The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-19-2007, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiren
Just curious, How tall is she? Not as tall as Diana...am I right?

Diana was 5'9 without heels, 6 feet in heels according to Lady Colin Campbell's Diana in Private and Andrew Morton's Diana: Her True Story. Prince William is 6'3, right, maybe 6'4, I don't remember, but say he is 6'4, and consider that Catherine, wearing espidrilles, comes up just above his ears. Without the espidrilles, she might only reach just below his ears. Either way, I'd bet she's at least as tall as Diana, maybe slightly taller.

Old 01-20-2007, 05:49 AM
Commoner

Kate appears to have a lazy eye

Old 01-20-2007, 01:06 PM
Nobility

I see two things wrong with your suggestion

Quote:
Originally Posted by bebajp
He should do the same thing that Prince Felipe of Spain did it, NOBODY knew exactly who he was dating until the RH announced he was engaged (I was very suprised the day I knew he was engaged!!). That's what I call a good strategy. Of course in England it's IMPOSSIBLE for them to get some privacy (look what happened with Diana).

It's just a suggestion...

They tried to keep Diana and Sarah under wraps until the engagements were announced, but Fleet Street doesn't allow that.

Diana and Charles didn't go out the same way that Will and Kate do. Diana was photographed at Balmoral and identified...after that she was hounded.

Sophie and Edward were a much more public couple. People knew they were dating. I think it's a good thing for possible royal brides to really see what life is like behind the gilded cage. They get a glimpse of what they're in for, and can decide if they want to make that step.
Old 01-20-2007, 02:14 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by yvr girl
Diana and Charles didn't go out the same way that Will and Kate do. Diana was photographed at Balmoral and identified...after that she was hounded.
Charles and Diana were regularly seen at polo matches before the engagement was announced. It is accepted that Charles was 'pushed' to get engaged because of the media scrums that were surrounding Diana.
Old 01-21-2007, 07:52 AM
Royal Highness

i think what yvr girl meant was that charles and diana didn't go out "clubbing" like william and catherine do. they attended events that were more to charles liking i think. in all fairness, he was several years older than william is and, it's safe to say, clubbing wasn't his thing!
Old 01-21-2007, 07:58 AM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchess
i think what yvr girl meant was that charles and diana didn't go out "clubbing" like william and catherine do. they attended events that were more to charles liking i think. in all fairness, he was several years older than william is and, it's safe to say, clubbing wasn't his thing!
For purposes of keeping the relationship under wraps though, polo matches have about the same effect as clubbing for blowing a couple's secrecy.

Actually polo matches may be worse if you want to keep a relationship under wraps because they are previously announced so the press knows when and where to show up, and they take place in the middle of the day when the daylight makes it easier to get a candid shot.
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 01-21-2007, 12:22 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

The News Corporation (owner of The Sun, The News of the World, The Times and The Loondon Paper), as well as Hello! have decided not to publish Kate Middleton's paparazzi photos anymore.
Sánchez-Junco (the owner of Hello! and Hola!) told the Spanish paper El Mundo that Hello! is only going to publish photos made by the photo agencies that have signed the Ethic Code of the Press Comission.

A paparazzi shot of Kate Middleton ought to cost 30.000 € !!!
Old 01-21-2007, 12:36 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchess
Was there such a thing as clubbing? For all you youngsters out there, yes there were clubs, but it all seemed so genteel, from what little I remember.
Old 01-21-2007, 01:00 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon
Was there such a thing as clubbing? For all you youngsters out there, yes there were clubs, but it all seemed so genteel, from what little I remember.
Yes there was studio 54 in the US which started the more public "clubbing" trend -then it was known as club-hopping. Correct me if I'm wrong Skydragon but the British were more discreet in their nightlife then the Americans were back in then.
Old 01-21-2007, 01:21 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by hibou
Yes there was studio 54 in the US which started the more public "clubbing" trend -then it was known as club-hopping. Correct me if I'm wrong Skydragon but the British were more discreet in their nightlife then the Americans were back in then.
Compared to the Americans we were so boring. I went out with a group that included an american officer, from a base in Mildenhall. We went to what we thought was a very trendy nightclub in London and you could see, on his ever so polite face, how bored he was. Some clubs would not, even if they dared go to the bar, serve alcohol to women! If they tried that now, the women would probably beat them up!
Old 01-21-2007, 04:35 PM
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger

Im sorry if this was posted before.

Kate is crowned a Prada princess

Robert Booth
Fashionistas hail the high street chic of prince's girlfriend

SHE is still a royal bride-in-waiting but Kate Middleton’s budding sense of style has convinced the arbiters of the fashion world that she is ready to take her place among a new generation of “Prada princesses”. Middleton, whose look has evolved from modern Sloane to high street with accessories, is now being hailed for her ability to combine “simplicity with panache for the royal occasions”. NI_MPU('middle');The endorsement, by Suzy Menkes, the grande dame of fashion, marks a significant stage in the remaking of the 25-year-old daughter of a Berkshire businessman.

full article
Old 01-21-2007, 05:05 PM

Quote:
The Sloaneys in the seventies, including Diana, definitely went "clubbing!" Although, I think that Duchess made a fair point saying that Charles and Diana did not typically do it together. I think Charles would sometimes go to Annabel's or Harry's Bar, but nothing more "wild" than that, or I suppose he might have drinks at the polo club bar. Diana, on the other hand, was rather fond of the nightclub scene in London. I believe she frequented some clubs around London with her flatmates.

Skydragon, I think you are only referring to the upper-class British club-goers. Unfortunately, I would venture to guess that when Americans make generalizations about British club-goers of any generation, the assumptions would be based on the upper-classes, as those the only people attaining any mention in society magazines. Thus, it might be unfair to say that all British club-goers of a certain time period or generation were "discreet" or "sophisticated." However, I wonder if the same generalization could hold true of British working-class club-goers.
Old 01-22-2007, 04:14 AM
Commoner

kate is very lovely young lady
Old 01-22-2007, 07:12 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasiraghiTrio
The Sloaneys in the seventies, including Diana, definitely went "clubbing!"
True, my comment about were there clubs was a joke. The nightclubs that were about, were nothing compared to todays clubs. If a young woman got too tipsy in Annabels, parents or a taxi were called. I think if todays young women walked into a nightclub from the 70's or 80's, they would think they had walked in on afternoon tea.

Hibou said the British were more discreet in their nightlife then the Americans were back then. From my minor forays into one or two clubs recently and from the reports in the news, there is no comparison. They did seem to be more genteel and I am not sure if I envy the freedoms that youngsters have now or not.
On minus point was that years ago you did come out smelling like an ashtray.
Old 01-22-2007, 05:39 PM

Quote:

Hibou said the British were more discreet in their nightlife then the Americans were back then. From my minor forays into one or two clubs recently and from the reports in the news, there is no comparison. They did seem to be more genteel and I am not sure if I envy the freedoms that youngsters have now or not.
On minus point was that years ago you did come out smelling like an ashtray.
I suppose in the 70s, the British exclusive clubs like Annabel's still had that wonderful genteel quality that the Manhattan counterparts once had a couple of decades before.
Old 01-22-2007, 05:59 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasiraghiTrio
I suppose in the 70s, the British exclusive clubs like Annabel's still had that wonderful genteel quality that the Manhattan counterparts once had a couple of decades before.
Britain is normally 'behind the door', so to speak. I do think the whole culture was different for all of us 20-30 years ago.
Old 01-22-2007, 07:04 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
Britain is normally 'behind the door', so to speak. I do think the whole culture was different for all of us 20-30 years ago.
Behind the door? I haven't heard that one in quite awhile.
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 01-23-2007, 06:34 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysbel
Behind the door? I haven't heard that one in quite awhile.
Thank goodness someone had heard it before!
Old 01-23-2007, 06:39 AM
Imperial Majesty

Can Kate win a fight with the paparazzi?

Kate Middleton’s legal team are said to be looking at legal remedies available to curtail the excesses of the paparazzi, Tim Lawson-Cruttenden writes.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...556936,00.html
Old 01-24-2007, 09:48 AM
Heir Apparent

I had some really good moments (expressed in uncontrollable fits of laughter) reading this article. Enjoy!

Here We Go Again: A projected timeline of the Prince William and Kate Middleton courtship.

Quote:
... 2007 looks like being the year of Our Kate. It is perhaps too early to think of her as the new People's Princess, but her elegance, dignity and beauty certainly make her the People's Choice. Kate is what we need. ...
—Sunday Times of London

Queen Elizabeth: "I cannot lead you into battle, I do not give you laws or administer justice but I can do something else, I can give you my heart and my devotion to these old islands and to all the peoples of our brotherhood of nations." God, Save The Queen!
Closed Thread

Tags
kate middleton