The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 07:44 AM
Administrator in Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by biboquinhas
Poor girl!That is the price for beeing Royal and famous!
She may or may not be be "famous", but she's certainly not Royal.

Old 04-03-2007, 10:35 PM
Nobility

Not yet anway.

Old 04-04-2007, 02:32 AM
Courtier

Perhaps she may not make it to being royal. Their relationship may get dull after so many years 'just dating' and not being able to share in any new things that live-in couples or married couples tend to find. In addition, I wonder what new and exciting experiences are they experiencing now. To me it sounds like the 'same ole, same ole'. I could be wrong because I don't know what they are both doing in their lives and with each other, such as new friends (army buddies). etc. It just seems to me that they don't seem so exciting to me anymore. Anyone else feel the same way or have any other thoughts about the matter?
Old 04-04-2007, 03:36 AM
Courtier

I think if those two are smart, they will wait until they are comfortable with themselves, their coupleness, and their roles before marrying. At which point the media will have gotten bored and maybe give them enough peace to do so?!

Some people know right away, others take time. Even if they're "feeling it" now, William and Kate seem to be taking their time deliberately. Should they marry, they will have many many decades together and William definitely wants to get it right on the first/only go!
Old 04-04-2007, 06:06 AM
Nobility

I believe they are at that point already, which is why they seem to be a "boring" couple. Hopefully all of the stories written about how they were fast friends first -- the bedrock of a good relationship, imo -- are true.

There is an impression of a maturity beyond their years, and I am sure that William is heeding the advice of caution. I've also read Kate is in no hurry to become pregnant in the next several years, and as soon as they marry the wild speculation about that will make the engagement hype seem so quaint. However I believe it is selfish and a bit self-indulgent to expect Kate to wait around forever and suffer unfair attacks on her character, which is why I think the fix is in and these two already have a secret timetable (the year, no specific date) as to when they will announce their engagement. The next two years or (the end of William's military service) I think will be pivotal.
Old 04-04-2007, 06:32 AM
Heir Apparent

I think they are too young to get married! They should wait more years to get married otherwise IMO they will divorce soon!
Old 04-04-2007, 07:31 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2Cruise
Absolutely agree. If people -- the ones who condem her for taking the photographers to court -- would stop creating the market for the photos, Kate would have not reason to go to court.
I had to question this statement purely because I wonder if there really is a market? Aside from this forum (and others) and Royal fans I sincerely doubt that the average person is interested in Kate. If anything I think the media are trying to create the hype but the public aren't responding.

I know alot of people who have no idea who she is and those who do just don't care what she does. I think when you post in a fourm like this it can sometimes create the image that everybody is interested, however I just don't have that impression myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2Cruise
The law doesn't say anything about if you smile for us one day then frown at us the next you forfeit your right to sue. The law expressly prohibits certain behavior. The press has violated the law, REPEATEDLY. Kate has a right to seek legal remedy and in fact has been nice about it by attempting to work with the publications rather than going to court. For that she deserves a medal if anything.
Which law have they violated? The UK does not have any privacy laws per se. Article 8 of the Human Rights Act allows for the right to privacy but no such prinicple exists within English law.
BBC NEWS | UK | Privacy law remains confused

As for Kate, I find her complaint quite petty. The photos in question were clearly taken from a distance, the photographers were certainly not up close to her. Moreover if she feels so strongly about her "privacy" maybe she should do something to campaign about the excessive amount of CCTV on Britian's streets. They must capture dozens more photos of her than any photographer!

Additionally, she seems to have absolutely no scruples or qualms about the perks or benefits that she she receives as a reuslt of her realtionship. It's about time she grew up and reaslied there's a downside too.
Old 04-04-2007, 07:55 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little_star
Additionally, she seems to have absolutely no scruples or qualms about the perks or benefits that she she receives as a reuslt of her realtionship. It's about time she grew up and reaslied there's a downside too.
And what perks or benefits would they be? People you know may not be interested in her or indeed any of the royals, but many people do seem to be, IMO.
Old 04-04-2007, 08:13 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon
And what perks or benefits would they be? People you know may not be interested in her or indeed any of the royals, but many people do seem to be, IMO.
Well the free holidays, her attendance at events like Cheltenham, the reduced price car, her job etc etc.

Or do people actually believe she would be receivng these gifts if she were not dating William?
Old 04-04-2007, 08:31 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Well the free holidays, her attendance at events like Cheltenham, the reduced price car, her job etc etc.
Or do people actually believe she would be receivng these gifts if she were not dating William?
She would still receive the one 'free' holiday, as the owners of the villa are friends of her parents, we don't know that any other holidays have not been paid for by Catherine, William or both. Anyone can attend the Cheltenham festival, they can even rent a private box. Finding paid employment would have been a lot easier if she hadn't been dating William and I got a discount on my car, with extra 'perks', it's great fun playing one dealer off against the other and that had nothing to do with being Williams girlfriend!
Old 04-04-2007, 08:37 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:

In the past I've always tended to quite like Kate but I have to kind of agree with the above. She seems to enjoy all the nice bits of dating a prince but wants none of the hassle. It's not her fault per se but at the moment she gets a fraction of the hassle proper celebrities get and she may as well get used to it now because if she does marry him it will get a lot worse.
I also agree re the press whipping up interest. The average Brit really still does not know who she is and the only time I see her in mainstream press (ie not Hello magazine and the likes) is when there is a story about complaints re intrusion!
Old 04-04-2007, 08:48 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizy
In the past I've always tended to quite like Kate but I have to kind of agree with the above. She seems to enjoy all the nice bits of dating a prince but wants none of the hassle. It's not her fault per se but at the moment she gets a fraction of the hassle proper celebrities get and she may as well get used to it now because if she does marry him it will get a lot worse.
That's the whole point though, isn't it, she is not and has made no claim to be a celebrity. If she marries William then I would imagine she knows it will come with the territory, until then the media should remember that not everyone wants or feels the 'need' to be seen as a celebrity! We all take holidays, some probably abroad, one might even have a job or a new car, but does that mean these items should be tied in with who you are dating?
Old 04-04-2007, 08:59 AM
Aristocracy

Not at all, Skydragon. I agree with both points of view to a certain extent. My boy friend just got a new car (from the brand apparently favoured by the royals) as he got promoted at work and needs it to carry out his job. It's a perk but he's worked v hard to get it. Unfortunately, the media (not me!) has portrayed Kate as someone who seems to get perks for doing not a lot other that dating Prince William. Again, this is in no way her fault.
Old 04-04-2007, 09:20 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by biboquinhas
I think they are too young to get married! They should wait more years to get married otherwise IMO they will divorce soon!
My father was 21 when he married my mother who was 29. They are now still happily married.

IMO, it doesn't matter what age you marry, whether you're 20 or 40, but both parties have to make it work. You can't just give up if you have a fight. Nobody gets along perfectly.
Old 04-04-2007, 10:12 AM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
I had to question this statement purely because I wonder if there really is a market? Aside from this forum (and others) and Royal fans I sincerely doubt that the average person is interested in Kate. If anything I think the media are trying to create the hype but the public aren't responding.
The papparazzi are for the most part freelancers. They take on a day's assignment as the newssources give them out. So if the newssources and photo agencies find their newspapers with Kate's picture are not making enough money to offset the papparazzi costs; they can stop sending out assignments to photograph Kate. Its not like they have photographers on a yearly fixed salary and they have to keep sending the paps out to justify paying their salary. Paps cost money and the money has to come from somewhere, usually from people who think they can make more money from the pics the paps bring in than they spend in hiring the paps.

In the U.S. Kate has gotten slightly more exposure here in People magazine but otherwise not so much.

Quote:
As for Kate, I find her complaint quite petty. The photos in question were clearly taken from a distance, the photographers were certainly not up close to her.
If these are the photographs she's talking about, then I agree. But there are others from one particular news agency where you can see the camera actually get in Kate's face. If it were anyone other than a photographer, Kate would be excused for thinking she was being mugged.

I think people here are confusing perks with non monetary payment such as a company car.

All our field salespeople get company cars because they drive so much during the day visiting accounts that if we required them to use their own cars, they'd have to replace their cars every year due to wear and tear. Its hardly a perk when the alternative to the perk is paying your own money to replace your car every year or so.

Some people may want to grant a celebrity a perk because it gives them free advertisement. Who here talks about Audi cars except when its about Kate getting a free car? That's wonderfully good advertising for Audi and the cost of a car may be less than an advertisement campaign that would generate similar interest. People give perks to other people who may not have deserved them because it makes business sense to do so, ie., doing so gives them something, in this case free advertising. As I mentioned before, the only unethical part of it is if Kate were a lawmaker or business person who was in a position to influence an important law or major business purchase decision that could benefit the party who gave her the Audi.

But she is the girlfriend of the grandson of a powerless figurehead. Kate herself has no power at all. There is no major decision she can influence one way or another that the Audi dealer can tempt her with a new car.
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 04-04-2007, 10:30 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizy
My boy friend just got a new car (from the brand apparently favoured by the royals) as he got promoted at work and needs it to carry out his job.
Now Lizy, no excuses, he got it because he is dating you didn't he!
Old 04-04-2007, 11:22 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon
Now Lizy, no excuses, he got it because he is dating you didn't he!
Ha ha! Yep, you caught me out. One of the many perks I'm sure he would tell you of dating me!
I am now beginnign to feel sorry for Kate, she can't seem to win either way.
Old 04-04-2007, 11:38 AM

Hello all. I've stumbled onto this forum and, honestly, am not all that interested in royalty, but think what is going on with this young woman is a fascinating example of what's going on worldwide in terms of celebrity, medial and privacy.

One thought on the subject of whether or not Kate is receiving "perks" as a result of her relationship with the prince. Looking at the photographs on this forum, you also see the several young men (Prince William's close friends, presumably?) pictured with him on a regular basis. They attend public events, accompany him on vacation, etc. I would guess that they also benefit in their private lives from their association with him - in terms of increased social status, possible employment opportunities, attention from young women, and all of that. But you don't see anyone saying that THEY have forfeited all their rights to any sort of a private life as a result. How is this different, really, from Kate's situation? Other than the fact that the media (not Kate, not William, not anyone else associated with them personally) have annointed her his future wife? To me, saying that someone has no right to privacy because, essentially, the media has decided that they don't is a very dangerous and unsettling thing.
Old 04-04-2007, 12:03 PM
Courtier

Prince's girl adds glitz to pal's opening in Ireland

ireland.com - The Irish Times - Wed, Apr 04, 2007 - Prince's girl adds glitz to pal's art opening

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v4...ish050407a.jpg
Old 04-04-2007, 03:08 PM
Gentry

Why do I get the feeling that marriage is going to be sooner rather than later? She is in the news a lot lately.

Closed Thread

Tags
kate middleton