General News for the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge 1: January 2013-December 2014

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I love the button-down shirt onsie. Very smart, and would look cute with jeans, shorts, or dress slacks. Boy, little George will be touring in style. Can't wait to see.

Sent from my SM-N900T using The Royals Community mobile app

As casual and as unconcerned about Lupo's nearness the Cambridges look, I would bet this is not the first time George and Lupo have been that close face-to-face. I wouldn't worry about it. Dogs adjust to, accept, and even love babies far more often than not.
I quite agree. My dogs are always more gentle with children. I kind of thought Lupo was saying "oh man, that kid's going to try and eat my nose again".
All joking aside, spaniels are a pretty sweet natured breed.

I agree. Cockers are amazing. I grew up with one and I used to dress him up, put his legs in bandages, etc. Poor dog just let it all happen... ?

I quite agree. My dogs are always more gentle with children. I kind of thought Lupo was saying "oh man, that kid's going to try and eat my nose again".
All joking aside, spaniels are a pretty sweet natured breed.

With all due respect, emergency room physicians probably hear that all the time from distraught parents. Any veterinarian will tell you that there are probably hundreds of thousands of dogs who live with babies without incident, but there can also be problems.

It is dangerous to leave a baby alone with a dog. A baby can unwittingly hurt a dog by pulling on a tail or ear or grabbing skin. The dog will naturally snap at someone who is hurting him. They don't have to be vicious to protect themselves.

It looked like Lupo was unhappy in the picture but that was probably because William had him boxed in. He may have been looking to George for help. We don't know how long he sat there.

I'm definitely not saying leave Lupo or any dog alone with small children. I was just going by that moment when the picture was taken.

While I agree with the argument that "dogs can hurt babies" and "it doesn't hurt to be cautious," people are overlooking some things.

1. This is not a picture of just George and Lupo. George has not been left unattended with a dog.

2. William and Catherine very likely know their dog well enough to know if he's okay being close to George. At this point, if they're letting Lupo be that close then he's likely pretty good with George (and really, from what we've seen in the past, Lupo looks like he's a pretty calm and obedient dog).

3. Even assuming Lupo isn't great with George, William is sitting with his arm around Lupo, boxing the dog off and likely restraining him at least partially. He is very much in a position to pull Lupo back, if there is any sign that the situation could become dangerous for George - and given as Lupo is the family dog, it's not likely that he's just going to snap and do any harm to George without any warning.

It is dangerous to leave a baby alone with a dog. A baby can unwittingly hurt a dog by pulling on a tail or ear or grabbing skin. The dog will naturally snap at someone who is hurting him. They don't have to be vicious to protect themselves.

Very possibly (or probably), the Cambridges have this kind of thing under control. I'm always surprised at parents who don't teach their children not to pull the dog's (or cat's) ears or tail or skin. We teach our children not to touch a hot stove, why not teach them the correct way to approach an animal?

While I agree with the argument that "dogs can hurt babies" and "it doesn't hurt to be cautious," people are overlooking some things.

1. This is not a picture of just George and Lupo. George has not been left unattended with a dog.

2. William and Catherine very likely know their dog well enough to know if he's okay being close to George. At this point, if they're letting Lupo be that close then he's likely pretty good with George (and really, from what we've seen in the past, Lupo looks like he's a pretty calm and obedient dog).

3. Even assuming Lupo isn't great with George, William is sitting with his arm around Lupo, boxing the dog off and likely restraining him at least partially. He is very much in a position to pull Lupo back, if there is any sign that the situation could become dangerous for George - and given as Lupo is the family dog, it's not likely that he's just going to snap and do any harm to George without any warning.

To clarify, I don't think George was in any danger in the photo. I have no doubt that William and Catherine are keeping a close eye on them when they are together. As I said, the dog looked unhappy, but not at George. I think he was ready to get the picture over with and resume his busy day.

Very possibly (or probably), the Cambridges have this kind of thing under control. I'm always surprised at parents who don't teach their children not to pull the dog's (or cat's) ears or tail or skin. We teach our children not to touch a hot stove, why not teach them the correct way to approach an animal?

Couldn't agree more.

In fact it ought to be mandatory in kindergartens to teach the children how to read and approach an animal, especially animals that can hurt, i.e. cats and dogs.

Having said that, it's my experience that most dogs are very tolerant of the small (human) puppies in the pack. Much more tolerant than most humans would be - provided that it's the humans and not the dog that is pack-leader.
But if you don't teach the children how to behave in relation to a dog, especially older children, you may risk that the dog will dicipline the child like it would with any other half grown puppy.

You are right that it should be a priority starting around 4 or 5 years old. Unfortunately, it is hard to teach an 8 month old baby not to pull on things, animals or people.

You are right that it should be a priority starting around 4 or 5 years old. Unfortunately, it is hard to teach an 8 month old baby not to pull on things, animals or people.

I kind of disagree. It is hard to teach them, yes, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't. I have a nephew who is 2 and he knows he's not allowed to hit or pull on his "puppies." He knows this because starting when he was about 7 or 8 months old, when he started to be a bit more interested in the dogs if he touched them in a "bad" way he was stopped, told to be "gentle," and shown the right way to touch them. Now he knows he's can pet/hug/kiss them, but he's not allowed to hit/poke/pull on them.

It's really important, because even though you can feel confident that your dogs aren't going to hurt your child (however wrong you may or may not be), you can't be confident that your child isn't going to see a strange dog and think that he/she can pull on them without repercussions.

I'm not trying to be mean, but can we draw a line at ascribing emotions to animals in family portraits (I mean, unless the animal is being slaughtered as part of the portrait?).

Lupo looked like a dog in the picture.

Actually, Lupo has a very keen, intent look on his face as if someone off camera may have been distracting him into good behavior with a toy. He looks like he's eyeballing something. And it seems like William had him under control with his arm about him.

I kind of disagree. It is hard to teach them, yes, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't. I have a nephew who is 2 and he knows he's not allowed to hit or pull on his "puppies." He knows this because starting when he was about 7 or 8 months old, when he started to be a bit more interested in the dogs if he touched them in a "bad" way he was stopped, told to be "gentle," and shown the right way to touch them. Now he knows he's can pet/hug/kiss them, but he's not allowed to hit/poke/pull on them.

It's really important, because even though you can feel confident that your dogs aren't going to hurt your child (however wrong you may or may not be), you can't be confident that your child isn't going to see a strange dog and think that he/she can pull on them without repercussions.

I don't think we are disagreeing. I am not saying people shouldn't teach babies how to behave with dogs (or anything else), but that it is difficult. It can take a long time for a baby or toddler to learn to control impulses and I would not leave a dog or any animal alone with a baby, no matter how many times I told the baby to be gentle or the dog not to bite.

Also, judging by my own experience and my family and friends, I think boys are more impulsive than girls. My daughter was very easy going, whereas my son delighted in doing things he knew he shouldn't. Actually both of them love pushing my buttons now.

If we're talking about leaving a baby/toddler alone with an animal, that's one thing. But George was not alone with Lupo in the photo. And yes, someone probably was off-camera, distracting Lupo. It's a common tactic when photographing animals.

As we learned from the Queen's Christmas broadcast, Kate was behind Jason Bell for the queen and next 3 Kings shot at George's christening getting his attention for the photo.

If something happens, William wouldn't be quick enough to intervene. No one would!
The papers are full of horror stories about dogs attacking children, but still people say "Not my dog!"

Then there's a tragedy and everybody is in tears.
Much better to be cautious, imo.

If something happens, William wouldn't be quick enough to intervene. No one would!
The papers are full of horror stories about dogs attacking children, but still people say "Not my dog!"

Then there's a tragedy and everybody is in tears.
Much better to be cautious, imo.

I think we are overthinking this whole boy and his dog thing. Lupo is over two years old and has likely had some training. George was in his mother's arms and Lupo was being restrained by William. That looks like cautious to me.

Cambridge Family "Window" Photo Now Cover Of "Hello" Magazine.

"Hello" magazine have used the window photo of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge with Princes George and Lupo as their current issue's cover.

Nice momento.

Sun Lion.

Oz TV Reporting W & C's Royal Tour Entourage Members.

Australian television is reporting on the personal staff members said to be accompanying the Duke and Duchess to Australia and New Zealand.

As well as the two private secretaries, there will be four press officers, a hairdresser, a nurse, a personal assistant and a foreign affairs advisor.

There will be six protection staff.

Royal reporter Rob Jobson is here in Sydney - and reporting from outside the Opera House.

Nice day here again isn't it Rob.

Cheers, Sun Lion.

Miguel Head - the Duke's Private Secretary.

Rebecca Deacon - the Duchess' Private Secretary.

Ed Perkins - Press Officer.

Katrina McKeever - Press Officer.

Nick Loughran - Press Officer.

Sally Osman - The Queens' Press Secretary.

Sir David Manning - Foreign Affairs Advisor.

And the PA, Nurse, Nanny and Hairdresser round out the eleven staff.

Confirmed - no dresser, the Duchess is taking care of that herself.

P.S. Being reported that officials are trying to keep the costs down for the Tour.

Last edited:
The press release from Miguel, William's private secretary list the tour party as himself, Rebecca Deacon, Sir David Manning, 3 Press Officers, a tour secretary, personal assistant, orderly, hairdresser and George's nanny.

The nurse and Sally Osman who is the head of communications seems incorrect especially Ms Osman with a state visit from the Irish at the same time of the tour.

source:

http://www.princeofwales.gov.uk/med...the-duke-of-cambridge-their-royal-highnessess

Thanks Skippyboo...

The press release from Miguel, William's private secretary list the tour party as himself, Rebecca Deacon, Sir David Manning, 3 Press Officers, a tour secretary, personal assistant, orderly, hairdresser and George's nanny.

The nurse and Sally Osman who is the head of communications seems incorrect especially Ms Osman with a state visit from the Irish at the same time of the tour.

source:

Remarks by Miguel Head, Private Secretary to The Duke of Cambridge on Their Royal Highnesses's upcoming tour to New Zealand and Australia

Hi Skippyboo, thanks for this link - I hadn't seen it before.

Can't confirm if the information broadcast across Australia this morning is correct or not, but Rob Jobson has a link to it now on his twitter account for anyone wanting to see it.

Rob must be loving Sydney - he's posted some of his photos of the Harbour from the Shangri La Hotel.

Many years ago, CP Mary and CP Frederik - before children I think - stayed here on one of their Australian visits.

Great views - day or night.

Cheers, Sun Lion.

P.S. Rob's report is worth seeing for the wonderful early morning blue sky and sunshine of Sydney - ferries, cruise ships and joggers - he got them all in!

Last edited:
PG Getting A Surf Board!

:lol:

A few weeks ago I read that Manly's Mayor was trying to get a gift sorted out for litttle PG, when the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge visit there on Good Friday afternoon.

Manly locals were asked to make suggestions.

Now there are reports a surf-board is being especially made for Prince George.

It is described as having a photo of Manly on it, and the words "Greetings from Manly - Surf City Australia".

Maybe they need to keep it here for PG's teenage years - how much use will he get out of it in the UK.

(It's six feet long - which I don't understand as Australia went metric decades ago.)

Cheers, Sun Lion.

Last edited:
Report & Photos Now On "Mail-Online"...

:lol:

A few weeks ago I read that Manly's Mayor was trying to get a gift sorted out for litttle PG, when the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge visit there on Good Friday afternoon.

Manly locals were asked to make suggestions.

Now there are reports a surf-board is being especially made for Prince George.

It is described as having a photo of Manly on it, and the words "Greetings from Manly - Surf City Australia".

Maybe they need to keep it here for PG's teenage years - how much use will he get out of it in the UK.

(It's six feet long - which I don't understand as Australia went metric decades ago.)

Cheers, Sun Lion.

The "Daily Mail Mail-Online" has just put this story of PG's surfboard, and photos of the company involved, up on the internet - if you'd like to see the details.

Cheers All, Sun Lion.

Last edited:
Actually, Lupo has a very keen, intent look on his face as if someone off camera may have been distracting him into good behavior with a toy. He looks like he's eyeballing something. And it seems like William had him under control with his arm about him.

Lupo looks like he's seen a rabbit. He is not focused on George at all...

More Details Available Now For Brisbane On Easter Saturday...

There are now more details available about the Duke and Duchess of Cambrige's visit to Brisbane on Easter Saturday.

W & C will be taking their walk through the South Bank area after - not before- attending the official Reception at the Brisbane Convention Centre.

A couple of streets, Grey and Russell, will be closed - parts from 6.00am that morning, and also closed to pedestrians, while the Royal Couple are present in the area.

Sun Lion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom