The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-30-2006, 02:09 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysbel
But I seriously doubt Kate invited the press to follow her to the dressing room stall when she was trying on clothes.
What in the world? When did this happen? I would be BEYOND furious!

Old 06-30-2006, 02:53 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiyo
What in the world? When did this happen? I would be BEYOND furious!
They didn't exactly follow her to the changing room, they took pictures of her, when she was comming out of the changing room.
Check out these pics (only few of dozens, posted by differnet people, check out older KM threads for all of them).
source - keystone press

Queen Elizabeth: "I cannot lead you into battle, I do not give you laws or administer justice but I can do something else, I can give you my heart and my devotion to these old islands and to all the peoples of our brotherhood of nations." God, Save The Queen!
Old 06-30-2006, 03:11 PM
Aristocracy

Oh! I remember seeing those.

I'm so used to shopping either in malls or big department stores that I forget that they can take pictures directly into boutiques.

(And I still think that red dress looks fab.)
Old 06-30-2006, 03:34 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk1189
Skydragon..I must disagree with a portion of your statement. Diana did court the press in the later years but in the beginning it was the same (as least from what I can see) level of interest that Kate has now.
In the beginning as you say it was the same but, by encouraging the press later on, she changed the general attitude of the media, who forgot that the BRF are not just here and gone celebs.

If Kate is at a 'function' then she will smile and 'pose' for the press, if she is not then she is quite entitled to frown, growl or tell the press to 'naff off'. It is not just the intrusion into what should be her private life, it is the sheer lack of respect shown for this girl, just because she is dating William. :(
Old 06-30-2006, 07:08 PM
Heir Presumptive

The impression I got from watching "Diana - Story of a Princess" and other things I've seen and read was that Diana played a game of cat and mouse with the photographers from the start.

Remember when she was with Charles by the stream while he was fishing, she saw the photographers across the bank and walked away then watched them in her mirror she held out from behind a tree. I always thought that was rather unusual behaviour, and it got the photographers' attention and piqued their curiosity. I've never understood why she did that; that behaviour drew attention to her and provided the basis for a story far more interesting than "and she sat watching Charles fishing, laughing and chatting". Why did she have to hide? She was Charles' guest and he was no doubt the one who had decided where to sit and fish. He should have been the one to initiate any hiding if required.

When the photographers were lurking about outside the kindergarten where she worked as an assistant and the house where she worked as a baby-sitter and they stalked her as she was travelling to and from work and taking her charge out to the park, she would sometimes look at the photographers and wave and sometimes talk to them, but at other times she'd put her head down and walk briskly. She seemed to always be conscious of their presence and didn't seem to behave "normally". I think her former employer at the kindergarten said Diana would volunteer to go out to buy the lunches or milk at the shop when she didn't have to, thereby providing the photographers with more opportunities to photograph her looking at them and running. I think her behaviour, probably unwittingly, attracted the photographers closer to her - 'let's see what we can get her to do today' - and of course they kept coming and eventually got far too close and there was that scene where they crowded around her car and impeded her flight and she got upset and I think there was a warning from BP.

I put it down to youth and naivete. She was too young to handle that attention on her own. She didn't have the maturity to put their attention in perspective or the ability to keep them at bay herself, and the photographers took blatant advantage of her. She needed guidance and I don't think anyone provided it for her.

Kate is much older and more worldly and apparently more self-confident and I don't think she is likely to make the same mistakes. And of course Kate has all the photographic evidence of Diana available to her to learn lessons from the past.
Old 06-30-2006, 09:01 PM
Gentry

that was a very good evaluation you had there about diana and kate, roslyn. :)

it's unfair to compare diana and kate with the way they act when the paparazzis around.

at 19, although too young, diana was already engaged to be married to the 1st-in-line to the throne, an enormous responsiblity we all knew too well. that was an age too young to cope up with sudden changes in one's life. like realizing knowing how to handle the increasing number of paps trailing after you.

of course, kate is expected to handle the situation better. she grew up with strong family ties. she has not much of the enormous responsbility diana had when she was 24. and her entrance to public life seems to be swift and reassuring.
Old 06-30-2006, 11:30 PM
Aristocracy

Coolgirl and Roslyn,
I found your comments very insightful and accurate. Kate is older and the circumstances of her relationship with the Crown Prince are much different than Diana who was already engaged at a very young age. She also did not have anything like the shared University years with her betrothed that Kate and William have had as boyfriend and girlfriend. Although roughly the same age when they dated someone who is first-in-line-to-the-throne (Charles and William), Kate and Diana are truly worlds apart in the circumstances surrounding their relationships.
Old 07-01-2006, 01:27 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laraib
True. :)

But that doesn't mean that one minute you are happily being photographed with Ms. Sharapova and the next minute you want to be left alone.
We do not know that Kate asked to be left alone. Her attorneys complained about press intrusion at the behest of (a) her; (b) William/his advisors/Charles' advisors; (c) her parents; or (d) some combination of all mentioned. That Kate asked to be left alone line is being repeated elsewhere as if it is the grail, and when this is not known as fact at all, and until we know, it is yet another unfair accusation attributed to her. That does offend me, yes.
Old 07-01-2006, 04:56 AM
Courtier

I dont know how she does it. I would never be able to cope with such media attention. I think the main reason i would never date or marry a role is because of this. Hope she doesnt get too stressed over it
Old 07-01-2006, 06:56 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn
The impression I got from watching "Diana - Story of a Princess" and other things I've seen and read was that Diana played a game of cat and mouse with the photographers from the start.

Remember when she was with Charles by the stream while he was fishing, she saw the photographers across the bank and walked away then watched them in her mirror she held out from behind a tree. I always thought that was rather unusual behaviour, and it got the photographers' attention and piqued their curiosity. I've never understood why she did that; that behaviour drew attention to her and provided the basis for a story far more interesting than "and she sat watching Charles fishing, laughing and chatting". Why did she have to hide? She was Charles' guest and he was no doubt the one who had decided where to sit and fish. He should have been the one to initiate any hiding if required.

When the photographers were lurking about outside the kindergarten where she worked as an assistant and the house where she worked as a baby-sitter and they stalked her as she was travelling to and from work and taking her charge out to the park, she would sometimes look at the photographers and wave and sometimes talk to them, but at other times she'd put her head down and walk briskly. She seemed to always be conscious of their presence and didn't seem to behave "normally". I think her former employer at the kindergarten said Diana would volunteer to go out to buy the lunches or milk at the shop when she didn't have to, thereby providing the photographers with more opportunities to photograph her looking at them and running. I think her behaviour, probably unwittingly, attracted the photographers closer to her - 'let's see what we can get her to do today' - and of course they kept coming and eventually got far too close and there was that scene where they crowded around her car and impeded her flight and she got upset and I think there was a warning from BP.

I put it down to youth and naivete. She was too young to handle that attention on her own. She didn't have the maturity to put their attention in perspective or the ability to keep them at bay herself, and the photographers took blatant advantage of her. She needed guidance and I don't think anyone provided it for her.

Kate is much older and more worldly and apparently more self-confident and I don't think she is likely to make the same mistakes. And of course Kate has all the photographic evidence of Diana available to her to learn lessons from the past.
i think you've hit the nail on the head Roslyn. kate has been smart enough not to invite the press in where diana did just that. people always say that if they'd just let the photographers take some photos then they'd be left alone, that doesn't work - we've seen proof of that over and over again. kate is keeping the paparazzi at bay and still being polite. you don't have to court the press to get coverage...they're going to get their photos whether you let them or not.
Old 07-01-2006, 12:32 PM
Gentry

i guess what really confuses most of us about kate's attitude towards media and publicity is that we are seeing her change into somebody who's more of a fun-loving type rather than somebody who is supposed to be pretty laid-black in nature. perhaps, she didn't really changed at all. perhaps, what we are seeing is really her. flaws and all.

i guess it's the media's fault that she was portrayed as somebody who's a perfect princess-in-waiting, sophisticated, stunning, good family background, popular, diligent, chic, laid back, confident and all the other adjective you can make for somebody who's perfect. this maybe is the reason why some of us scrutinize kate in every single mistake she makes so as to prove that we don't really believe that anyone on this planet is perfect.

and i personally think that she can be a worthy princess-in-waiting even without the "perfect" image she was portrayed to have. blunders and all that. because that's really natural. and, in fact, believable.
Old 07-01-2006, 03:37 PM
Serene Highness

New pics of Kate: http://editorial.gettyimages.com/sou...%7c0&p=7&tag=1
Old 07-01-2006, 03:53 PM
Heir Presumptive

Wow she looks so pretty!
Old 07-01-2006, 04:20 PM
Serene Highness

I agree with you. I love her dress. :)
Old 07-01-2006, 04:46 PM
Gentry

she's too far in the picture...
Old 07-01-2006, 04:56 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgirl
i guess what really confuses most of us about kate's attitude towards media and publicity is that we are seeing her change into somebody who's more of a fun-loving type rather than somebody who is supposed to be pretty laid-black in nature. perhaps, she didn't really changed at all. perhaps, what we are seeing is really her. flaws and all.

i guess it's the media's fault that she was portrayed as somebody who's a perfect princess-in-waiting, sophisticated, stunning, good family background, popular, diligent, chic, laid back, confident and all the other adjective you can make for somebody who's perfect. this maybe is the reason why some of us scrutinize kate in every single mistake she makes so as to prove that we don't really believe that anyone on this planet is perfect.

and i personally think that she can be a worthy princess-in-waiting even without the "perfect" image she was portrayed to have. blunders and all that. because that's really natural. and, in fact, believable.
you're so right! it makes her a real person and i think everyone likes that.
Old 07-01-2006, 06:04 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn

Love your thougtful analysis Roslyn, but I beg to differ on a few points. I think that what piqued the press's curiosity regarding Diana in the first place was their realization that this was someone different, someone clever, cunning and intelligent. The indicent with Diana using her mirror to watch those watching her: I have to hand that to her, a 19-year-old at the time. For a young, so-called naive inexperienced person, that's quite the thing to come up with--I for one wouldn't have thought of it! I agree about your thoughts on the cat and mouse game, but all the same I think Diana did amazingly well considering no one was guiding her.

In fact, to go one step further, it has been said multiple times that it was the very fact that Diana managed to have the media, and thus the public, fall in love with her, that put Charles & company on the spot and accellerated Charles's decision to ask her to be his spouse. A marriage made by the media, many commentators have said, and I agree with that. I also agree with those who have speculated that Diana instinctively, intuitively, knew exactly what she was doing, that by courting and playing along with the media in her unique, clever way, she'd win the game ultimately.

I also agree that it came back to haunt her, and ultimately resulted in her way too early demise..
And this very turn of events, from Diana's days as a kindergarten teacher to her being chased to death by the paparazzi, is what the, in my opinion very staid-seeming, Kate has learned her own lessons and drawn her own conclusions from. Hence the more-placid-than-though impression I've so far had of Kate. Which may or may not be accurate, but that's another topic.

Again, I agree with your analysis although I think Diana was more clever and inventive than you give her credit for. And I also am convinced that it was this inventiveness, this display of unique intelligence that so endeared Diana to the paparazzi in those early days. Because they realized that this wasn't merely a beautiful and young 'english rose' who photographed extremely well. No, the media very early on realized they'd discovered a unique star in the making. It's this very quality I think Kate is missing, but she's perhaps deliberately displaying and exaggerating a boring front. She and William have learned what NOT to do from the Diana saga.

The result, in my opinion, is a couple more seemingly boring than the current rulers of Liechtenstein. Which is probably exactly the result they're after to be left alone and live their lives the way they want to, so good for them.
Old 07-01-2006, 06:16 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchess
you're so right! it makes her a real person and i think everyone likes that.
thanks for sharing your opinion with me and backing me up, duchess. :)
Old 07-01-2006, 07:18 PM
Commoner

a few weeks ago all she seemed to do was shop, now all she seems to do is wear pretty dresses to polo matches. i'm sure she can find something more important to do than that!!
Old 07-01-2006, 07:35 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by samgee
a few weeks ago all she seemed to do was shop, now all she seems to do is wear pretty dresses to polo matches. i'm sure she can find something more important to do than that!!
Samgee, nothing's more critical than going to every single polo match her boyfriend is participating in--after all, she needs to keep an eye on him and make sure he doesn't get to flirt with other contenders!!

But seriously, I'm sure she does more important stuff than this, but the thing is, we don't get to see it as not every single waking moment of her life is documented by the paparazzi, thank goodness!

Tags
kate middleton