General News for the Duke of Cambridge 1: April 2012-March 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sexagenarian Princess Anne is neither Prince of Wales, monarch nor consort and is several notches below her nephew in the line of succession and her numbers far exceeded her nephew's as well.

Admittedly I am not a William fangirl but when I lurk on other royal related web pages I shake my head at some of the negative comments made about William and his wife, nevertheless I think that he earned the work shy label, I'm not stating that it should be a permanent label and also note that I stated that William has done an impressive amount of royal work in the past few months.

I am more impressed that William has done 120 engagement thus far in 2015 than the 140 he did in 2014 because this year he is balancing his royal work with his EAAA job.

She's the Princess Royal and has been doing this for decades. Harry is also much closer to the throne than Anne and does considerably less royal work

William retired from the RAF in 2013 after almost 8 years service. You and I obviously have different definitions of work shy.

William's future subjects are happy with him and given you can't please everyone I think he's doing a brilliant job

When I look at photos of William as he goes about doing his royal engagements and read of how he interacts with the people, I have to think that, for the most part, he's enjoying what he is doing. He has a happy balance now of home and family, a rewarding career that means something to him and is getting more and more comfortable with the royal side of his life which will remain with him for the rest of his life and only increase in responsibility.

I think also, perhaps, those sketchy times that the public has observed most likely have paid off in buckets. HM very well could have commanded William into full time royal duties and dismissed William's other interests but wisely allowed William to choose his own path after a period of being not sure of which fork in the road to go on, left him to his own devices to choose for himself. He has certainly found his own balance and is one happy husband, dad, public servant and prince. Priceless.
I agree especially the bolded part. My inkling is that William may have found his groove... time will tell.

How being a search and rescue pilot is consider work shy is being me. That job is more important imo than the ribbon cutting that some royals often do.
When people talk about William being work shy b/c he's a search and rescue pilot, I think it insulting to all emergency personnel who works very stressful jobs

I don't think that people want to "insult" the personell. It applies to William, as he will be a King one day. I think it is just a bit of skepticism over the fact he insists on working as an "ordinary" commoner... That's all. On a personal note, I think it is a improving step, as little as it may be though, that he seems now to have found a right balance between a job and his royal duties. I only hope he really knows that once he ascends the throne, or even when he is heir to the throne,he won't be able to compromise forever.

But lets think about it. The British monarchy is one of the most popular in the world, William is one of it's most popular members. Public opinion wants him working as both an air ambulance pilot and performing royal duties.

Now if I were William and given he isn't going to please everyone, I'd keep on doing what I'm doing. His critics will always be critics but thankfully they're in the minority.

But lets think about it. The British monarchy is one of the most popular in the world, William is one of it's most popular members. Public opinion wants him working as both an air ambulance pilot and performing royal duties.

Now if I were William and given he isn't going to please everyone, I'd keep on doing what I'm doing. His critics will always be critics but thankfully they're in the minority.

Yes, but that doesn't mean that who think differently can't convey their opinions. After all, it is only an opinion. And William will always do as he pleases, not matter what everyone think of him. I only think that he can0t keep doing this forever and I am perplexed about his decision, but that's all. I just shared my view.

The Queen is already at an advanced age, Prince Charles also no longer go again. Before long most royal duties will fall on William, Harry and Catherine, and they have to prepare for it. William has had more royal duties in recent times. He knows he can not work forever in the helicopter ambulance.

Actually, in the long run, I see William's work with EAAA as a very positive thing in his relationship with people when time passes and he becomes The Prince of Wales (perhaps) and later on, King. Most people that follow the British Royal Family are very familiar with the Queen's war effort during WWII and the "ordinary" tasks she performed and she most certainly didn't stick to a princess mode 100%.

Over time, which do you think the public would embrace more? A king who, for his entire life, has worked for the Firm and doing charity work and seen as a privileged prince or a king that gave of his time and energies while he could to try and make a difference in people's lives when they needed it?

Makes me wonder too just how many children growing up see William and want to be an air ambulance pilot when they grow up or go into emergency services?

Just to add too that this in no way reflects on the current Prince of Wales as he has done a tremendous job creating his own niche in life and has helped thousands of people through his Prince's Trust and other endeavors.

How being a search and rescue pilot is consider work shy is being me. That job is more important imo than the ribbon cutting that some royals often do.
When people talk about William being work shy b/c he's a search and rescue pilot, I think it insulting to all emergency personnel who works very stressful jobs

I so agree with you comment about it being very rude and insulting to call someone who works in that field, emergencies, hospitals, nurses, doctors and etc work shy all because they hold a title. PW could just sit back and do nothing for the rest of his life except cut ribbons to make some happy, he has become a strong young man who understands the need to balance his life with what makes him who he is today. I hope to see him continue with the job as a helicopter pilot for some years yet so that he can not just have time to watch and raise his children but so that he is more out there in the eyes of the public who will see him working not just as a royal but as a decent, caring, and compassionate human being. I so applaud this young man for how he has grown and handled his life!:)

Actually, in the long run, I see William's work with EAAA as a very positive thing in his relationship with people when time passes and he becomes The Prince of Wales (perhaps) and later on, King. Most people that follow the British Royal Family are very familiar with the Queen's war effort during WWII and the "ordinary" tasks she performed and she most certainly didn't stick to a princess mode 100%.

Over time, which do you think the public would embrace more? A king who, for his entire life, has worked for the Firm and doing charity work and seen as a privileged prince or a king that gave of his time and energies while he could to try and make a difference in people's lives when they needed it?

Makes me wonder too just how many children growing up see William and want to be an air ambulance pilot when they grow up or go into emergency services?

Just to add too that this in no way reflects on the current Prince of Wales as he has done a tremendous job creating his own niche in life and has helped thousands of people through his Prince's Trust and other endeavors.

Completely agree. I think having a "commoner" career, if only for a few years, will only benefit William as he grows in his royal role. I don't understand people who continue to diss, for lack of a better word, his work. It is a very important job and could contribute to William in understanding and caring about his subjects.

PRINCE William has returned to work for the air ambulance after a festive season packed with Royal appointments.

But his first day back at the office offered a more exhilarating shift than most can expect as he flew the East Anglian Air Ambulance helicopter on emergency missions.

The Duke was spotted filling up the helicopter with fuel yesterday afternoon, after starting his day shift at 7am.

The 33-year-old was also spotted inspecting the helicopter and chatting to his colleagues as he returned from a mission to Cambridge International Airport.

He then headed into the new £250,000 two-storey base, which was purpose built to provide more home comforts than the previous staff quarters - a small room at the back of the main airport building.
Read more: Back at the office: Prince William returns to life-saving work with air ambulance crew | UK | News | Daily Express

A Hertfordshire school had an unexpected visitor for lunch today who caused a bit of a stir.

Prince William dropped in as he was on a job in Stevenage with his East Anglian Air Ambulance helicopter.

He went into the canteen at the John Henry Newman School in the town while on a break from transporting doctors from nearby Lister Hospital.
BBC Local Live: Beds, Herts & Bucks on Wednesday, 13 January 2016. - BBC News

Last edited:
Prince William “really charming” according to St Albans pupils after surprise lunch - Worth a read. Lovely quotes from people who met him

Prince William, who is a pilot with the East Anglian Air Ambulance (EAAA), flew on to the playing field at John Henry Newman (JHN) Catholic School in Stevenage, while pupils from St Albans’ Nicholas Breakspear Catholic School were studying there.

The institutions have close ties as the head of the former school, Clive Mathew, is also executive headteacher of Nicholas Breakspear, in Colney Heath Lane.

Declan Linnane, headteacher of the latter school, said that sixth form students were at JHN when the air ambulance landed.

He spoke at length with the royal during lunch about everything from rugby to how George is doing at nursery, and described Prince William as “just a decent man who is in touch with humanity, very humble and very interested in other people”.
Read more: Prince William “really charming” according to St Albans pupils after surprise lunch - News - Herts Advertiser

Sounds like a good arrangement for EAAA to have open space for landings near the hospital and it appears that they and the school have found a way to ensure the students' safety while they operate. The students have an opportunity to watch first responders in action and on occasion chat with them about how they help the community.

I'd be willing to bet my last spoonful of Amish potato salad that the kids are far more interested in the helicopter itself rather than who was on board. Of course they would know who he is and it'll be something they'll be able to tell their own kids when William is King. :D

I'd be willing to bet my last spoonful of Amish potato salad that the kids are far more interested in the helicopter itself rather than who was on board. Of course they would know who he is and it'll be something they'll be able to tell their own kids when William is King. :D
I wouldn't be so sure. Some of them yes. BUt I saw a clip of them going into the school and you heard a girl squeel "Oooh myyyy goood, it's Priiiince Wiiiiillliammm" :p

Please may I point out that there are better examples of Journalism in England. This article beggars belief. Guess what we age and things change? This is news?

The Duke of Cambridge has attended the funeral of polar explorer Henry Worsley, who died trying to make the first unassisted solo crossing of the Antarctic.

William was patron of the adventurer's Shackleton Solo Expedition and joined mourners at a central London church for the service.

A few days after Mr Worsley died last month, his family spoke of the 'great comfort' they had taken in knowing the huge impact he had on so many people.
Read more: Prince William consoles widow at funeral of polar explorer Henry Worsley | Daily Mail Online

Prince William flew his air ambulance to help save a three-year-old boy who was choking on peanuts.

He landed the helicopter to allow paramedics to treat three-year-old Luke Swyers.

Luke had eaten what he thought were yoghurt coated raisins when he started choking.

Later his family found out they were peanuts and now believe Luke may have suffered an allergic reaction.

... A friend called 999 and then the Air Ambulance arrived in Bishop’s Stortford, Herts.

Donna said: “ Prince William was the pilot.

“There were two doctors onboard. They checked Luke out – they were concerned for him.”

Luke was given a cartoon character made from blown up surgical glove by the helicopter crew – it’s unclear whether Prince William made it himself.
Read more: Prince William in mercy mission to help save a three-year-old boy choking on peanuts - Mirror Online

Last edited by a moderator:
LOL, that's actually pretty fun for a piece in the Guardian!

Slightly OT, Victoria Coren Mitchell is married to David Mitchell of Peep Show fame.

This thread has been cleaned up, with a number of posts being moved to more appropriate threads where topic such as the media treatment of the Royal Family, the wealth and finances of the Royal Family and the role and duties of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge can be discussed..

Several further posts adding nothing to the discussion have been deleted.

To enable this thread to remain on topic, a new thread about William's job as a Helicopter Pilot has been created:

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forum...and-his-work-as-a-helicopter-pilot-40345.html

British Royals ‏@britishroyals
Prince William is on a private trip to Kenya over Easter. He'll meet the president; see conservation work; attend friend Jecca Craig's wedding

British Royals ‏@britishroyals
Press release: Prince William to undertake a private trip to Kenya (24-27 March)

The Duke of Cambridge will visit Kenya over the Easter Bank Holiday Weekend between 24th and 27th March 2016, on a private trip.

At the start of his short visit to the country, on Thursday 24th March, the Duke of Cambridge will attend a meeting with President Uhuru Kenyatta. The meeting is taking place at the request of Her Majesty's Government, and His Royal Highness is pleased to have the opportunity to meet the President while he is in Kenya. They will discuss the relationship between the United Kingdom and Kenya, to deepen relations between the two countries on a broad range of topics including defence and security, and conservation.

The Duke, who is President of United For Wildlife, will spend the remainder of the day seeing first-hand some of the longstanding conservation and anti-poaching initiatives taking place in Kenya, which are supported by Tusk Trust, the charity of which he is Royal Patron.

His Royal Highness will witness vets at work in the field as they fit radio tracking collars to elephants to help with research and conservation. The Duke of Cambridge will also spend time with a team of highly trained rangers in Lewa Conservancy, to learn about their work protecting one of Africa's significant rhino populations from poaching.

The remainder of this short visit to the country will be private.

https://www.facebook.com/majestymagazine/posts/1172104569488878

Last edited:
Considering he's meeting the president and doing Uniter for Wildlife work I think "private" is not the correct word (well, part of it is). I think that's just how the press classifies "we were not invited" :p

I don't think it has anything to do with the press. Being a private trip means that he is going for his own interests and purposes and that its not an official visit representing the Queen and the UK at the requests of the governments involved.

I don't think it has anything to do with the press. Being a private trip means that he is going for his own interests and purposes and that its not an official visit representing the Queen and the UK at the requests of the governments involved.
Yeah, I know and understand that. But this sentence: "At the start of his short visit to the country, on Thursday 24th March, the Duke of Cambridge will attend a meeting with President Uhuru Kenyatta. The meeting is taking place at the request of Her Majesty's Government, " says it's on the request of the government. So it sounds like at least that meeting is in official capacity.

Yeah, I know and understand that. But this sentence: "At the start of his short visit to the country, on Thursday 24th March, the Duke of Cambridge will attend a meeting with President Uhuru Kenyatta. The meeting is taking place at the request of Her Majesty's Government, " says it's on the request of the government. So it sounds like at least that meeting is in official capacity.

The meeting is official, but the rest is private. He's going to Jecca's wedding, but he's killing two birds with one stone. Support a good friend, but also do some work on conservation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom