General News for the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge 1: January 2013-December 2014

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The fact is the positions of Victoria and William are totally different. To compare the two is to compare apples with oranges.

When I read some of the comments on the DM or here or on Twitter I am truly puzzled. In my own life, my group of friends (mid to late 20s, early 30s, working class, utterly normal people) pay no attention whatsoever to the Royals except when it comes to William, Kate and Harry. They see William and Harry as exceptional in having actual jobs, as opposed to what the full-time royals do, which they simply don't see as proper work. Kate does royal duties while bringing up soon to be 2 small children. Which is basically what we were told she would do in the early years of her marriage way back from when they got engaged.

This obsession with being a 'full-time royal' or 'embracing royal duties' is something that only seems to exercise royal watchers. No-one else is that bothered.

Last edited:
Its like that with my wife's family in England. If not for William, Kate and Harry they wouldn't even know the royals exist

I'd almost like to see the younger generation walk away from this circus and work in the private sector and let the monarchy end with the Queen.

:previous:Absolutely agree with your comments and I am far far older than you. :flowers:

This was in response to PetticoatLane. :)

As Petticoatlane pointed out Victoria and William are not in the same position. Victoria is the heir, William is the heir's heir.

If the Queen wanted him and Kate as full time royals they would be. If William lives to the Queen's age now, he will most likely spend 50 years as a full time royal.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

No one is comparing William & Catherine's positions to their royal counterparts. I was pointing out that the other royals have a way of embracing their royal duties that I and many others would like to see William and Catherine do the same. We all know about their different positions and I'm not comparing them in that way.

The fact is the positions of Victoria and William are totally different. To compare the two is to compare apples with oranges.

When I read some of the comments on the DM or here or on Twitter I am truly puzzled. In my own life, my group of friends (mid to late 20s, early 30s, working class, utterly normal people) pay no attention whatsoever to the Royals except when it comes to William, Kate and Harry. They see William and Harry as exceptional in having actual jobs, as opposed to what the full-time royals do, which they simply don't see as proper work. Kate does royal duties while bringing up soon to be 2 small children. Which is basically what we were told she would do in the early years of her marriage way back from when they got engaged.

This obsession with being a 'full-time royal' or 'embracing royal duties' is something that only seems to exorcise royal watchers. No-one else is that bothered.

It's to do with attitude not position.Victoria embraces being royal and William doesn't and that's what leads to him and Kate looking lacklustre. Personally I don't think the Monarchy will continue as he's too privacy orientated for both himself and his family and he won't change IMO.

Do I really want them to "embrace being royal", whatever that means? Does it mean going to fancy dos wearing tiaras and designer evening gowns? Or does it mean serving the people, being relevant to the lives they lead and the world they live in? If that's what it means then surely voluntarily putting your life at risk to help others, which is what William and Harry both do in different ways in their previous and current roles, is the most 'royal' thing you can do?

Let's move on...this topic has been discussed in both http://www.theroyalforums.com/forum...uties-roles-and-responsibilties-35796-67.html, http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f269/prince-williams-suitability-to-be-king-29918-31.html and http://www.theroyalforums.com/forum...ture-duties-roles-responsibilities-37233.html .

There is no need for this topic to dominate four separate threads.

Also, all posts regarding the Jan Moir article need to be posted in http://www.theroyalforums.com/foru...december-7-9-2014-a-37677-20.html#post1729329 as it directly relates to the USA trip.

Any and all additional off topic posts will be deleted without notice.

Zonk
British Forums Moderator

Last edited:
No one is comparing William & Catherine's positions to their royal counterparts. I was pointing out that the other royals have a way of embracing their royal duties that I and many others would like to see William and Catherine do the same. We all know about their different positions and I'm not comparing them in that way.

When you think about it, the generation of grandchildren of the monarch have Wills, Kate and Harry of doing the most. Its the children and the cousins of the monarch that make up the rest of the working Firm along with The Queen and The DoE.

When you really think about it, the years between 2012 and 2015 will have 18 months of Kate being pregnant and suffering severe HG with each pregnancy.

I'm posting this here because I want to remember it as general evidence that

1. the Duchess is not the total puff-head some claim her to be. In fact, she can carry on a multi thread conversation (which only some of here on the Forums can do ;))
  2. She really is that nice
Read on my friends: That's Me in the Corner, Talking to Kate Middleton - WNYC

And sorry if some one posted this already. I've been busy.

People that meet Kate say she is nothing but charming, interesting and a pleasure to be around.

That article is crap. The Percy wedding was a month before she had George. You want a 8 month pregnant lady to travel away from London and her doctors to almost Scotland for a wedding. The Pelly wedding was just after they got back from Aus/NZ. If she did go, the press would make I big deal about her stealing the bride's spot light.

Its funny when W&K do make social appearances at weddings etc the comments are always critical of the focus being on Kate.

Maybe sometimes she just wants the event not to be about her

There is even critical comments when Pippa attends a wedding. ?

Soo no new engagement at the moment... I guess we will see them for the lunch at BP and then at Christmas

It is time for the royal couple to lighten up-
Camilla Tominey on the royal couple, fisherman sexism, and ASMR | Camilla Tominey | Columnists | Comment | Daily Express

I know it drives the royal correspondents and photographers crazy when William and Catherine don't bother to turn around to the cameras when they're out on official engagements. They yell at the couple to do so but the couple only do so when they want to. I think it's just William & Catherine's way of ignoring the photographers. She learned it from William.

I liked that William & Catherine attended the basketball game but there were so many people surrounding them and looking at them. I wondered if the couple could even breathe. I think the Cambridge's would've been able to relax more if they met Queen B and J in private and have video and pictures released. I felt bad for them in that situation.

I think Catherine has grown in confidence in her royal life but I really don't see much of a specific role carved out for her yet. I don't include her life as a wife and mother because that's her private and personal life. That aside, I think some people want to see a more clear royal role from her. Catherine has several good charities under her belt but I think her voice could be heard more. I do think it's time for her to gain some honorary colonencies as well. The point is I think it's time for her to carve out her royal role.

I was wondering when this would begin. It's been 3 & a half years since the Wedding, so it's time for this garbage to start sadly.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

I think that it is stipulated in Camilla Tominey's work contract that she humiliate herself every year around Christmas.

Christmas 2011- Camilla wrote that the Cambridges would be spending the New Year in Scotland. Other news sources including Wikipedia picked up her claim as fact. Paparazzi photos showed the Cambridges in Bucklebury on Dec 31, 2011- including the infamous Catherine running with the dogs picture. Other news sources quickly backtracked and said the Cambridges were ringing in the New Year with her parents. Camilla stuck to her Scotland story and said she believed "her impeccable sources", she refused to acknowledge the pap pics on Twitter. Other reporters gave her major side-eye for her stubborness. To this day Wikipedia stills claims they were in Scotland for their first New Years because of Camilla.

Christmas 2012- Camilla wrote that William is a hard-core Twilight fan. That he thinks Robert Pattison is dreamy, and he forces all the staff at Sandringham to watch the Twilight movies against their will. When people on Twitter mocked her for this story she became enraged and said "her impeccable sources" told her this info so she stands behind it. A little back story here - it was around this time that William filed a press complaint against Ikonpictures and The Daily Mail for the pictures of him and Catherine going to church on Christmas in Berkshire. Camilla is best friends with Ikonpictures, she also believes paparazzi should have free rein, so she hinted on Twitter that she would give William a retaliatory hit-piece. She did that a week later with the Twilight story.

Christmas 2013- Camilla was on maternity leave. Drats!

Christmas 2014- Camilla writes this whiney, petulant article about the Cambridges.
She gushes that Diana was best friends with the Press always giving them photo ops and leaking them stories. William and Catherine are aloof jerks who keep the media at arms lengths, and treat them at best as business associates. She also whines on Twitter that Catherine doesn't give interviews, while admitting that The Queen and Camilla also don't give interviews, it's okay for them but Commoner Catherine needs to know her place. I find it interesting that she published this article not long after her best friend Ikonpictures is being sued for stalking Prince George. When she heard about the lawsuit she blew her top on Twitter, screeching about free press and how we must protect the rights of the paparazzi and not their victims.

I can't wait to see what nonsense she comes up with for Christmas 2015. If Catherine has another boy, I bet Camilla will write that the Cambridges have undergone some secret medical gender selection, because her impeccable sources told her so!

It was bound to start eventually, wasn't it? It brings me back to when the press started in on Charles and Diana's marriage, and we know that the press comment certainly didn't help there. William and Kate are much stronger as a couple, fortunately.

Camilla Tominey has always been one of the sleazier reporters. If William and Kate aren't dancing to her tune then they must be doing something right.

William and Kate are a safe and loving couple, hardly tabloid worthy so Tominey must manufacturer outrage

She forgets W&K are the two most popular members of the BRF

I really don't think Camilla Tominey is unfairly attacking William and Catherine. I may not totally agree with her, but I understand what she's getting at though.

General News and Information for the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Why do they need to update that George is talking? Do we know that CT's kid is talking? We get little bits about him from his parents when they are talking to people they meet at engagements.

What are W&K suppose to do while on the Jumbotron ? They waved. The whole Beyoncé Jay Z meeting had cameras and boom mikes five deep around them. Not a normal situation.

How are they supposed to be spontaneous on this recent trip? W&K let their personality out when they are participating in their engagements such as the dragon boat or dancing in grass skirts in the South Pacific or sailing in NZ. The NY trip wasn't that type of tour.

Last edited:
I forgot to mention that in Spring 2012, Camilla Tominey also compared them not telling the press Lupo's name to the Abdication Crisis of 1936.

Last edited:
Lol, I totally forgot about that one. In 1936, the British press totally covered up reporting about Mrs Simpsons while it was being reported in the rest of the world especially the US. Compare that to a dog's name that she told to a sick kid instead of the press.

I thought Kate looked really starstrucked meeting Beyonce and Jay Z. I thought Kate looked more nervous than normal during this trip. The nature of this tour was nothing like their previous tours where they where there for a few weeks.

I amazed that they ever leave the house. With Kate everything she says, wears, body language, hairstyle, etc... is scrutinized and commented on from people all other the world who don't know her and mostly likely never meet her. I would be in a ball somewhere.

I really don't think Camilla Tominey is unfairly attacking William and Catherine. I may not totally agree with her, but I understand what she's getting at though.

The Cambridges are not celebrities, so they don't need to act as if they are. Honestly, if this couple was anything like Beyoncé and Jay-Z, I'd lose respect for them. They're in a league that the two rap stars couldn't handle, and that's that. The Cambridges have class, and charisma, so I don't see a need for them to 'loosen up'. Their great personalities shine when, and where it counts most. Who cares if they're not seen as 'cool' by the likes of this obnoxious reporter and the two rappers?

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

It was bound to start eventually, wasn't it? It brings me back to when the press started in on Charles and Diana's marriage, and we know that the press comment certainly didn't help there. William and Kate are much stronger as a couple, fortunately.

Although I do believe it was a tongue in cheek kinda thing, I had to laugh at the title of one article I read. Simply stated Willam and Kate split up in USA.
The article was just referring to William being in DC while Kate was in NYC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom