Kate Middleton Current Events 10: June-July 2006

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
ysbel said:
I don't think the papers ever made Kate out to be laid back. The first I heard of her was that she was the major force to get William through a tough time in the University. A girl has to have a pretty strong will to do that. The laid-back need not apply.

Very true, unless the reports of her being the one to convince him to just change his major aren't precise. That might have been an invention. Don't get me wrong; I don't mean to belittle Kate's influence on him. I am a "Kate fan" (as "Kate fans" go) so I'll be the first to admit any of her attributes.

I think Kate's major sin with some is that she's not charismatic. Charisma can be very dangerous and public adulation is really not all its cracked up to be. So I'm fine with William dating an uncharismatic girl.

Ysbel makes a very wise point here. Bravo. If I could give you kudo points (as they do at other forums) I would give you some for this one statement. Well-said.

you gotta be kidding if you think we have read the same and exact pieces of news about kate middleton, right? that would be impossible since there is qutie a large number of articles about kate that have been posted in the internet.

but i would gladly post it here as soon as i recall what websites i have caught those articles. :p i am sure i read it somewhere.

ysbel, if i am refering to THAT situation you just said just to say that kate is "laid back" i'd be stepping into lame grounds, right? and i would not be doing anyone a favor by misguiding them into some unreasonable contradiction.

this is one of the articles i am refering to:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=383135&in_page_id=1770&in_a_source=&ct=5

ok so let's read between the lines...

From Daily Mail
15 April 2006
Like Chelsy, she has come to terms with the fact a potential princess needs to choose her career carefully.
But there is no doubt it is Kate who is more at home in front of the cameras. Extremely comfortable in her own skin, she has no compunction in laying down the law with the paparazzi.
For example, when asked to pose for pictures at a horse show recently, she refused, saying: "If I did that, then I'd have to do it all the time, skiing, everywhere."
Nevertheless, this did not prevent her from flashing a dazzling smile for the cameras and pausing for a moment before turning away. As one source puts it: "People say Chelsy is the pushy one, but they misunderstand Kate if they think she is laid back.
perhaps an editorial, but aren't we all basing judgments from mere speculations? as far as i can remember, she hasnt had any interview or biography launching since she got out in public that we can truly say a hard fact.

Last edited:
The press drives me crazy the way they compare women all the time. And they compare women who are so not comparable!!!! Kate and Chelsy? They are so different. [edited out vulgar comment-ysbel] Who is more laid-back? Who cares?:p

Last edited by a moderator:
Skydragon said:
I am puzzled by your remark, what has the tarot got to do with anything written??
Fickle means inconstant/changeable and that sums up the celebrity worshippers, whether they are the press or the public. This article shows an example of the sort of headline being used by the papers in '97.
http://www.city-journal.org/html/7_4_oh_to_be.html

Most of the royal families have survived through genuine affection and regard for their people, not by playing 'the poor little me 'Jerry Springer type 'victim'.
Those that live by the media, also die by the media (a new version of an old saying).

Kate clearly does not feel the need to court the media or the general public (In the UK or abroad) and is, it seems to me, content with the love of her prince and both their families. Do we need to compare them, no, the world has moved on and become much more aware of media manipulation in the last 10 - 15 years.

its a little satire of mine, i thought you would get it, what with the city-journal link you've provided. Afterall, fickle is changeable (adj) in term of ones loyalty and it has little to do with celebworshipping and more with deception. Having said that, I find it interesting that we are supposed to be more 'aware' as you indicated about media manipulation, yet you argue that monarchies (an example of 'theatre of the absurd') lasted through genuine affection & regards for their plp. Any instituion, particularly a monarchy with its bloody and political history hasn't lasted out of good will, rather through political succession and mastry over public perception. For fear of turning this thread into history lessons, I'll only say that to assume the royal family do not employ their own little army of 'public & media PR,' is to ignore the role 'media manipulation' & 'public sympathy' plays in sustaining our present kings & queens:cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
ysbel said:
I don't think the papers ever made Kate out to be laid back. The first I heard of her was that she was the major force to get William through a tough time in the University. A girl has to have a pretty strong will to do that. The laid-back need not apply.

I think Kate's major sin with some is that she's not charismatic. Charisma can be very dangerous and public adulation is really not all its cracked up to be. So I'm fine with William dating an uncharismatic girl.

IMHO, Kate is not yet in a position to show if she has charisma or not. I wasn't very much impressed by Princess Diana (oh, these comparisons) when she first got some public attention but she learned fast. The same with Princess Mary - now she is a stunner but she wasn't it in the beginning. At least not for me.

I think there will be a time when we realize that we have known nothing of Kate so far besides bits and pieces arranged according to her own will. If she is to be the next princess of Wales, we'll find out a bit more. Only then we'll realize if she has charisma or not.

As an apart: for me "charisma" is the ability to give the impression of an inner sparkle. There are people who can turn this ability on and off.

Lamyah said:
its a little satire of mine, i thought you would get it, what with the city-journal link you've provided.
Any instituion, particularly a monarchy with its bloody and political history hasn't lasted out of good will, rather through political succession and mastry over public perception
Afterall, fickle is changeable (adj) in term of ones loyalty and it has little to do with celebworshipping and more with deception.

No I don't 'get it', either you are using a beginners pack or fortune cookies, if it was an attempt at sarcasm, it failed. If not, do explain what you meant, I know I am not the only one puzzled by your remark. :confused:
Fickle has everything to do with celebrity worship and loyalty, nothing to do with deception.
Todays monarchies are what we were talking about, ("PS. public adulation cannot be achieved by any form of cunning or few monarchy in western countries will have survived"). not what happened in the past but, even then, to get the armies behind you, you had to do and say things that would make you popular, you had to be cunning to get the adulation whereby people would fight and give their lives for you.

There will always be people who like Kate, don't mind Kate, love Kate, worship Kate, dislike Kate, loathe Kate, hate Kate, the same as it was for Diana.

The media was being nice to Kate but, then when she wouldn't 'play ball' and tell them where she was going to be or what she does with her life, pose and pout, they decided to give negative reports on this girl, to influence their readers, most of whom seem to believe everything they read.

Last edited:
KATE SUPPORTS HER PRINCE AT POLO CHALLENGE

There's no mistaking the future heir to the throne's girlfriend these days. Kate Middleton's elegant dress sense never fails to set her out from the crowd, as was the case when she supported Prince William at a polo match on Saturday.
http://www.hellomagazine.com/royalty/2006/07/03/katemiddleton/

Attachments

• kate-dop1a.jpg
    kate-dop1a.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 296
  • kate-dop2a.jpg
    kate-dop2a.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 197
  • kate-dop3a.jpg
    kate-dop3a.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 414
coolgirl said:
this is one of the articles i am refering to:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=383135&in_page_id=1770&in_a_source=&ct=5

ok so let's read between the lines...

From Daily Mail
15 April 2006

Like Chelsy, she has come to terms with the fact a potential princess needs to choose her career carefully.
But there is no doubt it is Kate who is more at home in front of the cameras. Extremely comfortable in her own skin, she has no compunction in laying down the law with the paparazzi.
For example, when asked to pose for pictures at a horse show recently, she refused, saying: "If I did that, then I'd have to do it all the time, skiing, everywhere."
Nevertheless, this did not prevent her from flashing a dazzling smile for the cameras and pausing for a moment before turning away. As one source puts it: "People say Chelsy is the pushy one, but they misunderstand Kate if they think she is laid back.

perhaps an editorial, but aren't we all basing judgments from mere speculations? as far as i can remember, she hasnt had any interview or biography launching since she got out in public that we can truly say a hard fact.

coolgirl,

I'm not disagreeing with you whether Kate is really laid back (you're right, we can't know it for sure) but you mentioned that it was the public perception that she was. Yet this article says emphatically that Kate is NOT laid back.

There are so many new pics of Kate at rex, so I went ahead and supload-ed them, then put them on a page of my site to keep them all together. I'm going to add more soon. Here you go: http://casiraghitrio.com/modernjetset/km.html (all these pics are new ones from rex)

he is lovely but I keep asking why they are not seen together??? why, why???? I have never see them kissing! Many royals do the same when they where just dating!!!! Why?

I don't understand too. Kate goes on polo when there is William too- everyone knows, that they two are pair. Harry and Chelsy showed, they are so in love..
So, here is mine: WHY?

biboquinhas said:
he is lovely but I keep asking why they are not seen together??? why, why???? I have never see them kissing! Many royals do the same when they where just dating!!!! Why?

it looks like they're just not the type for public displays of affection. from all that we've seen and read they're very private people that want to keep affection for each away from the cameras.

mims111 said:
I don't understand too. Kate goes on polo when there is William too- everyone knows, that they two are pair. Harry and Chelsy showed, they are so in love..
So, here is mine: WHY?

William and Kate probably don't show a lot of affection in public because of the press. If they ever kissed in front of the cameras, it would be splashed across every single tabloid imaginable in England, probably the rest of Europe, and it might even make it in America. It would probably cause even more wedding rumors which they don't really need right now. Unless they break-up in the near future, I think it's a safe guess to say that they show more affection to each other in private, which of course is understandable since cameras are watching their every move.

Here are several more pictures of Kate watching William play polo. (From Bruno Press)

Attachments

• Kate 3.jpg
    Kate 3.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 304
  • Kate 4.jpg
    Kate 4.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 231
  • Kate 5.jpg
    Kate 5.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 300
  • Kate 6.jpg
    Kate 6.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 261
Duchess said:
it looks like they're just not the type for public displays of affection. from all that we've seen and read they're very private people that want to keep affection for each away from the cameras.

That's how I feel about it too. William has always been extremely reserved with his emotions in public. Of course he doesn't care if the cameras capture him laughing and joking around with people, but as for his feelings of love toward Kate, those are only his and Kate's business, and I think he feels very strongly about keeping it that way. Those Bruno Press pics are nice. I like the second one the best. Her dress is lovely.

I Love all those pics something very "Frederik and Mary " about them in a very reserved way :)

ysbel said:
Yet this article says emphatically that Kate is NOT laid back.
Yes, i agree that it was NOT DELIBERATELY SAYING that she was laid back. BUT maybe, if someone try to read between the lines, you may understand that the reason this specific statement was genereated was to DISAGREE with what most people think that SHE WAS LAID BACK.

oh, well, anyway. we may not really be proving she was with just pieces of news articles and pictures. so i'd like to drop further "retaliations" :D regarding this. besides, i think we're not really getting anywhere. we're throwing out speculations at each other that's its getting useless.

Skydragon said:
Sly and cunning I would agree with, intelligent..... that is pushing credulity a bit far.
Think so? Let's agree to disagree on this, because I think she was much more intelligent than most give her credit for.

Skydragon said:
Kate is her own person and with a university education does have intelligence. She also seems to be more interested in William as a person than becoming a princess or gaining the adulation of a very fickle press or public.
You have a point re. Kate seemingly being interested in William for the person he is.
Still, beg to differ on your definition of intelligence, which in my view doesn't require a degree of any sort.

ysbel said:
Someone was guiding her. Richard Kay of the Daily Mail said he and other reporters gave her advice before she was even engaged on how to handle the press.
Wow, didn't know that, that's fascinating! Goes to show that Kate did learn a lesson: don't listen to the press! :p

Heidi P. said:
Her private life, life outside of public events is still very much her private life. Let's hope she becomes famous enough for someone to write a behind-the-scenes tell-all book and then we will know more.
But it might confirm what some of us are speculating..that a behind-the-scenes would bore us to tears! Oh well. At least Kate's dress sense is pretty good, in my opinion. Like the latest 'polo' dress for example, that one with the flowers. Very feminine yet down to earth somehow, nice and summer-y. Thumbs up!

I really think she is beautiful and has handled the pressure from the press very well. I think she would be a great choice for William and I think Daina would approve.

princess olga said:
But it might confirm what some of us are speculating..that a behind-the-scenes would bore us to tears!

Yeah, Kate is perfect for marrying into the royal family for exactly the same reason that she'd be terrible for the media (how to sell Kate: Her True Story? How about Kate: Her Truly Almost-Perfect Existence? :p Teasing again... I'm sure she has her issues to battle, but she seems to be balancing everything pretty nicely.

princess olga said:
Think so? Let's agree to disagree on this, because I think she was much more intelligent than most give her credit for.
You have a point re. Kate seemingly being interested in William for the person he is.
Still, beg to differ on your definition of intelligence, which in my view doesn't require a degree of any sort.

I think there is a major difference between the crafty intelligence exhibited by some and the intelligence of studying hard for a decent degree at a major UK university. Yes there are very intelligent people without a university degree, who through their own effort and hard work have got to where they want to be, who knows how much further they could have got, with less effort if they had the fortitude to get through school or uni.
A dog is intelligent and can learn tricks to earn your adulation, but it is a different type of intelligence. :D

I prove my interpretation of Kate being more intelligent on the basis that she hasn't 'played' to the press or public so far.

CasiraghiTrio said:
Here you guys go all over again with your over-analyizations! :p I am partly teasing you, but there is a note of seriousness here. Do you guys really think that Prince William would have allowed the media "in" on his secret if he didn't have serious intentions toward Kate? And whatever anyone says to the contrary, we only know about "Kate and William" because William allowed it to happen. As far as I've always been able to tell, there is no royal alive who is more clever about his secrets than Prince William. That boy knows what he's doing!;)

I agree with you! I've made this point several times, because it makes the most sense. Prince William is very clever about public affairs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom