The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-01-2006, 10:12 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess olga
Samgee, nothing's more critical than going to every single polo match her boyfriend is participating in--after all, she needs to keep an eye on him and make sure he doesn't get to flirt with other contenders!!

But seriously, I'm sure she does more important stuff than this, but the thing is, we don't get to see it as not every single waking moment of her life is documented by the paparazzi, thank goodness!
LOL!!! I think that your first comment is very funny....the part about keeping an eye on her boyfriend.

Your second point is very good! She can only be photographed when she is out and about. Since she is dating the Crown Prince it makes sense that she is particpating in many high profile events, but to balance that what she does outside of those events is largely unknown to us. Her private life, life outside of public events is still very much her private life. Let's hope she becomes famous enough for someone to write a behind-the-scenes tell-all book and then we will know more.

Old 07-02-2006, 03:27 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi P.
Since she is dating the Crown Prince it makes sense that she is particpating in many high profile events, but to balance that what she does outside of those events is largely unknown to us.
I think that Prince Charles is the Crown Prince as he is immediately in line. I wouldn't have said anything, but it's been said a couple of times about Prince William and I wanted to point that out in case there has been a misunderstanding regarding terminology. :)

Old 07-02-2006, 07:14 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
their realization that this was someone different, someone clever, cunning and intelligent. Kate has learned her own lessons and drawn her own conclusions from. Hence the more-placid-than-though impression I've so far had of Kate. Which may or may not be accurate, but that's another topic.
Sly and cunning I would agree with, intelligent..... that is pushing credulity a bit far.

Kate is her own person and with a university education does have intelligence. She also seems to be more interested in William as a person than becoming a princess or gaining the adulation of a very fickle press or public.
Old 07-02-2006, 12:48 PM
Nobility

These useless comparison b/w Kate Middleton & Princess Diana is comical to say the least. Diana was a unique individual that cannot be repeated, I doubt if her sons' want to marry a carbon copy of their loving mother, unless you come from freudulent school of thought. Besides, Kate comes from a different generation, albietly from a similar wealthy background, but she's neither aristocratic nor a royal. Comparing her to a woman who became an icon in the world and died tragically is doing a disservice to both parties.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon
Sly and cunning I would agree with, intelligent..... that is pushing credulity a bit far.

Kate is her own person and with a university education does have intelligence. She also seems to be more interested in William as a person than becoming a princess or gaining the adulation of a very fickle press or public.
did you manage to get that from a tarot reading card university degree isn't an indicative of ones intellectual capacity, if that's the case college campuses will be the hub for Einstien-like personality. I think the kind of woman Kate will become depends on how successful her relationship will be with Prince William. All we see right now is a young woman dating a prince, committed to him and have yet to display any of the charisma and independence most woman of her generation show. I just hope she doesn't become another rich socialite living her life for partying and celebhobbing.

PS. public adulation cannot be achieved by any form of cunning, or few monarchy in western countries will have survived. You either have that unexplainable thing few plp like Princess Diana had or you don't. Now, media adulation is another matter, the tabloid have already named Kate "princess-in-waiting"
Old 07-02-2006, 01:07 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRH Kimetha
I think that Prince Charles is the Crown Prince as he is immediately in line. I wouldn't have said anything, but it's been said a couple of times about Prince William and I wanted to point that out in case there has been a misunderstanding regarding terminology. :)
HRH Kimetha,
Thanks so much for correcting me!!! It is indeed very important to be concise about these things.
Old 07-02-2006, 03:45 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamyah
did you manage to get that from a tarot reading card PS. public adulation cannot be achieved by any form of cunning, or few monarchy in western countries will have survived.
I am puzzled by your remark, what has the tarot got to do with anything written??
Fickle means inconstant/changeable and that sums up the celebrity worshippers, whether they are the press or the public. This article shows an example of the sort of headline being used by the papers in '97.
http://www.city-journal.org/html/7_4_oh_to_be.html

Most of the royal families have survived through genuine affection and regard for their people, not by playing 'the poor little me 'Jerry Springer type 'victim'.
Those that live by the media, also die by the media (METAPHORICALLY SPEAKING).

Kate clearly does not feel the need to court the media or the general public (In the UK or abroad) and is, it seems to me, content with the love of her prince and both their families. Do we need to compare them, no, the world has moved on and become much more aware of media manipulation in the last 10 - 15 years.
Old 07-02-2006, 08:25 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Love your thougtful analysis Roslyn, but I beg to differ on a few points.
Thank you for your thoughtful response to my post, Princess Olga. We do differ on a few points, but I appreciate the fact you took the time to provide such a detailed response.
Old 07-02-2006, 08:33 PM

Here you guys go all over again with your over-analyizations! :p I am partly teasing you, but there is a note of seriousness here. Do you guys really think that Prince William would have allowed the media "in" on his secret if he didn't have serious intentions toward Kate? And whatever anyone says to the contrary, we only know about "Kate and William" because William allowed it to happen. As far as I've always been able to tell, there is no royal alive who is more clever about his secrets than Prince William. That boy knows what he's doing!
Old 07-02-2006, 08:39 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
I agree about your thoughts on the cat and mouse game, but all the same I think Diana did amazingly well considering no one was guiding her.
Someone was guiding her. Richard Kay of the Daily Mail said he and other reporters gave her advice before she was even engaged on how to handle the press.
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 07-02-2006, 08:42 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgirl

i guess it's the media's fault that she was portrayed as somebody who's a perfect princess-in-waiting, sophisticated, stunning, good family background, popular, diligent, chic, laid back, confident and all the other adjective you can make for somebody who's perfect
I don't think the papers ever made Kate out to be laid back. The first I heard of her was that she was the major force to get William through a tough time in the University. A girl has to have a pretty strong will to do that. The laid-back need not apply.

I think Kate's major sin with some is that she's not charismatic. Charisma can be very dangerous and public adulation is really not all its cracked up to be. So I'm fine with William dating an uncharismatic girl.
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 07-02-2006, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysbel
I don't think the papers ever made Kate out to be laid back. The first I heard of her was that she was the major force to get William through a tough time in the University. A girl has to have a pretty strong will to do that. The laid-back need not apply.
Very true, unless the reports of her being the one to convince him to just change his major aren't precise. That might have been an invention. Don't get me wrong; I don't mean to belittle Kate's influence on him. I am a "Kate fan" (as "Kate fans" go) so I'll be the first to admit any of her attributes.

Quote:
I think Kate's major sin with some is that she's not charismatic. Charisma can be very dangerous and public adulation is really not all its cracked up to be. So I'm fine with William dating an uncharismatic girl.
Ysbel makes a very wise point here. Bravo. If I could give you kudo points (as they do at other forums) I would give you some for this one statement. Well-said.
Old 07-02-2006, 11:53 PM
Gentry

you gotta be kidding if you think we have read the same and exact pieces of news about kate middleton, right? that would be impossible since there is qutie a large number of articles about kate that have been posted in the internet.

but i would gladly post it here as soon as i recall what websites i have caught those articles. :p i am sure i read it somewhere.
Old 07-03-2006, 12:07 AM
Gentry

ysbel, if i am refering to THAT situation you just said just to say that kate is "laid back" i'd be stepping into lame grounds, right? and i would not be doing anyone a favor by misguiding them into some unreasonable contradiction.
Old 07-03-2006, 12:11 AM
Gentry

this is one of the articles i am refering to:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=383135&in_page_id=1770&in_a_source=&ct=5

ok so let's read between the lines...

From Daily Mail
15 April 2006
Quote:
Like Chelsy, she has come to terms with the fact a potential princess needs to choose her career carefully.
But there is no doubt it is Kate who is more at home in front of the cameras. Extremely comfortable in her own skin, she has no compunction in laying down the law with the paparazzi.
For example, when asked to pose for pictures at a horse show recently, she refused, saying: "If I did that, then I'd have to do it all the time, skiing, everywhere."
Nevertheless, this did not prevent her from flashing a dazzling smile for the cameras and pausing for a moment before turning away. As one source puts it: "People say Chelsy is the pushy one, but they misunderstand Kate if they think she is laid back.
perhaps an editorial, but aren't we all basing judgments from mere speculations? as far as i can remember, she hasnt had any interview or biography launching since she got out in public that we can truly say a hard fact.
Old 07-03-2006, 12:24 AM

The press drives me crazy the way they compare women all the time. And they compare women who are so not comparable!!!! Kate and Chelsy? They are so different. [edited out vulgar comment-ysbel] Who is more laid-back? Who cares?:p
Old 07-03-2006, 03:44 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon
I am puzzled by your remark, what has the tarot got to do with anything written??
Fickle means inconstant/changeable and that sums up the celebrity worshippers, whether they are the press or the public. This article shows an example of the sort of headline being used by the papers in '97.
http://www.city-journal.org/html/7_4_oh_to_be.html

Most of the royal families have survived through genuine affection and regard for their people, not by playing 'the poor little me 'Jerry Springer type 'victim'.
Those that live by the media, also die by the media (a new version of an old saying).

Kate clearly does not feel the need to court the media or the general public (In the UK or abroad) and is, it seems to me, content with the love of her prince and both their families. Do we need to compare them, no, the world has moved on and become much more aware of media manipulation in the last 10 - 15 years.
its a little satire of mine, i thought you would get it, what with the city-journal link you've provided. Afterall, fickle is changeable (adj) in term of ones loyalty and it has little to do with celebworshipping and more with deception. Having said that, I find it interesting that we are supposed to be more 'aware' as you indicated about media manipulation, yet you argue that monarchies (an example of 'theatre of the absurd') lasted through genuine affection & regards for their plp. Any instituion, particularly a monarchy with its bloody and political history hasn't lasted out of good will, rather through political succession and mastry over public perception. For fear of turning this thread into history lessons, I'll only say that to assume the royal family do not employ their own little army of 'public & media PR,' is to ignore the role 'media manipulation' & 'public sympathy' plays in sustaining our present kings & queens
Old 07-03-2006, 05:38 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysbel

IMHO, Kate is not yet in a position to show if she has charisma or not. I wasn't very much impressed by Princess Diana (oh, these comparisons) when she first got some public attention but she learned fast. The same with Princess Mary - now she is a stunner but she wasn't it in the beginning. At least not for me.

I think there will be a time when we realize that we have known nothing of Kate so far besides bits and pieces arranged according to her own will. If she is to be the next princess of Wales, we'll find out a bit more. Only then we'll realize if she has charisma or not.

As an apart: for me "charisma" is the ability to give the impression of an inner sparkle. There are people who can turn this ability on and off.
Old 07-03-2006, 06:05 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamyah
its a little satire of mine, i thought you would get it, what with the city-journal link you've provided.
Any instituion, particularly a monarchy with its bloody and political history hasn't lasted out of good will, rather through political succession and mastry over public perception
Afterall, fickle is changeable (adj) in term of ones loyalty and it has little to do with celebworshipping and more with deception.
No I don't 'get it', either you are using a beginners pack or fortune cookies, if it was an attempt at sarcasm, it failed. If not, do explain what you meant, I know I am not the only one puzzled by your remark.
Fickle has everything to do with celebrity worship and loyalty, nothing to do with deception.
Todays monarchies are what we were talking about, ("PS. public adulation cannot be achieved by any form of cunning or few monarchy in western countries will have survived"). not what happened in the past but, even then, to get the armies behind you, you had to do and say things that would make you popular, you had to be cunning to get the adulation whereby people would fight and give their lives for you.

There will always be people who like Kate, don't mind Kate, love Kate, worship Kate, dislike Kate, loathe Kate, hate Kate, the same as it was for Diana.

The media was being nice to Kate but, then when she wouldn't 'play ball' and tell them where she was going to be or what she does with her life, pose and pout, they decided to give negative reports on this girl, to influence their readers, most of whom seem to believe everything they read.
Old 07-03-2006, 10:01 AM
Heir Apparent

KATE SUPPORTS HER PRINCE AT POLO CHALLENGE

There's no mistaking the future heir to the throne's girlfriend these days. Kate Middleton's elegant dress sense never fails to set her out from the crowd, as was the case when she supported Prince William at a polo match on Saturday.
http://www.hellomagazine.com/royalty...katemiddleton/
Attached Images

Queen Elizabeth: "I cannot lead you into battle, I do not give you laws or administer justice but I can do something else, I can give you my heart and my devotion to these old islands and to all the peoples of our brotherhood of nations." God, Save The Queen!
Old 07-03-2006, 10:31 AM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgirl
this is one of the articles i am refering to:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=383135&in_page_id=1770&in_a_source=&ct=5

ok so let's read between the lines...

From Daily Mail
15 April 2006

Like Chelsy, she has come to terms with the fact a potential princess needs to choose her career carefully.
But there is no doubt it is Kate who is more at home in front of the cameras. Extremely comfortable in her own skin, she has no compunction in laying down the law with the paparazzi.
For example, when asked to pose for pictures at a horse show recently, she refused, saying: "If I did that, then I'd have to do it all the time, skiing, everywhere."
Nevertheless, this did not prevent her from flashing a dazzling smile for the cameras and pausing for a moment before turning away. As one source puts it: "People say Chelsy is the pushy one, but they misunderstand Kate if they think she is laid back.

perhaps an editorial, but aren't we all basing judgments from mere speculations? as far as i can remember, she hasnt had any interview or biography launching since she got out in public that we can truly say a hard fact.
coolgirl,

I'm not disagreeing with you whether Kate is really laid back (you're right, we can't know it for sure) but you mentioned that it was the public perception that she was. Yet this article says emphatically that Kate is NOT laid back.

-- Deepak Chopra
Closed Thread

Tags
kate middleton