The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #41  
Old 06-29-2006, 07:23 PM
Duchess's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: xx, Canada
Posts: 1,648
i thought the article was fine...it compared the two but it wasn't unrealistic. as far as the way the press treats her...anything, absolutely anything about her is news at this point. it was the same way with diana when she first came on the scene.
__________________

__________________
Duchess
  #42  
Old 06-29-2006, 09:17 PM
Laraib's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Chicago, United States
Posts: 419
I don't think Kate will have to face the kind of media frenzy as Diana did. I mean, after the death of Diana, many people got over their "royal obssesion" and developed a new one: celebrities. Up to now, there has been very few news stories about Kate Middleton and Prince William. Infact since that PEOPLE magazine cover there has been no head lining news about them at all here in the U.S. So I don't think she will be as tortured by the cameras as Diana was.

I still can't seem to understand how many people dubb Kate as being HOUNDED by the papparazzi. Most pictures we see of her are, what it seem like, taken from a distance, so I don't see how she is being tortured. Being followed by the papparazzi is like leading the life of Angelina Jolie, Britney Spears, Lindsay Lohan, (and just added to the list) Nicloe Kidman etc. But Kate?? I don't see her being HOUNDED by the press.

And quite honestly, if she doesn't like all that lime light, why does she make all these appearances to all these head line making events?? I mean it seems like she is fine with the papparazzi taking pictures of her when she is posing with Maria Sharapova but not alone??

Well anyways, that's opinon. I don't mean to offend anyone.:)
__________________

  #43  
Old 06-29-2006, 10:10 PM
Chiyo's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Chicago, United States
Posts: 194
For me, it's not so much about the papparazzi as it is about the articles. The photographers can only take pictures of what's there. Writers can make up anything they want and people will believe it. All you have to do is look at some other royalty message boards to see it. Most of them are convinced Kate's pure evil because of a few things that have been written.
__________________
  #44  
Old 06-29-2006, 10:38 PM
coolgirl's Avatar
Gentry
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: New York, United States
Posts: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laraib
I don't think Kate will have to face the kind of media frenzy as Diana did.

I still can't seem to understand how many people dubb Kate as being HOUNDED by the papparazzi. Most pictures we see of her are, what it seem like, taken from a distance, so I don't see how she is being tortured. Being followed by the papparazzi is like leading the life of Angelina Jolie, Britney Spears, Lindsay Lohan, (and just added to the list) Nicloe Kidman etc. But Kate?? I don't see her being HOUNDED by the press.
quite true. but she's not a celebrity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laraib
And quite honestly, if she doesn't like all that lime light, why does she make all these appearances to all these head line making events?? I mean it seems like she is fine with the papparazzi taking pictures of her when she is posing with Maria Sharapova but not alone??
i occurred to me the she might have changed her opinion in being out of the limelight.
__________________
  #45  
Old 06-30-2006, 01:34 AM
ysbel's Avatar
Heir Apparent
TRF Author
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: New York, United States
Posts: 5,390
Laraib,

Paparazzi were hounding celebrities way before Diana. The term came from a Fellini movie in the 60s about a photographer Paparazzo who would buzz around celebrities taking candid shots.

Quote:
What's in a Word?The word "paparazzi" is derived from a character in the Fellini film "La Dolce Vita." The character, a photographer named Paparazzo, reminded Fellini of "a buzzing insect, hovering, darting, stinging."

Fellini's inspiration for the character was the famous Italian "street photographer" Tazio Secchiaroli. Fellini consulted Secchiaroli for research while developing the script for his classic film. Secchiaroli became famous as a photographer when he captured candid photos of the former Egyptian King Farouk turning a table over at a restaurant in rage. On the same night, Secchiaroli also snapped photos of actor Anthony Steele in a public spat with actress Anita Ekberg. These photos started a trend in European publications, moving away from posed promotional shots of celebrities and toward surreptitiously captured candid photos.
from How Stuff Works

Compared to an Angela Jolie, Kate isn't being hounded but compared to you and me, she is.

Actresses and singers' jobs are to perform in public. They have to go to grueling auditions and need any publicity thay can get in the beginning to gain more time in front of the camera so casting agents will book them.

Britney Spears' mother pushed her into auditions for the Mickey Mouse Club and Star Search when she was just a child. By the time thay get the type of fame that attracts paparazzi, the've had a lot of experience in front of the camera and with the media .

On the other hand, all Kate did to attract the paparazzi was to date William and unless he's going to start auditions for prospective girlfriends (something I don't recommend ) , the girls he dates are not necessarily going to have experience with or be comfortable in front of the cameras.

That being said, if Kate wants to maintain a relationship with William, she's going to have to gain some self-confidence in front of the cameras, and going to a celebrity event when you're not the only one being photographed is a bit easier.
__________________
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
  #46  
Old 06-30-2006, 06:05 AM
Skydragon's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: London and Highlands, United Kingdom
Posts: 10,943
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laraib
So I don't think she will be as tortured by the cameras as Diana was.
And quite honestly, if she doesn't like all that lime light, why does she make all these appearances to all these head line making events??
Diana IMO courted the press, which makes a big difference and has led in some way to the belief that it is ok to treat the British royals as mere celebrities, who within one or two years normally fade into insignificance.

Many people, including Kate, go to headline making events and don't mind being photographed at these events but, is it a headline making event trying on a dress or two, going shopping, catching the bus, watching your boyfriend playing polo (or football)? No... and that is why I believe people are saying she is being hounded.
__________________
  #47  
Old 06-30-2006, 08:57 AM
Duchess's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: xx, Canada
Posts: 1,648
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysbel
Laraib,


That being said, if Kate wants to maintain a relationship with William, she's going to have to gain some self-confidence in front of the cameras, and going to a celebrity event when you're not the only one being photographed is a bit easier.
i'd have to disagree with you on one thing here. anyone william marries will have to be at least somewhat comfortable "performing" in in front of the cameras as that will be the biggest part of their job and we're seeing a degree of comfort with kate.
__________________
Duchess
  #48  
Old 06-30-2006, 10:24 AM
Zonk's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Somewhere in, United States
Posts: 10,160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon
Diana IMO courted the press, which makes a big difference and has led in some way to the belief that it is ok to treat the British royals as mere celebrities, who within one or two years normally fade into insignificance.

Many people, including Kate, go to headline making events and don't mind being photographed at these events but, is it a headline making event trying on a dress or two, going shopping, catching the bus, watching your boyfriend playing polo (or football)? No... and that is why I believe people are saying she is being hounded.
Skydragon..I must disagree with a portion of your statement. Diana did court the press in the later years but in the beginning it was the same (as least from what I can see) level of interest that Kate has now. Just as Charle's other ex girlfriends had to deal with the media. Except that I would say that now its a lot more agressive. If we have learned anything from Diana (and several members have mentioned it as well) is that you don't invite the press in your life cause then its hard to push them out.

I think Kate is doing an excellent job with the press. She doesn't speak, she could get upset with them trailing after her when she goes on with the semi public aspect of her life (ATM, shopping, etc.) and when she is at a public event (parties, polo, etc.) she knows that they are there and acts appropriately. If she does not marry William, and we end up with another thread about Lady Isabella Howard (just making up a name), I hope she acts the same way.
__________________
  #49  
Old 06-30-2006, 10:32 AM
ysbel's Avatar
Heir Apparent
TRF Author
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: New York, United States
Posts: 5,390
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchess
i'd have to disagree with you on one thing here. anyone william marries will have to be at least somewhat comfortable "performing" in in front of the cameras as that will be the biggest part of their job and we're seeing a degree of comfort with kate.
Maybe we're talking about different meanings of 'perform' but I don't necessarily think royals need to 'perform' in front of the camera. They're public figures and they need to cultivate a public image but it needs to be compatible with both their characters and the institution of the monarchy.

I may be in the minority but I don't think royals need to be highly charismatic or popular to be successful; they simply need to project an image that people feel comfortable with representing them.

Again, we may be talking about different types of performing.
__________________
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
  #50  
Old 06-30-2006, 10:39 AM
ysbel's Avatar
Heir Apparent
TRF Author
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: New York, United States
Posts: 5,390
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk1189
Skydragon..I must disagree with a portion of your statement. Diana did court the press in the later years but in the beginning it was the same (as least from what I can see) level of interest that Kate has now. Just as Charle's other ex girlfriends had to deal with the media. Except that I would say that now its a lot more agressive. If we have learned anything from Diana (and several members have mentioned it as well) is that you don't invite the press in your life cause then its hard to push them out.

I think Kate is doing an excellent job with the press. She doesn't speak, she could get upset with them trailing after her when she goes on with the semi public aspect of her life (ATM, shopping, etc.) and when she is at a public event (parties, polo, etc.) she knows that they are there and acts appropriately. If she does not marry William, and we end up with another thread about Lady Isabella Howard (just making up a name), I hope she acts the same way.
Lady Isabella Howard I wonder if the Howards are still around, they were Dukes of Norfolk in Henry VIIIs time.

You bring up a good point Zonk. Before Diana, the press went crazy for one of Charles' girlfriends, Lady Jane Wellesley, and pestered her and her father the Duke of Wellington for almost 2 years. She got royally sick of it and while she and Charles remained personal friends, their romantic relationship ended. I believe the experience with Lady Jane was one of the reasons the Royal Family rushed the engagement between Diana and Charles so that Diana would not have to fend for herself with the press for a year or more.

In hindsight, it was a mistake, but now with the press attention surrounding Kate Middleton, I do understand why they did it.
__________________
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
  #51  
Old 06-30-2006, 11:20 AM
Warren's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 15,276
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysbel
Lady Isabella Howard I wonder if the Howards are still around, they were Dukes of Norfolk in Henry VIIIs time.
...and they are still Dukes of Norfolk today (the 18th Duke), the Premier Duke and Earl of England, created 1483.
__________________
Seeking information? Check out the extensive Royal A-Z
  #52  
Old 06-30-2006, 11:28 AM
Zonk's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Somewhere in, United States
Posts: 10,160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren
...and they are still Dukes of Norfolk today (the 18th Duke), the Premier Duke and Earl of England, created 1483.
Those Howards......what a family history..they will were highly entertaining during the Tudor era. In good and bad ways

Okay..back to topic. Do you think we will ever see any pics of Kate and Chelsy together?
__________________
  #53  
Old 06-30-2006, 11:59 AM
karla64's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Lynnwood, United States
Posts: 896
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk1189
Those Howards......what a family history..they will were highly entertaining during the Tudor era. In good and bad ways

Okay..back to topic. Do you think we will ever see any pics of Kate and Chelsy together?
Well, Who knows... maybe not..but someday we will see kate and chelsy together.. I am not sure chelsy still together of harry....Will she????
__________________
  #54  
Old 06-30-2006, 12:05 PM
ysbel's Avatar
Heir Apparent
TRF Author
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: New York, United States
Posts: 5,390
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk1189
Those Howards......what a family history..they will were highly entertaining during the Tudor era. In good and bad ways

Okay..back to topic. Do you think we will ever see any pics of Kate and Chelsy together?
When they weren't getting their heads chopped off!

I haven't seen pics of Wills and Harry together other than royal events and some Sandhurst celebrations. I think if the brothers socialize together, then maybe we'll see pics of their girlfriends together but if Wills and Harry lead separate social lives, there won't be much opportunity to see Kate and Chelsy together.
__________________
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
  #55  
Old 06-30-2006, 12:22 PM
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: ***, United States
Posts: 16,897
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysbel
Lady Isabella Howard I wonder if the Howards are still around, they were Dukes of Norfolk in Henry VIIIs time.
The current Duke of Norfolk has the surname Fitzalan-Howard, so they're still around but have become double-barrelled. The Duke of Norfolk is still the hereditary Earl Marshal and the premier Duke in the land; the family is Catholic, which means that I seriously doubt William will be involved with any of them.
__________________
  #56  
Old 06-30-2006, 12:32 PM
Laraib's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Chicago, United States
Posts: 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysbel
That being said, if Kate wants to maintain a relationship with William, she's going to have to gain some self-confidence in front of the cameras, and going to a celebrity event when you're not the only one being photographed is a bit easier.
True. :)

But that doesn't mean that one minute you are happily being photographed with Ms. Sharapova and the next minute you want to be left alone. If she is posing with the celebrities, then she is going to be treated like a celebrity. I think Kate is adjusting well because she has been in this situation now for more than 4 years. She knows that people are starting to take their relationship seriously. Any ways, hope I didn't offend anyone.:)
  #57  
Old 06-30-2006, 12:38 PM
Laraib's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Chicago, United States
Posts: 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon
Many people, including Kate, go to headline making events and don't mind being photographed at these events but, is it a headline making event trying on a dress or two, going shopping, catching the bus, watching your boyfriend playing polo (or football)? No... and that is why I believe people are saying she is being hounded.
I think when you attract the media towards you they are not just attracted towards, lets say, Kate Middleton. They are attracted towards Kate Middleton's life style as well. If Kate Middleton is skiing one minute with Prince Charles and sons, they want to know what else does she like to do. If she is hanging out with Prince William's friends, they want to know who else does she know. If she is making public appearances at designer shops, likewise they want to know who is she wearing. The press is not going to talk about Prince William's girlfriend Kate Middleton after 4 years of relationship, ski trips apperances etc. They are now going to talk about her as Kate Middleton. :)
  #58  
Old 06-30-2006, 01:21 PM
ysbel's Avatar
Heir Apparent
TRF Author
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: New York, United States
Posts: 5,390
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laraib
True. :)

But that doesn't mean that one minute you are happily being photographed with Ms. Sharapova and the next minute you want to be left alone.
I think it's a perfectly normal reaction to smile happily for the cameras at a planned media event and then resist getting photographed taking money at an ATM or undressing in a clothes shop while trying on clothes. . At an event where the press have been invited, its expected to be photographed. Why else would the event organizer invite the press if they're not going to allow photographs? But I seriously doubt Kate invited the press to follow her to the dressing room stall when she was trying on clothes.

I think most people would be content to be photographed in some places and situations, just not everywhere. I don't think anyone no matter how publicity-hungry they are would like pictures of them in a dressing room stall displayed on all the front covers of the tabloids.
__________________
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
  #59  
Old 06-30-2006, 01:23 PM
ysbel's Avatar
Heir Apparent
TRF Author
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: New York, United States
Posts: 5,390
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth
The current Duke of Norfolk has the surname Fitzalan-Howard, so they're still around but have become double-barrelled. The Duke of Norfolk is still the hereditary Earl Marshal and the premier Duke in the land; the family is Catholic, which means that I seriously doubt William will be involved with any of them.
Yes, I wonder where the Fitzalan came from. The name just seemed to appear from father to son one day.
__________________
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
  #60  
Old 06-30-2006, 01:51 PM
Duchess's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: xx, Canada
Posts: 1,648
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysbel
Maybe we're talking about different meanings of 'perform' but I don't necessarily think royals need to 'perform' in front of the camera. They're public figures and they need to cultivate a public image but it needs to be compatible with both their characters and the institution of the monarchy.

I may be in the minority but I don't think royals need to be highly charismatic or popular to be successful; they simply need to project an image that people feel comfortable with representing them.

Again, we may be talking about different types of performing.
charisma is a rare and wonderful gift to have. i don't think many of the royals have it though. they are however, popular simply by virtue of who they are.
__________________

__________________
Duchess
Closed Thread

Tags
kate middleton


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip current events 12: July - October 2006 Elspeth Current Events Archive 199 10-23-2006 01:50 PM
Swedish Royal Family, Current Events Part 3: December 2005 - October 2006 GrandDuchess Current Events Archive 280 10-11-2006 04:16 PM
Charles and Camilla current events 13: July-September 2006 Warren Current Events Archive 201 09-11-2006 12:00 PM
Charles and Camilla current events 11: April 2006-June 2006 Warren Current Events Archive 202 06-26-2006 01:27 AM
Prince Harry current events 8: March-April 2006 Elspeth Current Events Archive 240 04-27-2006 01:09 PM




Additional Links
Popular Tags
birth charlene chris o'neill crown prince frederik crown prince haakon crown princess letizia crown princess mary crown princess mette-marit crown princess victoria current events duchess of cambridge style fashion grand duchess maria teresa grand duke henri hohenzollern infanta cristina infanta elena infanta leonor infanta sofia jordan king abdullah ii king carl xvi gustav king felipe king felipe vi king harald king juan carlos king philippe king willem-alexander luxembourg ottoman pom prince albert prince albert ii prince carl philip prince constantijn prince felipe prince floris prince laurent prince maurits prince pieter-christiaan princess princess alexia (2005 -) princess anita princess ariane princess beatrix princess catharina-amalia princess charlene princess claire princess elisabeth princess laurentien princess letizia princess mabel princess madeleine princess margriet princess marie princess mary princess of asturias queen letizia queen mathilde queen maxima queen paola queen rania queen silvia queen sofia royal russia spain state visit wedding william


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

RV & Travel Trailer Communities

Our RV & Travel Trailer sites encompasses virtually all types of Recreational Vehicles, from brand-specific to general RV communities.

» More about our RV Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002-2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:47 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014
Jelsoft Enterprises

Royal News Delivered to your Email!

You can get the latest Royal News right in your inbox.

unsusbcribe at anytime with one click

Close [X]