General News for the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge 1: January 2013-December 2014

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
William and Harry are close to their Aunt Sarah (Mccorquodale) but they are not close to their Uncle Charles (Diana Brother) from what I heard especially after his Eulogy. I could see Sarah attending the Christening but I am not sure about Charles Spencer.

I have gotten Godparents mix up with Legal Guardian before. Sorry if this is off topic and too bring up a gloomy subject but I got to wondering how does that (Legal Guardian for Royal Children's) work? While I hope noting ever happens to William and Catherine Let say 10 years something happens to both if then. Who would get custody/Guardianship of Prince George and any other Childrends that they may have?

O.k. I dont quite remember, what did Dianas brother say that was inappropriate enough for William and Harry to stay away from him? I notice they dont seem to invite him to any functions and none of them seem to visit him either. Kind of sad really since he is Dianas brother. I wonder if he will ever see George at all.

Charles Spencer basically insulted the BRF and said that William and Harry's "blood family" (the Spencers) will make sure that they would be raised how Diana wanted during his eulogy. He then spent most of his time in between his numerous affair and marriages using his dead sister to raise money for him.

I think William and Harry have alway been closer to Sarah and Jane's families. His aunts went with him to Nanny Olga Powell's funeral. Sarah went to the Raf wing ceremony and sat next to Kate.

Charles Spencer basically insulted the BRF and said that William and Harry's "blood family" (the Spencers) will make sure that they would be raised how Diana wanted during his eulogy. He then spent most of his time in between his numerous affair and marriages using his dead sister to raise money for him.

I think William and Harry have alway been closer to Sarah and Jane's families. His aunts went with him to Nanny Olga Powell's funeral. Sarah went to the Raf wing ceremony and sat next to Kate.

The Royal Family got the last laugh after that, William and Harry Became more Windsors then Spencers. Charles was a single parent during most of their (William, Harry) teen years and raise them alone during the most crucial times in William and Harry Lives, They turned out fine and became good young mens despite the what the Spencers thought. Diana would have been happy and I don't think she would have appreciated that comments her brother made.

Last edited:
William & Harry do seem to be closer to their aunts than their uncle. I wonder how long has it been since they've seen their step-grandmother, Raine?

The Royal Family got the last laugh after that, William and Harry Became more Windsors then Spencers. Charles was a single parent during most of their (William, Harry) teen years and raise them alone during the most crucial times in William and Harry Lives, They turned out fine and became good young mens despite the what the Spencers thought. Diana would have been happy and I don't think she would have appreciated that comments her brother made.

I wouldn't say that William and Harry are more Windsor (or, rather, Mountbatten-Windsor) than Spencer. They both have a lot in common with their father, but they also both have a lot in common with their mother. I also wouldn't place too much emphasis on Charles being a single parent; by that point a lot of the big decisions regarding the boys had been determined, and it's not like he raised them alone.

We know that they maintain a relationship with their aunts, and I wouldn't be surprised if it's a closer one. It is also a rather private one. The relationship they maintain with the M-Ws is more visible, giving us the illusion that they are closer to the M-Ws than the Spencers.

I know that Sarah and Jane's children are close in age to William and Harry, do we know if they ever spend time together (comparable to the time they spend with Peter/Zara/Beatrice/Eugenie)?

As for Earl Spencer... Well, he's kind of the Uncle Gary of the equation. He uses his relationship to Diana for his personal gain and likes to be in the limelight in as much as he can. The boys tend not to go for that kind of thing, so it's likely that that (as well as Earl Spencer's general hostility towards the BRF) has soured the relationship. That said, he was invited to William and Catherine's wedding, so we have no reason to believe that he won't be invited to the christening.

William & Harry do seem to be closer to their aunts than their uncle. I wonder how long has it been since they've seen their step-grandmother, Raine?

I doubt they have much of a relationship with her. It's not like Diana was on good terms with her.

We won't know who will be invited to George's christening. It will be private. We will get photos and video of the photo shoot but that we only be immediate family and godparents.

William and Kate went to Laura Fellowes wedding. All 3 went Emily Mccorquodale wedding last year. The next wedding is Alexander Fellowes who got engaged in February.

As for Earl Spencer... Well, he's kind of the Uncle Gary of the equation. He uses his relationship to Diana for his personal gain and likes to be in the limelight in as much as he can. The boys tend not to go for that kind of thing, so it's likely that that (as well as Earl Spencer's general hostility towards the BRF) has soured the relationship. That said, he was invited to William and Catherine's wedding, so we have no reason to believe that he won't be invited to the christening.

Every family it seems has their own Uncle Gary to some extent but I really don't see Charles Spencer as being as uncouth as Uncle Gary. When a death happens in the family, it affects each one in sometimes odd ways and although I do think Charles Spencer could have handled himself better at the time of Diana's funeral, I can also understand what he was going through. I don't think William and Harry were as close to their Uncle Charles' children that were closer to their own age mostly for the fact that they lived in South Africa with their mother and probably had little in common with Charles himself other than he was their mother's brother.

As far as Charles Spencer profiting off of his sister's death, maybe he did with setting up the museum at Althrop and the traveling Diana exhibit but I think also that he provided an outlet for the general public that wanted to remember Diana also. After all the mass hysteria at the time of the funeral, he provided a service that would have seemed out of place for the Royal Family to do.

Family is family. Shake any family tree and there's bound to be a few nuts that fall out.

Every family it seems has their own Uncle Gary to some extent but I really don't see Charles Spencer as being as uncouth as Uncle Gary. When a death happens in the family, it affects each one in sometimes odd ways and although I do think Charles Spencer could have handled himself better at the time of Diana's funeral, I can also understand what he was going through. I don't think William and Harry were as close to their Uncle Charles' children that were closer to their own age mostly for the fact that they lived in South Africa with their mother and probably had little in common with Charles himself other than he was their mother's brother.

As far as Charles Spencer profiting off of his sister's death, maybe he did with setting up the museum at Althrop and the traveling Diana exhibit but I think also that he provided an outlet for the general public that wanted to remember Diana also. After all the mass hysteria at the time of the funeral, he provided a service that would have seemed out of place for the Royal Family to do.

Family is family. Shake any family tree and there's bound to be a few nuts that fall out.

I think you're misunderstanding a but of what I said (or meant to say, sorry for not being clearer).

I certainly don't think that Charles Spencer is as uncouth as Uncle Gary, more as you put it every family has their own Uncle Gary and in the Spencer family that role is filled by Charles Spencer.

I don't blame Spencer for his comments at the funeral; while I think the eulogy was at points inappropriate (and at other points extremely beautiful), the comments that were inappropriate were made in a time of extreme stress and I don't think we can really hold it against him too much. I also commend him for the museum because I do think it addressed something that the public wanted in a manner that at the time the BRF couldn't achieve.

What I criticize him for, however, is more that he uses her memory as much to keep her alive as to get his name in the press - much like how Uncle Gary makes comments about Catherine in order to get his name in the press. So like when Spencer was quoted congratulating William on the birth of George he had to include an anecdote about Diana's birth, and at least two of his books (Althorp and The Spencers) have used Diana as a selling point, all while Spencer claims that he avoids capitalizing on his sister's name. I do think this kind of behaviour may have influenced the relationship between William, Harry, and their uncle, as they seem to be closer to people who don't typically go to lengths to end up being quoted in the papers.

I do doubt that they're close with Spencer's children both because the elder ones live in South Africa and because they're not really close in age - Harry is 6 years older than Charles Spencer's eldest child (and 10 years older than the youngest from Spencer's first marriage). In comparrison, Sarah's elder two children are roughly the same age as William and Harry, and Jane's three children run from being two years older than William to a year younger than Harry.

Let's get back on topic.

Just thinking about William & Catherine and baby George. I hope all is well, George sleeping through the night and that William & Catherine are enjoying watching their son grow and that the couple have fun with him.

It's is William's last week at RAF Valley. Since he has engagements tomorrow and Thursday night. They would have to come back to London today. George probably need a nappy change. Kate a bathroom break. We really didn't need photographic evidence though.

It's is William's last week at RAF Valley. Since he has engagements tomorrow and Thursday night. They would have to come back to London today. George probably need a nappy change. Kate a bathroom break. We really didn't need photographic evidence though.

I am assuming you're referring to the McDonalds pictures which so no evidence of a George, William or a Nanny. Just Catherine walking past McDonalds.

It's his last week in Anglesey? Confirmed?

Sorry, I moved my post to the current events thread.

Does anyone know where I can find a link to the entire CNN interview with Prince William? I've only been able to find pieces of it. Thanks!

Here is a clip. I haven't watched it but I doubt this is all of it.

Prince William interview on fatherhood, baby George - YouTube

Obviously this is not all of it. CNN played it last Saturday evening. Most of the program was devoted to the issue of conservation in Africa and the nominees for the TUSK award. Most of what he said about Prince George has already been reported. There were also some footage of Diana's visits to Africa and a short footage of Prince Charles giving a speech about the importance of the environment.

That article contradicts itself - the text said Kate called the Meyricks to see what type of bed and the quoted guy said she just looked at the label on the bed.

It says she looked for a label. Maybe there was none, or there was one that didn't give enough information.

Royal Updates ‏@RoyalUpdates 3h
( Via @theroyaleditor) The Duchess of Cambridge is expected to make at least two foreign visits alongside Prince William next year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom