The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-04-2007, 04:17 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sullivan
Hello all. I've stumbled onto this forum and, honestly, am not all that interested in royalty, but think what is going on with this young woman is a fascinating example of what's going on worldwide in terms of celebrity, media and privacy.....
....... To me, saying that someone has no right to privacy because, essentially, the media has decided that they don't is a very dangerous and unsettling thing.
Hi Sullivan, welcome to the forums. I often wonder how many of the people on here would react to all the intrusions. I would probably be in prison, because I would not put up with having a camera pushed in my face everytime I left my house!

Old 04-04-2007, 05:50 PM
Commoner

ha..."who flew by private jet to Dublin ".. they really should stop selling this girl as being the people's new princess because she's a commoner and so much like us... really.. it's stupid.

not that i have anything against Kate herself, just the stupid way she's portrayed.

Old 04-04-2007, 10:55 PM
Nobility

I agree Skydragon.

I don't see how Kate is portrayed as anything other than someone who is seriously dating Prince William. The rest is conjecture. The girl hasn't said or done anything out of line, except get the press off of her back. Yet she is despised as if she called somebody's baby ugly or something.
Old 04-05-2007, 07:50 AM
Nobility

I understand Kate's need for privacy but when she attends events like the one in Ireland, myself and others have a right to question her privacy rules.

Kate did not need to attend the opening, if it was a sister or something then yes but surely a good luck card and flowers would have done the trick.

We keep hearing she is a 'normal' girl, well normal girls do not make front page for turning up at an event like that!

I do not care when or where she is pictured but it just seems that she will exept being pictured on her terms, and that is NOT how the press works.
Old 04-05-2007, 08:32 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmieLou
Kate did not need to attend the opening, if it was a sister or something then yes but surely a good luck card and flowers would have done the trick..
Oh dear, the poor girl is no longer allowed to have normal friends (Headline: Catherine ditches her old pals) and support them as any one of us would try to do. I must remember that when I want to support a friend, I must only send a card instead of making the effort to go in person!
Old 04-05-2007, 09:23 AM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
I understand Kate's need for privacy but when she attends events like the one in Ireland, myself and others have a right to question her privacy rules.

Kate did not need to attend the opening, if it was a sister or something then yes but surely a good luck card and flowers would have done the trick.

We keep hearing she is a 'normal' girl, well normal girls do not make front page for turning up at an event like that!

I do not care when or where she is pictured but it just seems that she will exept being pictured on her terms, and that is NOT how the press works.
Well Kate's privacy 'rules' so far are pretty simple and pretty common sense. So far she has been perfectly fine with being photographed at a public event when the photogs are at a safe distance; she's not fine with being photographed with a camera in her face when she's stepping out her house. The difference between the two is perfectly clear to me so I don't think that Kate is giving the press mixed signals.

It is the physical intrusion that she minds. I don't blame her and I can't understand why people can't see the difference between a photographer taking a photo from about 20 feet and a photographer shoving a camera up your nose.

She should be able to handle the former with poise and grace, the latter, I don't think anyone should have to put up with.

I think you should forget about how the press describes her. She may or may not be a 'normal' girl and for William's sake it doesn't really matter but the press is going to slot her into a stereotype that's guaranteed to sell papers regardless of whether she is a normal girl or not.
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 04-05-2007, 11:35 AM
Imperial Majesty

Kate 'settles' harassment complaint

Prince William's girlfriend Kate Middleton has "settled" her complaint against the Daily Mirror over press harassment.

http://www.peterboroughnow.co.uk/vie...sectionid=4068
Old 04-05-2007, 11:44 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysbel
It is the physical intrusion that she minds. I don't blame her and I can't understand why people can't see the difference between a photographer taking a photo from about 20 feet and a photographer shoving a camera up your nose.

She should be able to handle the former with poise and grace, the latter, I don't think anyone should have to put up with.
I agree. Cameras snapping 20 foot away across a foyer or street is very different from paps running backwards in front of you and shoving lenses or microphones into your face as you walk down the footpath or into a theatre, impeding your progress and putting you at risk of tripping and falling. No-one should be expected to put up with that.
Old 04-05-2007, 03:14 PM
Heir Apparent

Wenn Photo Gallery has new pictures of Kate.

I fail to see why a girl, buying a postcard is of interest for Media and I fail to see why Kate should put up with it.
Personally I wouldn't blame her if she complained about those pictures as well - must be nice to remember the days when she could go out and buy a postcard, without about a dozen of photographers following.
Queen Elizabeth: "I cannot lead you into battle, I do not give you laws or administer justice but I can do something else, I can give you my heart and my devotion to these old islands and to all the peoples of our brotherhood of nations." God, Save The Queen!
Old 04-05-2007, 04:47 PM
Royal Highness
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Avalon, it's very similar to the times when the press used to chase Lady Diana down the road when she was trying to buy milk. (Of course, this was prior to her engagement.)
Old 04-05-2007, 10:00 PM
Commoner

she doesn't look very happy, does she?? luckily the press ahven't bothered to read too much into that or we'd get another stupid story about her not grinning from ear to ear meaning that there's trouble in paradise
Old 04-06-2007, 02:21 AM
Aristocracy

I like her hairstyle.
Old 04-06-2007, 07:21 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon
Oh dear, the poor girl is no longer allowed to have normal friends (Headline: Catherine ditches her old pals) and support them as any one of us would try to do. I must remember that when I want to support a friend, I must only send a card instead of making the effort to go in person!

But you are not dating a Prince and complaining about Media intrusion.

Do you really think the media would have cared about this opening...would it have even made the papers without Kate being there??? I very much doubt it.

Kate is not normal so no point in pretending that she is, the media is interested in her, pictures of her putting rubbish out made the papers!

I understand she is in a no win situation but I find it fraustrating not to mention boring that one minute she is complaining because her picture was taken on a street but then shows up at numerous public events that she did not REALLY have to attend like this show, the races etc
Old 04-06-2007, 07:51 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
I understand she is in a no win situation but I find it fraustrating not to mention boring that one minute she is complaining because her picture was taken on a street but then shows up at numerous public events that she did not REALLY have to attend like this show, the races etc
We all need to realise the difference between a private act, like walking to work, getting a cup of coffee in Starbucks, putting the rubbish out and attending the races, going to gallery openings, etc. Catherine has only complained about being followed to work and photographed going about her normal business, not the events where one would expect photographers to be. Just because she is dating a 'royal' does not mean she forfeits all the rights the rest of us take for granted!

The very fact that the paper concerned apologised so quickly, admitting they had been wrong to use the photo's proves, IMO, that she was justified in her complaint.
Old 04-06-2007, 10:51 AM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
I think a lot of people see Kate going to her friend's opening as just having fun and if that's all it is, some of your criticism would be justified. However it appears that Kate is showing support for her friend who is an opening artist and its quite normal for artists, etc. to ask all their friends to come down and support them and its quite normal for the friends to accept. Its what friends do when another friend is starting a new business or opening up a new show. Having your own opening is a pretty nerve wracking experience.

You're right, Kate, didn't absolutely have to go to this event but if she declines these types of events a lot to avoid the papparazzi, she will kill her social friendship network. I've gone to a lot of friends' openings just to keep the friendship up even though I knew I'd be bored silly.

I wouldn't advise Kate to start turning down friends' invitations in droves just to avoid the paps mainly because she doesn't have a ring on her finger yet and its not smart to her social network when her relationship to William could still break off.

I also wouldn't advise Kate to let the papparazzi get in her nose because in those situations, people have gotten hurt.

She needs to protect her physical safety and her relationships with the people close to her. I think you're right that she is in a no-win situation but I'm glad that she seems to make decisions based on common sense: her physical safety and the relationships of her friends closest to her rather than falling prey to the false reality of letting the papparazzi determine the terms on what she will live.
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 04-06-2007, 11:29 AM

Quote:
In addition to what's been said above, I think it is likely that there is a feeling among her advisors and Prince William's that she needs to obtain some experience of public life, prior to her engagement, so she's not completely at sea when the time comes. Never mind a need to prove to certain people whose opinion actually matters (i.e. not us and not the media!) that she will, in fact, be able to handle herself in the spotlight. And she and they think she has the right to gain that experience will still maintaining a semblance of a private life. Not an unreasonable position, IMO.

People with a bent to be critical will always find something to criticize. If Kate did what is being suggest above and avoided the media entirely, how quickly would she be labeled "shy, reclusive, unsociable, and unsuited to public life"?
Old 04-06-2007, 11:57 PM
Heir Presumptive

Are we really at that stage now, when Catherine is getting jumped on for going to a friend's gallery opening? I'm sorry, but if something big like that was happening to me, and one of my close friends whom I invited didn't attend....I'd be hurt. Why shouldn't she have gone? It's her friend! You do that for your friends! Is she to be a shut-in now with no social life? Good grief. It's times like this when I feel for that poor girl. And yes I'm aware she's not "poor" and dating the future King hardly makes you an object of pity, but some of this is crossing the line and I'm saddened that more people can't or won't see that. She is not HRH Princess/Duchess of Anything yet, so she's not supposed to forfeit her rights to some semblance of privacy.
"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 04-07-2007, 11:23 AM
Nobility

Sister Morphine, yeah. There are people out there who condemn Kate for the sun rising and setting each day. There is a race to the bottom and the bottom is winning.

Kate I because of the closeness to her family, will see this through. She's got alot going for her, and I hope the very best for her. She is holding up very well, IMHO.
Old 04-07-2007, 11:48 AM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2Cruise
Sister Morphine, yeah. There are people out there who condemn Kate for the sun rising and setting each day.
Don't you think you're exaggerating just a little?
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 04-07-2007, 01:35 PM
Nobility

Unforunately, no, and that's all I can say. What is sad is that because some in the press are lazy, they will take what is said on the internet to be somehow indicative of how the general public feels about Kate, hence the creeping into stories about her being "lazy" for not working, which thankfully it appears Kate has ignored. But when they tried to print lies casting doubts on her relationship with William after a few overblown snaps of him in a nightclub posing with a couple of strays, her lawyers went after the press. And rightfully so.

Closed Thread

Tags
kate middleton