General News for the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge 1: January 2013-December 2014

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Usually the oldest doesn't wear hand me downs ...unless they have a cousin or friend of the family with an older boy...or the mom shops at thrift shops.

LaRae

Could you imagine the out-cry if the Duke and Duchess dressed the 3rd in line with clothes from a thrift store! People would complain about how cheap they were.

I was hoping that he was wearing some old things of William or Harry. If you put clean baby clothing away, it can still be used decades later. I never suggested that it would come from a thrift shop. Even well-to-do people are happy to use hand me downs- sometimes a baby or toddler outgrows things after a single wearing. Incidentally, I did come upon a picture of Harry wearing similar overalls- but they had a bluebird or something appliqued on the front. I think it would be endearing for the third in line to wear his dad's or uncle's or cousin's old clothing. Maybe even something of James Middleton's... It's amazing how many mothers tuck those tiny little garments away, 'just in case'. Incidentally, I saw a comment on some story the other day saying 'why do they dress him like Little Lord Fauntleroy?'!

It would be completely normal for him to wear hand-me-downs if he had an older sibling or a cousin who wasn't too much older than him. I wouldn't be surprised to have seen Isla in her sisters hand me downs, or perhaps Mia in some of her cousins' old outfits (assuming that Peter and Autumn saved the clothes, which they might not have if they decided they were done after Isla was born). But for George to be wearing 30 year old hand-me downs is a bit of a stretch. Those clothes would be hugely outdated by now. If memory serves, the outfits that William and Harry wore as babies were a bit dated even 30 years ago. Why would they save clothes for 30 years when they would have been better off donating them once Diana and Charles decided they were done having children.

Could you imagine the out-cry if the Duke and Duchess dressed the 3rd in line with clothes from a thrift store! People would complain about how cheap they were.

I'm not sure what outcry there would be, I doubt very much that anyone would discover they were from what we call charity shops. Catherine can shops where she likes, she can buy whatever she thinks will suit or fit George.

For the first couple of years, a child is growing by leaps and bounds and what fit yesterday is too small next week. I would think that folks would think it sensible to dress a little one in hand me downs and inexpensive clothing. For all we know too, when George is at home, he may be just running around in t-shirt an diapers like my kids did.

I would imagine that when there is a baby #2, we will see that child dressed in many of the same outfits we're now seeing George in. Then again, we might not. If there is to be a public event where the child would be, it wouldn't be unusual to have a "special" outfit just for that occasion.

I don't understand that comment about dressing George like little Lord F., he is being dressed in a very traditional manner. (What's new?) Do people expect camouflage pants and T shirt with advertisement on it? The same comments are made about the way Lady Louise is dressed and she too, is dressed in a very traditional manner, no spangles etc., heels. Thank Goodness!!!

I wondered about that remark too! And I think it referred to the striped overalls, which seem perfectly ordinary. The only outfit I've seen that looked a little ---well, not sure what word to use---was the poufy shorts he wore in either Australia or New Zealand.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not sure what outcry there would be, I doubt very much that anyone would discover they were from what we call charity shops. Catherine can shops where she likes, she can buy whatever she thinks will suit or fit George.

I can think of a few people on this board for starters who would decry Kate and William for trying to be "normal."

It would be completely normal for him to wear hand-me-downs if he had an older sibling or a cousin who wasn't too much older than him. I wouldn't be surprised to have seen Isla in her sisters hand me downs, or perhaps Mia in some of her cousins' old outfits (assuming that Peter and Autumn saved the clothes, which they might not have if they decided they were done after Isla was born). But for George to be wearing 30 year old hand-me downs is a bit of a stretch. Those clothes would be hugely outdated by now. If memory serves, the outfits that William and Harry wore as babies were a bit dated even 30 years ago. Why would they save clothes for 30 years when they would have been better off donating them once Diana and Charles decided they were done having children.
A couple of weeks ago I was at a family party and they had come from near and far. My niece's little girl was wearing the cutest pair of jeggings and a beautifully smocked viyella long sleeved top/dress that had belonged to her cousin 35 years ago. Her aunt gave it and many other beautiful little girl's clothes to her because her daughter only had boys.

A lot of baby clothes definitely have family history. And let's face it, people pay a lot of money for smocked baby and toddler clothes, especially for girls and they last because they don't wear them long.

Please note that all regarding the personality of Prince George have been deleted as speculative.

Any and all additional posts have been deleted without notice.

Emily Andrews @byEmilyAndrews · 10m
PWilliam spent his 32nd birthday with Kate, George....and the in-laws. Carole & Mike celebrated with Cambridges at Anmer Hall this weekend.

General News and Information for the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Plus the 21st was Mike and Carole's wedding anniversary and today is Mike's 65th birthday.

Oh, Happy Birthday to Michael Middleton.

Plus the 21st was Mike and Carole's wedding anniversary and today is Mike's 65th birthday.

All the occasions make for a very special family weekend. Hopefully someone got a good shot of George eating birthday/anniversary/birthday cake!

All the occasions make for a very special family weekend. Hopefully someone got a good shot of George eating birthday/anniversary/birthday cake!

If he's anything like my Great Nephew Parker, then there was cake *everywhere*!! My Niece is still trying to figure out how cake ended up on the side of their ceiling fan blades that face the ceiling. And that was from his second birthday party last week!!

Happy Birthday and Anniversary to all who celebrated at Amner this past weekend!! What a special time for them all.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

George looks so much like William.

It doesn't necessarily mean a long wait. The queen is 88, Philip is 93 so in 5 years, that is 93 and 98. William as the heir apparent isn't that far away. Also the Danish queen is more closer to Charles age wise than the Queen. As next in line, Charles is in the same position as a couple of little girls in Spain and Holland but that doesn't really mean anything.
Startling numbers - when you lay it out. The Queen Mother did make it to be over 100 - so the time frame could be more 10 to 12 years, even as many as 15. I've decided I like the abdication route we've seen so much of now. The changeover happens not in a cloud of grief. However, I understand it will not happen with Queen Elizabeth. Different country - different sensibilities. :flowers:

...so basically it seems that one rabid newspaper and a number of bonkers journos who work for it is making waves...PS I look at all papers except DM and The Star (more than tacky) most days.
Good to be reminded - it's like (here in the US) getting one's staple of news facts from The National Enquirer or The Globe or The Star located at supermarket check-out stands. :ermm:

Any idea when (or if) Kate and William will attend Wimbledon. Since they got married she only missed last year cause of her pregnancy.

I was thinking maybe they will attend on Monday or maybe men's 1/4 final day on wednesday.

Kate has a school visit on July 1 and William will be in Scotland on the 3 and both of then plus Harry on the 5 for the Tour de France kickoff so Monday seems the best bet. Her parents went today and her siblings yesterday.

Posts discussing the renovations at KP have been moved to the Cambridge Residences thread in the Royal Residences subforum.

William and Kate aren't humble - they're a pair of spoiled kids wasting YOUR money - Carole Malone - Mirror Online

If the rich have money, what else are they gonna do?

1) Spend it;
2) Or leave it behind for the next generation!

I'm not sure that's the point of the article. It's about taxpayer money - not independent wealth. It's a curious bit of spin - for some reason it's been decided that the Cambridges are ripe for some bad press. The poll claims 69% do not think the royals are worth taxpayers' money - 31% do. Republican rumble - or just a slow news day?

The poll claims 69% do not think the royals are worth taxpayers' money - 31% do. Republican rumble - or just a slow news day?

The poll is a self-selected sample of readers of a particular article. It's not a meaningful representation of overall public opinion.

In regards to the rash of recent articles on how much of the "taxpayers" money is used to do necessary work on Kensington Palace, could someone correct my thinking here?

Its my understanding that the funding for the repairs such as the roof, removal of asbestos and structural work is funded by the Sovereign Grant which is given to the Queen from the profits of the Crown Estates correct? Where then do they figure that the taxes the people pay are figured into this all?

(walks away shaking her head confused)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom