The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-24-2006, 12:59 PM
Serene Highness

thanks for the info, being across the pond i thought churchill used the v sign for victory and then it caught on as a peace sign. i use the peace sign all the time, hope i haven't insulted anybody by mistake. i can't believe that's what she meant to do, she hasn't really put a foot wrong yet, i'd be surprised if she started now. imo she's a pretty young lady in her 20's doing what most do, party with friends, have fun and shop. (yes i know they also work, but we don't know she doesn't) they only gets photos of her shopping and going out, a very limited exposure to her day to day life. i'm just thankfu she seems well brought up and down to earth, it could be worse she could be a charlene with cigs hanging out of her mouth and inappropriate clothes and behaviour.

Old 06-24-2006, 02:28 PM
Gentry

i can't imagine if princess diana or camilla have flashed something like that to the press all thru their lives. but no, i don't think they've ever than done that, although considering what they've gone thru with the press. just recall the pictures of both of them when they're skirts were hiked up <of course, the most recent was camilla's> and the photogs took advantage. and the nest day, you'll read it in the morning papers with extra ridiculed editorial. things lilke that happened a lot of time. but camilla didnt budge up and put some V hand signal.

Im sorry for this sour opinion of mine, i dont intend to argue but this is my personal opninion. maybe you can marry your way into royalty.. but you earn your way into good reputation.

Old 06-24-2006, 03:50 PM
Heir Apparent

Dear, dear. I think I must be careful too because I didn't know the rudness under that gesture. I thought it's just a Victory or Peace gesture, that's it - I do it all the time.
While if it was rude hand gesture (I mean, if Kate intended it to be one), it really, well, rude and impolite. Many Royals go through hell because of the press but none of them (as long as I know) did a thing like that.
But couldn't it be that she didn't intbend it to be the rude gesture? What if she, due to some reasons, was showing Victory or Peace?
Queen Elizabeth: "I cannot lead you into battle, I do not give you laws or administer justice but I can do something else, I can give you my heart and my devotion to these old islands and to all the peoples of our brotherhood of nations." God, Save The Queen!
Old 06-24-2006, 04:03 PM
Gentry

IMO under the circumstances she's in, i don't think she's showing a Victory sign to the photographers.
Old 06-24-2006, 04:14 PM
Courtier

Yes, I think Kate probably learned from the V sign experience. Here in the US, it it not a big deal. I have done it plenty of times. Funny how different parts of the world have different signs and whatnot. Some of us may think it is rude, while others think nothing of it. I personally wouldn't have, if someone wouldn't have said what it meant in England.
Old 06-24-2006, 04:16 PM

I can't believe people make sudge a big deal out of this because I don't think that kate meant anything rude by this because that would mean she has no brains. I think the V may have stood for the virgins company? or maybe she was just being weird with her fingers. Don't really know what she meant by this but I don't think she would be stupid enough to make rude handgestures or at least not with the paparazzi around.:o
Old 06-24-2006, 04:36 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by little_princess
I think the V may have stood for the virgins company? or maybe she was just being weird with her fingers. Don't really know what she meant by this but I don't think she would be stupid enough to make rude handgestures or at least not with the paparazzi around.:o
probably true. but in any rate, i've seen so many pictured hand signals from celebrities who were so pissed off with photogs. so its natural for somebody to think it was meant as rude the first time you'd see this picture.
Old 06-24-2006, 07:47 PM
Royal Highness

Since I live in the U.S., the "V" sign meaning the same thing as the middle finger is something new to me. To me, it doesn't really mean anything since people do it all the time here who mean no offense. If Kate is truly "flicking" off the media I hope this is just a one-time thing.
Old 06-24-2006, 09:01 PM
Aristocracy

^ But Kate is British and so using the British meaning of this hand gesture. Also if this gesture was meant for her to show the V-sign of the Virgin company or peace, then I think that is even more stupid knowing full well the British meaning of that gesture!:(
Old 06-24-2006, 10:21 PM
Heir Apparent

I've always understood the palm-inward "V" sign to have the Agincourt-related defiance meaning which Skydragon noted. Built into that is a certain amount of "go to hell", too, of course, but I find it amusing rather than offensive.

I first saw it used by Danny Thomas on his US TV show decades ago. I was very young and it was a family show, and I suppose that's why I have always taken it to be a mild and just naughty way of expressing frustration and defiance. I liken it to saying "bloody" or "blasted" when the "f" word could be used instead. It's a gesture I've often used, and I think it has a completely different meaning from "the finger".

And as for it not being appropriate for someone connected with the Royal Family, I vividly recall the Princess Royal telling photographers to "naff off".

It's not a big deal on my scale.
Old 06-24-2006, 10:30 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn
I've always understood the palm-inward "V" sign to have the Agincourt-related defiance meaning which Skydragon noted...
Yes, that's what I'd always thought about the "V" as well - not quite as strong as the finger.
Old 06-25-2006, 02:30 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by princesslily
^ But Kate is British and so using the British meaning of this hand gesture. Also if this gesture was meant for her to show the V-sign of the Virgin company or peace, then I think that is even more stupid knowing full well the British meaning of that gesture!:(
Perhaps she may have felt like being naughty. She knew what the sign meant but also knew it was for Virgin. That way she was able to escape being called on it and if so, she could just plea it didn't mean the obscene gesture.
Old 06-25-2006, 02:45 AM
Heir Presumptive

I Dont think she meant anything offenseive (But I Wouldnt do something like that again lol )
Old 06-25-2006, 03:41 AM
Nobility

This lady is becoming overexposed & famous for no apparent reason other than for dating a prince. I would suggest that she goes back to her discreet life and stop attending every celebrity party scene, it makes her look like a fluffy, useless socialite. From the latest news and pictures of her looking drunk and flipping the papparazzi, it seems to be someone in desperate need for a serious media training, if not basic etique.
Old 06-25-2006, 03:56 AM
Heir Presumptive

The photo with Kate and the infamous V sign appears to be photoshopped. Look at her hand closely and the fingers making the V is not properly aligned with the rest of her hand. Is it perhaps another Sun-made story?
Old 06-25-2006, 04:07 AM
Serene Highness

Hmmm I dont, know, but I dont think, that Kate is so stupid! I think, its really photoshopped... the Sun is simply stupid tabloid, which affects people.
Because: Have you seen this pohoto in other serious newspapers or in TV or in photo agencies?
Old 06-25-2006, 04:14 AM
Administrator in Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamyah
This lady is becoming overexposed & famous for no apparent reason other than for dating a prince.
Dating a Prince is generally enough to make one (over-) exposed and famous. Dating the heir to the British throne more so.

We are all doing our bit to reinforce the exposure and fame by reading and commenting about her. It's called public interest, and, as an example, is the reason the Kate Middleton current events thread is now up to Part 9.
Old 06-25-2006, 04:29 AM
Courtier

We shouldnt critize her for the press she gets, any other woman in the world in her case, would have the same or even more press than her. So far she has being able to deal with it nicely.
Old 06-25-2006, 04:37 AM
Serene Highness

Public interest? I don't know, but she is stil human. she had a normal childhood and she never lived in big palace. She had her privacy. Then she fall in love with prince and now, she is throw to tabloids... and they are writing lies. so really thanks for public interest, but it have to have degree. And this is more interest than enough.
Old 06-25-2006, 05:49 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamyah
This lady is becoming overexposed & famous for no apparent reason other than for dating a prince. I would suggest that she goes back to her discreet life and stop attending every celebrity party scene, it makes her look like a fluffy, useless socialite. From the latest news and pictures of her looking drunk and flipping the papparazzi, it seems to be someone in desperate need for a serious media training, if not basic etique.
Basic etiquette! :) It's exactly the thing she is in dire need! As well as everybody else who thinks it is not a big deal. A sophisticated woman shouldn't do such a thing, no matter what the circumstances are. Oh, wait! Did I say sophisticated? Sorry, that's not Kate!

Supposing the sign was meant to stand for Virgin.... if it is so, how can you say she is not courting the press? What is it then?

Ok, she made a mistake. Everybody does time to time...but praising her for it! Oh come on! What would you say if the queen did this when she decided she had enough of the photographers? Ok, Kate is not queen yet...but maybe she'll be one day...(although I don't think she is suitable for the role)

Closed Thread

Tags
kate middleton