General News for the Duke of Cambridge 1: April 2012-March 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh yes! Catherine is no pushover. She is a very strong woman and I'm sure she's okay with him enjoying some time with friends.

Ummm how did William disrespect his wife to the world?

LaRae

I mean, my husband went on a ski trip just last weekend with two of his buddies. (I normally would have gone too but I have an injury from earlier this ski season). I was totally fine with it, and I think Kate probably was too (and I do think she has power in her marriage)

As may be Catherine (as I mentioned). That's not really the point. You and I may be perfectly fine with our hubbies going off to have fun with friends on a weekend, but we don't have marriages in that most peculiar of institutions that runs on 'image'. This is something different. That marriage is not like our marriages. JMO.

But the optics are bad. For PR purposes, at this point in his life, William should stick to family ski trips. (His friends are mostly married. They could bring along their wives and families too)

No kidding. :blink: And I won't even go as far as you about only family outings with friends and their families. That part doesn't interest me. What I see is a failure in family leadership qualities that I would guess his father and grandmother wish to see him demonstrate without being coached at his age. JMO.

P.S. I know there will be disagreement. It is what it is. Please don't take what I say personally. Just a pov.

Last edited:
As TLLK pointed out, it quite possible William had an Air Ambulance shift today. You rarely see the spouse of a royal attend these type of events solo. You had 7 royals already attending how many more do you need.

I would say it's not the numbers but who went. When I first saw this hit my twitter the first thing that entered my mind was oh no how dam stupid to do that. Its just inviting talk about being lazy the state of his marriage etc. etc. I don't know if he's lazy or doesn't give a dam But it's just not a good look. Now the press will be on the look out makes you wonder if it was worth it

Well I have to say I never thought that highly of William and Harry's friends MO
Someone should have considered the look of it

I've said before that Catherine and the Philips' duo appear to be better at picking friends than the Waleses and the Yorks. I haven't changed my mind.:lol:

I'm actually surprised William was so chummy to a group of strangers, it goes against his reputation of being wary of those he doesn't know he can trust. Either that reputation is embellished or William was flying by the seat of his pants that day.

Last edited:
I find this story amazing. It is a 'family business' that depends on 'image'. One hopes (because it is, after all, hereditary, so there is a strong element of 'luck of the draw'), one really hopes that the designated heir shows some innate leadership characteristics relevant to that 'family business'. In this case some savvy regarding 'image'. It's a subtle thing when you think about it but absolutely key to success in the 'image' business.

Agree 100%. :rolleyes: I am sitting here amazed. (I think the English word is 'gobsmacked').

Good point. :p

I'll say, but even if Catherine said okay (and I don't for a minute think she has that kind of 'power' in her marriage JMO) I question any man who would so easily disrespect his wife to the world. Remember what his line of business is: image.

Now this may be far more innocent than it appears: a 'night out' really, and what wife would not say okay to that? (Especially when the 'old guy' sees his brother kicking up his heels in Jamaica, maybe the wife actively shoos him out the door :p). But....it's not that, it's the lack of care in a situation that demands attention to the niceties of the myriad details regarding 'image', far beyond his wife, his father, his grandmother, an institution he has agreed to be part of, if only by default.

I can be convinced otherwise, but right now it strikes me as the oddest thing. Optics? Reputation? State of marriage? Why even allow it in through the cracks? Wait until next weekend. Color me: :unsure: ;) :p

I agree well said [emoji1319]

Reading it again it doesn't appear that the women and man were not known to William. If that is so and if he had been drinking heavily or even not that heavy it was a dangerous position he was in.

Personally I don’t care if he attends the service or not, but man, these people have THE worst PR advisers of all time:ROFLMAO:.

Amen to that. No matter the circumstances, this sums it up perfectly.

But I suspect that all the expensive PR people are in despair because William immune to any advice, especially when it comes to the press whom he detests.

The relation to the press will only get worse with time (especially with the kids growing up), I'm sure.

No can accuse him of being lazy or workshy. The Cambs have upped their official duties this year and they're in the process of making their transition to only official duties. I know that's part of the media angle, because he and Catherine didn't attend the Commonwealth service.

I think the trip is over. The couple will be getting back to their duties. This will all blow over.

The schussh heard around the world....

.... and the schuss was done on a mountain made out of a molehill. At least that's how I see it.

William has a busy full life. We've seen him really stepping up and stepping out in being seen and heard doing what people have been clamoring for him to do. Royal duties. He's also still with EAAA although his schedule there does not make the news so much these days. He's also a husband and father to two little ones and from all reports I've been able to read, two very active little ones. He also has a very "in your face" trip coming up to Paris representing his monarch and grandmother and with handing out shamrocks first for the Irish Guard and then flying off to Paris, its going to be a jam packed itinerary with world media breathing down his neck. Sounds like the man had trouble sometimes finding time to go to the bathroom on his own without someone looming over him watching.

Its no big deal that he went skiing for a weekend of respite and recreation with friends. It was probably very much needed to blow cobwebs away and have a few hours to have nothing on his mind except the the gleaming white ski trails and warm companionship of his friends. A real breather in an otherwise very busy life. I'm happy he went and damn the repercussions that some may feel warranted because the man actually went and enjoyed himself doing something just for him.

As far as Guy Pelly leaving his pregnant wife. I've been pregnant three times and during all three pregnancies, there were time I really, really just wanted a looming husband that was asking "is it time yet?" to just go away. Perhaps he was told to go and don't come back until the weekend is over. Gave Lizzy some peace and quiet to maybe have a few of her "girls" over and revel in all things baby. We really don't know. Should Guy had gotten a call stating "its time!", with transportation being the way it is now, he could have easily been at her side quite quickly and not missed much of the labor and delivery. First babies do tend to take their own sweet time arriving as a norm. :D

Whatever the real story is, we'll never know because we don't know these people at all. We get impressions of things from what we see and other people's opinion flood our own opinions one way or the other sometimes. They went on the trip. They had a good time on the trip and there was no harm done to anyone by it. That is all that matters really.

IMO William comes across as spoilt and petulant and probably workshy when the rest of the family is attending a high profile event. He or whoever is advising him has zero feeling for PR and image building, or simply doesn't care one bit, a situation that has been building up over many years and will escalate one day when William will take full responsibility for the monarchy.

William may have terrible PR advisors but IMO this is not an illustration of a failure on their parts.

First of all, PR advisors are not autocrats, they can only advise and cannot force their employers/clients to follow their council.

But come on, William is a 30-something born royal, not just a born royal but an heir apparent, he has been dealing with image management and public relations since before most of his current staffers could shave. You cannot tell me that this is an incident where William needed to be advised on the potential pitfalls of his actions. This all falls on William, I am not even saying that he would be wrong for weighing all of the potential outcomes and deciding to go on the trip, but I disagree that the PR advisors should have or would be required to call the shots over whether and when William should go on a ski trip with a few of his buddies.

Last edited:
William may have terrible PR advisors but IMO this is not an illustration of a failure on their parts.

First of all, PR advisors are not autocrats, they can only advise and cannot force their employers/clients to follow their council.

But come on, William is a 30-something born royal, not just a born royal but an heir apparent, he has been dealing with image management and public relations since before most of his current staffers could shave. You cannot tell me that this is an incident where William needed to be advised on the potential pitfalls of his actions. This all falls on William, I am not even saying that he would be wrong for weighing all of the potential outcomes and deciding to go on the trip, but I disagree that the PR advisors should have or would be required to call the shots over whether and when William should go on a ski trip with a few of his buddies.
I agree with this.

I don't think the trip itself was something bad. Skiing with a few friends, a party, hanging out with people. I don't see ANY issue at all with him going on holiday with friends. (I cannot stand the "he's leaving the family" stuff!)

And the lady thing is just stupid. He highfived a woman... my lord...

The thing is... none of these facts matter. It LOOKS bad, and he would know that. THAT is the only issue with this for me.

I agree with this.

I don't think the trip itself was something bad. Skiing with a few friends, a party, hanging out with people. I don't see ANY issue at all with him going on holiday with friends. (I cannot stand the "he's leaving the family" stuff!)

And the lady thing is just stupid. He highfived a woman... my lord...

The thing is... none of these facts matter. It LOOKS bad, and he would know that. THAT is the only issue with this for me.

He would also realize that no matter what he does, no matter who he sees or doesn't see and no matter how much duty and service he gives or doesn't give, there will always be room for things to come out that will make him look "bad". He knows he can't please all the people all the time and for the most part, what people think really doesn't matter.

He's wise to know himself well enough to follow his own heart and his own sense of what he needs to do or don't do rather than let other people's opinions sway his life.

The more I think about this the more I'm really disappointed with him. Whatever the situation with the girls was its disrespectful to Kate. surely some little corner of his alcohol affected brain must have told him it's not cool.

He would also realize that no matter what he does, no matter who he sees or doesn't see and no matter how much duty and service he gives or doesn't give, there will always be room for things to come out that will make him look "bad". He knows he can't please all the people all the time and for the most part, what people think really doesn't matter.

He's wise to know himself well enough to follow his own heart and his own sense of what he needs to do or don't do rather than let other people's opinions sway his life.

Exactly! William knows the game tabloids play.

:previous: I have to admit I was surprised that all the BRF heavy-hitters where there at the Commonwealth Day Service and with all the talk of slimming down the royal family, etc. the absence of the Duke and Duchess was glaring.

It doesn't matter that they were never scheduled to be there, they were missed and, when they go looking, there's William off on a guys weekend. Let's face it, life is not fair and Catherine probably packed his bag for him and joined "the girls' for a spa, but with the Commonwealth Day Service being unusually heavily covered it just exposed their alternative arrangements.

Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with the trip, my own brother in law goes down country golfing with his mates once a year. So what. But William is not just anyone and he was photographed in the company of women and now the media are picking at the trip, trying to expose cracks in the Cambridge marriage that just aren't there.

It really is all about 'Optics'. Maybe he should have encouraged Harry to fly the girlfriend over for the weekend and hidden her a few rows back. The press would have gone demented. :D

Last edited:
All the heavy hitters weren't at the Commonwealth Service. All the heavy hitters were at the Afghanistan Iraq Memorial dedication the previous Thursday. Thursday's event had every working royal scheduled to attend. Yesterday's didn't.

I don't know of any other member of the family who worries about 'optics' so I'm not sure why William should.

He'd drive himself mad trying to live his life according to what the tabloids have to say.

Prince Charles doesn't attend this event every year, so I don't see why William needs to be there.

Last edited:
I am one of Williams biggest supporters however I'm not even going to go through the logic maze to try and defend this one. As many has said, its not the actual trip that is the issue, its the way it looks. Especially since apparently Andrew was in Verbier with Fergie this weekend as well and still made it back to the service.

Plus William has a history of taking trips at bad times. The boar hunting before the wildlife conference, the 10 day trip to the Maldives right after Kate's Mustique trip (and Will and Kate hadn't been on an engagement in weeks). He doesn't give a crap what the press says about it .

I'll put this here

The Royal Record‏ @TheRoyalRecord
Will & Kate's first Commonwealth Day service was in 2015. But apparently going two years in a row = A TRADITION THAT MUST NOT BE MISSED.

I'll also add that Harry's first Commonwealth Day wasn't until 2016 - and that when WK went in 2015, Harry was on holiday in South Africa.

I don't remember any outrage then, so apparently Commonwealth Day has only become a crucial, un-missable event within the last 2 years.

Was Harry worrying about the optics when he tacked on a trip to Toronto on the back of his official tour. Charles when he writes his memos to the politicians or takes a private charter plane when he lectures about global warming. Andrew and his shady friends. Even the Queen last year at the horse show for her 90th birthday was sitting next to the King of Bahrain who is accused of multiple human rights violations.

It's not the trip, it's the way the press is casting aspersions on the trip.
They portray William as indifferent to his duties, and leaving his wife at home while he parties with Guy Pelly and a model.

It is a matter of perception. Next there will be rumors of the marriage breaking down.

It's not the trip, it's the way the press is casting aspersions on the trip.
They portray William as indifferent to his duties, and leaving his wife at home while he parties with Guy Pelly and a model.

It is a matter of perception. Next there will be rumors of the marriage breaking down.

So what's the solution? He can never be seen talking with any woman, other than his wife? He must attend every single royal event every time?

People have hysterical standards when it comes to William and Catherine, not even Charles and the Queen are held to this level of scrutiny.

People have hysterical standards when it comes to William and Catherine, not even Charles and the Queen are held to this level of scrutiny.

I think a lot of the affection public felt for Diana was transferred to William and Harry after her death.
So yes, the standards are unrealistic.

It's totally wrong for the media to drag the model into this too. We all know what kind of ideas they're trying to stir up in people's minds. Know we can go on and in about the pics coming out on Commonwealth day, but it's wrong to stir up some talk about the Cambridge marriage. That's not fair to the couple at all.

Right now the models pics are slashed all over the net and papers. Very unnecessary and unfair to her and the royal couple.

I just think its plain silly that negative connotations would be made about people in William's company as he was enjoying a skiing weekend. Should the same photo have been snapped while he was in the same company of people but at an official engagement, nothing would have been made about it at all.

People see what they want to see and the media knows that its the "scandalous" and "disrespectful" and the "missteps" that any royal makes that brings in the money and that is what they'll jump on like white on rice to get tongues wagging.

Straightforward journalistic reporting is not their strong suit by any means. :whistling:

It's totally wrong for the media to drag the model into this too. We all know what kind of ideas they're trying to stir up in people's minds. Know we can go on and in about the pics coming out on Commonwealth day, but it's wrong to stir up some talk about the Cambridge marriage. That's not fair to the couple at all.

Right now the models pics are slashed all over the net and papers. Very unnecessary and unfair to her and the royal couple.

I just think its plain silly that negative connotations would be made about people in William's company as he was enjoying a skiing weekend. Should the same photo have been snapped while he was in the same company of people but at an official engagement, nothing would have been made about it at all.

It's not because he's was on a weekend holiday. The tabloids even pull these stunts in his professional life. Remember when they splashed pictures around of the attractive female doctor when William started working with the EAAA. The message was "Look away Catherine, these two co-workers will be working intimately together! ;)". They didn't care that the doctor was married or that they stole her swimsuit pictures off her personal Facebook page and spread them around for all tabloid readers to see. The doctor was understandably furious and complained to the media.

So whether it's a co-worker, a part-time model, or one of George's future teachers, this will always happen. It's gross and unfair to all parties but unless there is press reform it won't change.

Still trying to figure out how this was disrespectful of his wife as at least some here have said....really? Not like he was caught in a hot tub with her....

LaRae

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom