The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-13-2007, 01:28 PM
Imperial Majesty

The Cheltenham races are always in the middle of March (I have family in that area, and it's a total waste of time to try and get a hotel room within 20 miles of Cheltenham at this time of year). I'm not sure what the weather's doing, but I haven't heard from my cousins about exceptionally cold weather over the last week or two, so I'm guessing it may be warmer.

Old 03-13-2007, 01:42 PM
Courtier

Kate Middleton strikes me as totally Un-Diana-like (at least if I comare her to Diana at her own age). She seems to be much more like Camilla - tough, knows what she wants, does things her own way,...
(Don't get me wrong, I really like her.)
What do you think?

Old 03-13-2007, 01:44 PM
Courtier

New pics of kate and william at cheltenham festival...

http://www.abacausa.com/ximagi/searc...nment_id=36675
Old 03-13-2007, 02:38 PM
Nobility
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smilla
Kate Middleton strikes me as totally Un-Diana-like (at least if I comare her to Diana at her own age). She seems to be much more like Camilla - tough, knows what she wants, does things her own way,...
What do you think?
Absolutely- and she's better educated then her though, so I suppose she has more choices.

"Not everyone who chased the zebra caught it, but he who caught it, chased it" - South African proverb
Old 03-13-2007, 04:37 PM
Imperial Majesty

It has been very warm, there are even children in T-shirts, which for March in the UK is unusual.

Her outfit was lovely and just right for the Cheltenham Festival.
Old 03-13-2007, 06:05 PM
Commoner

Thumbs down

really?? i thought it was another example of the whole 'lamb dressed as mutton' thing. Especially that colour...Not a big fan.
Old 03-13-2007, 06:38 PM
Aristocracy

It was Cheltenham, not Ascot. I don't think glitz is what they're going for.

(And even at Ascot I think lamb dressed as mutton is preferable to the decidedly skanky turn things have taken there too.)
Old 03-13-2007, 06:48 PM
Gentry

I really liked her suit and I thought they looked nice together.
Old 03-13-2007, 07:19 PM
Aristocracy

I'm not so sure on her outfit today at Cheltenham. It just seems a little too 'mature' as in more suitable for an older woman. It's as if she thought "Right, I'm going to Cheltenham today and I have to dress 'country'". I know we have no way of knowing what went through her mind when she picked the outfit, I guess I just don't like it.
Old 03-13-2007, 07:40 PM

But her outfit seems to match the look William is taking though. That jacket and vest number that William has on isn't exactly hip and youthful either! I suppose there must be certain 'ways of dressing' for events such as that. :)
Old 03-13-2007, 10:01 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

I can't believe William went with some color in his jacket - green! He seems so conservative.

As for Kate, I liked her jacket but her skirt flared too much and upset the line. If the skirt had been tailored more, not flaired, I think it would have been a nice ensemble.

Still can't believe Wills' green jacket!
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 03-13-2007, 10:03 PM
Heir Apparent

I don't understand these comparisons of Kate being like Camilla
Old 03-13-2007, 10:05 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smilla
What do you think?
I think you may have a point - Kate has never struck me as an eager to please sort of lass.

I think that tendency is either in your psychological makeup from birth or its not.

This not eager to please tendency of hers can be an advantage when so many different factions are pulling her this way and that. It may help keep her centered and focused on what's really important to her rather than what everyone around her is saying should be important to her.
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 03-13-2007, 10:06 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Royale
I don't understand these comparisons of Kate being like Camilla
Well its impossible to compare two women a generation apart, Madame Royale, but I think what she means is that Kate and Camilla both exude confidence in themselves and their self-esteem doesn't seem dependent on what other people think of them.
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 03-13-2007, 10:24 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Well its impossible to compare two women a generation apart, Madame Royale
Yes. I'm inclined to agree wholeheartedly, ysbel.

Quote:
but I think what she means is that Kate and Camilla both exude confidence in themselves and their self-esteem doesn't seem dependent on what other people think of them
Though Kate and Camilla are but two people in a world of 6 or so billion, where I'm certain a great many people aren't dependant on the the thoughts or expectations of others. I guess that's why I find that statement interesting Though given 'who they are', I can appreciate what you and Smilla are saying.

Thanks for your reply.
Old 03-13-2007, 10:27 PM
Aristocracy

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/liv...cc=picbox&ct=5

In case the story changes later on, they're saying that Kate and William at Cheltenham remind them of Charles and Camilla. Sensibly dressed = middle aged. I guess the papers would prefer the Posh 'n' Becks route.
Old 03-13-2007, 10:36 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Royale
Yes. I'm inclined to agree wholeheartedly, ysbel.

Though Kate and Camilla are but two people in a world of 6 or so billion, where I'm certain a great many people aren't dependant on the the thoughts or expectations of others. I guess that's why I find that statement interesting
Yes I'd agree there are...but I think the surprise for most people is that you don't normally find these self-contained people out in the public eye. If one likes and is comfortable with a great deal of public attention like many of the Hollywood starlets are, then I daresay one can become dependent on that attention to feel good about oneself.

Since the majority of people we see in the public eye are 'paid performers' per se who had to audition for their jobs (whether they be an actress, singer, athlete or politician) I think a lot of people in the public eye do need that acclaim.

So its just unusual when we see someone in the public eye who doesn't seem to need the attention.

That's all.

Her Majesty the Queen does have that presence and self-confidence regardless of the acclaim or lack of it, I daresay because she never had to audition for the role.
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 03-13-2007, 10:47 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Isn't it funny how the papers can take a nice young girl who may be the next Princess of Wales and Queen of England and reduce her down to a fashion statement or lack of a fashion statement and tie her importance to the rise and fall of the fashion industry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiyo
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/liv...cc=picbox&ct=5

In case the story changes later on, they're saying that Kate and William at Cheltenham remind them of Charles and Camilla. Sensibly dressed = middle aged. I guess the papers would prefer the Posh 'n' Becks route.
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 03-13-2007, 10:50 PM
Aristocracy

Personally I do not like this outfit at all. The Daily Mail article is right, both P. William and Kate look much older than they really are. I don’t think Kate’s suit is flattering on her at all, the color is just so dull against her dark hair and skin tone. Also, the long dangle earnings (see picture) she is wearing, which she has wore many times before are really mismatched with her conservative outfit. Such shame, it would have been nice to see her in a spring-like coat similar to the one Zara is wearing.

http://www.supload.us/free/73560986.jpg/view/
Old 03-13-2007, 11:00 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysbel
Her Majesty the Queen does have that presence and self-confidence regardless of the acclaim or lack of it, I daresay because she never had to audition for the role.
Yes, quite so!

God help the British public if that were the case!

Closed Thread

Tags
kate middleton