The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-17-2006, 05:06 PM
Royal Highness

Thanks Laviollette! The dress looks like a chiffon piece.

Old 12-17-2006, 06:18 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon
Kate Middleton pegged to be the next British princess

London- She's pretty, but not drop dead gorgeous. She's clever, but quiet. She's got style, but she's not showy. The British public has made up its mind.

http://www.hamiltonspectator.com/bre...s_9002166.html
"It is as if the imaginary hand of the British people is shoving the officer cadet and future King forward and saying, 'Go on, ask her, ask her.' "

*groan* I almost can't believe anyone would write this about Charles & Diana's son. Almost.

Old 12-17-2006, 06:40 PM
Serene Highness

Here's a bigger picture from the ball; same one from wireimage as just posted.

http://previews5.wireimage.com/image...00654050PM.jpg
Old 12-17-2006, 06:51 PM

The dress is very pretty. I'm wondering what she's wearing around her wrist. That looks like a red Kabbala string.... (?)

(Oh, and hi, by the way, I'm new here)
Old 12-17-2006, 06:55 PM
Royal Highness
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn
"It is as if the imaginary hand of the British people is shoving the officer cadet and future King forward and saying, 'Go on, ask her, ask her.' "

*groan* I almost can't believe anyone would write this about Charles & Diana's son. Almost.
Shades of the time when Charles bought into the media's love affair with Lady Diana. Let's hope William is more resistant to that notion (and that he proposes to the right girl for him, Kate or not).
Old 12-17-2006, 07:31 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess_K
The dress is very pretty. I'm wondering what she's wearing around her wrist. That looks like a red Kabbala string.... (?)

(Oh, and hi, by the way, I'm new here)
Welcome, Princess_K. Thanks for posting the link to the larger version of the pic, Christinacg.

The dress does look pretty. I'd like to see a clearer pic with detail of the front of the dress. Hopefully we will get to see one in due course.

I think the red thing looks too thick to be a Kabbala string. My guess it's a wrist band of the "admit this person" type.
Old 12-17-2006, 08:10 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by asturiana
For those who speaks spanish, an article from Hola.com.
Thanks for that. What is Kate saying in that video? "I see you"?

There was a picture of her driving to the ball in the daily express (http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y4/...m/KateBall.jpg) and it looks like it is just a braclet and not Kabbalah strings.
Old 12-17-2006, 08:22 PM
Heir Presumptive

The Queen is a stickler for protocol and she would never invite Kate to Christmas at Sandringham without being engaged first. That's not to say that she may invite Kate to spend some time at the estate after Christmas, but only the royal family is present on the holiday itself.
Old 12-17-2006, 08:30 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by christinacg
Here's a bigger picture from the ball; same one from wireimage as just posted.

http://previews5.wireimage.com/image...00654050PM.jpg
Christina, thank you for enlarging that picture, it makes it easier to see the dress. Catherine's dress is lovely!! From what I can see in the photo, she looks very pretty as well. I hope we get to see a clear picture of her dress, and one of she and Prince William together.

I think the ribbon around her wrist seems to match Prince William's colours, but I could be wrong.

On another note, I don't believe Catherine would be so crass as to turn down an invitation from the Queen. I think the article is probably rubbish, and that she wasn't invited in the first place. That is the only logical explanation.
Old 12-17-2006, 08:47 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laviollette
I doubt Kate was invited to spend Christmas and go to church with the RF in the first place. The DM is just covering its butt with that ridiculous story about Kate turning down an invitation from the Queen. And why would she be invited? She's not engaged to William. One thing we know about QEII is that she holds to tradition in these circumstances. She didn't even attend her own son's civil wedding, only the CoE blessing ceremony. And if she invited Kate, wouldn't she have to invite the beau of Zara Phillips and girlfriend of her brother too?

When I woke up this morning I had Channel 9 TV on here in Sydney, on their Morning Programme, and they were running this story - heading "Royal Snub".

One of the presenters actually said that he/she wondered (I was just waking up and wasn't really listening so which one it was I can't remember) whether or not Kate said "no" as an ultimatum!!
Old 12-17-2006, 08:51 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyaR
On another note, I don't believe Catherine would be so crass as to turn down an invitation from the Queen. I think the article is probably rubbish, and that she wasn't invited in the first place. That is the only logical explanation.

I have an alternative explanation, which I think is logical if you think of Kate and HM as two human beings who seem to get on rather well, and not just as Monarch and subject. I stress that this is, of course, only pure speculation on my part, but considering that Kate and William are clearly now an official "item", I don't think it's outrageously far-fetched.

I understand Kate & the Queen lunched together alone recently. It's likely that they discussed what's happening at Christmas, because that's what people tend to do at this time of year. It's possible Kate told HM that her family was having a big get-together in Scotland and she'd really like to be there because she was beginning to lose precious relatives (I think I read that her two grandmothers died this year) and family was increasingly important to her. It's possible that HM said she fully understood but that Kate would be very welcome to join the RF at Sandringham.
Old 12-17-2006, 09:02 PM
Nobility

Oh I guess to answer my own question. Kate is saying "I see you ever single morning?" in that video.
Old 12-17-2006, 09:10 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissy57
When I woke up this morning I had Channel 9 TV on here in Sydney, on their Morning Programme, and they were running this story - heading "Royal Snub".

One of the presenters actually said that he/she wondered (I was just waking up and wasn't really listening so which one it was I can't remember) whether or not Kate said "no" as an ultimatum!!
Goodness! I missed that.

Australia is full of Royal-flavoured news at the moment. Yesterday's Sun-Herald had a colour pic of William & HM at the graduation on the front page, another article about the ceremony entitled "An officer and a lady: Engagement anticipated as Kate watched parade" on page 3 with four colour photos, being the kissing pics of William & Charles & William & Camilla, William saluting, and a full-length one of Kate and her smart scarlet and black outfit. Further in on page 7 was a much sadder story about a 17 year old boy who has now been missing in the bush for 8 days after becoming separated from friends during a bushwalk task for the silver level of the Duke of Edinburgh's Award. There were also two items about Lord Stevens' report. Today's Sydney Morning Herald contains Prince Charles' "green castle" story.
Old 12-17-2006, 09:28 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by branchg
The Queen is a stickler for protocol and she would never invite Kate to Christmas at Sandringham without being engaged first. That's not to say that she may invite Kate to spend some time at the estate after Christmas, but only the royal family is present on the holiday itself.
Also I thought it was not possible to turn the Queen down. Doesn't someone from her staff call up to make sure the person would be able to do it should the Queen extend the invitation. No one wants to be in the position to turn down the Queen. So I wonder if the invitation was ever really extended. Or if so for after Christmas day. That would make more sense.
Old 12-18-2006, 01:27 AM
Heir Presumptive

I doubt very much that Kate would turn down the Queen. This is a ridiculous story made up by bored people looking to fill quota. I agree with the sentiment that it would have been nice if she could be there, but she and Will are not engaged and it wouldn't have been fair for her to attend if others in her position were not afforded the same courtesy.
"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 12-18-2006, 02:54 AM
Nobility

I must disagree with Branch, it seems quite clear that Kate was invited but preferred to spend Christmas with her family. She has recently lost two close relatives, I think her grandmothers, was it?

Seems very likely they will get engaged in the spring. I can't think of a better wife for William.
Old 12-18-2006, 06:14 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by regardez

There was a picture of her driving to the ball in the daily express (http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y4/...m/KateBall.jpg)
"Shouldn't one wear a belt?" asks the paper and one asks oneself if this can be true so shortly after the publishing of the Diana-report? That William's girlfriend drives without a safetybelt?

BTW: it just started to snow... so maybe we have here close to the Alpine mountains a white christmas after all?
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 12-18-2006, 06:20 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by hibou
Also I thought it was not possible to turn the Queen down. Doesn't someone from her staff call up to make sure the person would be able to do it should the Queen extend the invitation. No one wants to be in the position to turn down the Queen.
Just remember that British people are the subjects of their Majesty. And that this august personage could have ordered you killed or transported not so long ago, if you displeased her. So how could one turn down such an invitation? And why should there have been one in the first place. Even if the queen wanted to invite Catherine (which I don't believe) she would have told William to check with Catherine first! Why take the official, unsecure road if there is private and much more reliable shortcut available?

BTW - is that a proven fact that Kate was invited for tea to the queen and later went out riding with her or is that just anothe rof "these" rumours? Pictures anyone?
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 12-18-2006, 07:48 AM
Nobility

Why should there have been one? B/c all the royal family loves and approves of Kate. Reports in the papers say Prince Charles is looking for a "love-nest" ie house for the two of them.

This wouldn't have been a formal written invite where the Queen commands your presence, just an informal approach, probably William asked her after the Queen offered. And being the down to earth girl she is she'd rather have Christmas with her folks.
Old 12-18-2006, 09:30 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo of Palatine
Just remember that British people are the subjects of their Majesty. And that this august personage could have ordered you killed or transported not so long ago, if you displeased her. So how could one turn down such an invitation? And why should there have been one in the first place. Even if the queen wanted to invite Catherine (which I don't believe) she would have told William to check with Catherine first! Why take the official, unsecure road if there is private and much more reliable shortcut available?

BTW - is that a proven fact that Kate was invited for tea to the queen and later went out riding with her or is that just anothe rof "these" rumours? Pictures anyone?
It's why I doubted the story but I can see her being invited after Christmas.
Also the Palace would not welcome anymore engagement stories which this would cause. I think they will keep the engagement private for a couple months until more things are in place. I think a early fall wedding or spring a year from now would be more likely. William still has alot of military service to do before taking on his official duties as a royal. Just a guess.

Tags
kate middleton