The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-22-2006, 04:37 AM
Aristocracy

Kate looks great at the races,very stylish.I have been on holiday and have missed a lot of great photo,s and posts!

Old 03-22-2006, 06:48 AM
Nobility

This week has been the first time I have heard negative comments about Kate, ont he radio and tv. Not sure what if aything the paper's have written.

I never thought she would put her first foot wrong over a fur hat, but that is what everyone seems to be talking about.

I guess in her circle just like the Queen it is fine to wear fur but a majority of the British public are against it.

Remember when Sophie had to apologise for wearing a fox fur hat?

The Queen gets a way with it with not many negative comments but Camilla got quite a few when she wore fur not so long ago.

I am not trying to start a fur debate, just letting you know what is going on in the Uk.

Old 03-22-2006, 07:47 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmieLou
This week has been the first time I have heard negative comments about Kate, ont he radio and tv. Not sure what if aything the paper's have written.

I never thought she would put her first foot wrong over a fur hat, but that is what everyone seems to be talking about.

I guess in her circle just like the Queen it is fine to wear fur but a majority of the British public are against it.

Remember when Sophie had to apologise for wearing a fox fur hat?

The Queen gets a way with it with not many negative comments but Camilla got quite a few when she wore fur not so long ago.

I am not trying to start a fur debate, just letting you know what is going on in the Uk.
Unfortunately I knew that was going to happen to her once I saw the hat. But she wasn't the only one wearing that kind of hat. In the photos one of the girls who is either Camilla's daughter or daughter-in-law was wearing the same kind of hat. As well as a few other girls at the races.
Old 03-22-2006, 08:08 AM
Nobility

Fur is obviously something certain people like to wear, and it is common in Kate's social circle but she should have had the sence not to wear it. She is a pretty girl and could get away with many hat styles, even if the hat she wore had been fake I still think it is an ugly hat.

I suppose as she is not Royal (yet) she can do what she likes, it is just the press will pick her up on it.
Old 03-22-2006, 10:41 AM
Courtier

Fur flies over Royal girlfriends' hat

http://news.scotsman.com/uk.cfm?id=447092006
Old 03-22-2006, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by princesslily
Unfortunately I knew that was going to happen to her once I saw the hat. But she wasn't the only one wearing that kind of hat. In the photos one of the girls who is either Camilla's daughter or daughter-in-law was wearing the same kind of hat. As well as a few other girls at the races.
Camilla has a daughter-in-law? This must be a daughter of Andrew PB and his second wife, though I did not know he had other children besides Tom and Laura. About Kate's hat at Cheltenham, it didn't bother me. I think she was dressed appropriately. Everyone there was dressed in the same style. It's the Cheltenham way, the same every year.
Old 03-22-2006, 10:54 AM
Aristocracy

Camilla's daughter in law is Tom's wife Sara.
Old 03-22-2006, 02:49 PM
Aristocracy

This hat was actually the first thing about Kate I really didn't like. Not only that it is a dead animal, it also IMO somehow stands for looots of money and maybe also a certain position in social life. So it fits more for the queen than for an "avarage" girl... Something more down to earth would have been better.
+ but that is my personal opinion: fur is always worn by people that want to show off. You always see these ugly old woman, ugly because of their plasitc surgeries, that walk around in St Moritz or Monte Carlo (there probably without fur ) and don't know what to do with their life.
hope that's not offensive but people like that simply bore me and they immediately came to my mind when I saw these pictures.
Old 03-22-2006, 03:09 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.Smith
This hat was actually the first thing about Kate I really didn't like. Not only that it is a dead animal, it also IMO somehow stands for looots of money and maybe also a certain position in social life. So it fits more for the queen than for an "avarage" girl... Something more down to earth would have been better.
+ but that is my personal opinion: fur is always worn by people that want to show off. You always see these ugly old woman, ugly because of their plasitc surgeries, that walk around in St Moritz or Monte Carlo (there probably without fur ) and don't know what to do with their life.
hope that's not offensive but people like that simply bore me and they immediately came to my mind when I saw these pictures.
Some people wear fur to keep warm, I do, I wore my fur coat in today because it is an unusually chilly spring. Sorry your statement was ill informed and offensive. I am not an ugly old woman and I do not spend time at St. Moritz not knowing what to do with my life nor have I had plastic surgery nor has anyone I know who wears fur and there are several of us here. Better luck with your next post being inoffensive.
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 03-22-2006, 03:50 PM
Heir Presumptive

it might have been faux fur , you never know. Think it looked a bit like if england was siberia, it is spring now and was nearly spring when she wore it. Up till now I have always liked the way she dresses but do not thing the hat a great succes and her age does have something to do with it, she is too young for it.

Quote:
Old 03-22-2006, 04:16 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
This hat was actually the first thing about Kate I really didn't like. Not only that it is a dead animal, it also IMO somehow stands for lots of money and maybe also a certain position in social life. So it fits more for the queen than for an "avarage" girl... Something more down to earth would have been better.
The only thing it stands for is someone who wants people to think she has enough money to not care what anyone else thinks. It was clearly new, so carries no social kudos anyway. I was surprised as modern women with money, choose not to wear fur. Still we are all allowed one or two mistakes.
I wonder how many dead animals it took, if it is made from dead animals?
Old 03-22-2006, 04:57 PM
Nobility

If a person chooses to wear fur, then fine, but do it with conviction and say you like it, end of story.

Unless you live somewhere like Russia where is it minus 20 then other types of coats and clothes will keep you warm!

Kate make a silly mistake and she should have known better.
Old 03-22-2006, 05:16 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon
The only thing it stands for is someone who wants people to think she has enough money to not care what anyone else thinks. It was clearly new, so carries no social kudos anyway. I was surprised as modern women with money, choose not to wear fur. Still we are all allowed one or two mistakes.
I wonder how many dead animals it took, if it is made from dead animals?
Depending on the fur, it might have taken 3-4 minks or ferrets, or 1 fox. A fur hat is not that pricey. A good wool or down hat in that style by a stylish designer would have cost almost as much. Its not that fashionable to wear fur which is why when people wear it now its more for the warmth vs. cost and bulk ratio.

A female mink pelt can hold more heat per ounce than wool or sheepskin. Only down is lighter but its also bulkier which has to be factored into what is worn under the coat. A lot of layers under a down coat creates the Michelin man effect.

But Kate's hat is a pretty good use of fur. You lose more heat from your head and hands than anywhere else on the body. Yet most people don't want a lot of bulk and weight on their head.
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 03-22-2006, 05:21 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by regardez
They met at St. Andrews. Some people believe that she only attended so that she could go out with him. However, it was annonced that he was going there and/or applying after it was too late for people to apply for that year, so that is basically an unfounded and far-stretched rumor (in my opinion).
You're right, it wasn't confirmed that he was going until after. After at that time, I was in England and it was rumoured that he was going to Saint Andrews before.
Old 03-22-2006, 06:48 PM
Royal Highness

people keep saying that kate made a mistake by wearing a fur hat. it's not a mistake. she wanted to wear a fur hat so she wore a fur hat...no big deal. only the people that are against this type of thing call it a mistake. i don't think it's a mistake. there's nothing wrong with liking fur. and it's hardly a symbol of wealth anymore. it annoys me that people that are against this kind of thing keep speaking for everyone. she looked lovely and was dressed entirely appropriately. no mistakes here.
Old 03-22-2006, 09:15 PM
Courtier

The thing is that Diana would have never been seen in public in this day and age with a dead mink on her head. Although the public won't set out to compare Kate with the late Princess of Wales, it will be these moments when it becomes obvious that she lacks Diana's sensitivity, compassion and instinct about this sort of thing. I'm not saying it's fair to judge Kate about the fur issue and I know she's just trying to go about her everyday life without necessarily thinking about being judged for what she wears but the reason Diana was so beloved is because, despite her flaws, you believed she cared deeply about everyone including animals as she refused to go hunting with the Windsors.
Old 03-22-2006, 09:45 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Well Diana did go stag hunting during the early part of her marriage and killed a stag. She also ate meat and wore real leather.
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 03-22-2006, 09:54 PM
Heir Presumptive

She also wore furs once and while during her royal years.
Old 03-22-2006, 10:31 PM
Courtier

Hopefully Kate will become enlightened on the fur issue (at least) like the late princess.
Old 03-22-2006, 10:32 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princejohnny25
She also wore furs once and while during her royal years.
Diana never wore fur.

Closed Thread

Tags
kate middleton