General News for the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge 1: January 2013-December 2014

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
As they are now on their way, cant we open up the Tour thread?

Why do you assume the dog will go to the Middletons? William has parents too.

Who have a couple of Jack Russells and those are pretty hyper dogs who need to be constantly doing something. From what's been observed over the years, Lupo is pretty laid back, as Cocker Spaniels typically are. It wouldn't shock me to hear Lupo's w/The Middletons while the Family's gone. Just simply due to it being the better place for him to go both due to the Jack Russells and there would be far more freedom for Lupo to run around at the Farm than at Clarence House.

I believe Lupo has stayed with the Middletons before. Didn't he stay with them while the Cambridges were with the Royal Family for Christmas? And maybe once before that?

Who have a couple of Jack Russells and those are pretty hyper dogs who need to be constantly doing something. From what's been observed over the years, Lupo is pretty laid back, as Cocker Spaniels typically are. It wouldn't shock me to hear Lupo's w/The Middletons while the Family's gone. Just simply due to it being the better place for him to go both due to the Jack Russells and there would be far more freedom for Lupo to run around at the Farm than at Clarence House.

I think Clarence House has large gardens but I'm not sure. Besides, Highgrove has lots of room and plenty of staff so even if Charles & Camilla are in London there would be people to look after a dog.

As for the jack Russells, Lupo might be used to them depending on how often they visit.

As Charles & Camilla are clearly dog lovers they would be ideal to look after an extra.

The reason I think Lupo would be with Mike and Carole is that they don't have the busy schedule that Prince Charles has and would actually look after him instead of the servants. Plus he has spent several weeks with them before when George was a newborn and probably the last royal tour. Also Lupo's mum is the Middleton's dog so he is their grand dog :)

:previous:
I just read a car seat nowadays should be rear facing up to the age of two. I think in the UK now it's recommended to up to the age of one.

In NSW, where George will be in a week or so, it is rear-facing mandatory to six months and then either with rear-facing definitely recommended.

Yeah, we use Skype too when on holiday, but there's just nothing quite like scooping a little one up in your arms and giving them a big kiss. One of the few things the internet can't do for us, yet.

To those who are in the know on these things, who are you all following on twitter for updates etc? Clarence House doesn't tweet an awful lot. Who's worth keeping an eye on?

There are a few that are really good about updating. I follow - RoyalReporter, SkyNewsRoyal, Britishroyals, RegalEyes, HRHDuchesskate and WhatKateWore (for fashion).

Last edited:
The people of Australia may not have knowledge of or interest in the royal visit, as we've been told, but the same cannot be said of the Kiwis! The Governor General's Facebook page is seeing traffic rising at 250% per week since he started posting details of the visit. Lest anyone assume otherwise, the vast majority of these new users of the GG's page are from NZ itself.

Governor-General's online popularity surge | Stuff.co.nz

I skimmed the article, and admittedly have had a few glasses of wine with friends this evening so forgive my computations - I'm sure I'll be proven wrong by someone sober... but about 3,000 have liked or talked about the GG's page. Then I googled "population of New Zealand" and came up with 4.33 million or thereabouts. So this 250% surge either means that people are extremely interested in Will and Kate, or extremely uninterested in the GG of New Zealand - it all depends on what the number was before.. and after.

But earlier in the day I googled New Zealand Herald (which I read every now and again, believe it or not)... and the top story on Will and Kate was a piece on Kate's wardrobe ... 1 facebook share and 2 tweets about the article - hardly sounds like the people of NZ are interested, although granted, was about 7 a.m their time on Sunday morning. Nor sure how many more shared or tweets occurred as day wore on.

So I believe I Luv Bertie is about right - most people Down Under just don't care.

The reason I think Lupo would be with Mike and Carole is that they don't have the busy schedule that Prince Charles has and would actually look after him instead of the servants. Plus he has spent several weeks with them before when George was a newborn and probably the last royal tour. Also Lupo's mum is the Middleton's dog so he is their grand dog :)

Thank you for explaining Skippyboo. I wasn't aware the Middletons had a dog or it's relationship with W & K's dog. Your reasoning makes a lot of sense.

I skimmed the article, and admittedly have had a few glasses of wine with friends this evening so forgive my computations - I'm sure I'll be proven wrong by someone sober... but about 3,000 have liked or talked about the GG's page. Then I googled "population of New Zealand" and came up with 4.33 million or thereabouts. So this 250% surge either means that people are extremely interested in Will and Kate, or extremely uninterested in the GG of New Zealand - it all depends on what the number was before.. and after.

But earlier in the day I googled New Zealand Herald (which I read every now and again, believe it or not)... and the top story on Will and Kate was a piece on Kate's wardrobe ... 1 facebook share and 2 tweets about the article - hardly sounds like the people of NZ are interested, although granted, was about 7 a.m their time on Sunday morning. Nor sure how many more shared or tweets occurred as day wore on.

So I believe I Luv Bertie is about right - most people Down Under just don't care.

You are not so inebriated that very logical statistics have ceased to make sense. The numbers don't add up in this article, and the idea that they suggest that there really isn't that much interest Down Under is a logical conclusion if you just look at the population of New Zealand vs. the number of likes on this Facebook page.

Looking at some other Facebook pages - the GGs of Canada and Australia - none of them seem to have any sizeable following. I think these pages just aren't really what people follow on Facebook. If people are following politics related pages, they're inclined to follow the actual political parties or politicians, not the office of the GG.

Thanks...

Sun lion, I think a Scandinavian teepee is what Pippa used for a New Year's Eve party at the Middleton home couple of years ago. It was a big tent made of reindeer hides.

I guess we will see in a couple of weeks.

Thanks for keeping us up to date with the latest news from down under.

Thanks Skippyboo - poor reindeer - Sun Lion.

Apparently, it prevents the clothes from wrinkling:

Folding with Tissue Paper
We learned a trick a while ago where folding shirts and slacks with a piece of tissue paper or plastic bag in the middle can help to reduce wrinkles. This happens because the slippery texture reduces the friction on the fabric, However, unless you have several layers of something in the middle of the fold, you will still end up with creases of sorts from the folds.

Day 14: How to Prevent Wrinkles - Her Packing List

Thanks cinrit - I thought they were just being "posh" or traditional. Might try it instead of rolling my clothes into sausages - Sun Lion.

Yeah, we use Skype too when on holiday, but there's just nothing quite like scooping a little one up in your arms and giving them a big kiss. One of the few things the internet can't do for us, yet.

To those who are in the know on these things, who are you all following on twitter for updates etc? Clarence House doesn't tweet an awful lot. Who's worth keeping an eye on?

I've bookmarked Richard Palmer and Rob Jobson's twitters for the Tour PetticoatLane, but I think I'll be seeing so much on TV - especially when they're in Australia and there is live reporting, I won't be using twitter much - Sun Lion.

Just to let you know SunLion, you can quote more than 1 post at the same time it's the little "" button next to the quote button".

You can also edit previous posts within the 24 hours of posting them I think, means you're not posting 6 separate posts in the space of 3 hours.

Thanks again for your help Lumutqueen - appreciated - Sun Lion.

Last edited:
I notice there is no mention whatsoever of William & Kate on either of Sydney's two Sunday papers' web sites: the Sun-Herald and Sunday Telegraph.

This tour is going to get most of its attention in the morning TV shows and women's magazines. People who watch/read these media sources are going to think the tour is a big deal but I think that people who don't will pay little if any attention.

In NSW, where George will be in a week or so, it is rear-facing mandatory to six months and then either with rear-facing definitely recommended.

Hi Iluvbertie - I think the Plunket people, (who fitted PG's car seat,and who are the Plunket people that have an event with the Duke and Duchess), had previously officially advised New Zealand's children to face the rear until they are two years old.

Then the photo came out of the lady fitting the seat front facing.

People descended on the poor Plunket's facebook saying all sorts of things.

It then had to come out that the seat was sent out from the UK, and that the seat direction was a request from Kensington Palace.

Democracy in action I guess.

Once upon a time there were no visiting Royal babies, and even with Prince William's babyhood tour, we didn't see him driving about.

I saw somewhere that the Duke and Duchess are keen to have Prince George seen as much as possible -so that may be why it is front-facing.

And wherever he drives, PG is going to be pretty safe front or rear.

Cheers, Sun Lion.

I think GracieGiraffe that there will be so much media coverage we will be "made" to care. :lol:

Did you get a chance to read the article Dman posted - about this Tour vs the1983 Diana and Charles Tour?

Even back then apparently New Zealand was a "pushover" while Australia was the "craggy north face".

But what a bumper turnout Oz put on then, so maybe again we will be swept up in it all, as it gets underway

Cheers, Sun Lion.

Last edited:
I think one issue will be, as I have already stated, how hard it will be to judge at times e.g. the Good Friday visit to the show - unless considerably more that 130,000 turn up at the show that day then it would be fair to say that they aren't attracting people to see them at the show - 130,000 is the normalish figures these days so 130,000 at the show on Good Friday can't be seen as people turning out to see William and Kate - and this is the same with a couple of the other events - they are going on busy days and so it may appear that there are lots of people turning out to see them when, in fact, these people would be there anyway - good propaganda but not necessarily reflective of the real situation.

This is what happened with Harry's trip last year when there were reports of around 1000000 people turning out to see Harry - when in fact they turned out to see the naval review and would have gone without Harry being there - looks good back home but in reality wasn't that big a deal on the ground here.

There will be crowds, of course but be careful with the figures and sizes is all I am saying.

Another Double-Page Spread In Today's Sunday Telegraph Roslyn.

I notice there is no mention whatsoever of William & Kate on either of Sydney's two Sunday papers' web sites: the Sun-Herald and Sunday Telegraph.

This tour is going to get most of its attention in the morning TV shows and women's magazines. People who watch/read these media sources are going to think the tour is a big deal but I think that people who don't will pay little if any attention.

There was another double-page spread in today's Sunday Telegraph Roslyn - after yesterday's double-page feature about their night in the outback.

I didn't post anything from today's paper as I think TRFs is a bit ahead of a printed newspaper, and there was nothing "new" in it.

It had several photos, the timetable, some things about PG.

Cheers, Sun Lion.

There was another double-page spread in today's Sunday Telegraph Roslyn - after yesterday's double-page feature about their night in the outback.

I didn't post anything from today's paper as I think TRFs is a bit ahead of a printed newspaper, and there was nothing "new" in it.

It had several photos, the timetable, some things about PG.

Cheers, Sun Lion.

Thanks, Sun Lion. I didn't find a reference to that on the web site. :flowers:

The website isn't including everything in the printed editions and as both the SMH and the Tele require you to pay for most of their articles (the 30 per month rule with the SMH is a joke - I have had it come after only 2 articles in one month - same with the Tele - 5 a week - can get that on the first article for the week) so not that well covered.

RoyalKateDebate ‏@RoyalKateDebate 1h
Will, Kate & Harry expected at Guy Pelly's wedding in Memphis, TN, May 3rd. Beatrice, Eugenie & Cressida also expected via Sunday Times

The wedding is the Saturday after the Cambridges get back from Australia. I would be surprised if they went considering it is in the states which would mean a 10 hr flight to America.

Wasn't it the Sunday Times who had all of George's godparents wrong and that William was going from the RAF to a desk job with the Household Calvary?

Well, if you say the people of NZ aren't interested, then that must surely be the case. Clearly there's only one option open to the Cambridges at this point:

William/Kate or member of their staff, on the off-chance you happen to be reading this, only 1 person shared a New Zealand Herald article about you on Facebook, so clearly your visit is pointless. Just come home now, no point wasting the time, effort and money when you're only getting one Facebook share and two tweets. Posters here on TRF, after lengthy polling and considered research, have come to the educated conclusion that no-one's interested in you there. The Aussies and Kiwis won't even notice you didn't show. Seriously, come home now before Prince George's internal clock goes completely bonkers.

Last edited:
I was sorting around the British Monarchy's website, and clicked on the page about the biography of Camilla. Interesting. Her father was "Major Bruce Middleton Hope Shand". Coincidence? Any connection? Has anyone read anything about this?

I was sorting around the British Monarchy's website, and clicked on the page about the biography of Camilla. Interesting. Her father was "Major Bruce Middleton Hope Shand". Coincidence? Any connection? Has anyone read anything about this?

Here's another coincidence: Diana's mother's name after her second marriage was Shand Kydd. I wonder if all the courtiers have been marrying amongst themselves for a few centuries?

Here's another coincidence: Diana's mother's name after her second marriage was Shand Kydd. I wonder if all the courtiers have been marrying amongst themselves for a few centuries?

None of them are related - Middletons, Shands or Shand Kydd.

I decided to post this here as the article talks about the Cambridge's New Zealand/Australia tour staff, although if the Moderators think that this belongs in the tour's thread rather than here, please feel free to move.

The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge landed in Wellington today accompanied by an entourage of staff including Prince George's new nanny, Maria Teresa Turrion Borrallo, 43.

Hired less than a month ago, the Spaniard was pictured today for the first time with the royal party as she got off the Royal New Zealand Air Force jet.

Also there to help the Cambridges on their three-week tour of New Zealand were Kate's private hairdresser, two private secretaries, a personal assistant, and a former British ambassador to Washington who is there to advise the royal couple.

But despite having to coordinate around 32 changes of dress during the trip to New Zealand and Spain, the duchess has not taken a dresser, preferring to organise her wardrobe herself.

Cambridge and Co: Kate and William land in New Zealand with Prince George flanked by entourage including new Spanish nanny and Duchess's personal hairdresser | Mail Online

I have a question for our Australian friends.
In the article about Mia, and Bear Cottage in the DM, it said there was one other children's hospice in Australia. What's it called, and how did bear Cottage get chosen?

The other hospice is in Melbourne which WK aren't visiting on this tour but they are going to Sydney area where Bear Cottage is.

I read that the other hospice- hummingbird house- is actually in Brisbane.
Do you think William and Kate made a private visit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom