Kate Middleton Current Events 10: June-July 2006

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Kate is Kate, an intelligent and popular girl with no extra baggage. The only thing they have in common is William. For goodness sake, the press should leave her alone!

Agreed! Why inject all kinds of Oedipal grossness into a relationship that seems healthy?

Actually the Daily Mail article is right on target in places for a change and quite astutely noted some differences between the two:

She also has a quiet poise, a solidity which was absent in Diana. Kate was brought up in a secure, two-parent, upper-middle-class, Home Counties family. She has been used to material wealth and emotional support. Lady Diana, in contrast, was an aristocrat from a broken family.

Of course they spoiled the end of the article when they quoted some people that said Kate didn't have star quality but she would go on to become more glamorous, like a contemporary Diana. ;)

Oh please! With William's attitude towards the press, do they really think he is going to fall for a charismatic press-friendly personality?

As usual, the headline and the last paragraphs take away from a perfectly good and interesting article.

You caught me. I skimmed it. ;)

I appreciated this part:
Kate’s style is instantly recognisable to public school-educated women of her generation. An 18-year-old girl I spoke to congratulated Kate on ‘not being tarty. She is really fit, she just isn’t hip. It isn’t a London look, it is typical of Marlborough really: jeans, little cardigans and long shiny hair." The unfussy look - good jeans, great genes - suits the environment. If Kate stays with William, she will have to survive many rugby touchlines and fast ski slopes. In the early years, Diana experimented with costumes rather than outfits - the tartan, the sailor suit, the headmistress and the vamp.

It rings true to me.

Isabella said:
I wonder, too. I mean, when you think about it, we really know very little about her. It's easy to make assumptions about what she does and the kind of person she is, but we really only see a very small slice of her life.

i wonder if she's done any interviews?
she'll probably do them if her and Prince William will be engaged but maybe the paparazzi will sort've.. not be so aggresive if we knew more about her? part of what's driving the paparazzi to stalk her constantly is OUR curiousity. WE wonder what she's doing, the lifestyle she's living, and etc so the paparazzi feed off of that.

maybe if we knew more about her, we wouldn't have to assume so much. it takes the guess work out. she could've at least explained herself when she did the "V" sign at the wimbledon came.

Not everybody has a driving curiosity to know what Kate does all the time. I won't really be interested unless they get engaged. I imagine if that happens then we will see some interviews. But for now, I'm happy that Wills has found someone that he cares a lot about.

Skydragon said:
Kate is Kate, an intelligent and popular girl with no extra baggage. The only thing they have in common is William. For goodness sake, the press should leave her alone!

You know, I always thought the press always complimented her and praised her, saying that she's fit to be queen, stunning, has style, and etc. They constantly admire her fashion sense, her figure, and etc! This is rare considering the press isn't exactly known for making people look GOOD but I always wondered why they made her sound so perfect? I'm not saying she isn't but the paparazzi are known to be vicious, not offering praise to anyone.

gj123 said:
You know, I always thought the press always complimented her and praised her, saying that she's fit to be queen, stunning, has style, and etc. They constantly admire her fashion sense, her figure, and etc! This is rare considering the press isn't exactly known for making people look GOOD but I always wondered why they made her sound so perfect? I'm not saying she isn't but the paparazzi are known to be vicious, not offering praise to anyone.
They have been very kind to her.

A little too kind to her. Usually when they're that nice to someone it means they're setting them up for a fall.

(And yes, my tinfoil hat was designed by Philip Treacy!)

gj123 said:

The papparazzi are the cameramen and they take pictures of what they think the tabloids will buy.

The tabloids don't write articles to inform people; they make up attention-grabbing headlines with provocative photos to stir up a lot of emotion because emotion sells papers. In the tabloid world, there is no such thing as a just OK person; just OK people don't sell papers. The papers exaggerate and crown celebrities either saints or devils to give their readers something to react to.

It doesn't matter if they make a person a saint or a devil as long as the papers fly off the shelf and generating an emotional response from your readers is the easiest way to do that.

I imagine they'll keep up with the princess-perfect Kate stories as long as the public is eager to buy them. That could be a short or long time. Diana was the tabloid darling for an incredibly long time even after details about her troubled marriage went public. For a very long time, the tabloid-buying public didn't want to read stories about Diana not being an angel so the tabloids were for the most part very favorable to her; when the public mood changed, the tabloids changed too.

When it comes to the tabloid press, its all about going for the jugular and making a lot of money.

i thought the article was fine...it compared the two but it wasn't unrealistic. as far as the way the press treats her...anything, absolutely anything about her is news at this point. it was the same way with diana when she first came on the scene.

I don't think Kate will have to face the kind of media frenzy as Diana did. I mean, after the death of Diana, many people got over their "royal obssesion" and developed a new one: celebrities. Up to now, there has been very few news stories about Kate Middleton and Prince William. Infact since that PEOPLE magazine cover there has been no head lining news about them at all here in the U.S. So I don't think she will be as tortured by the cameras as Diana was.

I still can't seem to understand how many people dubb Kate as being HOUNDED by the papparazzi. Most pictures we see of her are, what it seem like, taken from a distance, so I don't see how she is being tortured. Being followed by the papparazzi is like leading the life of Angelina Jolie, Britney Spears, Lindsay Lohan, (and just added to the list) Nicloe Kidman etc. But Kate?? I don't see her being HOUNDED by the press.

And quite honestly, if she doesn't like all that lime light, why does she make all these appearances to all these head line making events?? I mean it seems like she is fine with the papparazzi taking pictures of her when she is posing with Maria Sharapova but not alone??

Well anyways, that's opinon. I don't mean to offend anyone.:)

For me, it's not so much about the papparazzi as it is about the articles. The photographers can only take pictures of what's there. Writers can make up anything they want and people will believe it. All you have to do is look at some other royalty message boards to see it. Most of them are convinced Kate's pure evil because of a few things that have been written.

Laraib said:
I don't think Kate will have to face the kind of media frenzy as Diana did.

I still can't seem to understand how many people dubb Kate as being HOUNDED by the papparazzi. Most pictures we see of her are, what it seem like, taken from a distance, so I don't see how she is being tortured. Being followed by the papparazzi is like leading the life of Angelina Jolie, Britney Spears, Lindsay Lohan, (and just added to the list) Nicloe Kidman etc. But Kate?? I don't see her being HOUNDED by the press.
quite true. but she's not a celebrity.

Laraib said:
And quite honestly, if she doesn't like all that lime light, why does she make all these appearances to all these head line making events?? I mean it seems like she is fine with the papparazzi taking pictures of her when she is posing with Maria Sharapova but not alone??
i occurred to me the she might have changed her opinion in being out of the limelight.

Last edited:
Laraib,

Paparazzi were hounding celebrities way before Diana. The term came from a Fellini movie in the 60s about a photographer Paparazzo who would buzz around celebrities taking candid shots.

[SIZE=+1]What's in a Word?[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]The word "paparazzi" is derived from a character in the Fellini film "La Dolce Vita." The character, a photographer named Paparazzo, reminded Fellini of "a buzzing insect, hovering, darting, stinging."

Fellini's inspiration for the character was the famous Italian "street photographer" Tazio Secchiaroli. Fellini consulted Secchiaroli for research while developing the script for his classic film. Secchiaroli became famous as a photographer when he captured candid photos of the former Egyptian King Farouk turning a table over at a restaurant in rage. On the same night, Secchiaroli also snapped photos of actor Anthony Steele in a public spat with actress Anita Ekberg. These photos started a trend in European publications, moving away from posed promotional shots of celebrities and toward surreptitiously captured candid photos. [/SIZE]

from How Stuff Works

Compared to an Angela Jolie, Kate isn't being hounded but compared to you and me, she is.

Actresses and singers' jobs are to perform in public. They have to go to grueling auditions and need any publicity thay can get in the beginning to gain more time in front of the camera so casting agents will book them.

Britney Spears' mother pushed her into auditions for the Mickey Mouse Club and Star Search when she was just a child. By the time thay get the type of fame that attracts paparazzi, the've had a lot of experience in front of the camera and with the media .

On the other hand, all Kate did to attract the paparazzi was to date William and unless he's going to start auditions for prospective girlfriends (something I don't recommend ;) ) , the girls he dates are not necessarily going to have experience with or be comfortable in front of the cameras.

That being said, if Kate wants to maintain a relationship with William, she's going to have to gain some self-confidence in front of the cameras, and going to a celebrity event when you're not the only one being photographed is a bit easier.

Laraib said:
So I don't think she will be as tortured by the cameras as Diana was.
And quite honestly, if she doesn't like all that lime light, why does she make all these appearances to all these head line making events??

Diana IMO courted the press, which makes a big difference and has led in some way to the belief that it is ok to treat the British royals as mere celebrities, who within one or two years normally fade into insignificance.

Many people, including Kate, go to headline making events and don't mind being photographed at these events but, is it a headline making event trying on a dress or two, going shopping, catching the bus, watching your boyfriend playing polo (or football)? No... and that is why I believe people are saying she is being hounded.

ysbel said:
Laraib,

That being said, if Kate wants to maintain a relationship with William, she's going to have to gain some self-confidence in front of the cameras, and going to a celebrity event when you're not the only one being photographed is a bit easier.

i'd have to disagree with you on one thing here. anyone william marries will have to be at least somewhat comfortable "performing" in in front of the cameras as that will be the biggest part of their job and we're seeing a degree of comfort with kate.

Skydragon said:
Diana IMO courted the press, which makes a big difference and has led in some way to the belief that it is ok to treat the British royals as mere celebrities, who within one or two years normally fade into insignificance.

Many people, including Kate, go to headline making events and don't mind being photographed at these events but, is it a headline making event trying on a dress or two, going shopping, catching the bus, watching your boyfriend playing polo (or football)? No... and that is why I believe people are saying she is being hounded.

Skydragon..I must disagree with a portion of your statement. Diana did court the press in the later years but in the beginning it was the same (as least from what I can see) level of interest that Kate has now. Just as Charle's other ex girlfriends had to deal with the media. Except that I would say that now its a lot more agressive. If we have learned anything from Diana (and several members have mentioned it as well) is that you don't invite the press in your life cause then its hard to push them out.

I think Kate is doing an excellent job with the press. She doesn't speak, she could get upset with them trailing after her when she goes on with the semi public aspect of her life (ATM, shopping, etc.) and when she is at a public event (parties, polo, etc.) she knows that they are there and acts appropriately. If she does not marry William, and we end up with another thread about Lady Isabella Howard (just making up a name), I hope she acts the same way.

Duchess said:
i'd have to disagree with you on one thing here. anyone william marries will have to be at least somewhat comfortable "performing" in in front of the cameras as that will be the biggest part of their job and we're seeing a degree of comfort with kate.

Maybe we're talking about different meanings of 'perform' but I don't necessarily think royals need to 'perform' in front of the camera. They're public figures and they need to cultivate a public image but it needs to be compatible with both their characters and the institution of the monarchy.

I may be in the minority but I don't think royals need to be highly charismatic or popular to be successful; they simply need to project an image that people feel comfortable with representing them.

Again, we may be talking about different types of performing.

Zonk1189 said:
Skydragon..I must disagree with a portion of your statement. Diana did court the press in the later years but in the beginning it was the same (as least from what I can see) level of interest that Kate has now. Just as Charle's other ex girlfriends had to deal with the media. Except that I would say that now its a lot more agressive. If we have learned anything from Diana (and several members have mentioned it as well) is that you don't invite the press in your life cause then its hard to push them out.

I think Kate is doing an excellent job with the press. She doesn't speak, she could get upset with them trailing after her when she goes on with the semi public aspect of her life (ATM, shopping, etc.) and when she is at a public event (parties, polo, etc.) she knows that they are there and acts appropriately. If she does not marry William, and we end up with another thread about Lady Isabella Howard (just making up a name), I hope she acts the same way.

Lady Isabella Howard :D I wonder if the Howards are still around, they were Dukes of Norfolk in Henry VIIIs time. :D

You bring up a good point Zonk. Before Diana, the press went crazy for one of Charles' girlfriends, Lady Jane Wellesley, and pestered her and her father the Duke of Wellington for almost 2 years. She got royally sick of it and while she and Charles remained personal friends, their romantic relationship ended. I believe the experience with Lady Jane was one of the reasons the Royal Family rushed the engagement between Diana and Charles so that Diana would not have to fend for herself with the press for a year or more.

In hindsight, it was a mistake, but now with the press attention surrounding Kate Middleton, I do understand why they did it.

ysbel said:
Lady Isabella Howard :D I wonder if the Howards are still around, they were Dukes of Norfolk in Henry VIIIs time.
...and they are still Dukes of Norfolk today (the 18th Duke), the Premier Duke and Earl of England, created 1483.

Warren said:
...and they are still Dukes of Norfolk today (the 18th Duke), the Premier Duke and Earl of England, created 1483.

Those Howards......what a family history..they will were highly entertaining during the Tudor era. In good and bad ways ;)

Okay..back to topic. Do you think we will ever see any pics of Kate and Chelsy together?

Zonk1189 said:
Those Howards......what a family history..they will were highly entertaining during the Tudor era. In good and bad ways ;)

Okay..back to topic. Do you think we will ever see any pics of Kate and Chelsy together?

Well, Who knows... maybe not..but someday we will see kate and chelsy together.. I am not sure chelsy still together of harry....Will she????

Zonk1189 said:

When they weren't getting their heads chopped off!

I haven't seen pics of Wills and Harry together other than royal events and some Sandhurst celebrations. I think if the brothers socialize together, then maybe we'll see pics of their girlfriends together but if Wills and Harry lead separate social lives, there won't be much opportunity to see Kate and Chelsy together.

ysbel said:
Lady Isabella Howard :D I wonder if the Howards are still around, they were Dukes of Norfolk in Henry VIIIs time. :D

The current Duke of Norfolk has the surname Fitzalan-Howard, so they're still around but have become double-barrelled. The Duke of Norfolk is still the hereditary Earl Marshal and the premier Duke in the land; the family is Catholic, which means that I seriously doubt William will be involved with any of them.

ysbel said:

True.;) :)

But that doesn't mean that one minute you are happily being photographed with Ms. Sharapova and the next minute you want to be left alone. If she is posing with the celebrities, then she is going to be treated like a celebrity. I think Kate is adjusting well because she has been in this situation now for more than 4 years. She knows that people are starting to take their relationship seriously. Any ways, hope I didn't offend anyone.:)

Skydragon said:

I think when you attract the media towards you they are not just attracted towards, lets say, Kate Middleton. They are attracted towards Kate Middleton's life style as well. If Kate Middleton is skiing one minute with Prince Charles and sons, they want to know what else does she like to do. If she is hanging out with Prince William's friends, they want to know who else does she know. If she is making public appearances at designer shops, likewise they want to know who is she wearing. The press is not going to talk about Prince William's girlfriend Kate Middleton after 4 years of relationship, ski trips apperances etc. They are now going to talk about her as Kate Middleton. :)

Laraib said:
True.;) :)

But that doesn't mean that one minute you are happily being photographed with Ms. Sharapova and the next minute you want to be left alone.

I think it's a perfectly normal reaction to smile happily for the cameras at a planned media event and then resist getting photographed taking money at an ATM or undressing in a clothes shop while trying on clothes. . At an event where the press have been invited, its expected to be photographed. Why else would the event organizer invite the press if they're not going to allow photographs? But I seriously doubt Kate invited the press to follow her to the dressing room stall when she was trying on clothes. ;)

I think most people would be content to be photographed in some places and situations, just not everywhere. I don't think anyone no matter how publicity-hungry they are would like pictures of them in a dressing room stall displayed on all the front covers of the tabloids.

Elspeth said:
The current Duke of Norfolk has the surname Fitzalan-Howard, so they're still around but have become double-barrelled. The Duke of Norfolk is still the hereditary Earl Marshal and the premier Duke in the land; the family is Catholic, which means that I seriously doubt William will be involved with any of them.

Yes, I wonder where the Fitzalan came from. The name just seemed to appear from father to son one day.

ysbel said:
Maybe we're talking about different meanings of 'perform' but I don't necessarily think royals need to 'perform' in front of the camera. They're public figures and they need to cultivate a public image but it needs to be compatible with both their characters and the institution of the monarchy.

I may be in the minority but I don't think royals need to be highly charismatic or popular to be successful; they simply need to project an image that people feel comfortable with representing them.

Again, we may be talking about different types of performing.

charisma is a rare and wonderful gift to have. i don't think many of the royals have it though. they are however, popular simply by virtue of who they are.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom