The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-03-2014, 09:05 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Helping others is a very honorable job and I think having a side job is great but there has to be a better balance between his side job and his royal duties. He mentioned that his military job presented a problem when it came down to his official duties and the problem was increasing with time. So perhaps he can do his side job on a part-time level?
I don't think he calls the shots here. As others have said, perhaps Her Majesty and Prince of Wales feel that the Cambridges are doing enough, and therefore support his decision to do royal duties part time. Personally, as much as I love seeing William (and Catherine) amongst the people, I also have no problem with them doing it part time. They have a toddler at home, and I have a feeling that this decision came with his well-being (and privacy) in mind. It's much quieter in the country, and they can have all the time in the world to be a real family.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 08-03-2014, 10:01 PM
Courtier

I wonder if the thought was that they were going to lose Prince Philip, but then he got much better, and William was not needed full time.

Old 08-03-2014, 10:04 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daria_S View Post
I don't think he calls the shots here. As others have said, perhaps Her Majesty and Prince of Wales feel that the Cambridges are doing enough, and therefore support his decision to do royal duties part time. Personally, as much as I love seeing William (and Catherine) amongst the people, I also have no problem with them doing it part time. They have a toddler at home, and I have a feeling that this decision came with his well-being (and privacy) in mind. It's much quieter in the country, and they can have all the time in the world to be a real family.
I don't know where the idea came from that the Cambridge's aren't needed very much. The Queen has given William the role of carrying out Investitures on her behalf, Catherine is about to represent the Queen on a solo trip to Malta. They seem to be attending State events as well. They are needed on the world stage so the idea of tossing their official duties aside once again just don't seem right, IMO. They have an Equerry and a full-time nanny now. They can do more.

I think William could do a side job part-time so he and Catherine can make sure they can focus on their official duties and charities as well.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 08-03-2014, 10:59 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daria_S View Post
I think he does. I think the idea that when the monarch's word was law within the family is not really the case with the royal millenials, no matter what Will may tell us in interviews.

I think Will changed his mind within the last year, or was reluctant with the plan last year from the beginning. I believe that the plan was for him to assume royal duties, not for the family to live in East Anglia and for Will to take another outside job. Why take so much time to furnish KP if this were a mere transitional home? Why decorate the nursery to the extent they did? Why fit in a personal kitchen for the family meals if they were not ready to move in permanently? Surely their tastes would change when it came time to move in permanently (this could be years from now if the plan is for them to move to KP when he is heir) and they'd want to decorate it then. Why do some 10 week course on running the Duchy of Cornwall if he were going off to a helicopter job for the next few years? It doesn't make sense - he would have taken the bespoke course closer to the time he was going to help run the Duchy. The only thing that makes sense to me is that Will changed his mind. I'm being objective here - I'm not saying this change of mind is a good thing or a bad thing, I'm being neutral.
Old 08-03-2014, 11:27 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieGiraffe View Post
I think he does. I think the idea that when the monarch's word was law within the family is not really the case with the royal millenials, no matter what Will may tell us in interviews.

I think Will changed his mind within the last year, or was reluctant with the plan last year from the beginning. I believe that the plan was for him to assume royal duties, not for the family to live in East Anglia and for Will to take another outside job. Why take so much time to furnish KP if this were a mere transitional home? Why decorate the nursery to the extent they did? Why fit in a personal kitchen for the family meals if they were not ready to move in permanently? Surely their tastes would change when it came time to move in permanently (this could be years from now if the plan is for them to move to KP when he is heir) and they'd want to decorate it then. Why do some 10 week course on running the Duchy of Cornwall if he were going off to a helicopter job for the next few years? It doesn't make sense - he would have taken the bespoke course closer to the time he was going to help run the Duchy. The only thing that makes sense to me is that Will changed his mind. I'm being objective here - I'm not saying this change of mind is a good thing or a bad thing, I'm being neutral.
Something just don't seem right about the whole thing, IMO.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 08-04-2014, 12:13 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
If I'm not mistaken, Anmer Hall was given to Will to use when he turned 30 and he is now 32. I think it just comes in handy now that he may have a chance to work in Norfolk and raise his family in the country for the next 2 years. Its not like KP and its renovations were done as a transitional home, over the next two years it will be their base in London and most likely, once the two years are up and they take on more and more full time royal duties, the Cambridges will be like the other royals. Home base in the city with a country estate.

The Firm most likely looked at all options and noted that Will and Kate really aren't needed right now for full time work and extending the part time royal, part time public service is a solution that will work for now. For now I think is the key phrase in all of this. With the advanced ages of the Queen and the DoE, its a given that these plans could change at the drop of a hat and things are pretty much set that should the Cambridges be called back to London to cover more royal duties, they're pretty much set to make a quick, permanent move back to KP.

The BRF doesn't do things on a whim or without thought.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 08-04-2014, 12:38 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
If I'm not mistaken, Anmer Hall was given to Will to use when he turned 30 and he is now 32. I think it just comes in handy now that he may have a chance to work in Norfolk and raise his family in the country for the next 2 years. Its not like KP and its renovations were done as a transitional home, over the next two years it will be their base in London and most likely, once the two years are up and they take on more and more full time royal duties, the Cambridges will be like the other royals. Home base in the city with a country estate.

The Firm most likely looked at all options and noted that Will and Kate really aren't needed right now for full time work and extending the part time royal, part time public service is a solution that will work for now. For now I think is the key phrase in all of this. With the advanced ages of the Queen and the DoE, its a given that these plans could change at the drop of a hat and things are pretty much set that should the Cambridges be called back to London to cover more royal duties, they're pretty much set to make a quick, permanent move back to KP.

The BRF doesn't do things on a whim or without thought.
Is it right for them to wait until The Queen or Prince Philip falls ill or dies for them to do their part in the "Firm"? Again, the side job seems great but it shouldn't take them away from their official responsibilities though. William & Catherine weren't doing much of anything when they were a military family. Is it wise to go back to doing just that?

I just really question this idea of them cutting back on their official duties and charitable roles to taking a full-time job in the Air Ambulance, if that's the job. Okay, William would be busy most of the time but where does this leave Catherine? Not many people will buy that she's busy taking care of George and don't have much time for official engagements when it's already known that that they have a full-time nanny now.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 08-04-2014, 03:20 AM
Majesty

Why William resigned from the RAF is a mystery because it just plain makes no sense. William has never had an ebullient nature and to be honest, the most enthusiasm he has ever shown was for his flying career, which he obviously loved. Confounding us because there was no clear career or calling that was motivating such a radical change.

It was therefore, hardly surprising that word came from KP that he was, in effect, taking yet another gap year to presumably discover his passion since it became very clear, very quickly, that being a full time royal "living over the £4.5 million refitted shop" at KP wasn't it.

It is curious that a 32 year old man with his birthright and advantages is still given to acting with childish petulance or just plain sulking much of the time. To be honest, I would at least admire him if he came out and said he and his wife were retiring from public life and moving to Anmer Hall at Sandringham until further notice. At least we would all know what was what, no false expectations, no disappointments.

Whatever the cause, this is a rare mis-step by the BRF and handled very poorly by their combined public relations office!
Old 08-04-2014, 03:25 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieGiraffe View Post

I agree with you Gracie. This would not be the first time William has changed his mind and put his foot down. The taking up of the helicopter flying was one such incident. This happened around the time when Kate had her roller skate event.
Old 08-04-2014, 11:53 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

I'm laughing at the thought of William and Kate refusing to take on royal duties, while the Queen and Prince Charles look helplessly on.

I have a hard time believing that the Queen gives more thought and energy into the clothes her grandson wore to his wedding, than she does about the future of the monarchy. I can buy the Queen giving her children and grandchildren a little leeway, but when it comes to big things dealing with the firm, I have no doubt that she is in full charge. There is no way that William and Kate are sitting at home refusing to do royal duties and calling the shots.

I'm not sure why people keep focusing on the remodel of KP. The apartment is hardly going to go to waste. Even if they live in Amner Hall for the next two years, they are still going to be using the apartment whenever they come to London for royal duties. Plus, once they go full-time, KP will be their official residence.

As someone said earlier, it's possible that William quit the RAF because they thought Philip's health was a bit more serious. Didn't Harry also announce he was taking a desk job during that time?

In any event, it says in the linked article that William and Kate will still be taking on a number of royal duties, so it's not like they are going to disappear from the public. Until they have officially announced their plans, maybe people should hold off on calling them lazy.

Speaking of which, it's amazing that someone who is willing to risk his life to save others, is considered childish and lazy.
Old 08-04-2014, 12:09 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
Why William resigned from the RAF is a mystery because it just plain makes no sense. William has never had an ebullient nature and to be honest, the most enthusiasm he has ever shown was for his flying career, which he obviously loved. Confounding us because there was no clear career or calling that was motivating such a radical change.

It was therefore, hardly surprising that word came from KP that he was, in effect, taking yet another gap year to presumably discover his passion since it became very clear, very quickly, that being a full time royal "living over the £4.5 million refitted shop" at KP wasn't it.

It is curious that a 32 year old man with his birthright and advantages is still given to acting with childish petulance or just plain sulking much of the time. To be honest, I would at least admire him if he came out and said he and his wife were retiring from public life and moving to Anmer Hall at Sandringham until further notice. At least we would all know what was what, no false expectations, no disappointments.

Whatever the cause, this is a rare mis-step by the BRF and handled very poorly by their combined public relations office!
I admit that their office haven't handled things well but I think a great deal of that is down to their bosses. The whole thing has left even the veteran royal correspondents and reporters confused. They really shouldn't be doing anything that would cause them to cut back on their official duties, IMO.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 08-04-2014, 12:10 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLLK View Post
Agreed. It is possible that the only other apartments that were of the right size for a family were occupied by Gloucesters and Kents. William would have known of the pros-cons of his former home as well.
Agreed. and who knows, perhaps Harry is hoping for Diana's old apartments.
Old 08-04-2014, 12:13 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
I admit that their office haven't handled things well but I think a great deal of that is down to their bosses. The whole thing has left even the veteran royal correspondents and reporters confused. They really shouldn't be doing anything that would cause them to cut back on their official duties, IMO.
I agree - we might be shooting the messengers here.
Old 08-04-2014, 12:14 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by csw View Post
Agreed. and who knows, perhaps Harry is hoping for Diana's old apartments.
I'm not sure Diana's old apartment is available. It's been turned into an office for one of Charles's charities, from what I know. Of course it can be turned over to Harry, if that's what his plans are.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 08-04-2014, 12:33 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
I'm not sure Diana's old apartment is available. It's been turned into an office for one of Charles's charities, from what I know. Of course it can be turned over to Harry, if that's what his plans are.
Some of the rooms house w, k & h's offices and charities. If I remember correctly, the living/dining rooms were being redone in which to host charity functions.
Old 08-04-2014, 11:08 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:

It would be made available if it was wanted, just as William and Kate's apartment was.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app
Old 08-05-2014, 08:57 AM
Heir Apparent

Popsugar has published some shots of Kate, George and a memeber of the entourage walking the park (pics taken a month ago more or less). Now they have mysteriously been removed... You can find them on twitter... They are all spread now...
Old 08-05-2014, 09:17 AM
Heir Apparent

The woman with Kate and George is the RPO, Sgt Emma Probert.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 08-05-2014, 09:20 AM
Heir Apparent

Thanks I don't know why the pics were removed... maybe a scod from the palace? But if so they didn't object to the shots with the nanny
Old 08-05-2014, 10:39 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty91charmed View Post
Popsugar has published some shots of Kate, George and a memeber of the entourage walking the park (pics taken a month ago more or less). Now they have mysteriously been removed... You can find them on twitter... They are all spread now...
Maybe if they were less neurotic about the paps (and the public with camera phones), there would be less stress in their lives.