The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-14-2005, 03:03 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by polop
Ms. Middleton can go to office ABCDEFGH... but Ms.Middleton is just not "that girl who is dating that boy" she is Ms.Middleton who is dating the future King of England, and if she doesn't like the pressure or is "loosing her privacy" than honey, better step down-before it's too late. I think if the rest of the worlds celebrity can live without being killed by "terrorists" than our Kate, can survive.Iam sorry if you thought that I wasn't being fair, that truly wasn't my intention.:)
From the photos it doesn't seem like she is running away so I'd say she's ok with the pressure for the most part. And your right she is not some girl dating some boy & that is exactly why the press needs to think before they print where she works or where her doctor's office is. Taking some pictures is ok but there has to be a line that they can't cross!

The press tries to get away with everything & I'm sure if the laws were such that they could follow her anywhere they'd probably be walking into her gynocological examinations!

"Many of us experience daily life becoming ever more hectic. This may be a good reason to stop a bit - and think about if what one spends time on is in fact how one really wants to spend it," Crown Prince Haakon of Norway
Old 12-14-2005, 03:36 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

I don't think Kate is a target for terrorists but she can get hurt by hyperactive papparazzi just the same.

Old 12-14-2005, 04:07 PM
Courtier

If Kate feels so inclined to take a stand with the paparazzi then she should take legal action against them, but it probably wont help because paparazzi make so much money they can keep you in the courts for years and years and years while kate doesn't have that much money or time. Look at how many celeberties sued over pictures that were printed and what did they get? a retraction or a sum of money? If kate wants to take them down, then more power to her but I seriouldy don't think it would even make a dent in them.

And just curious I have never seen the press print her doctor's office name, her address etc. do you have proof of this?
Old 12-14-2005, 04:25 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel S.
I am being realistic and I've spoken to a family member (who was in law enforcement dealing with stalkers & terrorists) about this exact situation. I"ll give you the reason....She is a target simply becasuse she is dating the future King of England. Now you may think she's insignificant but if something were to happen to her William would be devistated (it would cause disruption) and it would be heard all over the news. It would be seen as if the terrorists were sending a message like..."Look not even the furure bride of the Prince is safe. Tremble with fear England." This *IS* how these people think.
Hyperactive imagination.

Old 12-14-2005, 04:31 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHAmy
If Kate feels so inclined to take a stand with the paparazzi then she should take legal action against them, but it probably wont help because paparazzi make so much money they can keep you in the courts for years and years and years while kate doesn't have that much money or time. Look at how many celeberties sued over pictures that were printed and what did they get? a retraction or a sum of money? If kate wants to take them down, then more power to her but I seriouldy don't think it would even make a dent in them.

And just curious I have never seen the press print her doctor's office name, her address etc. do you have proof of this?
well photos of her home have been published. so i think if you did some research you could probably find out her address though i havent heard of the actual adress being published prominently anywhere.
Old 12-14-2005, 04:39 PM
Imperial Majesty

Idriel, is that a general statement or are you talking about Angel?
Old 12-14-2005, 04:50 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth
Idriel, is that a general statement or are you talking about Angel?
I was directly referring to the statement I quoted, Angel's statement.
She was arguing that Kate was a serious terrorist target and giving fantasist reasons to support her claim. My answer to that: hyperactive imagination.

Old 12-14-2005, 04:55 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idriel
I was directly referring to the statement I quoted, Angel's statement.
She was arguing that Kate was a serious terrorist target and giving fantasist reasons to support her claim. My answer to that: hyperactive imagination.
Why is that such a fantasist scenario? If I were a terrorist I'd try to select a target that is well-known enough to shock the public but relatively accessible. Stranger things have happened. (Mind you, I am NOT a terrorist and do not support any of the things they do.)
Old 12-14-2005, 05:02 PM
Imperial Majesty

Well, I could see "hyperactive imagination" and "fantasist" being used to refer to a scenario about alien abduction or something, but given that the British royal family - and not just the close family either if Lord Mountbatten's death is any guide - is a known terrorist target, I don't think that the idea of killing William and/or his steady girlfriend (and Kate would certainly be an easier target than the senior royals) is all that far-fetched, to be honest. I mean, I think it's a highly unlikely scenario, but not one to be dismissed out of hand.
Old 12-14-2005, 06:40 PM
Courtier

I agree Idriel, but I just don't see kate getting kidnapped by a terrorist, William could break up with her tomorrow and then what will happen? She doesn't seem like a very significant target to me. Not to sound mean or sadistic or anything but what about Zara or her brother? I would assume since they have no royal titles and live a somewhat nornaml life that they wouldn't have security either? Why not target them they are a direct link the the Queen and King. Once again I would never want anyone to be kidnapped but I am just trying to make a point of Kate being somewhat insignificant to the Royal Family in my opinion.
Old 12-14-2005, 07:24 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHAmy
I am just trying to make a point of Kate being somewhat insignificant to the Royal Family in my opinion.
It depends on what part of the Royal Family you're referring to. I doubt if she's insignificant to Wills but she wouldn't be the first on the list to be targeted by terrorists.
Old 12-14-2005, 07:37 PM
Heir Presumptive

Keep in mind we don't know if Kate will receive private protection, paid for by Prince William, as their relationship deepens. There are plenty of former Royal Protection Officers who can be hired to do the job if necessary.
Old 12-14-2005, 08:25 PM
Nobility

You can't have it all, and have it all be perfect.
Iam sorry and I know that this is an old topic, but what Kate will inherit to an exchange of some lousy photos is not a very bad deal.To compare her to Princess Diana is like to compare a mountain top to a leaf. She probably is just another passing fad. If she doesn't want people all up in her buisness, then she should realize the consequences NOW. Think about it, if it's really soooo bad now, what will happen once she becomes William's wife?? I find it ridicolous (not sure about the spelling:o ) how she want's to or supposedly "should" file legals charges against the Paparazzi. This is another thing that annoys the hell out of me. Do these people really have THAT much time?? Iam sorry, but there are soooo many ways that they can use their fame to benefit the poor, neglected, etc. Have they seriously ever thought about what they are compalining about? Having sooo much money that you don't know what to do with, going clubbing, and OMG! there are 5 people taking pictures of me?? Geez, I really was starting to like Kate, but her "Diva" behavior makes think otherwise.:) :) :)
Old 12-14-2005, 11:08 PM
Heir Presumptive

There is no evidence Kate Middleton will become William's wife. He said she is his steady girlfriend, but has no plans to get married soon.
Old 12-14-2005, 11:24 PM
Royal Highness

I understand your point Polop. But Kate is William's girlfriend, not wife. She technically has no "official" connections with the Royal Family. She should realize that being the future King's girlfriend, there will be pictures and speculation. She should, however, be allowed a decent amount of privacy. When Kate and William are together, well then, the two will have to toughen up since he is there. However, many of these photos are of Kate and her friends/family. Kate taking action right now may seem like she's being whiny, but taking action right now could prevent a lot of bad things from happening. At least it seems Kate doesn't gloat in the attention, IMO, that would be worse.
Old 12-14-2005, 11:36 PM
Nobility

Well ever since they mentioned the Human Rights Court there haven't been new pictures or news about her, so perhaps the threats are working with the press.

There is a certain level of publicity and intrest that is expected in the relationship. I think Kate is doing a good job of dealing with that (like being photographed at the Christmas Fair, while going shopping with her Mom, etc) but she is still a private citizen and does deserve the privacy that goes along with that. (When she is riding on the bus, going to job interviews). Right now I know it's not very evasive but I think it's the principle of it.

It doesn't come across as whiny to me, but I tend to like all the girlfriends. I'm sure they have people advising them
Old 12-14-2005, 11:48 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by polop
You can't have it all, and have it all be perfect.
I rather agree. Furthermore, she doesn't have to pound pavement to find a job since her parents have largely taken care of it. She's isn't smothered by the press, and the paparazzi keep a reasonably respectful distance. She hasn't had to pay for college, nor does she honestly have to do much of anything with herself. She had better realize that she better not expect it to be a cakewalk and that she can waltz into royal life and just enjoy the perks. William's mother thought the same thing and paid for it dearly. If she becomes Princess of Wales she will be subjected to grueling scrutiny and constant analyzing. She won't be able to just turn it off and on at whim.

In defense of the paparazzi, (flame me later) they do have a living to make. They are people too, however often they are demonized. By dating a major public figure, she could at the least be a little gracious. It would do her a major favor in the long run. Diana was gracious despite her private feelings and that helped her immensely. By threatening the press she's antagonizing a group of people who largely shape the public's perception of people and therefore the opinion of the general public. She could end up being demonized and deemed unacceptable to the public. She has little enough burdens and threatening the livlihood of the press is not something she should be doing. She's turning it into a bigger deal than it is.

I find her increasing (seemingly) arrogance extremely off putting. She should realize that William might drop her and what then? She always seems depressed or forlorn, as if being the girlfriend of the Prince of Wales is torture or that she's carrying the weight of the world.
Quote:
Keep in mind we don't know if Kate will receive private protection, paid for by Prince William, as their relationship deepens.
If she gets protection than it better not be paid by the taxpayer. As it is the royals are branded leeches if they spend too much time (in the eyes of the press) taking vacations. If she can't hack it, then she should either be dumped or she should gently break up with William. She's not marrying some businessman, she's marrying a future head of state. Someone who is going to go on grueling trips overseas and in Britain itself, and she's going to have to go with him.
Old 12-14-2005, 11:57 PM
Royal Highness

Paparazzi do have a living to make and they are people. But I don't understand how people can purposely derail people off the road and stick cameras into people's homes in order to get a photo. It's a bit extreme for me. I know it doesn't really pertain to Kate, but the idea of paparazzi in general. Now they seemed to have been dubbed the "stalkarazzi." The press has kept a decent distance from Kate, and they have published mostly positive things about her. This may be Kate's defense mechanism, burn others before they burn her.
Old 12-15-2005, 12:50 AM
Royal Highness

If we haven't seen Kate (feel free to insert any celebrity of the moment) in the press for awhile, you see the posts asking for news and new pictures of her. In the Prince Harry's thread, pages of posts were devoted to whether he should have joined a group for lotto tickets. People got bored. In that sense, we all have contributed to the rise of "stalkarazzi". I am not saying anyone is condoning the tactics by these extremists, but they have been using public interest as justification for the intrusions.
Old 12-15-2005, 01:35 AM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

The Human Rights Court is getting stricter with press interference with celebrities' private lives and has ruled on cases involving royalty before.

Princess Caroline and Ernst-August won a Human Rights Court judgment against the German tabloids for printing these types of pictures of them. It was a landmark ruling and several royal houses starting taking a tougher stance against the paparazzi because of it.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/3838945.stm

Quote:
"The court considered that the general public did not have a legitimate interest in knowing Caroline von Hannover's whereabouts or how she behaved generally in her private life."
So it seems Kate made a smart move.

If the judgment was true for Caroline, a professional public figure who does represent Monaco in an official capacity, it must be even more true for Kate who is right now just a private citizen.

Actually Kate's stance on this improves my opinion of her. It shows she knows to look out for herself and if she's going to be in the public eye, she's going to need to set some boundaries with them early on.

Closed Thread

Tags
kate middleton