The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-14-2007, 07:37 AM
Imperial Majesty

Oh, I like this portion!

And, like any couple, they have spats. The Prince's last-minute decision to spend Christmas and New Year with his grandmother at Sandringham, rather than with Kate and her family in Perthshire, provoked an anguished series of phone calls from Kate to William.
Then, last week, William chose not to join his girlfriend on her birthday; and he is also unlikely to be granted leave on Valentine's Day, leaving Kate on her own once again.

The Mail/this London

And they know about these anguished phone calls how? Could it be that Catherine was not invited and like most couples, separated at christmas and New Year for whatever reason, they spoke to each other over the phone a few times.

Now according to this article, William chose not to join Catherine on her birthday, they don't think that both being at work had something to do with it.

Old 01-14-2007, 07:41 AM

This really is getting silly now. Newspapers are printing assumption as fact. Ok, that's nothing new but it just puts unnessecary pressure on William and Kate. It's about time the Government did something about the press.

Old 01-14-2007, 07:55 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon

provoked an anguished series of phone calls
How can a series be anguished? In German this is the most common fault: wrong reference of adjectives or attributes...
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 01-14-2007, 08:00 AM

Quote:
How can a series be anguished?
Have you ever seen "Heartbeat"? That series is definately anguished.
Old 01-14-2007, 08:01 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan
Have you ever seen "Heartbeat"? That series is definately anguished.
I see.
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 01-14-2007, 08:02 AM
Royal Highness

Valentine's Day

Quote:
and he is also unlikely to be granted leave on Valentine's Day, leaving Kate on her own once again.
Ugh...? Since when is Valentine's Day a national holiday in the United Kingdom (or in which country whatsoever)?
Old 01-14-2007, 08:03 AM

It's not but it's seen as a likely date for an engagement announcement according to James "my sources tell me everything except anything of any actual interest" Whittaker.
Old 01-14-2007, 08:05 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henri M.
Ugh...? Since when is Valentine's Day a national holiday in the United Kingdom (or in which country whatsoever)?
It isn't, it is just a normal working day for the majority of people!
Old 01-14-2007, 10:57 AM
Nobility

You know as annoying as all this press attention is, at least it is in a manner where both of them can laugh about it (see article in post #81). However, I think the day is approaching when the press is going to go to the other side and will become nasty towards her....u know how the british press love to build someone up and then knock them off their pedestal - if an engagement is not forthcoming, I think they´ll start looking for the dirt on her.
Old 01-14-2007, 11:55 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by eireann
You know as annoying as all this press attention is, at least it is in a manner where both of them can laugh about it (see article in post #81). However, I think the day is approaching when the press is going to go to the other side and will become nasty towards her....u know how the british press love to build someone up and then knock them off their pedestal - if an engagement is not forthcoming, I think they´ll start looking for the dirt on her.
Despite the number of times the press say it, I don't believe that any of Catherines friends have spoken to any of the press, so I find it hard to believe this paragraph.

"Last week was a bit much, but in the end, they just added another tick to the wallchart they keep of how many times the Press predict an engagement," said Kate's friend. "They found that hilarious".

I think the press has already looked for dirt on her and come up empty handed and that is driving them wild!
Old 01-14-2007, 12:16 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Despite the number of times the press say it, I don't believe that any of Catherines friends have spoken to any of the press, so I find it hard to believe this paragraph.

"Last week was a bit much, but in the end, they just added another tick to the wallchart they keep of how many times the Press predict an engagement," said Kate's friend. "They found that hilarious".

I think the press has already looked for dirt on her and come up empty handed and that is driving them wild!
You're right, IMHO. There was this one girl she knew from school, but apart from her noone speaks to the media. And for Kay and the Mial hoping for a good connection to Catherine? Rubbish! She is surrounded by people who have all their own personal story about media intrusion to tell: Diana's sons, the POW, and especially Camilla! If it is true what some people claim that Camilla (has) used to phone editors, then she is a much better player in that dangerous game than many give her credence for. She came out of the whole mess a shining star on the Royal firnament - and should be the right person to give advice then. As Catherine is intelligent, she will listen and learn the ropes. Or has done that already.
Old 01-14-2007, 03:31 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Royals tend not to get engagaed on Valentines Day as it is seen as very "tacky" but Charles and Camilla had intended for their announcement to be on 14th feb - need i say any more!!!

Old 01-14-2007, 03:40 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessofEurope
Royals tend not to get engagaed on Valentines Day as it is seen as very "tacky" but Charles and Camilla had intended for their announcement to be on 14th feb - need i say any more!!!
maria theresa and henri of Luxembourg got married on Valentine's day. So I dont think there's really a 'tacky' stigma attached to it.but I doubt W and K would anounce their engagement that day as it has the 'bagage' of being C and C's intended anouncment date.
Old 01-14-2007, 04:25 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessofEurope
Oh dear!
Old 01-14-2007, 09:57 PM
Nobility

Paparazzi ambush

By the way...has anyone seen the photos in Hola magazine of the paparazzi ambushing Kate?

http://www.hola.com/casasreales/2007...ate-middleton/

In fact, there is a new biography I picked up of Diana this afternoon at my local library, and there are the "ambush" photos of the press meeting Diana at the door of her flat.

Eerie how much those photos look like Diana Spencer ca. 1980 with the main character substituting a short blonde shag for a brunette mane.

http://editorial.gettyimages.com/sou...=2635476&cdi=0

http://www.hola.com/galeria-de-image...eccion=inglesa

Why doesn't the British parliament pass some law stating that packs of photographs cannot approach a private person inside of a radius of 100 yards or it's considered stalking (i.e. criminal)...not sure how that legislation would read (or whether it would stand up), but there has to be something that can be done about the paparazzi and figures such as poor Kate. Until she is officially "signed up" to become part of the royal family, I think she's a private person and should be treated as such.
Old 01-14-2007, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Despite the number of times the press say it, I don't believe that any of Catherines friends have spoken to any of the press...
I agree. I wonder how the tabloids like Daily Mail are able to "quote" so-called "friends of Kate" and "friends of William" (or "friends of the couple") yet never say who the friend/s are. Maybe there is someone, just one person who talks to Richard Kay regularly about the couple, but this person is probably a marginal "friend" or, more likely, acquaintance that knew William or Kate, or both, from school. Thus, I'm sure Kay or someone else at DM can make the claim of having spoken (technically) to a "friend" of theirs.
Old 01-14-2007, 11:53 PM
Heir Apparent

Middleton's lawyers film media scrum

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main...15/npaps15.xml
Old 01-15-2007, 01:38 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by sara1981
Middleton's lawyers film media scrum

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main...15/npaps15.xml
Good stuff. I hope it does the trick.
Old 01-15-2007, 06:40 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Bluffton
Eerie how much those photos look like Diana Spencer ca. 1980 with the main character substituting a short blonde shag for a brunette mane.

http://editorial.gettyimages.com/sou...=2635476&cdi=0

http://www.hola.com/galeria-de-image...eccion=inglesa
You are joking, right.
Old 01-15-2007, 09:38 AM
Nobility

Skydragon -- thanks much for the response. Of course, Kate and Diana don't look alike (except for maybe their heighth), but what I mean is similar is the way the paparazzi has ambushed each of them before they were members of the royal family (still to be seen with Kate, of course). You could have photoshopped either of them out of of either photo, and substituted the other, and no one would have been wiser, I bet. That's what I meant.

Tags
kate middleton