for a royal princess to do in those days? Work wasn't an option, so that left marriage, motherhood, and duties -- exactly what Alexandra did.
Princess Alexandra was in the same position that many other women were in who didn't have the option of royal duties. At the time she married, it wasn't usual for women to have careers; marriage and motherhood were the norm, and she could presumably have devoted herself to her family and to local charity work like other upper-class ladies. Before her marriage she was involved in private charity work and part-time nursing, IIRC.

I'm just saying that this business about there not being enough other royal ladies sounds like an excuse. There were quite enough other royal ladies to be going on with.
Old 08-19-2005, 12:59 PM
Imperial Majesty

Well, it'll be interesting to see if Lady Louise does decide to start using her title at some point. Or if she starts being known as HRH Princess Louise of Edinburgh if her father is granted the Edinburgh title in the future.
Old 08-19-2005, 12:59 PM
Nobility

Iowa

Quote:
And a sign that the monarchy is in tune with the people, instead of the aristocrats. (I know, now I'm sounding like I'm a French revolutionary.)
LOL! But I don't think you understand the British mind. The British are not Americans - we like titles; we like that we have a monarchy and an aristocracy. We like that Paul McCartney gets knighted. We follow the Honours list twice a year with great interest, it's front-page stuff.

The people like having an aristocracy and they like titles. Anne's children only don't have them because titles and arms pass through (usually) men. There's something I'd like to see changed.
Old 08-19-2005, 01:03 PM
Nobility

Quote:
HRH Princess Louise of Edinburgh

A gorgeous title and it is good if the RF has some uniquely Scots titles.
Old 08-19-2005, 05:11 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowabelle
My personal belief is that, given Edward's difficulty being taken seriously since he has an HRH and the accusations that he has used it for personal gain, Edward and Sophie might have decided to spare their children the burden of an HRH so that they can have more personal freedom.
I believe I read somewhere this was the intent in styling Louise as a daughter of an Earl, rather than a princess of the UK. Although, in my opinion, since everyone knows she is royal, I fail to see how it will make much of a difference in terms of publicity or "burden". Being royal IS a burden by its very definition, due to the duty involved.
Old 08-19-2005, 05:12 PM
Gentry

I agree. We all hope that Louise's eye condition can be fixed. If not, Louise won't be the first royal with a visible physical issue (consider Princess Christina of the Netherlands). I don't think that people would be cruel to her either on account of it.

As an American, who is/was Princess Christiana of the Netherlands?
Old 08-19-2005, 05:17 PM
Imperial Majesty

Princess Christina is the youngest sister of Queen Beatrix. She was born blind because her mother contracted rubella during a royal visit while pregnant.

There's a very short thread about her in the Dutch forum:

Princess Christina and Family, Current Events Part 1 (June 2003 - )

and you can see her in photos of events where the whole family attends, such as weddings and funerals. She married a Catholic and they divorced some years later; she isn't in the line of succession to the throne, as far as I know.
Old 08-19-2005, 05:20 PM
Gentry

Thank you so much for answering my question. I think The Royal Forums is very helpful and also very educational. I have learned so much about royalty around the world and find it very interesting.
Old 08-20-2005, 03:53 AM
Courtier

I don't think the eye problem, if Louise has it- will in any way be visible enought to create problems of unaccepability. Many people are blind in one eye or have glass eyes and live normal lives. Look at Demi Moore whose left eye is a glass eye. Or Krisa Kyck, (I think I spelt that wrong - actress in Smallville, Earthsea and Snow White). She has a slight squint and no- one minds. Somethings people surprise even me.
Old 08-20-2005, 11:53 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire
I don't think the eye problem, if Louise has it- will in any way be visible enought to create problems of unaccepability. Many people are blind in one eye or have glass eyes and live normal lives. Look at Demi Moore whose left eye is a glass eye. Or Krisa Kyck, (I think I spelt that wrong - actress in Smallville, Earthsea and Snow White). She has a slight squint and no- one minds. Somethings people surprise even me.
What? I didn't know.

About Louise, if her eye is a problem, it will be her own problem, but I don't think it will be a social problem.
Old 08-20-2005, 12:31 PM
Nobility

pics of holidays

Old 08-20-2005, 01:20 PM
Courtier

Pregnant or not, Sophie doesn't look always the same. Here she's quite different from the picture from the last garden party. Especially her legs, which look... er... less thin.

Tags
lady louise, lady louise mountbatten-windsor, louise mountbatten-windsor