Kate Middleton Current Events 6: March-April 2006

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you think that we are seeing another Sophie? I think that not only has Charles learned his leason, but the royal family as well. If kate is the one maybe they are giving her alot of time like sophie. It seems that Sophie has had a better time than Diana. Could we be looking at a 5 to 6 year courtship?

I agree with you I think it will be awhile before they get engaged, and I think once they do they will be engaged for a long time (such as Princess Maxima who I think was engaged for a year before she married Prince Willem Alexander)

msleiman said:
Do you think that we are seeing another Sophie? I think that not only has Charles learned his leason, but the royal family as well. If kate is the one maybe they are giving her alot of time like sophie. It seems that Sophie has had a better time than Diana. Could we be looking at a 5 to 6 year courtship?

That is a good point and I think it might be dead on. Didn't Sophie begin dating Edward in 1993? Certainly, it was no later than 1994 when the "courtship" began. When did they become engaged? 1998?
I think, however, that more reasons were behind that than meet the eye. I recall Jonathan Dimbleby suggesting that a reason for the postponement was related to the monarchy's wish not to overshadow Charles and his big year, the big anniversary for the Investiture. After all that was done, I think Edward and Sophie were more free to proceed. This is just a theory, so I'm not saying that a wish to "break Sophie in" so to speak was not a bigger reason. But I have the impression, there were other things involved besides a wish to avoid another Diana debacle.

Of course BRF learned some lessons from the mistakes regarding Diana and Sarah but its a little much to interpret every move they make regarding Kate as not wanting to repeat the same mistakes.

Right now William is charting new ground as a British heir with the type of woman he is dating so its hard to tell what anything means unless we see a ring on her finger.

ysbel said:
Of course BRF learned some lessons from the mistakes regarding Diana and Sarah but its a little much to interpret every move they make regarding Kate as not wanting to repeat the same mistakes.

Right now William is charting new ground as a British heir with the type of woman he is dating so its hard to tell what anything means unless we see a ring on her finger.

I also think that the way Charles is handling the courtship is his experience with finding Camilla years ago who was really the love of heart. So, perhaps the way that he is more accepting of the boys girlfriends and trying not to say "no" is giving the boys the chance to find out on their own who their significant other will be, instead of the crown. But at the same time, the crown must be considered and so there are certain functions that the so-called "commoner" isn't invited to because of protocol behaviors that not everyone is familiar with and thus could setup embarrassing situations.

:)

Just to comment on the possibility being batted around that Kate only went to St. Andrew's to meet William and "planned" to "get" him, for lack of better words.... I seriously doubt any of that is true. I imagine that someone as cautious as William (and we know he is cautious!) would be able to see right through someone who just wants to use him like that. I think I remember William saying just that himself in an interview. "I can spot that pretty quickly in someone," he said (obviously, paraphrasing). Basically, he just meant that he knows right off if someone is sincere or not. So I don't think he would have moved in with Kate, shared two different homes with her during university, let her go on weekend trips to balmoral with him, invited her to other holidays, if he had in any way suspected she was a user.

i think kate looks great! the outfit suits her well and i loved the hat!

Kate Middleton

Poor kATE she cant seem to do anything right. She is just a young girl for heavens sake. Give her time to learn how to do "the right things" according to the media. Remember what Diana went thru? Iam sure William remembers as well. The media tore her apart as far as clothes, the look on her face, how she stood etc etc.If I, for one ,were thrown into that part of being a princes girlfriend and everywhere I looked there were the cameras just dying to see if I was going to goof up Iam sure I would goof up many times. Her sense of style is her own. I for one would love to know where she got her brown purse with the buckles on.

I think the British are doing very well when it comes to modernizing. I think they should take a que from the Danish monarchy and focus more on preparing their princesses, but they already knew that, ie the Countess of Wessex. Camilla has probably had the most training out of all of the princesses. She's been observing royal protocol and talking personally to PoW for years, she probably doesn't need all that much guidance and adjusted very well to the life. Kate seems to be doing very well as well. It's amazing what support can do.

