The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-31-2007, 11:23 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchess
we also have to remember that reason the paps make so much money for these photos is because the public interest pushes up the price by buying the magazines. i feel sorry for catherine in that she has to put up with this everytime she sets foot outside her door. no matter who you date you shouldn't have to be harassed. she has dealt with all this attention brilliantly and i think diana could've learned a lot from her.
Absolutely agree. If people -- the ones who condem her for taking the photographers to court -- would stop creating the market for the photos, Kate would have not reason to go to court.

Cheltenham races in the royal box and nightclubs are one thing. Stalking this girl at her home, hounding her when she steps foot outside of her front door to take out the trash, blocking her entrance to get into her car, or goes to Starbucks, or to the dry cleaners is another. The law doesn't say anything about if you smile for us one day then frown at us the next you forfeit your right to sue. The law expressly prohibits certain behavior. The press has violated the law, REPEATEDLY. Kate has a right to seek legal remedy and in fact has been nice about it by attempting to work with the publications rather than going to court. For that she deserves a medal if anything.

Everyone has a choice. The teenyboppers, especially the ones who can't stand her, can stop downloading the paparazzi's product and/or buying the tabloids with the pictures, without a market the snappers can stop invading her space, and Kate can call off the dogs. Otherwise, it's see you in court. It's really that simple.

Old 03-31-2007, 11:38 AM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2Cruise
Absolutely agree. If people -- the ones who condem her for taking the photographers to court -- would stop creating the market for the photos, Kate would have not reason to go to court.
Perhaps the people who criticize her for going to court worry that she may be successful in her court fight and then they wouldn't have any pictures of Kate to look at? If they're creating the market, they must want to see the pictures no matter what the cost to Kate or the people around her.

Quote:
The law doesn't say anything about if you smile for us one day then frown at us the next you forfeit your right to sue.
The law doesn't but common sense does. That is the one mistake Diana made. A few weeks before the night she died being chased by the papparazzi, she smiled coyly at some papparazzi and reporters who came upon her vacation with Dodi and hinted that they were going to see something big from her next.

Given the aggressiveness of the papparazzi, that was the most foolish and senseless thing Diana could have done. That statement alone drove up the price of a papparazzi picture of Diana and Dodi to a million dollars and ensured she would be hounded until she showed them the next big thing. No freelance photographer is going to sit back and not go after a picture that will net them a million dollars just because it makes a celebrity uncomfortable.

"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 03-31-2007, 12:26 PM
Nobility

The issue is not about common sense. The issue is whether Kate has cause to bring action in court against paparrazzi who have violated an agreement. She does. She does not forfeit her rights just because she smiled at the cameras. Again that is ridiculous.

If people want to justify condemnation of her by blaming her for exercising her rights or by saying common sense dictates that she knew what to expect before she began to date William, well, no 1L law student would with a straight face attempt either of those flimsy arguments in moot court.

And as for poor Diana, she too was hounded mercilessly by paparrazzi from Day 1. She smiled, she didn't smile, she held her head down, she held it up, it does not matter one IOTA how the victim reacts to the cameras. The cameras will remain until a court's order shuts them down. Period.
Old 03-31-2007, 12:35 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
The issue is not about common sense. The issue is whether Kate has cause to bring action in court against paparrazzi who have violated an agreement. She does. She does not forfeit her rights just because she smiled at the cameras. Again that is ridiculous.

If people want to justify condemnation of her by blaming her for exercising her rights or by saying common sense dictates that she knew what to expect before she began to date William, well, no 1L law student would with a straight face would attempt either of those flimsy arguments in moot court.
You're misquoting what I'm saying. Of course she can sue, but suing is not going to do her any good if her smiling at the cameras encourages the papparazzi to take pictures of her when she walks out the door for work.

A person in the public eye needs to give the press a consistent message and not deviate from it. Kate needs to make it perfectly clear that she will make no effort to give the press a smilling happy Kate pic when she's walking the street minding her own business but she will be glad to give them happy smiling Kate pics to put on the cover of the magazines when she's out at an event with William.

If the papparazzi find it harder to get good pics of Kate when they're invading her space, some are still going to try but some others are not because it won't be worth the effort to stalk her and get a bad pic.
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 03-31-2007, 12:37 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysbel
You're misquoting what I'm saying. Of course she can sue, but suing is not going to do her any good if her smiling at the cameras encourages the papparazzi to take pictures of her when she walks out the door for work.
It will if a judge rules properly and enforces the law. And smiling generally whether facing in the direction of cameras should not be perceived as an implicit invitation to take a photograph.
Old 03-31-2007, 12:40 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:

And as for poor Diana, she too was hounded mercilessly by paparrazzi from Day 1. She smiled, she didn't smile, she held her head down, she held it up, it does not matter one IOTA how the victim reacts to the cameras. The cameras will remain until a court's order shuts them down. Period.
You edited your post after I responded. Richard Kay and other tabloid reporters later admitted that they coached Diana in her press relations in the beginning to make her more attractive to the public and to the Royal Family. He said that Diana was an avid student of his in mastering public perception of her so she would be more accepted by the Royal Family.

You are very right that Diana was a victim of the press but she was a victim of both the press and she was a victim of her habit of playing with press when she wanted attention. If you play with fire (meaning the press), you get badly burned and Diana's death shows that.

So far, Kate hasn't shown that tendency so I think Kate knows how to handle the press. She keeps them at arm's length.
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 03-31-2007, 12:42 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
It will if a judge rules properly.
Papers ignore judge's rulings all the time. Elton John has sued the tabloids several times and always won. They pay up but they still harass him because its more advantageous for them to pay the fine and continue with their libel.

Lawsuits, even successful, are not going to stop them if there's a lot of money to be made.
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 03-31-2007, 12:45 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Luv2Cruise,

You keep editing your posts after I've already responded to them.

Can you stop that so people don't get confused about what I am responding to?

Just make a new post if you want to continue the conversation.
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 03-31-2007, 12:49 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysbel
You edited your post after I responded. Richard Kay and other tabloid reporters later admitted that they coached Diana in her press relations in the beginning to make her more attractive to the public and to the Royal Family. He said that Diana was an avid student of his in mastering public perception of her so she would be more accepted by the Royal Family.

You are very right that Diana was a victim of the press but she was a victim of both the press and she was a victim of her habit of playing with press when she wanted attention. If you play with fire (meaning the press), you get badly burned and Diana's death shows that.

So far, Kate hasn't shown that tendency so I think Kate knows how to handle the press. She keeps them at arm's length.
Your very right Ysbel, Princess Diana played a dangerous game and her death was a result of that. But it seems like Kate is going down a different path, her own path.
Old 03-31-2007, 12:54 PM
Nobility

Sorry I am a bit of a stickler about my writing. Occupational hazard.

As for Diana and Kate, I can't speak to either of their motivations as far as the press is concerned. Nor as I see it do their strategies for dealing with an intrusive press matter in court. What matters is if some law or some agreement has been violated. If ruled there have been violations, as there have repeatedly, then there are remedies. Until the courts really come down hard up to but not overstepping free press protections (if such exist in the UK as in the US), then this harrassment will continue.

The UK, the mother of my country's legal system, is governed by laws, not by common sense or any other law of the jungle.
Old 03-31-2007, 12:57 PM
Nobility

No matter what Diana did or did not do the press would have followed her down that tunnel. She died because of (1) the paparrazzi had no fear of repurcussions from their actions and (2) a drunk driver. To blame Kate for smiling at photographers and to blame Diana for her death because of some rumored cat and mouse game she played is offensive. William smiles at none of them and they pursue him relentlessly. Harry curses them and takes swings at them, same treatment. The smiling at cameras excuse is pretty much a nonstarter.
Old 03-31-2007, 01:09 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

I apologize if the idea is offensive to you; I was basing it on the fact that most of the experts agree that the final papparazzi madness around Diana escalated with Diana's statement to the papparazzi that they were going to be surprised by what she did next. That's what many are saying caused the asking price of a photo of Diana and Dodi to go through the roof and give the papparazzi an incentive to go after her even harder.

Is it the only reason she died? No, she didn't have any security of her own, she and Dodi decided to leave the comfort of the hotel where they were safe and the security that was hired by Dodi was not experienced enough to handle the intense press hounding that last night.

It all played a factor but even then it speaks to the fact when the press goes as mad as it did then, extraordinary security measures need to be taken and not everybody is going to know what to do.

But I believe sirhon is right and Kate seems to be going down a different path.
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 03-31-2007, 01:17 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
No matter what Diana did or did not do the press would have followed her down that tunnel. She died because of (1) the paparrazzi had no fear of repurcussions from their actions and (2) a drunk driver. To blame Kate for smiling at photographers and to blame Diana for her death because of some rumored cat and mouse game she played is offensive. William smiles at none of them and they pursue him relentlessly. Harry curses them and takes swings at them, same treatment. The smiling at cameras excuse is pretty much a nonstarter.
I guess editing posts it IS an occupational hazard. I don't know which version of your post I'm responding to so here goes.

I'm glad you brought up William and Harry. William doesn't get the papparazzi hounding that Kate and Harry do because he doesn't give them something interesting to report. You'll notice there are a lot more pictures of Harry coming out of a club than William.

I think Kate gets it because of William and because people don't know much about her so the photogs are looking for a scoop-a picture or story that shows us a side of Kate we've never seen before but I think if she teased the press she would get it even more than she does now.

I think the papparazzi go after Harry because they can catch him drunk and that's good for a scandalous picture, they may try to provoke him so he takes a swing at them but they are equally guilty for provoking the swing. I don't blame Harry so much for swinging at the photographers if they provoke him, in time the public will see what they provoked and what they didn't. Harry may in the future want to avoid walking on the street if he's drunk.
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 03-31-2007, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk
In regards to the Audi, has it been proven that she got a special discount and if she did so what....my Dad got a Benz discount because his brother in law works for the company. Should he have not taken advantage of that?!
Your dad definitely was justified to take advantage of the discount. Anyone would be. That is a great point. It is common sense but easy to lose sight of.
Everyone takes advantage of discounts and breaks where they are possible. Why shouldn't Kate do it? If I could give you kudos like on myspace, I would, for pointing it out.

Moreover, in further support of this point, Middleton is entitled to have whatever benefits of being a paparazzi target she can have. One such is the "freebie" advantage. Fashion designers and car makers, knowing she is so much photographed, want to use her to display their brands, and she is a fool not to take their freebies and discounts. Anyone else would. I certainly would!
Old 03-31-2007, 01:27 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasiraghiTrio
Your dad definitely was justified to take advantage of the discount. Anyone would be. That is a great point. It is common sense but easy to lose sight of.
Everyone takes advantage of discounts and breaks where they are possible. Why shouldn't Kate do it? If I could give you kudos like on myspace, I would, for pointing it out.

Moreover, in further support of this point, Middleton is entitled to have whatever benefits of being a paparazzi target she can have. One such is the "freebie" advantage. Fashion designers and car makers, knowing she is so much photographed, want to use her to display their brands, and she is a fool not to take their freebies and discounts. Anyone else would. I certainly would!
Of course people take advantage of freebies and special discounts. The only case where its unethical when the receiver is in a position to have influence over something that matters to the giver. For example, I don't think I'd like to see any of the contestants on American Idol give a brand new car to Simon Cowell.
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 03-31-2007, 01:34 PM
Serene Highness

Mirror says sorry to Prince William’s girlfriend for publishing her photo

The Peninsula On-line: Qatar's leading English Daily
Old 03-31-2007, 01:44 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfg02
Mirror says sorry to Prince William’s girlfriend for publishing her photo
You betcha they're sorry. Nothing like a summons or service of process to bring forth the most heartfelt regrets.
Old 03-31-2007, 07:19 PM
Royal Highness

it's a double edged sword with the paps. if you smile then you're encouraging them, if you don't then you're sulky. there has to be a happy medium and i think catherine has done a wonderful job of finding it.

Even public figures that enjoy a good relationship with the media (including the paparazzi) it's inevitable that the "nicey nice" stories will stop for a time and the daggers will come out.
Old 03-31-2007, 11:51 PM
Nobility

Totally agree Duches. Kate is human. She cannot be expected to always smile or always give them the cold shoulder. If she did the latter people would crucify her.
Old 04-03-2007, 07:09 AM
Heir Apparent

Poor girl!That is the price for beeing Royal and famous!

Tags
kate middleton