The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-24-2014, 03:08 PM

George looks so much like William.

Old 06-27-2014, 03:27 AM
Courtier

This article is not for everyone. If you have a wicked sense of humor you might like it.

JAN MOIR: These royal freeloaders are priceless! | Mail Online

Old 06-27-2014, 11:54 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
It doesn't necessarily mean a long wait. The queen is 88, Philip is 93 so in 5 years, that is 93 and 98. William as the heir apparent isn't that far away. Also the Danish queen is more closer to Charles age wise than the Queen. As next in line, Charles is in the same position as a couple of little girls in Spain and Holland but that doesn't really mean anything.
Startling numbers - when you lay it out. The Queen Mother did make it to be over 100 - so the time frame could be more 10 to 12 years, even as many as 15. I've decided I like the abdication route we've seen so much of now. The changeover happens not in a cloud of grief. However, I understand it will not happen with Queen Elizabeth. Different country - different sensibilities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
...so basically it seems that one rabid newspaper and a number of bonkers journos who work for it is making waves...PS I look at all papers except DM and The Star (more than tacky) most days.
Good to be reminded - it's like (here in the US) getting one's staple of news facts from The National Enquirer or The Globe or The Star located at supermarket check-out stands.
Old 06-27-2014, 01:50 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Any idea when (or if) Kate and William will attend Wimbledon. Since they got married she only missed last year cause of her pregnancy.

I was thinking maybe they will attend on Monday or maybe men's 1/4 final day on wednesday.

Old 06-27-2014, 02:03 PM
Heir Apparent

Kate has a school visit on July 1 and William will be in Scotland on the 3 and both of then plus Harry on the 5 for the Tour de France kickoff so Monday seems the best bet. Her parents went today and her siblings yesterday.
Old 06-28-2014, 03:52 PM
Administrator in Memoriam

Posts discussing the renovations at KP have been moved to the Cambridge Residences thread in the Royal Residences subforum.
Old 06-30-2014, 04:34 AM
Courtier

William and Kate aren't humble - they're a pair of spoiled kids wasting YOUR money - Carole Malone - Mirror Online

If the rich have money, what else are they gonna do?

1) Spend it;
2) Or leave it behind for the next generation!
Old 06-30-2014, 05:06 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by angieuk View Post
William and Kate aren't humble - they're a pair of spoiled kids wasting YOUR money - Carole Malone - Mirror Online

If the rich have money, what else are they gonna do?

1) Spend it;
2) Or leave it behind for the next generation!
I'm not sure that's the point of the article. It's about taxpayer money - not independent wealth. It's a curious bit of spin - for some reason it's been decided that the Cambridges are ripe for some bad press. The poll claims 69% do not think the royals are worth taxpayers' money - 31% do. Republican rumble - or just a slow news day?
Old 06-30-2014, 07:52 AM
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Nimue View Post
The poll claims 69% do not think the royals are worth taxpayers' money - 31% do. Republican rumble - or just a slow news day?
The poll is a self-selected sample of readers of a particular article. It's not a meaningful representation of overall public opinion.
Old 06-30-2014, 03:33 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
In regards to the rash of recent articles on how much of the "taxpayers" money is used to do necessary work on Kensington Palace, could someone correct my thinking here?

Its my understanding that the funding for the repairs such as the roof, removal of asbestos and structural work is funded by the Sovereign Grant which is given to the Queen from the profits of the Crown Estates correct? Where then do they figure that the taxes the people pay are figured into this all?

(walks away shaking her head confused)
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 06-30-2014, 07:01 PM
Heir Apparent

The profits from the Crown Estates go directly to the Treasury and then the Treasury pays back a certain percentage of the profits of CE to the Queen. Because the Treasury is a middleman, the papers can say its taxpayer's money but you can also say the profits from the Crown Estates are paying benefits to White Dee or the NHS.
Old 07-01-2014, 04:07 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
The profits from the Crown Estates go directly to the Treasury and then the Treasury pays back a certain percentage of the profits of CE to the Queen. Because the Treasury is a middleman, the papers can say its taxpayer's money but you can also say the profits from the Crown Estates are paying benefits to White Dee or the NHS.
Aha!! Thanks for the clarification Skippyboo. Its as I thought it was. The renovations are paid for by the money allotted to the Queen by the Treasury for that specific purpose of repairing and maintaining those structures.

That reality wouldn't really sell many papers now would it?
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 07-01-2014, 06:19 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfricanAUSSIE View Post
This article is not for everyone. If you have a wicked sense of humor you might like it.

JAN MOIR: These royal freeloaders are priceless! | Mail Online

Great!
BYe Bine
Old 07-01-2014, 11:28 PM
Imperial Majesty

New royal portrait of Prince William to be unveiled-
New royal portrait of Prince William to be unveiled | London - ITV News

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 07-02-2014, 12:36 AM
Heir Apparent

Eh...not a fan.
Old 07-02-2014, 03:54 AM
Nobility

He looks like he smelled something bad... It’s not my sort of painting. Btw.. I saw Kate’s portrait in London and it’s better in person. But it’s still too dark.
Old 07-02-2014, 05:03 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elenath View Post
He looks like he smelled something bad... It’s not my sort of painting. Btw.. I saw Kate’s portrait in London and it’s better in person. But it’s still too dark.
Perhaps George's dirty diaper. ;-)
Old 07-02-2014, 05:44 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
New royal portrait of Prince William to be unveiled-
New royal portrait of Prince William to be unveiled | London - ITV News
Ouch !
Bye Bine
Old 07-02-2014, 09:14 AM
Heir Apparent

I'm not an art expert but I do often wonder what's wrong with all this portraits... A classic one would be better and "safe" IMHO
Old 07-02-2014, 10:00 AM
Heir Apparent

I don't know where they went but they brought George too! Mini Middleton