General News for the Duke of Cambridge 1: April 2012-March 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly DM makes me want to laugh with this one. Like so what I'm a religious person but I don't go to church every Sunday
Prince William only go to church a 'handful' of times a year | Mail Online

This is another way to show evidence of the fact that it's indeed a slow news period in regards to the royals. I was always under the impression that being a good Christian and attending church on weekly basis have nothing to do with each other. I'm sure William and Catherine do what they need to do in order to be good people, and from what I'm seeing, they're doing an excellent job.

It's hard to have a go at a pregnant woman, so now it's his turn. Slow news indeed

Does the COE do televised services as churches in the US do on Sundays? Perhaps the Duke is Tivo-ing service so he can watch it after his on call shifts. :lol:

The more I think about it, with Will and Kate both being pretty astute people, they probably realize that with the level of press coverage they get even going out for a burger, perhaps they feel that if they were to attend a religious service of worship at a specific location each week, there would be more people there to gawk and stare at them than what the service is intended for.

:previous:

With respect, I doubt very much that's the reason; the Queen, Prince Charles and all the others have managed to attend services quite regularly without daily reports. What's more, William and Kate could have requested the press to abstain from taking their pictures during what very clearly would have been private functions - and we know the couple isn't shy on setting rules for the press.

Mind you, I'm not saying non-regular attendance of a Church is necessarily a show of how religious they are or aren't.

I think of this generation it seems the church going habits kick in more when there are small children and the family is in a routine. You get out of the habit when you go off to college and then are leading a 'single' life.

Last edited:
We really don't know everything this couple do and they may attend church on Sundays without no one really knowing about it.

I don't think you have to attend church every Sunday to prove you're good with the big guy in the sky. I think it's good to just take the almighty or whomever you worship with you everywhere you go and everything will be okay. That's just my take on it.

Last edited:

With respect, I doubt very much that's the reason; the Queen, Prince Charles and all the others have managed to attend services quite regularly without daily reports. What's more, William and Kate could have requested the press to abstain from taking their pictures during what very clearly would have been private functions - and we know the couple isn't shy on setting rules for the press.

Except that didn't seem to work for them on Christmas morning when they were photographed leaving the church. And it didn't work for them when someone with a long-range lens took pictures of them on their honeymoon, or even just walking on the beach with their dog. I won't mention those photos in France. They can request privacy, but sadly for them, there will always be those who don't honor the request.

Pretty rude of Daily Mail to speculate someone's else religious belief IMO

Mind you, I'm not saying non-regular attendance of a Church is necessarily a show of how religious they are or aren't.
I agree. Plus let's remember that together William & Kate wrote their own prayer to be included in their wedding service.

I don't think we know if they suggested the prayer, or if it was suggested to them, but we do know that they wrote it and they certainly did a credible job.

cinrit said:
Except that didn't seem to work for them on Christmas morning when they were photographed leaving the church....
True. But I believe this was more because of where they weren't (at Sandringham attending church) on Christmas Day, they were spending Christmas with the Middletons. Your other examples are certainly valid in a discussion on privacy, but not so much in the context of whether they attend church regularly/are religious.

Last edited:
:previous: True about Christmas Day, but I was thinking of their having asked for their privacy to be respected when they announced that they would be spending Christmas with the Middletons. In spite of that request, pictures were taken and published ... and poor Kate didn't look at all well.

:previous: True about Christmas Day, but I was thinking of their having asked for their privacy to be respected when they announced that they would be spending Christmas with the Middletons. In spite of that request, pictures were taken and published ... and poor Kate didn't look at all well.

Well it's not the photographers fault Catherine didn't look well. They're royalty, the only privacy they get is behind closed doors IMO.

The point I was making was that they requested that their privacy be respected. The note about Kate not looking well was just a bit of personal commentary on my part. :flowers:

Their request was complied with though, wasn't it? Only those agencies that did not receive the request turned up, and even they would have probably refrained from taking pictures had they not been misled into thinking it was OK to do so (by security clearing up a space for the press, etc). And when some pictures were published, they were promptly taken down. We no longer get pictures of Kate shopping or doing daily errands because the couple has made it clear they do not wish to be photographed on their private time.

Besides, how interesting you think weekly Church visits would be to anyone? They might get published once or twice at first but that's about it.

I don't know about that. They claimed they didn't get the request, but it's strange that everyone else did. And the Daily Mail did do a lot of grumbling and complaining before they took the pictures down. If the photographer didn't know about the request, didn't it strike him as odd that he was the only one there with a camera?

I think it's fundamentally wrong to speculate as to the veracity or otherwise of someone else's faith when you don't know them. Until such times as some we can figure out how to read the the true inner thoughts of other people we just can't know.

One thing I will say, is that from personal experience I know several people who would never miss a Sunday church service and yet are not in the least Christian in how they live their day-to-day lives, and vice versa.

The Church of England is one of those churches where adherents often don't reach the heights of devotion and commitment as in other churches. A good chunk of people attend to try and win a place at the CoE schools for their children, as they're often much better than normal state schools. David Cameron summed Anglicanism up pretty well:
'My own faith is there, it's not always the rock that perhaps it should be. I've a sort of fairly classic Church of England faith, a faith that grows hotter and colder by moments.
'I suppose I sort of started life believing that one's individual faith was important, but actually the institutions of the church were less important.
'I do think that organised religion can get things wrong.'

He added: 'I think that it's perfectly possible to live a good life without having faith, by which I mean a positive and altruistic life, but I think the teachings of Jesus, just as the teachings of other religions, are a good guide to help us through.'

David Cameron: My faith in God and prayers (and what I really think of Boris Johnson) | Mail Online

The press (and the DM in particular) are obviously still going at William guns-blazing over the Christmas photos. Just shows yet again how contemptible they really are.

Last edited:
Isn't there a Biblical admonition against making an outward show of your faith? Certainly the pews of the CofE, and many other fiaths in the Uk, are not exactly filled with bums every Sunday. Many are only there for Easter and Christmas, likely for out of tradition than anything else.

To sum it up Jesus cautioned his followers not to make a big public display of atonement and prayer in public. He suggested that they do so privately.

The CoE is a bit of a compromise church. It was designed as a go-between to bridge the differences between the Roman Catholic Church and the the puritanical churches. It's always shown something of a confusion over which direction to take - mose recently evident in deciding that gay men can be bishops so long as they're celibate, and women can be vicars but not bishops.

It's probably the lapsed Presbyterian in me, but I think the most important element in faith is not the relationship between a person and their church's institutions, but between a person and their God.

The making of a very Middle Class Monarch: A resolutely ordinary father-in-law William calls 'Mike' or 'Dad', cosy TV suppers and none of the flunkies so adored by his own father... how the Royals will never be the same again:
The making of a very Middle Class Monarch: A resolutely ordinary father-in-law William calls 'Mike' or 'Dad', cosy TV suppers and none of the flunkies so adored by his own father... how the Royals will never be the same again | Mail Online

What is interesting about this article is the criticism of HMQ and PRince Philip - not something the DM normally does.

QUOTE:
The Queen’s total devotion to the nation has meant she was largely an absentee and occupied parent. That, coupled with the fact that she has never been a demonstrative mother – and indeed disapproves of those who are – has had a profound effect on her four children, especially Charles.

Her iron self-control was easily interpreted as coldness by her son. It is telling that one of Prince Charles’s former private secretaries once told the author Graham Turner: ‘If the Queen had spent less time with those idiotic [government] boxes and taken being a wife and mother more seriously, it would have been far better.

‘Yes, she can handle Prime Ministers very well, but can she handle her eldest son? And which is more important? If the Queen had taken half as much trouble about the rearing of her children as she has about the breeding of her horses, the Royal Family wouldn’t be in such a mess now.

IT even talks about how she was almost disinterested in who William married - now I don't believe that but this is the DM for goodness sake!

No major criticism of Charles, and some criticism of Diana. IT is very strange for this newspaper.

The rest is just to usual torpid stuff plus an advertorial for the woman who did William and Harry's nursery - a cool £26,000. Don't see these 2 doing that.

EDIT: This is a promo of a book to be published called (yuck) "Diana's Baby - Kate, William and the Repair of a Broken Family" by Angela Levin, the author of this piece.

Last edited:
May I say that I think William is a pretty good dresser but sometimes I think his suits are a bit too tight and, he appears to me, to be a little uncomfortable. He pull on his suits a lot.

May I say that I think William is a pretty good dresser but sometimes I think his suits are a bit too tight and, he appears to me, to be a little uncomfortable. He pull on his suits a lot.

That may also be his way of dealing with not liking being in the spotlight. I remember when he was a teenager, he almost always rubbed the side of his nose during public engagements. Now that gesture changed to pulling on his suit and fiddling with his ties (though I remember the tie-pulling during teen years as well).

He also looks amazing when he wears a tux too! :brows:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom