The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-01-2007, 10:35 PM
Nobility

Bingo!!

Old 01-02-2007, 04:42 AM
Heir Presumptive

I personally find these name changes confusing.
And Diana's situation was different. She never asked everyone to call her "Di". The press did that and "Di" isn't even an actual name.
My question is if Kate or Catherine and William break up will she go back to having everyone call her Kate again? Or maybe she'll do like that musician, "The Artist Formerly Known as Prince" and start having everyone call her "The Girl Formerly Known as Catherine".
HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!

Old 01-02-2007, 05:37 AM
Administrator in Memoriam

The evolution of Ms Middleton

According to the search function, the first mention of Kate Middleton in the Royal Forums was on 17 June 2003, where a report quotes a tabloid story:
Quote:
"Is this William's Queen of Hearts?" asked The Sun tabloid in a story about William and a 20-year-old fellow student, Kate Middleton.
The first recorded mention of Catherine Middleton in the Forums (according to the search function) was on 2 April 2005 in a Times-online report:
Quote:
Catherine (Kate) Middleton's family home....
Previous to this reference, the Times-online refers to her as Miss Middleton, showing that either they were being very proper, or didn't know. The use of "Catherine (Kate)" with no explanantion is a bit of having it both ways.

Quite possibly it was the London Sun newspaper which christened her 'Kate', and most everyone else has followed suit.
Old 01-02-2007, 12:15 PM

close aides to William : Get married or cool the relationship for a while.
http://www.dnaindia.com/report.asp?NewsID=1072256
Old 01-02-2007, 04:30 PM
Courtier

William isn't demanding that the tabs stop calling him "Wills" so what makes Kate so special? She's not an HRH. She has not got that ring on her finger yet. She is just a girlfriend who at first it seems wanted to be called Kate and now wants to be called Catherine. So what? The tabs will do what they want and when she's no longer dating Wills, it won't matter because no one will be calling her anything.
Old 01-02-2007, 05:24 PM
Aristocracy

This "You can call me Catherine" article is pretty misleading. Even if she said such a thing it's been taken out of the context. It says "...according to friends..." - which friends? It seems she's a clever girl, she's been cautious so far and doing pretty well in gaining the sympathies of the public. Anything is possible but I honestly doubt she would do such a thing like demanding to be called Catherine bcz it sounds more noble.
Old 01-02-2007, 05:38 PM
Nobility

The article seems to be just re-hashing the story that came out a couple of months back about her preference to be called 'Catherine'. But now with a touch of venom by adding that bit about her alleged desire to sound 'regal'.

Good on you Catherine! You have the right name for a future consort.
Old 01-02-2007, 05:56 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

I think there's something fishy with the Kate/Catherine story. If Kate and William marry and the Queen makes her a Royal Duchess, then her friends won't be calling her Kate OR Catherine but rather Ma'am. The Kate vs. Catherine argument is immaterial.

If they want her to be referred to as Catherine as a Royal Duchess, all they have to do is issue a statement that she is to be called Catherine, Duchess of Such-and-such. But its a bit premature now.

Besides its not likely the tabloids will start calling her Catherine even if the Palace issues a statement like that but its even less likely that the tabloids will start calling her Catherine just because one tabloid mentions a friend of a friend who says Kate prefers to be called Catherine.

Diana was always called Di by the press even though her family's nickname for her was "Dutchess"
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 01-03-2007, 12:10 AM
Gentry

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/liv...n_page_id=1770 This explains quite a bit about Kate's job. Sounds like she just asked her mom for it, when William became concerned. but then again this is a tabloid...
Old 01-03-2007, 12:53 AM
Imperial Majesty

She must purely love the way her "friends" are telling the press things she's supposed to have said about Prince William. If she really was saying half the things she's alleged to have said, she'd have been dropped like a hot coal a long time ago.

Really, doesn't the Mail have any other way of selling papers than to print this sort of thing?
Old 01-03-2007, 01:11 AM
Nobility

I think there is truth underneath the trash. I bet the details about her working are true, but the "quote" to her friends and the WAG business kind of sounds like exaggeration.

Her co-workers are really into her boyfriend aren't they? First the mug and now the 20 pound note? If I were her I'd be like "guys, the joke is over".
Old 01-03-2007, 05:02 AM
Administrator in Memoriam

Maybe we are beating Kate/Catherine about the head with the wrong name.
According to the Daily Mail story, her work colleagues call her Katy.
For those members who have trouble getting to grips with two names, we now have a third to muddy the waters, or to provide an acceptable compromise.

Thanks to MarleyAllison for providing the link at #129.
Old 01-03-2007, 09:21 AM
Imperial Majesty

Oh dear, another 'story' from the mail! This time it would appear, not only do they call her Katy, but William is WILLY! Perhaps we ought to start calling her Cathy (which in the UK, is the normal shortening of the name Catherine).
Old 01-03-2007, 09:38 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon
Oh dear, another 'story' from the mail! This time it would appear, not only do they call her Katy, but William is WILLY! Perhaps we ought to start calling her Cathy (which in the UK, is the normal shortening of the name Catherine).
I haven't noticed the "Willy" part!
We have now William, Wills, Will and Willy for Prince William and Kate, Catherine, Katy and Cathy for Catherine Middleton. I suggest adding simple K for Kate, it's such a long name to write!
No one can complain there is a lack of nicknames for them!
Queen Elizabeth: "I cannot lead you into battle, I do not give you laws or administer justice but I can do something else, I can give you my heart and my devotion to these old islands and to all the peoples of our brotherhood of nations." God, Save The Queen!
Old 01-03-2007, 09:41 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon
I haven't noticed the "Willy" part!
We have now William, Wills, Will and Willy for Prince William and Kate, Catherine, Katy and Cathy for Catherine Middleton. I suggest adding simple K for Kate, it's such a long name to write!
No one can complain there is a lack of nicknames for them!
From the same 'mail' article.
'She hates it when people try to make out that her relationship with Willy is just another university romance,' said a source. 'As far as she is concerned, it is definitely the real thing.'
Old 01-03-2007, 10:55 AM
Heir Apparent

Thanks for explaining Skydragon!

There are new pictures of Kate Middleton at Wenn.
Kate Middleton gets a parking ticket.

Pictures:
Kate walking
Kate walking 2

Kate in the car
Kate getting into the car

Kate getting a parking ticket
Kate getting a parking ticket 2

more pictures here.
Queen Elizabeth: "I cannot lead you into battle, I do not give you laws or administer justice but I can do something else, I can give you my heart and my devotion to these old islands and to all the peoples of our brotherhood of nations." God, Save The Queen!
Old 01-03-2007, 11:00 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon
Or Kittycat, come to think of it. Free Willy from his Kittycat's claws...
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 01-03-2007, 12:13 PM
Courtier

Warden gives Kate a Royal ticking off

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/liv...n_page_id=1770
Old 01-03-2007, 12:38 PM
Nobility

How can anyone buy this load of garbage?! If the policeman had let her off, then they would have run headlines, that she's being given preferential treatment, or that the palace somehow intervened. How could you believe for one second that an aide told William to "get married or cool it"? The excuses that she can't come to base, etc. make no sense. Don't you think that William and Kate know what's coming? Doesn't anyone give them a bit of credit for the dignity and maturity they've shown till now? How can anyone think that pressuring them into mariage is a good idea?!!! I don't think that Charles or the Queen would allow pressure to be applied. It is the PRESS that's applying pressure. As for the Kate/Catherine debate, didn't it come out months ago (and it was discussed here ad nauseum) that she has always been called Katherine by her family and friends?!
Old 01-03-2007, 12:45 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Free Willy from his Kittycat's claws...
OMG Jo I nearly feel off my chair from laughing so hard. FREE WILLY !!!!

Qui- I totally agree with everything you said.

Map for the British Royals
Closed Thread

Tags
kate middleton