The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-31-2014, 06:35 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daria_S View Post
Interesting. I wonder if they'll visit an orphanage over there. I think if this couple took up working with orphanages in Eastern Europe and China, so many more children from those nations (especially with special needs) will get homes. The plight of orphans is something that is for one reason or another is put on the back burner.
IF this happens, the Cambridges will go as representatives of the British Government. So they do not decide the agenda.

So be realistic about what is possible.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 09-01-2014, 03:15 PM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

https://twitter.com/British_Heir/sta...191680/photo/1

Old 09-01-2014, 09:08 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
It is the governments . Putin stopped Russian orphans from being adopted by Americans. But that is going off topic.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Yes, Putin stopped American adoptions, but there are other countries in that region too, but that's besides the point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
IF this happens, the Cambridges will go as representatives of the British Government. So they do not decide the agenda.

So be realistic about what is possible.
I got a little carried away there. You make good points .

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 09-01-2014, 10:04 PM
Heir Apparent

Princess Caroline of Monaco regularly sues publications for pictures of her minor children and wins. On the continent it is illegal to take pictures of any children even in a. Public place.
Old 09-02-2014, 12:49 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Interesting. I wonder if they'll visit an orphanage over there. I think if this couple took up working with orphanages in Eastern Europe and China, so many more children from those nations (especially with special needs) will get homes. The plight of orphans is something that is for one reason or another is put on the back burner.
Orphans are not on the back burner. It just isn't reported much. Tons of people are out there spending their treasure to adopt these children, but the countries of origin do not wish to cooperate.

There would be a hue and cry, as there are orphanages in the UK that need attention.
Old 09-02-2014, 04:24 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta View Post
Orphans are not on the back burner. It just isn't reported much. Tons of people are out there spending their treasure to adopt these children, but the countries of origin do not wish to cooperate.

There would be a hue and cry, as there are orphanages in the UK that need attention.
I'm well aware that there are people who are adopting children. I follow a lot of adoption blogs, and currently, trying to figure out how to adopt a little one from China myself. It's unfortunate that countries of origin don't want to cooperate, since it doesn't look like there are people in the said countries that are willing to adopt a child with special needs. I've come across some horror stories that made my stomach churn.

However, there's no reason why the Cambridges can't take on the plight of orphans in the UK along with those in other countries as their cause. They're a high-profile couple, and they could bring so much awareness, but I guess everyone has different opinions of what's doable, and I certainly don't hold it against them if they choose to support the causes they support. They do a lot of good, which is what counts in the end.

Old 09-02-2014, 04:48 PM
Heir Apparent

I'm excited about a possible tour of China, along with any possible spotlight on orphans.
Old 09-02-2014, 05:13 PM
Heir Apparent

Because of the royals need to appear apolitical. It would hard to them to campaign for another countries orphans directly. It would have to be done via a charity such as Harry's Senteable.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 09-03-2014, 01:32 AM
Heir Apparent

^^^I agree. Anything that they do cannot be seen to contradict official government positions/policies or they will likely face real consequences ie: Belgium's Prince Laurent.
Old 09-03-2014, 05:45 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
PLANS are being drawn up for the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge to make a historic royal tour of China, The Sunday Times can reveal-
William woos China to atone for Charles’s ‘waxworks’ jibe | The Sunday Times
Your tax pounds at work. William and Catherine to suck up to the Chinese government because relations got a little frosty when the Prime Minister and Prince Charles met with the Dali Lama. It will be interesting to see what eventuates.

Quote:
This couple will be representatives of HM and the British govenment. They will be there for diplomatic, political, and trade reasons.

The very last thing they will do is insult their hosts by 'showing the world they should care about chinese orphans'! I mean that's really cool. Go to a foreign country and tell you hosts that they are ill treating their orphan children.

It might create a great deal of warm fuzzies and open a whole lot of chequebooks, but not a penny will reach those orphans. Meanwhile the loud clanging of the diplomatic and trade doors slamming shut would resound as their trip was cut short for "diplomatic reasons".

Nobody would be amused.
Old 09-03-2014, 02:32 PM
Heir Apparent

I really do not see a problem if the Cambridges were to take on a patronage such as the charity Reece's Rainbow that deals with special needs orphans in Eastern Europe and Asia.
This charity has a branch in Canada and since William and Catherine are going to be monarch and consort of Canada what would be the issue?
That would be quite different from going on tour highlighting different governments poor care of these children which someone's gotta do, although the BRF cannot get too political. Still, William and Catherine would be ideal for the cause, and if they want to visit a few of the orphanages RR tries to help, why not?
May I remind you that the Duchess of York, her girls, Princess Diana, and Princess Anne Prince Harry visit/ visited orphanages, without an uproar. I say good for them. If Catherine and William take up orphans I'd be more than amused. I understand future monarchs have to tread carefully, but if they took it up I'd be thrilled. These countries need to improve their standards of care which barely exist , and are awful. No words for how awful. I know I come on strong, but when children are Dying horrible deaths without medical care,when they are abused and suffer horribly, and are denied human contact and love then I don't apologize. It is beyond sad that 2 people who are capable of doing good for suffering children are going to be stopped by politics.
Needless to say MARG, I disagree with you. No hard feelings- just disagree.
( PS. Check out the kids on Reece's Rainbow. Your opinion may be different afterwards. No one who loves children can fail to be moved.) Education needs to occur for people who are not aware of the crisis. William and Catherine would be ideal for that.
Old 09-03-2014, 04:50 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseroyal View Post
I really do not see a problem if the Cambridges were to take on a patronage such as the charity Reece's Rainbow that deals with special needs orphans in Eastern Europe and Asia.
This charity has a branch in Canada and since William and Catherine are going to be monarch and consort of Canada what would be the issue?
That would be quite different from going on tour highlighting different governments poor care of these children which someone's gotta do, although the BRF cannot get too political. Still, William and Catherine would be ideal for the cause, and if they want to visit a few of the orphanages RR tries to help, why not?
May I remind you that the Duchess of York, her girls, Princess Diana, and Princess Anne Prince Harry visit/ visited orphanages, without an uproar. I say good for them. If Catherine and William take up orphans I'd be more than amused. I understand future monarchs have to tread carefully, but if they took it up I'd be thrilled. These countries need to improve their standards of care which barely exist , and are awful....
I'd hardly consider this Sarah Ferguson could face jail in Turkey over orphans TV documentary - Mirror Online to be 'without an uproar.'
We all have our causes which we are personally passionate about. The plight of orphans in various countries already receives massive charitable attention. And I'm @ a loss to understand why this thread has become a tad derailed into a call for the Cambridges to take up the plight of orphans worldwide. I personally wish they'd take up global warming and the potential destruction of the atmosphere and all 7 billion human beings on the planet, but understand the Cambridges may not agree with my particular passion or may not see themselves as appropriate spokespersons to sound the clarion call to action in this particular arena.
The Cambridges & Harry appear to me to be approaching things from a 'less is more' perspective, ie: they seem to be focusing on a few core charities and trying to really make a difference through those charities rather than attaching their names to every worthwhile sounding cause or group. I recall they did an international call for aid through the red cross regarding starvation in Africa early on in the marriage, Harry has Sentebale w/ Lesotho, and William animal conservation in Africa (particularly rhinos,) but generally aren't most of their efforts rightfully focused on their own country?
Moreover, a visit by the Cambridges may soften barriers thus allowing future efforts in regards to issues such as the care of orphans to be more successfully addressed going forward by those actively working in that arena. As the saying goes, you catch more flies with honey than vinegar.
Old 09-03-2014, 05:07 PM
Heir Apparent

Having causes that you believe in is good.

My comment ( back a page or so) was that they have no control over an agenda that is determined by Uk government.

so if they dont major on a cause close to your heart, there is no ground for criticism.

I have a number of issues Id like them to be involved with but not in China

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 09-03-2014, 05:33 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I would think that British royals would run into some odd predicaments should they decide to sponsor charities and causes that relate to foreign countries such as China and Turkey. The Monarch and her family do not even visit foreign countries officially unless there is an invite. For a British royal to take on a charity or a cause on foreign soil, it may lead to political and cultural backlash even. We saw what happened with Sarah's intervention for an orphanage in Turkey and they were quick to jump on all kinds of legality that she could be facing. If, perchance, this had been a member of the British Royal Family, the backlash would have been even worse and could maybe even start an international crisis for the UK.
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down happy. They told me I didnt understand the assignment, and I told them they didnt understand life.
― John Lennon
Old 09-03-2014, 07:08 PM
Heir Apparent

I agree with those here that see cross-border sponsorships as complex.
This is off topic and let's not continue this, but as an example, Sentable is perfect.
There was reported coup in Lesotho last week. The PM fled and has since returned to the country. He is being guarded by South African forces. "A way forward has not been publicized." Conflict is never good for the poorest and weakest of a nation. In any case, Harry's worthy charity, its workers, facilities and the children whom it supports are put at risk because of political instability. It's problematic and not simple at all. It could all become dust in the wind, despite Harry's good intentions.
Lets say the Cambridges decided to come in and speak for the poor of (as example) any number of rural stretches in my country where poverty is endemic and rampant (they would not as Cepe has explained, but I am using this an an example). We have these places, trust me.
They might be right to focus attention on the issue but the message would be lost in the indignation. Part of the American press would be on them like hounds - and the the press would never relent!
People freak out even when religious leaders claim the high moral ground and speak against world poverty. I can only imagine the headlines: "Millionaire Duke and Duchess who live in two fabulous homes decry orphanages in war torn and bankrupt (Insert name of Country)." "George is pushed in a $2000 baby carriage while his Mom calls out (insert name of country) for poor care in orphanages," or "Duchess in $5000 frock finds no heart for destitute orphanages."
Old 09-03-2014, 07:47 PM
Majesty

Quote:
May I remind you that the Duchess of York, her girls, Princess Diana, and Princess Anne Prince Harry visit/ visited orphanages, without an uproar. I say good for them. If Catherine and William take up orphans I'd be more than amused. I understand future monarchs have to tread carefully, but if they took it up I'd be thrilled. These countries need to improve their standards of care which barely exist , and are awful. No words for how awful. I know I come on strong, but when children are Dying horrible deaths without medical care,when they are abused and suffer horribly, and are denied human contact and love then I don't apologize. It is beyond sad that 2 people who are capable of doing good for suffering children are going to be stopped by politics.
( PS. Check out the kids on Reece's Rainbow. Your opinion may be different afterwards. No one who loves children can fail to be moved.) Education needs to occur for people who are not aware of the crisis. William and Catherine would be ideal for that.
I'm in complete agreement with you (as you know from our private conversations), but ti looks like our world is wrapped up in political correctness. Heaven forbid someone that can help a cause would open his/her mouth, and actually try to help. It's extremely frustrating. I don't want to get too political, but that's pretty much my take.

Like you, I disagree with MARG, and feel that global warming is nothing to cry about, since there are way too many people crying about it already (and it's getting way too tiresome).

Quote:
so if they dont major on a cause close to your heart, there is no ground for criticism.
Just for the record, I was not criticizing this couple for not taking up a cause that I feel strongly about. If it came across as such, I apologize. It's hard to get the tone of one's voice through a post on a forum, that's for sure .

Old 09-04-2014, 03:56 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Having causes that you believe in is good.

My comment ( back a page or so) was that they have no control over an agenda that is determined by Uk government.

I have a number of issues Id like them to be involved with but not in China
Quote:
Umm, what exactly do you disagree with me about?
Old 09-04-2014, 05:04 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Pics from NZ Woman Daily George playing football with nanny.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BwezdrkCQAA0L7-.jpg:large
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BwezhqDCUAAaXpl.jpg:large
Old 09-04-2014, 05:53 AM
Heir Apparent

UK leads Tourism Australia figures, thanks to Prince George
Quote:
Figures released by Tourism Research Australia revealed that Australias tourism market had a healthy growth period, with record spending, which coincided with the visit by the royal couple, The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and their baby son George.
For the 12 months ending 30 June this year, Australias tourism has seen a healthy rise in tourism figures of 8%. This means that 6.1 million international visitors passed through Australias customs gates and for the first time ever, they went on to spend more than AUD$30 billion.
Tourism Research Australias survey also suggests that the Brits were the biggest cash splashers, spending 19% more on their Australian visit than they had done in previous years. The rise has been contributed mainly to Tourism Australias innovative marketing campaign in the UK and the visit by the Royals positively impacting on these figures too.
The research said that passenger volumes between the UK and Australia increased by almost 50%.
Old 09-04-2014, 12:25 PM
Nobility

He's growing...he's getting cuter
Looks comfortable with his nanny

Closed Thread