The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 10-03-2014, 12:06 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta View Post
Yes, I do personally agree that children need protecting from such behavior. I also believe that if there are alternatives for fresh air and sunshine or acclimation to other season's weather for children in the spotlight, then public places are not the best choices. George does not know where he is being strolled and won't for a couple of years.

I don't understand why they keep putting him in peril when there are alternatives. He is not a "regular" child, has never been and never will be. Either they (his parents) want him stalked or they don't want him stalked. If not, keep him out of the public eye...no one is beyond the horrors of what can happen. Photographs should be the least of their worries at this point.

The sad part of this is the old adage "you can't have it both ways."
I agree with you from a safety standpoint. I wish it weren't the case, but public outings with such a high profile child are asking for trouble. If he needs fresh air, Buckingham Palace has large gardens. They could even invite friends!

Old 10-03-2014, 12:11 PM
Heir Apparent

Buckingham Palace would not be available July-early October as it is open to the public. The gardens are also overlooked - in particular by the Hilton Hotel - the Queen was said to be v angry when the hotel received planning permission.

There are solutions to the issue - just irritating that one paparazzo has created so much angst.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 10-03-2014, 12:11 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsorgirl View Post
I agree with you from a safety standpoint. I wish it weren't the case, but public outings with such a high profile child are asking for trouble. If he needs fresh air, Buckingham Palace has large gardens. They could even invite friends!

He's with a protection officer and a nanny. I don't think he's at any particular risk, and it's really unfair to expect a child to never get to see and do what other children do.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app
Old 10-03-2014, 12:13 PM
Heir Presumptive

I think it is a perfectly reasonable stance for Royals to want their children to experience something of the real world and not be kept out of the public eye other than for official occasions - what a horrible/unadjusted upbringing that would be, and a recipie for a monarch who would be way out of touch. In some instances you are right, Royals "can't have it both ways", but in trying to ensure a child grows up without being in some form of a barracaded bubble, I think this should be applauded.
Old 10-03-2014, 12:24 PM
Heir Apparent

Experiencing the real world can happen when he gets to the point where he knows what is going on. He's a baby right now and probably just does a bit of pointing at things that are colorful or mechanical. Like his father and uncle, he will probably be in a "barricaded bubble" until he finishes school.
Old 10-03-2014, 12:29 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Experiencing the real world can happen when he gets to the point where he knows what is going on. He's a baby right now and probably just does a bit of pointing at things that are colorful or mechanical. Like his father and uncle, he will probably be in a "barricaded bubble" until he finishes school.
I just think it is pointless to try and argue against why anybody should be denied the right to roam freely in a public park.
Old 10-03-2014, 12:34 PM
Heir Apparent

When George grows up, he will have to walk up to a group of strangers and engage them in conversation. He can't be locked away in KP like Princess Victoria was. But he doesn't need every time he steps outside to be photographed or documented on social media.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 10-03-2014, 12:56 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Why does George need to be strolled in public or semi-public places? Aren't there enough private gardens around? If I had access to private parks, that's where I would be.
I believe that his parents might like George to have the opportunity to join in with other toddlers playing in the sandbox or to see the sights in public areas. HM, her children and grandchildren who grew up near London's parks had the privilege of enjoying them with their nannies as well and I believe that she'd want her great-grandson to have the same chance. HM made a lifelong friend during one of these play outings decades ago. She met Sonia Graham-Hodgson when she was four during a visit to the park and the two remained friends until Sonia's death in 2012.
Old 10-03-2014, 12:59 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by miche View Post
WA and Maxima has an expectation of privacy for their children and sued the media if they are photograph without permission as they should. That is not special treatment, that is good parenting.
I agree. They received a significant amount of criticism when they established the mediacode, but it has given the AAA team the opportunity to have a more normal childhood.
Old 10-03-2014, 01:24 PM
Imperial Majesty

Commentary: William takes zero-tolerance stance over Prince George photographs-
Commentary: William takes zero-tolerance stance over Prince George photographs - UK - News - London Evening Standard

I agree that this may help:
"Perhaps, given the role Prince George will one day play, more set piece photo opportunities could be arranged in the future. That would probably reduce the marketing opportunities for paparazzi photographs in an instant."

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 10-03-2014, 01:30 PM
Heir Apparent

That's might be right but we've had

Lindo Wing Steps
Pix taken at Middleton's
More access than expected at christening (media were only expecting pix not video of George)
Christening pix
Christening arrival/leaving videos
The NZ/Aus tour access including 2 specific George events
(All this before 1 yr old)

Birthday pix.

Now I dont think that's bad, to be honest. So when the MEDIA, who make money from pix of George ask for MORE - how much more do they want?

Old 10-03-2014, 01:47 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post

That's might be right but we've had

Lindo Wing Steps
Pix taken at Middleton's
More access than expected at christening (media were only expecting pix not video of George)
Christening pix
Christening arrival/leaving videos
The NZ/Aus tour access including 2 specific George events
(All this before 1 yr old)

Birthday pix.

Now I dont think that's bad, to be honest. So when the MEDIA, who make money from pix of George ask for MORE - how much more do they want?
I see your point. I don't think these recent pictures of George in the park has been published in the UK media. Am I correct?

I think William & Catherine and palace officials just don't want George to be followed around when he's taking his walks. They are worried about the security risks and they're asking the photographers to back off. The photographers should do just that or this may be taken to court.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 10-03-2014, 01:55 PM
Heir Apparent

Mainstream UK press have not published the pix in the park as far as I know. That seemed to be the view on twitter yesterday.

If there were more organised picture ops of George then the mainstream media would have access but the paps wouldn't so Ikon Pictures would miss out.

Also most of the pictures would be the same.

IT's not more that some of the media want - it's "different" - candid shots, not posed. But I think posed is better than none at all.

The only moan from the UK press that I think is valid is that it was the tour abroad that gave the best access to George - need something like that at home.

Also - forgot another picture - the Family shot incl Lupo. Great pic, how could I have forgotten that one.

We have had more access to George than we had to William IMO.

Old 10-03-2014, 01:55 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
I just think it is pointless to try and argue against why anybody should be denied the right to roam freely in a public park.
I am not arguing anything. I have made comments and the argument is coming from elsewhere.
Old 10-03-2014, 02:15 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Also - forgot another picture - the Family shot incl Lupo. Great pic, how could I have forgotten that one.

and polo game pics
Old 10-03-2014, 02:31 PM
Heir Apparent

The list I made was of authorised pictures following on from Dman posting a quote about the Cambridges doing more posed pix. It specifically avoided candid shots.

But posed pictures are never exclusive and that's the real issue - candids can be exclusive and therefore worth more.

I liked those pix from the polo and the photographers were out there, publically taking pictures and the couple knew about it.

Old 10-03-2014, 02:46 PM
Heir Apparent

General News and Information for the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

Quote:
Mainstream UK press have not published the pix in the park as far as I know. That seemed to be the view on twitter yesterday.

If there were more organised picture ops of George then the mainstream media would have access but the paps wouldn't so Ikon Pictures would miss out.

Also most of the pictures would be the same.

IT's not more that some of the media want - it's "different" - candid shots, not posed. But I think posed is better than none at all.

The only moan from the UK press that I think is valid is that it was the tour abroad that gave the best access to George - need something like that at home.

It is not like the UK press were not on the tour. They got the same stories and photos. It maybe several years until George returns to Aus/NZ. William went as a baby and didn't return until he was a man.

The UK media will have plenty of more photo opps- balcony on trooping the color, visiting new sibling at hospital, first day at school, etc...

Plus during the tour, some took candids in Canberra even though you had the great zoo footage the day before.

Old 10-03-2014, 03:09 PM
Serene Highness

Let's also add the pics that were taken when Catherine was playing with George in the gardens of the Government House in New Zealand or Australia (can't remember which-please correct me, someone). Photographers can't really hide behind the "these are public places" argument because so many of their brethren also insist on sneaking pics of the royals on private property, too.

Also, where does the "keep George in private areas" argument logically extend? Don't take him on vacation unless it's in a fortress? Keep him caged in private property until he's 18?

It's not like royals enjoy the same privileges and awe of their ancient forebears (though admittedly they enjoy enormous privilege), since in ancient times you could still have a lot of secrets while still in public service.
Old 10-03-2014, 03:16 PM
Heir Apparent

They got snapped at the Govt House in Sydney Easter morning with George out on the lawn with WK in their church clothes and the next day which was an off day at Canberra's Govt House where there was the walk with Wills and the row row your boat George and Kate.

Old 10-03-2014, 03:54 PM
Imperial Majesty

I agree that those candid shots can be the best though.

I knew those pictures of Prince George and nanny Maria in the parks were going to lead to some palace action. It also worried me that George was being followed. That's one thing about parents...they will bite anyone's head off when it comes down to their children's security. William & Catherine are no different. They have a second child on the way too. They won't play around with the media and their kids. Everyone will have to get used to that.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Closed Thread