General News for the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge 1: January 2013-December 2014

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Costs Of Tour - Large Media.

Yesterday I was reading about how much the Royal Tour of New Zealand was going to cost the taxpayers of that country.

Someone was quoting a million dollars a day - based on the one hundred thousand dollars per hour cost, to cover all the arrangements involved.

Today I read about the media numbers involved, who will be following the Duke and Duchess around.

People from Japan, the U.S., Australians in New Zealand, the UK.

Maybe such a large contingent - and their food, travel and lodging costs - will offset the tax bill! :lol: So many.

Cheers, Sun Lion.

Last edited:
School Children To Watch W & C Having Fun.

It sounds a bit odd, but they seem happy about it -

The Duke of Cambridge was unable to visit a school when he was last in New Zealand.

To make up for it, a group of children from there have been invited to watch he and the Duchess enjoy the ride on the Shotover Jet.

It seems they will get to meet the Royal Couple before or after, so that would be a thrill for them, but I bet they would like to be on the boat ride and not just watching really.

Details are online under "Arrowtown students get chance to meet Duke and Duchess".

(I'm on my tablet and can't attach links.)

Cheers, Sun Lion.

"Only The Sandy Carpet For Royal Family".

I'm not a facebooker, but there is a Facebook site for Manly Beach.

It looks like they are getting ready for the arrival of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge.

There are bound to be photos of the surf life-saving event with W & C.

Sun Lion.

P.S. Bear Cottage - also in Manly - has been getting ready for their Royal visitors by having afternoon tea parties and garden parties.

Everybody is getting ready here in Oz.

One of the TV channels put together a package about W & C's romance and screened it at least twice today that I saw - morning and early evening.

So what you say - well, they did start it with a clip from the Walt Disney "Cinderella" animated movie - remember that.

Oh dear - hope the Duke and Duchess aren't feeling the pressure to meet the expectations being built up.

Last edited:
Limit On Number Of People To See W & C In Canberra.

Thank goodness I live in Sydney - I just rolled up last October to see the Danish Crown Prince Couple, along with whoever else wanted to.

But apparently there was a ballot when they were in Canberra at the National Arboretum in 2011, and this is what is happening for W and C's visit.

Only a lucky fifty will be allowed to watch the Duke and Duchess plant a tree.

Two hundred other lucky ones will be allowed to see them land at the airport.

(Yet, CP Mary and CP Frederik of Denmark's ballot allowed five hundred to watch their tree-planting.)

Cheers, Sun Lion.

P.S.If you miss out on being drawn out of the ballot to watch the tree-planting, don't worry. You will be allowed to go along later in the day when it's all over, and look at the tree!

(Pity the tree won't be able to let you know how it all went though.)

Last edited:
Sun Lion, thank you so much for giving us here a flavour of the preparations underway for the upcoming visit. You're so diligent in keeping us up to date.

On that note, I wonder if perhaps it might not be time to open the tour thread for these kinds of posts? I think the Cambridges are departing tomorrow (Saturday 5 April in the UK)? Maybe we'll see pictures of them getting on the plane as we did for the Canada tour.

W & C's "Glamping" Experience Gets Double Page Spread Today.

Today's Sydney newspaper has a double-page feature - with photos - of where the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge will be staying when they have their night away from PG in the Australian outback.

Comprising fifteen canvas "tents", the resort - "Longtitude 131" if you want to check it out on the web - costs $1,100 per person, per night, and is fully booked out on the night W and C will be there.

Ayers Rock/Uluru is best viewed at sun-down and sun-up because of the changing colours it shows, and, if they don't sleep in, W and C will get to see it both times.

(Also dramatic after a heavy rain, as the water cascades down the gulleys and channels that previous downpours have carved in the sides.)

And if you didn't realise how big it is, there were trees growning on top when I climbed it back in the 1980s.

One of the photos in the newspaper shows the inside of one of the "tents". Civilized enough to have several framed pictures on the walls.

Also, you'd be using the large wooden trunk to store things overnight - who wants a lizard in their boot in the morning.

Cheers, Sun Lion.

(P.S. "Glamping" = glamorous camping if you weren't sure.)

Last edited:
Hi PetticoatLane...

Sun Lion, thank you so much for giving us here a flavour of the preparations underway for the upcoming visit. You're so diligent in keeping us up to date.

On that note, I wonder if perhaps it might not be time to open the tour thread for these kinds of posts? I think the Cambridges are departing tomorrow (Saturday 5 April in the UK)? Maybe we'll see pictures of them getting on the plane as we did for the Canada tour.

Hi PetticoatLane - it's been fun to post, and I will definitely be "retiring" after the Royal Tour.

I think people expected it to be a "big" thing, but I really think we will be in media over-load once there are things actually happening in NZ and here.

Today's newspaper is also reporting the costs of Royal Tours - with The Queen's 2011 visit costing the taxpayers here in Australia $100,000 per hour.

The National Director of the Australian Republican Movement is making the point that, although it is "right" for us to host the Royals as representatives of another country, we don't have a head of state to send back to the British taxpayers. :lol:

He mentions we have affection for Britian, but not allegiance - and that by the time Prince George is grown, he will be standing along side our on head of state.

Best Wishes, Sun Lion.

Last edited:
Lots Of People Know They Will Be Meeting W & C...

Lots of people know they will be meeting the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, as every day there are photos and personal details - names, ages, positions, or where they are from - in the papers.

All are saying they are excited and looking forward to it - as you would be.

Some "Nippers" will be meeting W and C at the Surf Life-Saving event at Manly, and some Girl Guides are getting their moment in the Blue Mountains.

("Nippers" are little children who join the surf-life savers. Best if you live in a beach suburb, as not such a journey to training etc. They will be putting on a display for the Duke and Duchess.)

Cheers All, Sun Lion.

Last edited:
Interesting discussion in my staffroom yesterday at lunchtime - a total of around 25 people present and NONE of them even knew William and Kate were coming to Australia as they have seen no coverage. After lunch we decided to do a straw poll of the kids and same result - a school of over 800 people aged from 5 - 67 and NONE knew they were coming next week besides me.

The coverage here is very, very low key. I live within walking distance, now, of the showground so would expect to hear something but nothing. The local newsagent hasn't got anything with any coverage - I asked about when the new Women's Weekly was coming in as it has George on the front cover and he said that he is expecting his monthly order of 10 on Monday and has no pre-orders over the norm - which is unusual for royal coverage. He has had no pre-orders over normal for any of the women's magazines for the next month. The local supermarket hasn't any copies yet either and normally they order an extra 20% when a royal is on the cover but they haven't ordered any extras - didn't know anything royal was happening.

As for the papers - the print editions may have something but no one I know buys the print editions anymore so a lot of that coverage isn't reaching people in my circle.

Hi Iluvbertie...

Interesting discussion in my staffroom yesterday at lunchtime - a total of around 25 people present and NONE of them even knew William and Kate were coming to Australia as they have seen no coverage. After lunch we decided to do a straw poll of the kids and same result - a school of over 800 people aged from 5 - 67 and NONE knew they were coming next week besides me.

The coverage here is very, very low key. I live within walking distance, now, of the showground so would expect to hear something but nothing. The local newsagent hasn't got anything with any coverage - I asked about when the new Women's Weekly was coming in as it has George on the front cover and he said that he is expecting his monthly order of 10 on Monday and has no pre-orders over the norm - which is unusual for royal coverage. He has had no pre-orders over normal for any of the women's magazines for the next month. The local supermarket hasn't any copies yet either and normally they order an extra 20% when a royal is on the cover but they haven't ordered any extras - didn't know anything royal was happening.

As for the papers - the print editions may have something but no one I know buys the print editions anymore so a lot of that coverage isn't reaching people in my circle.

Hi Iluvbertie - perhaps I'm watching too much telly. :lol:

Already this morning - and it's not yet 9.30am Saturday morning - I've seen -

-Princess Anne on the TV saying she has eaten horse-meat and "it's very good".

- I've been warned to brace myself for the engagement of Prince Harry and his girlfriend - as they will be getting married "sooner than anyone expects", (friends have been speaking out).

- and even the editor of the paper had something to say in his column today - he's in favour of their Royal Tour.

I checked out PG's "Women's Weekly" a few days ago - the writer, (not sure if it was the editor or someone else) - has travelled to the UK to start the Royal ball rolling.

Every and any thing Royal is getting covered.

All the daytime TV news shows will be reporting direct from the events as they happen. They blitzed CP Mary and CP Frederik of Denmark last October, and this is on a much bigger scale.

Cheers, Sun Lion.

Well, Iluvbertie, if you personally don't know anyone who's interested in the visit then William and Kate just shouldn't go. Clearly no-one's bothered.

You're not going to hear much about anything else but William & Catherine and baby George once they arrive.

Bertie, I'm surprised your local newsagent doesn't have the "Women's Weekly" with George on the cover. It has been in supermarkets up here for over a week, maybe even two.

Maybe CNN will stop some of their non stop missing plane coverage for some Max Foster royal tour coverage for us in the States. Good Morning America has pretty good royal coverage. They mentioned the Queen visiting the Pope the other day.

I don't think we will get photos of them leaving Heathrow since they are flying commercial. We didn't see any when they went to SE Asia. The Canadian tour was different since the Canadians sent an Air Force plane to pick them up.

Maybe CNN will stop some of their non stop missing plane coverage for some Max Foster royal tour coverage for us in the States. Good Morning America has pretty good royal coverage. They mentioned the Queen visiting the Pope the other day.

I don't think we will get photos of them leaving Heathrow since they are flying commercial. We didn't see any when they went to SE Asia. The Canadian tour was different since the Canadians sent an Air Force plane to pick them up.

Small chance that we may see them transfer from the commercial flight after it lands in Australia to the NZ RAF plane. There's usually someone with a camera or a phone!

I would imagine they would go to the VIP lounge at the Australian airport while all of their luggage is transferred from one plane to another. At some point, they would need to change their clothes and put on the suits and dresses for the welcome ceremony at Wellington.

Well, Iluvbertie, if you personally don't know anyone who's interested in the visit then William and Kate just shouldn't go. Clearly no-one's bothered.

That isn't what I am saying.

I am saying that they don't even know it is happening because they aren't seeing any coverage on TV or in other media outlets.

Being a school we don't have time to watch daytime TV as the students and staff are in classes and as we start at 8.10 a.m. and staff are expected to be at school at least 30 minutes before the first bell we don't have time to watch any morning talkshows either.

The point I am making is that the coverage is very sparse and of the around 800 people at my workplace NONE of them knew that William and Kate are coming.

They may hear something about it once the school holidays begin.

When I compare that situation to Mary and Frederick's visit last year - where the students were excited for about two weeks beforehand - probably because there was a reason for the visit - the Opera House - where as this visit is a visit for no particularly reason.

If William and Kate want to come - fine - and if people wish to go and see them also fine. As there is no way to guarantee seeing them on the two days they are in Sydney - going to the Easter Show - with another 100,000+ people isn't my idea of a fun day out so will be giving that day a miss, same with going to the zoo on a public holiday - too crowded and there really is no where else to see them in Sydney. I will be at church on Easter Sunday when they are attending church and I won't set foot in St Andrew's anyway (personal reasons) and the surf living saving thingy - I wouldn't even know how to get there.

The problem with their time in Sydney will be gauging real interest as they have chosen to go to two places where the crowds would be there anyway so don't read anything into any figures you see for Good Friday at the show - most of those people, if not all, would have been at the show anyway on that day and the same with the zoo. Will look good for the propagandists in the UK but in reality that won't be any indication - same as last year's visit by Harry - I have seen people claim that the 1,000,000+ people who turned out that day were there to see Harry rather than that fact that they would have been there anyway to see the Review and that Harry wasn't the attraction at all.

There may be some people around the entrance to the Opera House when they go to the reception - but as that is one of the busiest transport hubs in the city again - how many actually are there to see William and Kate and how many would have been there anyway and took the opportunity to see them just because they were there.

That is what happened to my brother - he had no interest in seeing Charles and Camilla but was at the Melbourne Cup when they were there and due to his job on the day was introduced to them - found out that would be happening when he got to the racecourse that day mind you and that was the case for a number of people.

Last edited:
I would imagine they would go to the VIP lounge at the Australian airport while all of their luggage is transferred from one plane to another. At some point, they would need to change their clothes and put on the suits and dresses for the welcome ceremony at Wellington.

They can do that on the plane just before it lands - like many business people do every day of the week.

Personally, I think it would be wonderful if they didn't come and the media gave us a break from this already over-hyped couple.

I disagree with Bertie though. The morning programmes are on the at gym and, although I can't hear what's being said, there looks to have been an item on each of the programmes every morning last week. I am anticipating wall to wall coverage while the tour is on.

I do agree that I personally don't know anyone who is going to see them. They are in Brisbane during the Easter weekend and most people I know will be going away. Having said that, I'm sure there will be huge crowds of people out to see them when they are here.

They can do that on the plane just before it lands - like many business people do every day of the week.

It's an Air Force plane from Australia to NZ, the bathroom could be tiny. I wouldn't want to fly 20+ hours and then face the worlds press who is just waiting to scrutinize every inch of me without a chance to refresh a bit and get ready.

I am in Brisbane and have mainly got my info from this website (thanks SunLion). I don't watch breakfast tv which is where most coverage seems to be and have only seen the odd article online as I don't buy print newspapers. The local news bulletins don't seem to be doing much coverage. I would expect the weekly magazines will ramp up the coverage next week as the Australia part of the tour becomes closer.

For Brisbane it is actually probably unfortunate it is Easter weekend as many people traditionally go away camping etc and it is also the last weekend of the school holidays for parents to take the kids to the beach etc.

No-one in my workplace is discussing it (part of Qld Govt) but there are massive job losses in Brisbane at the moment and my colleagues seem more concerned about paying the bills than the visit of a couple of royals. Having said that they thought the last visit by the Queen to Brisbane would be quiet and turned out very large so people may not decide to go until the last minute.

It's an Air Force plane from Australia to NZ, the bathroom could be tiny. I wouldn't want to fly 20+ hours and then face the worlds press who is just waiting to scrutinize every inch of me without a chance to refresh a bit and get ready.

They have a three hour flight from Australia to New Zealand - if they have already changed into whatever they are going to wear when they arrive in NZ it will still be crushed etc by the time they arrive.

Their plane will only have them and their entourage on it and will be fitted out for VIPs so there will be a nice 'bathroom' area for them to use. Imagine something on a smaller scale to Air Force One not a military transport with no seats etc - outside will look like a military transport but inside won't.

The point I am making is that the coverage is very sparse and of the around 800 people at my workplace NONE of them knew that William and Kate are coming.

Wait, you polled 800 people at your workplace? Well if they didn't know before, they know now. :lol:

It's possible we could still get photos. They had a layover in Brisbane after their last tour, and we got photos of them on their way to the VIP lounge.

Last edited:
Sun Lion thank you very much for your all the infomation you provide.:flowers:

Wait, you polled 800 people at your workplace? Well if they didn't know before, they know now. :lol:

The questions they were asked were:

Did you know that Prince William and his wife Kate Middleton and their son Prince George will be in Sydney during the upcoming school holidays?

If you have the chance to go and see them would you go (that was limited to just the high school kids as the primary teachers felt that if could cause issues with parents)?

Answer to the first one - 1 knew (me) and everyone else answered No

Answer to the second was unanimous - no.

The questions they were asked were:

Did you know that Prince William and his wife Kate Middleton and their son Prince George will be in Sydney during the upcoming school holidays?

If you have the chance to go and see them would you go (that was limited to just the high school kids as the primary teachers felt that if could cause issues with parents)?

Answer to the first one - 1 knew (me) and everyone else answered No

Answer to the second was unanimous - no.

Wow, all 800 kids said no. You must work in the most apathetic place on earth.

Clearly they should not even bother to turn up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom