General News for the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge 1: January 2013-December 2014

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zonk

Administrator
City
Somewhere in
Country
United States
UKCambridgeConjugalArmsmedium.jpg

Welcome to the General News and Information thread
for the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Please note that all posts relating to the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge's Current Events should be posted in the appropriate Current Events thread.

Thanks!

Warren, wbenson and Zonk
British Forum Moderators

Last edited:
Thanks for the link, Dman.

$2.5 million for a couple of hours at a polo match? Pretty good going. Given the level of success, I'd almost guarantee that we'll see some more charity polo matches abroad hosted by Will, Kate and Harry.

Glad to see that the American part of TRH's Royal Foundation is going from strength to strength.

Just over £1,5 million sterling apparently, that's great going!

Well, I actually do find their relationship as 'inspirational.' I don't think they are a perfect couple and all relationships have it's ups and downs. I just find it beautiful that their love and friendship as lasted this long. They had to deal with a great deal of pressure and media nonsense over the years but they've kept going forward together and now they are getting ready to welcome their first child in the world.

To me, I think The Cambridge's are inspirational and a beautiful couple.

They do seem to be a romantic couple, but neither together or separate are they inspirational in my eyes. Especially their relationship, they've done what most people in the world can manage.

Perhaps, an inspirational royal couple for me are either HM and DOE or Charles and Camilla.

Inspirational because... William was determined to marry for love... Catharine was courageous enough to take on a monumental responsibility which will only end at death... Despite ups and downs, they held on to what they had... With few exceptions, most people agree that they are a couple very much in love... Catharine seems more naturally elegant and royal than some who are blood royals... Their future subjects want a wholesome King and Queen who are happily married... They have been fairly successful in carving out a 'normal' life for themselves... Their love story and subsequent marriage seems more like the Queen's and DoE's than that of other royal couples.

Those who have never had a long love relationship or a marriage (happy or otherwise) may find it difficult to appreciate what a special connection these two seem to have.

They do seem to be a romantic couple, but neither together or separate are they inspirational in my eyes. Especially their relationship, they've done what most people in the world can manage.

Perhaps, an inspirational royal couple for me are either HM and DOE or Charles and Camilla.

HM and DOE, yes. Charles and Camilla, not so much. She wouldn't wait for him; he couldn't make up his mind about her. Between them, they hurt many, including their children. I like Camilla, she seems a jolly sort....but I don't respect what the two of them did. However, I'm happy that they are happy. I certainly wouldn't want their backstory for my marriage.

I agree, I too find The Queen & Duke of Edinburgh's relationship very inspirational. For me, Charles & Camilla's relationship is different and difficult. I think Charles & Camilla work very well together but I don't see them as an inspirational couple. Lot of hurt and pain involved, although I decided to leave that to the past.

Last edited:
Charles and Camilla will never get the title of inspirational romantic couple - maybe after their deaths, but their love story ended 2 marriages.

I have always considered King George VI and Queen Elizabeth as an inspirational couple.

But these magazines target the young, so the examples have to be a young couple.

Charles and Camilla will never get the title of inspirational romantic couple - maybe after their deaths, but their love story ended 2 marriages.

Didn't actually think there were still people who believe that.

Inspirational because... William was determined to marry for love... Catharine was courageous enough to take on a monumental responsibility which will only end at death.

Can you mention one royal couple who didn't marry for love? I don't see how that's inspirational.
Catherine's biggest issue will be with the press for the rest of her life but it was very much her choice.

Can you mention one royal couple who didn't marry for love? I don't see how that's inspirational.

Well, William's father didn't marry for love, "whatever that means." And I expect that marriage is the one which has shaped William's thinking.

Well, William's father didn't marry for love, "whatever that means." And I expect that marriage is the one which has shaped William's thinking.

You can't prove that in the slightest. I'm pretty sure I've even seen/heard Diana say the absolute opposite in some interview.

I can see some finding Charles and Camilla inspirational, there is a lot of love and loyalty going on there. The dedication they have for each other is very sweet and inspirational.

Well, I actually do find their relationship as 'inspirational.' I don't think they are a perfect couple and all relationships have it's ups and downs. I just find it beautiful that their love and friendship as lasted this long. They had to deal with a great deal of pressure and media nonsense over the years but they've kept going forward together and now they are getting ready to welcome their first child in the world.

I agree.

I personally think Charles loved Diana, but he wasn't in love with her. If that makes any sense. His answer during their engagement interview ("whatever in love means"), is one of the things that made me believe he wasn't in love with her. IMO, Camilla has always been the love of his life.

Against all odds, C&C managed to find their way back one another, and their marriage seems very loving and supportive. So I can see how people find their relationship inspirational.

Last edited:
I totally respect those who find Charles & Camilla's relationship inspirational. I think one of Charles & Camilla's close friends said that Charles love women in his own way but he's not very good with them.. He loved Diana and now he loves Camilla.

You're definitely right. I find this couple inspirational as well, because they chose to stick it out, and work on their difference, rather than quit and go their separate ways. Yes, they did take a break from each other, but that break helped them grow and realize that being together was a lot better than being apart. You can see their devotion to one another, and it brings back the notion that finding your own 'happily ever after' is a possibility. We can all find our 'prince' or 'princess', love, and be loved in return.

Truly, I can't find anything inspirational in either of them. That's not a dig, just my truth. They have not been around long enough in any capacity to be labeled "inspirational." Give them time, it may work out that they are.

Truly, I can't find anything inspirational in either of them. That's not a dig, just my truth. They have not been around long enough in any capacity to be labeled "inspirational." Give them time, it may work out that they are.

On this, I have to agree with you. To me they seem as a couple like millions of others that have progressed a close relationship into marriage. I would also be willing to bet that even though they love each other, they also have those "I don't like you much right now" days that all couples go through. The big test of any relationship that can be called "inspirational" is the test of time and circumstances. They've just not been at it long enough yet.

I have to agree and I find it disappointing that the media in an effort to sell more copies will continue to hold them to an unrealistic image. IMHO this a couple that appears to have a good, solid foundation built on friendship. I hope that their marriage continues to grow and strengthen, but they've only been married less than two years. I agree with KittyAtlanta and that they need time.

Very true, William & Catherine have a long ways to go. I reflect on this young generation and the people in my life and all the stuff I (personally) have seen couples go through, I think it's great that so far William & Catherine have remained together through their own struggles. They will no doubt go through many ups and downs but I just think it's beautiful and inspirational to see them grow as husband & wife and friends with each other.

Lumutqueen you asked for an example of royal couple who did not marry for love. I would put forth GD Jean and GD Josephine Charlotte. She is said to have loved another whom her parents would not let her marry, and to have cried on her wedding day. And she looked grim in photos on her wedding day (although most photographers caught more grim moments back then, in all of their royal subjects). However, it seems GD Jean and GD Josephine Charlotte came to love one another. There are photos on line of her comforting him when he abdicated, and of him crying at her funeral. Love can grow out of an arranged marriage, but it may not be there to start.
I find GD Jean and GD Josephine Charlotte to be an inspirational couple, although she was imperfect in her attitudes, especially toward Maria Teresa. It is not surprising she resented a love match, since she was not allowed to have one, and royal bloodlines were held up to her as trumping love. Hard for her to make the transition to love matches between royals and commoners. But she continued on, with dignity, even through terminal cancer.
A lovely looking pair of blue bloods, who learned to love one another.

Kate is ours in the same way Diana was: we cannot be kept at bay:
Kate is ours in the same way Diana was: we cannot be kept at bay – Telegraph Blogs

Very true, Catherine is the British peoples future Queen but I think it's important to treat your future Queen with some respect. She'll do her part by serving the people, support great causes and dutifully fly the flag for the United Kingdom and Commonwealth but I think it's important to give her some time and space too.

Kate is ours in the same way Diana was: we cannot be kept at bay:
Kate is ours in the same way Diana was: we cannot be kept at bay – Telegraph Blogs

Very true, Catherine is the British peoples future Queen but I think it's important to treat your future Queen with some respect. She'll do her part by serving the people, support great causes and dutifully fly the flag for the United Kingdom and Commonwealth but I think it's important to give her some time and space too.

Well, Diana's dead now, at least in part because of media interest around her. So...I don't think it's the best paradigm to fit Kate into.

That blog post is...really disturbing. Creepy obsessive, completely dismissive of whether Kate or any of the royal family gets hurt in their stalking, just as long as they have access to her in some form or fashion. "We'll do whatever we want with her because she's OURS!"

I feel deeply sorry for Kate all over again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom