General News for the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge 1: January 2013-December 2014

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It doesn't negate the fact that William may have missed his parents while they were gone, which was my point.

That might very well be, but it's something many children get used to - children of professional and successful parents must get used to late nights, business trips, etc, weekends of busy parents. It is easier at the end of the day to keep the child in his routine. It sounds like something a royal parent does once and realizes far better to keep them home.

I think that she can relie on ther mother to take care of him... I do prefer that situtation rather than take him along, the trip is too long, he is very young...he is used to be woth her grandmother so to me is the best choice rather than take him along, so manye trip hours, a didferen kinf of weather and little time with his parents...

I guess I'm the only one getting my point. :whistling: I'm speaking only about William, no one else ... not Diana and Charles, and not people we don't know. It may very well be that William and Kate discover that bringing George with them on future trips may be inconvenient. On the other hand, there are parents who take their children with them on all trips, and the children haven't suffered for it. We'll see which the Cambridges decide to do.

When William went with his parents down under, they checked up on him on a regular bases. When William & Harry got a bit older, they also went to Canada to be with their parents.

Remember that William - by 7 had to be used to not having his parents around except in holidays as he was bundled off to boarding school - so he really didn't have a lot of memories of them around during the normal day to day side of life as he only spent about 6 weeks with each parent and in holiday mode at that (remember that there were effectively separated by the time he was 7 even if not formally until he was 10).

Remember that William - by 7 had to be used to not having his parents around except in holidays as he was bundled off to boarding school - so he really didn't have a lot of memories of them around during the normal day to day side of life as he only spent about 6 weeks with each parent and in holiday mode at that (remember that there were effectively separated by the time he was 7 even if not formally until he was 10).

But wouldn't that be even more of a reason to travel with their child(ren)? People with very difficult jobs and no nanny often manage to take their kids along. You can't get those sweet young years back.

Royal tours aren't holidays. They can can take George now when he is small but as he goes off to school, they will spend his school breaks as a family skiing, going to Balmoral etc. W&K can do the foreign tours when the kids are in school.

Victoria Murphy ‏@QueenVicMirror 27m
Prince William and Harry on a hunting weekend in Spain...

People who work overseas, in the diplomatic service and the military live this sort of life as well. They are posted overseas, children in boarding school and then have family events during the holidays. Not unusual.

Victoria Murphy ‏@QueenVicMirror 27m
Prince William and Harry on a hunting weekend in Spain...

WEll Twitter has gone wild about this but mainly that how stupid is William to go hunting the weekend before he stands up and argues against poaching.

View is that majority of people will not differentiate between the 2.

And of course the witches are out about yet more time away from each other, blah di blah di blah!

But wouldn't that be even more of a reason to travel with their child(ren)? People with very difficult jobs and no nanny often manage to take their kids along. You can't get those sweet young years back.

True but - they don't seem to care that his first overseas tour didn't have Dad along so obviously William doesn't care much about spending those first with his son.

As for taking the children along - on a holiday YES - but then these two don't always holiday together as we have seen this week but when they go away for WORK and that is what this tour to Australia and NZ is -- work - so no the children shouldn't be dragged along when they get a bit bigger than George is now - which is why Diana and Charles stopped taking them - they realised that it wasn't right for either the children or their hosts.

There are already people who don't understand the difference between protecting endangered species and shooting game birds. I've seen those arguments. It is up to the more enlightened to inform them of the differences, and also the differences between hunting and poaching. Or not.

People who work overseas, in the diplomatic service and the military live this sort of life as well. They are posted overseas, children in boarding school and then have family events during the holidays. Not unusual.

Perhaps not unusual, but it's also not unusual to avoid being separated from your kids for weeks on end, especially if you have a nanny and perhaps a tutor.

Remember the photograph of toddler Prince Charles extending his hand to the Queen when she returned from a months-long tour? Why would you want that for your children if it could be managed in another way?

Of course royal tours aren't holidays. But children do travel with their parents, even if the parents are working at least as hard as the royals. Even working parents can usually find time to breakfast with their kids, and to kiss them goodnight on a regular basis.

I think anyone with an iota of critical thinking knows the difference between hunting and animal conservation.
William doesn't hide the fact he enjoys hunting. PM Cameron is an avid hunter as well and he is hosting an event at Lancaster House on poaching Feb 12

Perhaps not unusual, but it's also not unusual to avoid being separated from your kids for weeks on end, especially if you have a nanny and perhaps a tutor.

Remember the photograph of toddler Prince Charles extending his hand to the Queen when she returned from a months-long tour? Why would you want that for your children if it could be managed in another way?

Of course royal tours aren't holidays. But children do travel with their parents, even if the parents are working at least as hard as the royals. Even working parents can usually find time to breakfast with their kids, and to kiss them goodnight on a regular basis.

Gosh yes - I've always thought that was the saddest thing to see. I think that the more the children travel when young with their parents prior to boarding school the better. If you're good with kids then you can make it work

:mad::furious::evil::angry:
Hunting *any animal* is never right in my book, I don't care what it's for, nothing on this earth makes it right to murder an animal that has done nothing to you at all. Regardless what what anyone thinks, to me, this is down right murder. There are ways to survive on this planet without killing an animal to eat, I would NEVER kill a mother that births and nurses it's baby just to kill and eat it....................I am very strong and firm believer in this................besides I thought PW was in school getting some education to run the Duchy someday................what happened to that? Hunting took preference.........................
Okay Admins get mad at me, I still won't change my belief in murdering animals and no I do no eat any type of me and I don't wear leather or sit on leather, I have plucked wool from sheep to and spum wool on lombs to make fabric for clothes. My opinions only and very strong one at that!

Um, why would you "pluck wool" from sheep? Pulling hair out has to hurt a lot more than cutting it. It doesn't hurt them to be sheared and actually makes them more comfortable in summer weather.

Sorry about the way I worded that, my mother in law taught me to use a special share to shave the sheep, I didn't pull the wool out right, I just worded it wrong, I love all animals, even have rescued so many, mostly dogs. I have always believed that that *Most honest and purest love a human being will ever receive will always be from their pet*, The Human race just can't get it right somehow and I believe never will.
I love used my mother-in-laws huge lombs, she had 2 and they where huge, in fact she had a special room built just for them and they took up 1/2 the room and she taught me to so much, I have some of her small rugs that she made and a shawl. She made so many wall hangings and table clothes and runners and vest for my children.............this is something that to this day I wish I could find a place that would let me do that again. Sheep have the most beautiful eyes, very soulful and sweet. She lived in Central America and that is where I spent many summers with her and the children learning this.

Well, the hunting thing is tricky, but the fact is that people don't have common sense and don't know the difference between hunting and poaching.

However, for those like SElizabeth who don't agree with hunting AT ALL, this is a much clearer-cut debate. I hope both sides can respect other opinions, though.

:mad::furious::evil::angry:
Hunting *any animal* is never right in my book, I don't care what it's for, nothing on this earth makes it right to murder an animal that has done nothing to you at all. Regardless what what anyone thinks, to me, this is down right murder. There are ways to survive on this planet without killing an animal to eat, I would NEVER kill a mother that births and nurses it's baby just to kill and eat it....................I am very strong and firm believer in this................besides I thought PW was in school getting some education to run the Duchy someday................what happened to that? Hunting took preference.........................
Okay Admins get mad at me, I still won't change my belief in murdering animals and no I do no eat any type of me and I don't wear leather or sit on leather, I have plucked wool from sheep to and spum wool on lombs to make fabric for clothes. My opinions only and very strong one at that!

I too thought that. But William's university course was supposed to run for six or ten weeks, so perhaps it's finished by now. :flowers:

I'm also against hunting and think it's cruel, but it's a sport which is enjoyed by many members of the upper class, aristocracy and other royals. The Danish Royals organize a hunt every year at Frederiksborg Palace (please correct me if I'm wrong regarding the location). So it's not surprising that William enjoys the sport. But isn't his foundation supposed to protect animals from poaching and hunting? Hmm...

I too thought that. But William's university course was supposed to run for six or ten weeks, so perhaps it's finished by now. :flowers:

I'm also against hunting and think it's cruel, but it's a sport which is enjoyed by many members of the upper class, aristocracy and other royals. The Danish Royals organize a hunt every year at Frederiksborg Palace (please correct me if I'm wrong regarding the location). So it's not surprising that William enjoys the sport. But isn't his foundation supposed to protect animals from poaching and hunting? Hmm...

Re university - He's only away for the weekend, flying out on a Friday. Also, it may be half-term hence his availability next week.

Hunting and poaching are not the same thing. Poaching is the illegal taking and killing of animals/fish.

Hunting can be for many reasons, but IMO rarely just for the sake of killing.

Two main reasons are (1) provision of food and (2) management of the breed/land/environment. In Scotland, deer are culled in order to maintain the herd and the land. So the amount killed is controlled and managed. The alternative is that the land cannot maintain the herds and the animals starve to death. In Scotland, the herds of deer are healthy and the land is improving.

The cull in Scotland is a financial life-line to those who live in the highlands.

I've never hunted although I have tried fishing. I try to understand that in some instances it is necessary. Killing an endangered species is wrong, and to kill it not to survive (ie to eat) but for the money the ivory brings - that is criminal, in every sense.

I agree with all of the above post, Cepe.

Wild Boar, which are the animals the Duke will [allegedly] be hunting this weekend are a huge menace in the areas which they inhabit. In the Languedoc in southwest France [an area i know well], they are responsible for the deaths of many motorists as they charge across the landscape at night. The only way to control their numbers is by shooting parties , formed by local men, who [for hundreds of years] have undertaken this work,to protect their crops and for whom it is an honourable tradition and social obligation.The Duke has been invited by the landowner to be part of this process, and will {like all hunters} enjoy the task, which is one requiring enormous skill !

Many cannot/will not understand or accept this..but i do..

I can only say i feel much more baffled , and outraged about gun ownership in the USA !

Last edited:
Let's leave the U.S. and gun laws out of this...it has no bearing at all on the conversation (William and Kate) and will just end up in a, as usual, heated argument.

LaRae

Wyevale:
I can only say i feel much more baffled , and outraged about gun ownership in the USA !

That is one discussion that really rankles me and it's really best I don't even discuss this with anyone I know here in this country...........This situation makes me see RED and boil over with rage..............enough said.

*honourable tradition and social obligation........
I see Nothing honorable in murdering an animal, there is something called fences to keep animals out of areas where crops are grown............social........and just whom made murdering an animal a *social* thing...........royal or not, freemen or not, peasant or slave, there in nothing social in hunting...............absolutely nothing. This was just made up by a group of royal men in the past so that they could go out and kill and animal to make themselves look good and for them to feel good about themselves that they where *real men*........................babababba, not in my world!

Hunting and poaching are not the same thing. Poaching is the illegal taking and killing of animals/fish.

Two main reasons are (1) provision of food and (2) management of the breed/land/environment.

I completely agree with you. My husband is a hunter, the district where he hunts gets a number of deer that needs to be shot for the above reasons from the government. The meat will be sold to restaurants or we eat it ourselves. Unless you are a vegetarian and you reject eating meat overall, there is no better way to get it: the animal will be shot on the spot, doesnt have any process of stress like all the other animals that we usually eat. Actually, the way of killing it is far more humanely than the usual mass animal farming. I absolutely detest hunting for fun, without any purpose or a la Juan Carlos, endangered species.

Having said that, its an emotional issue and William simply cannot not assume that people who read about him hunting will know the background about what exactly he is doing (what the public usually doesnt get to know anyway). Because of this intransparency, he is bound to attract critizism, even more so as hunting for the wrong reasons is often related to royalty, and he should be very careful what he does in that respect in order not to harm his patronage or the image of his patronage.

:previous: I think it's quite the opposite. I think William (and Charles) realize that people don't know the background, or the difference between poaching endangered or threatened species, and hunting. That's what this campaign is all about .... hopefully educating those people who don't see the difference.

Re university - He's only away for the weekend, flying out on a Friday. Also, it may be half-term hence his availability next week.

Two main reasons are (1) provision of food and (2) management of the breed/land/environment. In Scotland, deer are culled in order to maintain the herd and the land. So the amount killed is controlled and managed. The alternative is that the land cannot maintain the herds and the animals starve to death. In Scotland, the herds of deer are healthy and the land is improving.

The cull in Scotland is a financial life-line to those who live in the highlands.

I've never hunted although I have tried fishing. I try to understand that in some instances it is necessary. Killing an endangered species is wrong, and to kill it not to survive (ie to eat) but for the money the ivory brings - that is criminal, in every sense.

I didn't say that hunting and poaching were the same thing. I said: "but isn't his foundation supposed to protect animals from poaching and hunting?" I didn't mean to imply that they were the same thing in my sentence.

Articles from The Daily Mail and The Telegraph:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...onate-video-appeal-crack-illegal-hunting.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/wi...n-unite-to-bring-down-the-ivory-poachers.html

Last edited:
I agree with all of the above post, Cepe.

Wild Boar, which are the animals the Duke will [allegedly] be hunting this weekend are a huge menace in the areas which they inhabit. In the Languedoc in southwest France [an area i know well], they are responsible for the deaths of many motorists as they charge across the landscape at night. The only way to control their numbers is by shooting parties , formed by local men, who [for hundreds of years] have undertaken this work,to protect their crops and for whom it is an honourable tradition and social obligation.The Duke has been invited by the landowner to be part of this process, and will {like all hunters} enjoy the task, which is one requiring enormous skill !

Many cannot/will not understand or accept this..but i do..

I've read the same that the boar have rebounded in very large numbers and are now becoming a problem.

Personally I am not a hunter, but in many parts of North America this is a way that people supplement their diets. They obtain a license for the animal that is in season and must follow the rules regarding the number, age and size of the animals that may be killed. Animals that were once low in number at the beginning of the 20th century have seen their numbers increase steadily to the point that they must be culled to keep the herds/flocks at a reasonable and healthy level.

That being said, I don't believe that the timing between the Wildlife Conference and the hunting trip was wise.

Some people on twiter making a big deal that jecca was with them on the hunting trip...but, im sure if you look at the pics on popsugar that the guy between harry and one of the van cutsem boys is probably her boyfriend....

that and isn't her father part of the conservation thing this week...are him and his friends really that dumb to think they won't get bad pr....

I mean I love william but, the hunting trip before this week was a terrible idea!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom