Kate Middleton Current Events 15: December 2006-January 2007

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
More drivel from the Daily Mail. What are they gonna do if William never proposes to Kate? Have a nervous breakdown?

Kendra said:
Well, Britney wasn't exactly photographed at 2:30 AM in the morning with PRINCE WILLIAM. Britney also isn't tipped to be the next Princess of Wales. :rolleyes: :)

Thought I should say I made a mistake in my post and not sure if you took it the wrong way.

I meant to say it was sad that someone could not show some leg without it making such a big fuss. Compared to the Britney antics, Kate showing her leg is nothing and certainly not worth the fuss made.

I think what Kenda was trying to point out was that there is a different expectation of behaviour with a pop star vis a vis someone heavily tipped to become a Queen of England. Kenda, I apologize if I'm wrong. :)

EmmieLou said:
Thought I should say I made a mistake in my post and not sure if you took it the wrong way.

I meant to say it was sad that someone could not show some leg without it making such a big fuss. Compared to the Britney antics, Kate showing her leg is nothing and certainly not worth the fuss made.
I understand. I was coming from a different point of view. :)
And thank-you for explaining HighGoalHighDreams.:flowers:

It is so distaseful and vulgar to speculate on Diana's opinions on things liek this. I don't think these Diana comparission stories help or hurt Kate. I just think it makes the Daily Mail look like idiots. Remember earlier this year they compared their fashion choices?

Diana 'would have liked a daughter'

i thought it was a nice article. the only thing distastefu about is a former employee is talking again.

Last edited:
originally posted by regardez
It is so distaseful and vulgar to speculate on Diana's opinions on things liek this. I don't think these Diana comparission stories help or hurt Kate. I just think it makes the Daily Mail look like idiots. Remember earlier this year they compared their fashion choices?

Diana 'would have liked a daughter'

The article is interesting and makes me wonder if Diana really would have liked a daughter. I think every woman would. But why the heck is her former private secretary talking about things like this? She seems to be wanting to milk the press for her own benefit. That is unfortunate.

Also, it seems The Daily Mail is just on a roll with any type of story with a link to Kate Middleton. The one they did a few days ago with her family of coal miners, was a little bit much.

They are just running with this story. I hope the outcome is an engagement or they will end up with egg on their face.

Also, anyone know when Kate and William are going on their ski trip? I thought I read that a few weeks back. I think it said it would be to celebrate her birthday?

Last edited by a moderator:
Isn't is old news that Diana and Charles too wanted a daughter? How does that translate into Diana approving of Kate as a wife for her son Wills? Personally, even though I'm no fan of Chelsy's, I think Di would have loved her more because of her free spirit. Di was very anti-establishment especially toward the end of her life and Kate strikes me as being very establishment. But we will all never know what Diana would have thought of her sons current gf's or future wives, do we?

Laviollette said:
Personally, even though I'm no fan of Chelsy's, I think Di would have loved her more because of her free spirit. Di was very anti-establishment especially toward the end of her life and Kate strikes me as being very establishment. But we will all never know what Diana would have thought of her sons current gf's or future wives, do we?

As you say none of us will ever know, but whilst Diana may have wanted to be seen as being just like 'one of you', I don't think she would have given up the extra wealth or status she fought for in the divorce. She would also not have wanted either of the boys to endanger their standing within the establishment. I don't believe Di was anti establishment, just anti Charles and his family.

Kate hasn't got a choice. She'll be grandaughter-in-law to THE establishment. She either does as she's told or she doesn't marry him in the first place.

MarleyAllison said:

Thank you for providing this link :flowers:. Hm, the Times takes on the topic of Catherine Middleton as a New Year's topic - saying this eg: "A well informed friend in the Queen’s circle said last week: “The Queen really likes Kate and sees in her the potential for an excellent consort when her grandson accedes the throne." - hm, is that to be taklen more (or even much more) seriously than other quotes from the "Royal circle" in tabloids? After all the queen herself reads the Times..

Does this mean the relationship between William and Catherine has heated up to a degree where it left the level of tabloid topic and reaches the serious newspapers, those where the editors have better possibilities to check their information directly at the source? Just wondering. What do you mean?

Jo of Palatine said:
hm, is that to be taken more (or even much more) seriously than other quotes from the "Royal circle" in tabloids? After all the queen herself reads the Times..

Does this mean the relationship between William and Catherine has heated up to a degree where it left the level of tabloid topic and reaches the serious newspapers, those where the editors have better possibilities to check their information directly at the source? Just wondering. What do you mean?

It is The Times on Line, which is no more reliable than The Sun on Line. :lol: We take The Times and the majority of times the articles in the paper version bear no relation to the articles on line.

Last edited:
Skydragon said:
It is The Times on Line, which is no more reliable than The Sun on Line. :lol: We take The Times and the majority of times the articles in the paper version bear no relation to the articles on line.

Oh, I didn't realise that. Here in Germany the online editions of the papers do have different and more articles, featuring topics the print edition has no space for (eg a travel section at DER SPIEGEL) but normally they are as carefully supervised by the print editor-in-chief as is the print edition. Thank you for the information. :flowers:

Jo of Palatine said:

Before coming to any conclusions about the seriousness of The Times, it doesn't hurt to take into account that it's one of the Murdoch papers these days. I used to buy copies of the Sunday Times when our local bookstore carried in (back when we lived in California), and Taki's gossip column was in the section purporting to deal with international news and editorials in detail. I think for a while Tara Palmer-Tompkinson's column about the trials of being an It Girl were in that section too.

Laviollette said:
Looks like being princess-in-waiting...and waiting has gone to plain jane's head.
Before we get over-excited about nomenclature and beat Kate/Catherine over the head with her own name, it's worth pointing out that Diana disliked "Di". However, newspaper editors prefer shorthand versions because they are easier to fit into headlines, and we prefer them because they give us a sense of familiarity.

It's also worth noting that this story was first published about two months ago, so it's hardly new or news.

It's also worth noting that The Sun is a tabloid.

I mentioned the Kate and Catherine story a few months ago, to be honest I know many people who hate their name being shortened.

When my dad was living at home, friends would call and ask for him by a shortned version of his name, his mum would say nobody of that name lived there as she hated people doing that.

Yes, but if I remember correctly, didn't she start by wanting to be called Kate? That is how I've always called her and will continue to do so. Yes, Catharine sounds more nobel, if you wish, but she isn't yet.

People go through phases. Even if Kate/Catherine had preferred Kate more at some point, it's her perogative to go with her given name....all of this is assuming she really issued any edict at all.;)

This article is laughable! Given what we know about Diana's temperament, she and Kate probably would NOT have gotten along. She probably would have had a hard time dealing with William's new loyalties and with someone else stealing her limelight. It would have been a disaster. I guess if the press can't have the real thing they've got to just invent it.

Her name is Catherine Elizabeth Middleton. Her family calls her Catherine, and she was called Catherine when she got to Marlborough. Let's string her up for wanting to go by her given name. :rolleyes:
(I have a sis who hates her real name and goes by a shortened name. Her friends all call her the short version of her name, which we her family despise. Didn't Richard Burton hate to be called Dick -- Elizabeth Taylor would call him "Dickie" to push his buttons, if I remember correctly.:lol: )

qui mal y pense said:
This article is laughable! Given what we know about Diana's temperament, she and Kate probably would NOT have gotten along. She probably would have had a hard time dealing with William's new loyalties and with someone else stealing her limelight. It would have been a disaster.
Since poor Diana is not here to defend herself from the speculation, I will give her the benefit of the doubt and prefer to believe that she would welcome Kate/Catherine and accept her as a special person in William's life, much as apparently Charles and the Queen allegedly have. I don't recall Diana having a selfish streak and wanting to keep William's attentions all for herself or wanting all the limelight at the expense of her children. I remember quite the opposite: a woman who wanted her sons to be raised completely opposite from the cloistered, unhappy, and lonely childhoods that she and Charles lived. She heaped love on those boys and wanted them to live happy and fulfilled lives. But who knows in the end. It's so sad she is not here now so we will never know.

Luv2Cruise said:
Her name is Catherine Elizabeth Middleton. Her family calls her Catherine, and she was called Catherine when she got to Marlborough. Let's string her up for wanting to go by her given name. :rolleyes: ...

And just another article about Kate/Catherine issue. The only new thing for me in this article is the 'fact' Kate wants to be called Catherine because she thinks it's much more suited for a Princess! :rolleyes: ;)

Kate Middleton wants to be called a more regal 'Catherine'

Kate Middleton is insisting on being called Catherine, in an attempt to sound more regal as she waits for Prince William to pop the question.
The stunning brunette, who was christened Catherine, thinks it has a more "formal ring" to it, according to friends.

I love it how they never give the friends names.

I mean, really, she is a grown woman...she can call herself Buttercup if she wants.

Absolutely Zonk.:flowers: Again, Catherine is what her family has called her long before she ever crossed William's path. Where is the problem???

I also hate when people (especially my family) call me Solita (wich means alone) instead of Solange. So I get her, but one thing is not liking to be called by a shortened name because it is not your given name and another is not liking it because it doesn't sound "regal" enough. Or maybe this is just being blown out of proportion by the press.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom