The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-25-2006, 06:01 AM
Nobility

well said :)

whether she was endorsing Richard Branson's logo or giving them the finger, its inappropriate. Its tacky to endorse some product like an advertising campaign, and its unlady like to show your frustration in such a way.

Old 06-25-2006, 06:18 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by melike2
Basic etiquette! :) It's exactly the thing she is in dire need! As well as everybody else who thinks it is not a big deal. A sophisticated woman shouldn't do such a thing, no matter what the circumstances are. Oh, wait! Did I say sophisticated? Sorry, that's not Kate!

Supposing the sign was meant to stand for Virgin.... if it is so, how can you say she is not courting the press? What is it then?

Ok, she made a mistake. Everybody does time to time...but praising her for it! Oh come on! What would you say if the queen did this when she decided she had enough of the photographers? Ok, Kate is not queen yet...but maybe she'll be one day...(although I don't think she is suitable for the role)
Finally someone who agrees with me! I was beginning of think that everyone was telling me off for saying that.

Old 06-25-2006, 07:52 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by princesslily
^ But Kate is British and so using the British meaning of this hand gesture. Also if this gesture was meant for her to show the V-sign of the Virgin company or peace, then I think that is even more stupid knowing full well the British meaning of that gesture!:(
The facts are that you don't know and it seems to be in an individuals mind what it may or may not have meant. In the UK it is not really seen as abnormal and many people use it, (lower, middle, upper and aristocratic classes). It is all to do with what was meant by the people involved. As this headline shows, the press will go with an attention grabbing headline knowing that some people will not read the actual story.

Prince William's girlfriend shocks photographers!
London: Kate Middleton, British royal Prince William's girlfriend, shocked photographers by making apparently rude gestures when she left a London nightclub.
http://www.newkerala.com/news3.php?a...lnews&id=13676
Old 06-25-2006, 07:56 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgirl
i can't imagine if princess diana or camilla have flashed something like that to the press all thru their lives. Im sorry for this sour opinion of mine, i dont intend to argue but this is my personal opninion. maybe you can marry your way into royalty.. but you earn your way into good reputation.
Neither Diana nor Camilla were or have been snapped doing the 'V' but, I'm sure they have used it on more than one occasion. Didn't Diana attack a photographer, take his camera, rip the film out and then throw it at him?
Old 06-25-2006, 09:02 AM
Administrator

I don't think she attacked a photographer...but she did come up to them when she was skiing with the kids and asked them not to take pictures of the children (William and Harry) as it was scaring them.
Old 06-25-2006, 10:21 AM
Imperial Majesty

"But when he refused, she turned to Kevin Duggan, a 28-year-old Irishman passing by. Mr Beirne said he was forced into a painful armlock and thrust against a wall while the Princess screamed: "Get the film".

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/htmlConte.../02/ndi02.html

None of the Royal Families are saints, is the point I was making, Kate who is not even a member yet, is being torn apart by some it would seem!:)
Old 06-25-2006, 10:32 AM
Royal Highness

I don't think Kate is being "torn apart". Her gesture seems over the top, given the photos taken of her weren't that close up, and she was at a celebrity event that would have attracted a lot of press without her. Now nothing has been written about any photographs shouting abuse at her. If that was the case, her finger salute would be understandable. Everything has a context. Though as another poster pointed out, Kate does seem to be enjoying more of her celebrity status. I'm sure most 24-yr olds would be thrilled to be invited to parties like the one Mr Branson gave. But the lady is damned if she decides to make the most of it and have a good time, or gets labeled as a bad sport for not smiling.
Old 06-25-2006, 10:59 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon
Dear, dear. I think I must be careful too because I didn't know the rudness under that gesture. I thought it's just a Victory or Peace gesture, that's it - I do it all the time.
A peace sign is with the palm facing out. A V sign is like flicking someone off -- palm in.
Old 06-25-2006, 11:09 AM
Nobility

I was away for the weekend and was kinda shocked to see Kate dancing like a drunk lunatic in one paper and her giving V in another.

This girl has not put a foot wrong for years and all of a sudden she is getting bad press for doing very stupid things.

Don;t care what anyone says, going to social events that are media based is not doing her or William any favours.

It makes you wonder what is the real Kate, is the sweet, butter wouldn;t melt Kate all an act to look good for William.
Old 06-25-2006, 11:11 AM
Royal Highness

i have to say the gesture certainly looks like she's flipping them off. if it was the victory sign, the thumb and last 2 fingers would be closed. it still doesn't change my opinion of her though. she's been wonderful through it all and if she's done something as mild as this then we can hardly fault her. would you rather see her break down in tears in public? then everyone would accuse her of being over dramatic...the poor girl can't win. as for taking advantage of her relationship by going accepting invitations such as this one...ANYONE in this situation would do the same thing. now that she socializes with these people there's nothing wrong with her attending these events it makes perfect sense. should she say no to all these people? that would be ridiculous.
Old 06-25-2006, 11:14 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon
"But when he refused, she turned to Kevin Duggan, a 28-year-old Irishman passing by. Mr Beirne said he was forced into a painful armlock and thrust against a wall while the Princess screamed: "Get the film".

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/htmlConte.../02/ndi02.html

None of the Royal Families are saints, is the point I was making, Kate who is not even a member yet, is being torn apart by some it would seem!:)
Well I stand corrected :) But I totally agree with your statement regarding people being torn apart.

Some people need to relax. It appears that the sign that Kate expressed can be viewed many things by different people. Personally...to me it represents the Peace sign. She is not yet a member of the Royal Family..and considering some of the things that they have done...this is relatively minor.

And Duchess I totally agree with your comments about Kate socializing. Do people expect her just to sit at home?! And in reference to the comment about her hanging out with her friends...how do you know she isn't? You can't judge someone on a 10 second snapshot.

I personally don't know why some people can't admit they just don't like her (which they are certainly entitled to do) and stop nit picking. :)
Old 06-25-2006, 11:28 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk1189
Some people need to relax. It appears that the sign that Kate expressed can be viewed many things by different people.
Exactly and she was at an event organised by 'V'irgin.
She would have been fully aware of the photographers, the only thing she forgot, was that some will use anything to try to show her in a bad light.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk1189
I personally don't know why some people can't admit they just don't like her (which they are certainly entitled to do) and stop nit picking. :)
Well said! :)
Old 06-25-2006, 12:28 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by melike2
Basic etiquette! :) It's exactly the thing she is in dire need! As well as everybody else who thinks it is not a big deal. A sophisticated woman shouldn't do such a thing, no matter what the circumstances are. Oh, wait! Did I say sophisticated? Sorry, that's not Kate!

Supposing the sign was meant to stand for Virgin.... if it is so, how can you say she is not courting the press? What is it then?

Ok, she made a mistake. Everybody does time to time...but praising her for it! Oh come on! What would you say if the queen did this when she decided she had enough of the photographers? Ok, Kate is not queen yet...but maybe she'll be one day...(although I don't think she is suitable for the role)
So what you're saying is that Kate is not sophisticated, she's courting the press (by making the V sign for Virgin), she made a mistake, she's not queen yet.

So if its all true, its hardly shocking and worthy of condemnation and its hardly grounds to say she won't be suitable for Queen one day, which is an event far enough into the future anyway after the deaths of both the Queen and Prince Charles.
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 06-25-2006, 12:30 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamyah
This lady is becoming overexposed & famous for no apparent reason other than for dating a prince. I would suggest that she goes back to her discreet life and stop attending every celebrity party scene, it makes her look like a fluffy, useless socialite. From the latest news and pictures of her looking drunk and flipping the papparazzi, it seems to be someone in desperate need for a serious media training, if not basic etique.
I have to admit that if I were invited to a party given by Richard Branson, I'd definitely go although I'm not a socialite. He's a fascinating character and I imagine he has an interesting group of people at his affairs.
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 06-25-2006, 12:36 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmieLou
I was away for the weekend and was kinda shocked to see Kate dancing like a drunk lunatic in one paper and her giving V in another.
While I agree that giving the V was in bad taste, I don't think she looked like a drunk lunatic while dancing. Having been to clubs and parties myself, I thought it looked rather tame and fun - nothing to disapprove of in my book. However, as I wasn't there, I have no idea what it was like. Perhaps she did have a bit much to drink - the "V" sign seemed out of character for her. Oh well, it happens.
Old 06-25-2006, 12:58 PM
Gentry

I agree with grevinnan, the photo looks like it was touched up. I tried doing it exactly the way she did just for kicks after reading her comment. Then turned my hand around and my knuckles are in a straight line. On her hand the knuckles of the fingers making the V sign are not even there. Hmmmm.....
Old 06-25-2006, 01:06 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamyah
This lady is becoming overexposed & famous for no apparent reason other than for dating a prince. I would suggest that she goes back to her discreet life and stop attending every celebrity party scene, it makes her look like a fluffy, useless socialite. From the latest news and pictures of her looking drunk and flipping the papparazzi, it seems to be someone in desperate need for a serious media training, if not basic etique.
Unfortunately for Kate the press will not leave her alone - as long as she dates PW she's considered fair game by the paps and the media. As for her looking drunk - i've seen the pix she didn't look drunk to me. Just looked like another twentysomething pretty woman enjoying herself.

As for the 'V' sign. Yes she shouldn't have done it. But apart from that i APPLAUD her for the way she's coped with the spotlight so far.
Old 06-25-2006, 01:30 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastiana
A peace sign is with the palm facing out. A V sign is like flicking someone off -- palm in.
Thanks for explaining that, Sebastiana. At least now I won't get into troubles when i am in London.:)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon
Exactly and she was at an event organised by 'V'irgin.
She would have been fully aware of the photographers, the only thing she forgot, was that some will use anything to try to show her in a bad light.
That does make sense, I mean V could stand Virgin studios.
There could be many explanations.
Queen Elizabeth: "I cannot lead you into battle, I do not give you laws or administer justice but I can do something else, I can give you my heart and my devotion to these old islands and to all the peoples of our brotherhood of nations." God, Save The Queen!
Old 06-25-2006, 01:37 PM
Royal Highness

so now that we've all speculated about the hand gesture...could we move on to something else??
Old 06-25-2006, 03:55 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysbel
So what you're saying is that Kate is not sophisticated, she's courting the press (by making the V sign for Virgin), she made a mistake, she's not queen yet.

So if its all true, its hardly shocking and worthy of condemnation and its hardly grounds to say she won't be suitable for Queen one day, which is an event far enough into the future anyway after the deaths of both the Queen and Prince Charles.
I didn't say this is why she is not suitably to be queen one day.
What I meant is that her whole behaviour seems affected FOR ME. As if she tries to be somebody she is not. But now the real Kate has strated to come out and there will be not so nice acts from her. Sorry for saying this but I find her very irritating. And yes: she is NOT sophisticated. I won't change that... But of course it doesn't mean others can't have different opinion about her... I just said what I felt.

Closed Thread

Tags
kate middleton