I Think Kate will go very (And I Also belive) she posses the stuff to stay humble I Just love watching these two !!! :)

Kate looks great at the races,very stylish.I have been on holiday and have missed a lot of great photo,s and posts!

This week has been the first time I have heard negative comments about Kate, ont he radio and tv. Not sure what if aything the paper's have written.

I never thought she would put her first foot wrong over a fur hat, but that is what everyone seems to be talking about.

I guess in her circle just like the Queen it is fine to wear fur but a majority of the British public are against it.

Remember when Sophie had to apologise for wearing a fox fur hat?

The Queen gets a way with it with not many negative comments but Camilla got quite a few when she wore fur not so long ago.

I am not trying to start a fur debate, just letting you know what is going on in the Uk.

EmmieLou said:
This week has been the first time I have heard negative comments about Kate, ont he radio and tv. Not sure what if aything the paper's have written.

I never thought she would put her first foot wrong over a fur hat, but that is what everyone seems to be talking about.

I guess in her circle just like the Queen it is fine to wear fur but a majority of the British public are against it.

Remember when Sophie had to apologise for wearing a fox fur hat?

The Queen gets a way with it with not many negative comments but Camilla got quite a few when she wore fur not so long ago.

I am not trying to start a fur debate, just letting you know what is going on in the Uk.

Unfortunately I knew that was going to happen to her once I saw the hat. But she wasn't the only one wearing that kind of hat. In the photos one of the girls who is either Camilla's daughter or daughter-in-law was wearing the same kind of hat. As well as a few other girls at the races.

Fur is obviously something certain people like to wear, and it is common in Kate's social circle but she should have had the sence not to wear it. She is a pretty girl and could get away with many hat styles, even if the hat she wore had been fake I still think it is an ugly hat.

I suppose as she is not Royal (yet) she can do what she likes, it is just the press will pick her up on it.

princesslily said:
Unfortunately I knew that was going to happen to her once I saw the hat. But she wasn't the only one wearing that kind of hat. In the photos one of the girls who is either Camilla's daughter or daughter-in-law was wearing the same kind of hat. As well as a few other girls at the races.

Camilla has a daughter-in-law? This must be a daughter of Andrew PB and his second wife, though I did not know he had other children besides Tom and Laura. About Kate's hat at Cheltenham, it didn't bother me. I think she was dressed appropriately. Everyone there was dressed in the same style. It's the Cheltenham way, the same every year.

Camilla's daughter in law is Tom's wife Sara.

This hat was actually the first thing about Kate I really didn't like. Not only that it is a dead animal, it also IMO somehow stands for looots of money and maybe also a certain position in social life. So it fits more for the queen than for an "avarage" girl... Something more down to earth would have been better.
+ but that is my personal opinion: fur is always worn by people that want to show off. You always see these ugly old woman, ugly because of their plasitc surgeries, that walk around in St Moritz or Monte Carlo (there probably without fur;) ) and don't know what to do with their life.
hope that's not offensive but people like that simply bore me and they immediately came to my mind when I saw these pictures.

Mrs.Smith said:
This hat was actually the first thing about Kate I really didn't like. Not only that it is a dead animal, it also IMO somehow stands for looots of money and maybe also a certain position in social life. So it fits more for the queen than for an "avarage" girl... Something more down to earth would have been better.
+ but that is my personal opinion: fur is always worn by people that want to show off. You always see these ugly old woman, ugly because of their plasitc surgeries, that walk around in St Moritz or Monte Carlo (there probably without fur;) ) and don't know what to do with their life.
hope that's not offensive but people like that simply bore me and they immediately came to my mind when I saw these pictures.

Some people wear fur to keep warm, I do, I wore my fur coat in today because it is an unusually chilly spring. Sorry your statement was ill informed and offensive. I am not an ugly old woman and I do not spend time at St. Moritz not knowing what to do with my life nor have I had plastic surgery nor has anyone I know who wears fur and there are several of us here. Better luck with your next post being inoffensive.

it might have been faux fur ;) , you never know. Think it looked a bit like if england was siberia, it is spring now and was nearly spring when she wore it. Up till now I have always liked the way she dresses but do not thing the hat a great succes and her age does have something to do with it, she is too young for it.

Mrs.Smith said:

Mrs.Smith said:
This hat was actually the first thing about Kate I really didn't like. Not only that it is a dead animal, it also IMO somehow stands for lots of money and maybe also a certain position in social life. So it fits more for the queen than for an "avarage" girl... Something more down to earth would have been better.
The only thing it stands for is someone who wants people to think she has enough money to not care what anyone else thinks. It was clearly new, so carries no social kudos anyway. I was surprised as modern women with money, choose not to wear fur. Still we are all allowed one or two mistakes.
I wonder how many dead animals it took, if it is made from dead animals? :eek:

If a person chooses to wear fur, then fine, but do it with conviction and say you like it, end of story.

Unless you live somewhere like Russia where is it minus 20 then other types of coats and clothes will keep you warm!

Kate make a silly mistake and she should have known better.

Skydragon said:
The only thing it stands for is someone who wants people to think she has enough money to not care what anyone else thinks. It was clearly new, so carries no social kudos anyway. I was surprised as modern women with money, choose not to wear fur. Still we are all allowed one or two mistakes.
I wonder how many dead animals it took, if it is made from dead animals? :eek:

Depending on the fur, it might have taken 3-4 minks or ferrets, or 1 fox. A fur hat is not that pricey. A good wool or down hat in that style by a stylish designer would have cost almost as much. Its not that fashionable to wear fur which is why when people wear it now its more for the warmth vs. cost and bulk ratio.

A female mink pelt can hold more heat per ounce than wool or sheepskin. Only down is lighter but its also bulkier which has to be factored into what is worn under the coat. A lot of layers under a down coat creates the Michelin man effect.

But Kate's hat is a pretty good use of fur. You lose more heat from your head and hands than anywhere else on the body. Yet most people don't want a lot of bulk and weight on their head.

regardez said:
They met at St. Andrews. Some people believe that she only attended so that she could go out with him. However, it was annonced that he was going there and/or applying after it was too late for people to apply for that year, so that is basically an unfounded and far-stretched rumor (in my opinion).

You're right, it wasn't confirmed that he was going until after. After at that time, I was in England and it was rumoured that he was going to Saint Andrews before.

people keep saying that kate made a mistake by wearing a fur hat. it's not a mistake. she wanted to wear a fur hat so she wore a fur hat...no big deal. only the people that are against this type of thing call it a mistake. i don't think it's a mistake. there's nothing wrong with liking fur. and it's hardly a symbol of wealth anymore. it annoys me that people that are against this kind of thing keep speaking for everyone. she looked lovely and was dressed entirely appropriately. no mistakes here.

The thing is that Diana would have never been seen in public in this day and age with a dead mink on her head. Although the public won't set out to compare Kate with the late Princess of Wales, it will be these moments when it becomes obvious that she lacks Diana's sensitivity, compassion and instinct about this sort of thing. I'm not saying it's fair to judge Kate about the fur issue and I know she's just trying to go about her everyday life without necessarily thinking about being judged for what she wears but the reason Diana was so beloved is because, despite her flaws, you believed she cared deeply about everyone including animals as she refused to go hunting with the Windsors.

Well Diana did go stag hunting during the early part of her marriage and killed a stag. She also ate meat and wore real leather.

She also wore furs once and while during her royal years.

Hopefully Kate will become enlightened on the fur issue (at least) like the late princess.

Princejohnny25 said:
She also wore furs once and while during her royal years.
Diana never wore fur.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom