General News for the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge 1: January 2013-December 2014

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Seriously?!

Um, OK. I was a little put off by this comment; I'm not saying that you have to agree with me as we all have different opinions, but perhaps you could've just said that you disagree with me instead. This is an international opinion forum, so there are bound to be comments that we totally disagree with, as well as comments that we do agree with. I'm not telling you how to post as we can of course all post freely, it's just how this comment made me feel.

For every time the DM has referred to Kate as 'stunning' or praised the 'Kate effect' on clothes etc. there are many, many sly, snide, derogatory articles by the DM about Kate and her family. They are very hard on Kate a lot of the time because they know articles about her and her family will generate hits and comments like almost nothing else. The only thing that gets DM readers going more than a good attack article aimed at Kate are the time-honoured DM attack articles aimed at immigrants.

Perhaps I should've added the word "recently" to my post.

For the vast majority of people in the UK, Mary and Letizia et al are pretty much unknown. The DM has had a few articles about them recently because the W&K wedding and Diamond Jubilee has prompted a bit more interest on the site in royalty generally. The British press and public know almost nothing about royals in other countries.

Well, I'm from the UK too and have never lived anywhere else, my family is also from the UK so of course I know that royals such as Mary and Letizia are unknown to the average person. Most of my friends are unaware of the more 'minor' members of 'our' RF too, e.g. one of my friends used to believe that Princess Anne was HM's sister until she met her. The Daily Mail actually have had more articles about the European Royals recently, they've become massive fans of Letizia and Maxima as they're the royals that feature in that paper the most.

Last edited:
The Daily Mail actually have had more articles about the European Royals recently, they've become massive fans of Letizia and Maxima as they're the royals that feature in that paper the most.

Might it be because they have both recently become Queens and are relatively young? :flowers:

Last edited:
Let's stay on actual topic...news and information for the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge.

Always said he looked like Mike Middleton. Never understood the 'looks like Father/Charles/Queen/Diana' stuff ever.

Some royal watchers are determined to see a bit of Windsor/Spencer in him. It's like in-laws who insist a child looks like their side, etc.

I agree that he has always been a clone of Mike Middleton, even his body type is the same. Thanks heavens, it's nice to see some new blood injected in that clan.

I think he does have the charisma of his Uncle Harry and his grandmother Diana. He will be a charismatic figure and not simply famous for his position.

Wow - I would never have thought, that QEII would set foot in THAT house, where Middletons are staying

*irony of*

They could also write an articel about the Queen getting up in the morning and having breakfast, after or bevor brushing her teeth ... -

Just an intelligent guess ... nothing more.

County youngsters sing for the Duchess of Cambridge | Prestonpans, Cockenzie & Port Seton | News | East Lothian Courier
YOUNGSTERS from Prestonpans Infant School sang for the Duchess of Cambridge at the launch of the Place2Be Awards at Kensington Palace last week.

The school’s P3 choir appeared in a video which was shown at the start of the awards ceremony, singing and dancing with their rendition of Stronger.

The awards by the children’s mental health charity recognise the work of schools who help support children and use Place2Be to draw up programmes to help those most in need.

That's such sad news. My heart goes out to her family.

I just heard about this and...:(

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

I remember seeing her getting that hug, my heart goes out to her family and know that she is now with the angels in heaven resting peacefully.

It's soo sad :(. She is the second child linked to Kate who has died in a month or two...

Very sad to hear. May Diamond Rest in Peace.

Prince George loves playing iPad games, Duke of Cambridge reveals - Telegraph
Previous generations of royal babies would have been playing with building blocks, riding a rocking horse or perhaps driving a custom-made pedal car at the age of 16 months.

But Prince George, like toddlers up and down the country, prefers to play electronic games on an iPad, the Duke of Cambridge has revealed.

The Duke chatted about his son’s play habits on a visit to the Empire State Building in New York, where he was presenting awards for innovation.

Mr and Mrs Bland! The Mail disagrees. But JAN MOIR says she is disappointed in Kate and William... because their American tour proves just how DULL the royal couple have become-
JAN MOIR says she's so disappointed in Kate and Wills | Daily Mail Online

I understand what Jan Moir is saying and Camilla Tominey's frustrations but I'm always told the main reasons why William and Catherine appear boring sometimes is because they're not the current Prince & Princess of Wales and don't won't to appear stepping on Charles and Camilla's toes. I personally think Charles and Camilla don't mind what the Cambridge's do but that's what others think.

I think William and Catherine can be very exciting and you can see the excitement from all the young kids they meet and the buzz we all get when they're out on official engagements. There are times they can appear a bit boring by not saying anything really interesting in speeches and they sometimes look a little less royal but I think those are areas they can approve in. I still like them though.

Catherine could do more speeches. She'll only get better at it if she's doing more of them. Although, we all know her focus is on her growing family, I still think she could be given a more prominent royal within the "Firm." I'd like to see her getting more involved with her own military regiments and taking on some more charitable causes.

Pretty sad state of affairs in a family tht has air Miles Andy, rampant divorce and a Princess of Wales that can't be called Princess of Wales, William and Kate get labelled the disappointments.

I can see the whole thing ending with the Queen

The press is very biased and it is always looking for scandals and bad news; when the don't find it the complain ... With this said I know that I am in the minority but I don't see any sponataneous gesture coming from Kate... Maybe it's her attitude in front of the cameras but to me she comes across, and I'll repeat: that my opinion and not a general truth, as very stiff in the public and her words seem prepared, studied and and not natural.... During some of her engagements I see that she just ask the questions that were prepared for her and that's it... It is amost she is afraid of adding something, and this attitude can maybe be misunderstood as disinterest or worst: as fake... This are however my impressions and I know that her many supporters are going to disagree with me... I tried to watch many videos but sorry, cannot find spontaneity... To give her credit: she looked more lively and involved in November, during the reception at L'anima...

Last edited:
What the newspapers want and what normal people want are different things. The papers would love to go back to the scandal of late 80s and 90s where the Wales were fighting it out in the papers.

William and Kate are boring for the papers and that's okay. Because not boring is sleeping around, falling out drunk from clubs, etc.

Look at the Queen vs Princess Margaret - the Queen is the boring one. She isn't clubbing or mingling with Mick Jagger or having affairs. But are you glad that she was the eldest instead of Margaret.

William is the 2nd in line. He can't change the monarchy from his position. He can do more when he is Prince of Wales because of the money from the Duchy of Cornwall that he can put to various charity causes.

And what is not looking Royal enough? The days of Victoria driving past in the carriage and not talking to the people are long gone. The royals have to interact with the public and everything I read about people who have interacted with the Cambridges is how nice they are, how they put other people at easy, how they care about the causes they are supporting and ask informed questions.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

The press is very biased and it is always looking for scandals and bad news; when the don't find it the complain ... With this said I know that I am in the minority but I don't see any sponataneous gesture coming from Kate... Maybe it's her attitude in front of the cameras but to me she comes across, and I'll repeat: that my opinion and not a general truth, as very stiff in the public and her words seem prepared, studied and and not natural.... During some of her engagements I see that she just ask the questions that were prepared for her and that's it... It is amost she is afraid of adding something, and this attitude can maybe be misunderstood as disinterest or worst: as fake... This are however my impressions and I know that her many supporters are going to disagree with me... I tried to watch many videos but sorry, cannot find spontaneity... To give her credit: she looked more lively and involved in November, during the reception at L'anima...

I don't know, from what I understand, Catherine is very chatty when she's on official engagements. People who have met her on official engagements have said that she's very chatty and really engage with them. She's usually the one that takes a great deal of time in the receiving lines because she's pretty much busy having an actual conversation with the people she's meeting. That's pretty much natural and not prepared.

I don't think anyone want juicy stories and drama from the Cambridge's. I think some people and members of the media want to see more of a power couple from William and Catherine. Although they are in different positions, I think the Cambridge's have the potential to be like the power royal couples: the Crown Prince & Crown Princess of Denmark, Victoria and Daniel or Crown Prince & Crown Princess of Norway.

I don't know, from what I understand, Catherine is very chatty when she's on official engagements. People who have met her on official engagements have said that she's very chatty and really engage with them. She's usually the one that takes a great deal of time in the receiving lines because she's pretty much busy having an actual conversation with the people she's meeting. That's pretty much natural and not prepared.

I don't think anyone want juicy stories and drama from the Cambridge's. I think some people and members of the media want to see more of a power couple from William and Catherine. Although they are in different positions, I think the Cambridge's have the potential to be like the power royal couples: the Crown Prince & Crown Princess of Denmark, Victoria and Daniel or Crown Prince & Crown Princess of Norway.

I can give my opinion only basing on what I see... The core I see is this: I don't see any improvements... Both of them (especially Kate though) have been in a "steady" situations form more than 3 years.... That is what I'm feeling...:ermm:

This tweet to me pretty summarizes it all IMO (Mind that this person have always been a monarchy supporter):

Martin @CourtierUK · 3 h 3 ore fa

Kate’s being criticised, not victimised. Put simply, the ‘magic’ she rode on back of for last 3 years is fading, KP & fans need to see that.

I party agree with him... and I look at the comments and can't help thinking the same...

i think it might be wise to point out something I've noticed lately. When posting links to various different articles, a lot of time people are posting them in more than one thread and this generates conversations about the same thing in two or three or more different threads and makes more work for our moderators to clean up and put all the conversation in one place.

Please take notice of this and when posting, it might be wiser to limit it to one thread only. Easier to move a post rather than move a whole gaggle of them and make the conversation run smoothly in one place.

Also, it might help to read through the threads first and see if an article and link may already be posted somewhere as to also avoid confusion.

Last edited:
I can give my opinion only basing on what I see... The core I see is this: I don't see any improvements... Both of them (especially Kate though) have been in a "steady" situations form more than 3 years.... That is what I'm feeling...:ermm:

This tweet to me pretty summarizes it all IMO (Mind that this person have always been a monarchy supporter):

Martin @CourtierUK · 3 h 3 ore fa

Kate’s being criticised, not victimised. Put simply, the ‘magic’ she rode on back of for last 3 years is fading, KP & fans need to see that.

I party agree with him... and I look at the comments and can't help thinking the same...

I agree that she could be doing more. Also, I don't think anyone is putting any harsh criticism on Catherine. I think it's perfectly natural for royal watchers and members of the media to expect more from her at this point. The ball really isn't completely in her court though. I think a great deal of people got confused on William's 'transitional' year and was expecting he and Catherine to do a great deal more within the transition. They went on tour but I think people had a different outlook on what the transition would be. I know I was expecting more.

She could be doing more speeches on the causes and issues she's passionate about. She'll get better at the speeches the more she do them...William did. I'd like to see her take a honorary role within the royal regiments. I liked when she went of official engagements with The Queen. She hasn't done an outing with The Queen in a while. Also, I think all of us would like to see George because we haven't seen him for a while.

i think it might be wise to point out something I've noticed lately. When posting links to various different articles, a lot of time people are posting them in more than one thread and this generates conversations about the same thing in two or three or more different threads and makes more work for our moderators to clean up and put all the conversation in one place.

Please take notice of this and when posting, it might be wiser to limit it to one thread only. Easier to move a post rather than move a whole gaggle of them and make the conversation run smoothly in one place.

Also, it might help to read through the threads first and see if an article and link may already be posted somewhere as to also avoid confusion.

I think this is the right thread for the article and conversation.

Last edited:
If I've come across as being overly critical, my humblest apologies. I was just noticing that the conversation about the "dull" and "boring" Cambridges DM article was in two different threads. Sometimes these things can and do fit into several categories and it happens. No right or wrong thing done and really just a little thing but thought I'd mention it.

@Dman: I agree with you that when we see Kate out and about conversing with people, she really gets into it. She's had to be nudged quite a few times to move it along when on a walkabout. I think she genuinely likes people, likes meeting them and interacting especially with children.

@Marty I think, with Kate, there most likely would have been more she would have been involved with had she not started a family (or they already had their family established). Its just that having an adult heir to the heir is a very uncommon thing. Team Cambridge have to carve out their own place in the royal pecking order and establish themselves and figure out what they do and where they fit best. Its kind of like Charles as The Prince of Wales had to come up with and implement his own role as PoW. From my perspective, I think Wills&Kate&Harry have been doing tremendously well with the things they have taken on even to the point of getting global involvement with some of the things their Royal Foundation is sponsoring. They've not been accused yet really of trying to overshadow Charles and Camilla but we see William gradually stepping in and doing investitures and he'll be representing his monarch in China in the near future. And to think that on top of that, he'll be working air ambulance in East Anglia which I think is an awesome way to serve the people. I think they have a pretty full life and the expected new royal arrival in April will make it even more so.

Osipi: I understand their unique position but dunno, it almost feel like no progress has been made so far... And like Dman said, all that ill-managed "transitional" year didn't help either... I think Kate should find what her inclinations are and fcous on few causes and having a full immersion... and yes, definetely improve her speech skils...

Last edited:
What the newspapers want and what normal people want are different things. The papers would love to go back to the scandal of late 80s and 90s where the Wales were fighting it out in the papers.

William and Kate are boring for the papers and that's okay. Because not boring is sleeping around, falling out drunk from clubs, etc.

Look at the Queen vs Princess Margaret - the Queen is the boring one. She isn't clubbing or mingling with Mick Jagger or having affairs. But are you glad that she was the eldest instead of Margaret.

William is the 2nd in line. He can't change the monarchy from his position. He can do more when he is Prince of Wales because of the money from the Duchy of Cornwall that he can put to various charity causes.

And what is not looking Royal enough? The days of Victoria driving past in the carriage and not talking to the people are long gone. The royals have to interact with the public

everything I read about people who have interacted with the Cambridges is how nice they are, how they put other people at easy, how they care about the causes they are supporting and ask informed questions.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

I think the writer is suggesting that they embrace the role in a more whole hearted way, in the vein of Victoria of Sweden perhaps. I agree with this journalist, I know exactly what she means.

Yeah, I think everyone (or least I do) want to see them embrace their royal duties in a wholehearted way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom