The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-25-2014, 10:51 PM
Imperial Majesty

"So successful has the tour been that the Duke and Duchess plan a “ significant upsurge” in royal duties over the next few months.

After a break to recharge their batteries, they will begin a much busier than usual programme of events over June, July and August, a senior royal aide said yesterday.

What happens after that will depend on what William decides to do from September at the end of what Kensington Palace has called a “ transitional year”.

He could decide to take up full-time royal duties, undertake some sort of public service role for a charity or Government department, or do another year like this one, mixing royal duties with charity work and preparations for his future role as Prince of Wales.

A decision is expected in the next two to three months.

Palace officials have been reluctant to declare Kate’s maternity leave over.

But an aide said: “We have got a really busy programme for both of them and Prince Harry.

"There will be a significant upsurge in engagements.”"
The royal tour: Prince George... a star is born!
The royal tour: Prince George... a star is born | Royal | News | Daily Express

Seems like there the Cambridge's and even Prince Harry will be even more busy with official engagements this year. I think that's how it should be. I'll like to see them doing more back at home. They've proved they can do it on this official tour. The Queen will be hosting a State Visit in October, I expect to see William and Catherine attending it as well.

Richard Palmer ‏@RoyalReporter 1h
It's going to be a busy summer for royal news. When will we get a holiday? ;-)

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 04-26-2014, 09:19 AM
Heir Apparent

William has always been "reluctant" about taking on full royal duties... After all the next king will be his father... Didn't he said that he doesn't want to rush? (Willima I mean)

Old 04-26-2014, 02:34 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty91charmed View Post
William has always been "reluctant" about taking on full royal duties... After all the next king will be his father... Didn't he said that he doesn't want to rush? (Willima I mean)

Donīt know if he ever said it so plainly, but one canīt speak of "being rushed" at an age of 30 something! In that age his grandmother was head of state for almost 6 years. I think W was very lucky to have plenty of time preparing for his role not being the son of the monarch, but of the heir to throne.
Looking at CPs like Haakon, Frederik, the then P o Orange Willem A., Victoria, Félipe,... they all took up royal duties since they were 18 (!), only interrupted by their studies or military training, represented at state visits at home or went on official visits abroad.
William (and Harry) has such a great potential - it would be a shame not to use it for the country! And itīs time to release the Queen from parts of her duties!
Old 04-26-2014, 03:35 PM
Majesty

interesting move for william working in the public service! wonder what that actually means... i hope they can find a role where he can add some real value rather than being just a role "for the show". can't wait for more details...
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
Take some time to sign the petitions @: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/animal-welfare/all
Old 04-27-2014, 09:35 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by wartenberg7 View Post
Donīt know if he ever said it so plainly, but one canīt speak of "being rushed" at an age of 30 something! In that age his grandmother was head of state for almost 6 years. I think W was very lucky to have plenty of time preparing for his role not being the son of the monarch, but of the heir to throne.
Looking at CPs like Haakon, Frederik, the then P o Orange Willem A., Victoria, Félipe,... they all took up royal duties since they were 18 (!), only interrupted by their studies or military training, represented at state visits at home or went on official visits abroad.
William (and Harry) has such a great potential - it would be a shame not to use it for the country! And itīs time to release the Queen from parts of her duties!
I agree but he gives me the impression that he is not entusiastic about being king so maybe later he will take up this responsibily the better will be...
Old 04-27-2014, 09:43 AM
Administrator

You are making a comparison between William and Felipe, Haakon, Victoria when there is none IMO.

Although they are roughly in the same age category (30 to 40') you must remember that technically speaking.....William is the heir's heir. So technically, his peers as ridiculous as it sounds.... are Lenor, Ingrid Alexandra, Estelle, Christian, etc. Charles is the peer of Felipe, Haakon, and Victoria.

The BRF is in a unique position of being particularly deep as it relates to heirs. The last time they had to deal with 4 immediate successors was the birth of the future Edward VIII. At that time both Queen Victoria, and the future Edward VII, George V and Edward VIII were waiting in the wings.

Old 04-27-2014, 10:39 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
You are making a comparison between William and Felipe, Haakon, Victoria when there is none IMO.

Although they are roughly in the same age category (30 to 40') you must remember that technically speaking.....William is the heir's heir. So technically, his peers as ridiculous as it sounds.... are Lenor, Ingrid Alexandra, Estelle, Christian, etc. Charles is the peer of Felipe, Haakon, and Victoria.

The BRF is in a unique position of being particularly deep as it relates to heirs. The last time they had to deal with 4 immediate successors was the birth of the future Edward VIII. At that time both Queen Victoria, and the future Edward VII, George V and Edward VIII were waiting in the wings.
It is a very unique position they're in. I think both Charles & William have big roles to play in helping out the elderly Queen & Duke of Edinburgh. It's one of the reasons why I prefer to seeing both of the heirs together more often and with they're spouses.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 04-27-2014, 10:56 AM
Gentry

I have never thought of William as being reluctant to be King. I just get the feeling that he knows his place in the royal family and that is being the heir to the heir. I think he has always wanted to make it clear that his father, not him, is the next Monarch, especially with the media and Diana at some point hinting that the crown should skip Charles and go to William.

I think it's time the Cambridges increase their duties.
Old 04-27-2014, 11:12 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighnessN View Post
I have never thought of William as being reluctant to be King. I just get the feeling that he knows his place in the royal family and that is being the heir to the heir. I think he has always wanted to make it clear that his father, not him, is the next Monarch, especially with the media and Diana at some point hinting that the crown should skip Charles and go to William.

I think it's time the Cambridges increase their duties.
The media wants a younger and popular King & Queen on the throne, Diana always knew that Charles is the best prepared Prince of Wales and future King there is but she was going through a very tough and sad time in her marriage and she wanted hit Charles below the belt by saying that William should leap over Charles for the throne. She knew that wouldn't have happened anyway.

I think Charles is more than glad that his heir is able to take on very important roles within the "Firm." It was Charles who taught his son how to carry out Investitures.

I agree, it's time for the Cambridge's to take on more duties.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 04-27-2014, 12:51 PM
Heir Apparent

As the tour closed, the media was writing that more events were happening, so its already in train. Ive posted info about afuture event on the British Royal family thread, because it also include Harry. Its a very important event IMO

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 04-27-2014, 01:01 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:

You make an important point. Prince William is not the next heir. He and Catherine must walk a fine line and not upstage the Prince of Wales. A young and popular couple will get more attention but the last thing the royal family needs is a public push for William to take over when the next throne shift takes place. The reigning monarch have children that are closer to her than the Cambridges and they are still rightfully involved in supporting the Queen. William and Catherine's time will come.
Old 04-27-2014, 01:27 PM
Serene Highness

[QUOTE=Zonk;1660870]You are making a comparison between William and Felipe, Haakon, Victoria when there is none IMO.

You didnīt seem to understand me. I didnīt compare these persons with another. I just stated that William was lucky to be son of an heir (I said that very clear in my post!), and not of the monarch - otherwise he would have had to do lots of royal duties much sooner which the CPs and -Princess had to perform because THEY were children of the monarch.
Still it remains my opinion that it is not early for William, almost 32 years old and one of THE most important senior members of the Royal Family, to overtake more public duties - no matter immediate heir or not.
I hope you will agree that a man of over 30, who has founded a family himself, has to have different duties and responsibilities than a 10 year old girl.... (though I technically understand what you mean).
Old 04-27-2014, 02:42 PM
Serene Highness

As we all know, you can't always believe what you read in the tabloid press, or in other sources either. But--it has been frequently reported that Charles does not wish his young and glamourous children to overshadow their elders. The path leading up to Charles becoming King and Camilla becoming Queen consort needs to feature them and not the 'kids.' That is logical, whether anyone in the BRF would acknowledge it or not.

Abraham Lincoln
Old 04-27-2014, 02:53 PM
Heir Presumptive

[QUOTE=wartenberg7;1660953]
Quote:

You didnīt seem to understand me. I didnīt compare these persons with another. I just stated that William was lucky to be son of an heir (I said that very clear in my post!), and not of the monarch - otherwise he would have had to do lots of royal duties much sooner which the CPs and -Princess had to perform because THEY were children of the monarch.
Still it remains my opinion that it is not early for William, almost 32 years old and one of THE most important senior members of the Royal Family, to overtake more public duties - no matter immediate heir or not.
I hope you will agree that a man of over 30, who has founded a family himself, has to have different duties and responsibilities than a 10 year old girl.... (though I technically understand what you mean).
I would not consider Prince William ...one of THE most important senior members... He is still second in line behind a grandmother and father who may occupy the throne for another combined 30+ years.
Old 04-27-2014, 03:00 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladongas View Post
As we all know, you can't always believe what you read in the tabloid press, or in other sources either. But--it has been frequently reported that Charles does not wish his young and glamourous children to overshadow their elders. The path leading up to Charles becoming King and Camilla becoming Queen consort needs to feature them and not the 'kids.' That is logical, whether anyone in the BRF would acknowledge it or not.
Actually I don't feel there's an ounce of fear of overshadowing to be found. As much as Charles is a perfectionist and very meticulous and methodological in just about everything he undertakes (with the role he carved out for himself as Prince of Wales as the prime example), I am apt to believe that he would feel that if his son is going to be Duke of Cornwall and perhaps Prince of Wales in the not too far off future, he is going to assure that William is well trained and prepared for the role he'll step into.

It is not about just changing titles and going up rungs up the ladder towards the big cheese spot but also learning and knowing just what is involved and expected in certain roles. I know a lot of folks put heavy emphasis on amounts of public duties representing the monarch but I'm of the opinion that to the BRF, being prepared to actually step into the roles ahead of them is more of a priority.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 04-27-2014, 03:16 PM
Serene Highness

[QUOTE=grevinnan;1660970]
Quote:
Originally Posted by wartenberg7 View Post
I would not consider Prince William ...one of THE most important senior members... He is still second in line behind a grandmother and father who may occupy the throne for another combined 30+ years.

He simply is, because, besides the Queen, Charles or Harry, one of the best known persons of the BRF worldwide, while other Royals apart from The Queen, Charles, Harry and the Cambridges are virtually unknown outside Britain (and donīt say this doesnīt count in our world of media)
And heīs not any royal Duke x, but 2nd in line to the throne.
Of course Pr Charles was back in the 1950s also one of the most important persons of the royal family although he was just a kid and still had some 70 years to wait to fulfill his destiny.
Old 04-27-2014, 03:23 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladongas View Post

Charles and Camilla are overshadowed, and no one, not even Will. and Catherine themselves, can change that. Itīs kind of sad for Charles (and I say this without any irony, because I always respected the PoW), but thatīs the way it is.
To stop this, the Cambridges would have to disappear completely from the limelight for the next couple of years. But I think we all agree that this is neither possible nor desirable.
Taking up more responsibilities for the crown doesnīt mean to upstage the future sovereign (there were always different Royals supporting the monarch by doing royal functions and engagements without wanting to take up the throne for themselves... The Gloucesters, the Kents, far more down the line of succession than William, had very prominent and active parts to "play" during the 1940s and 50s).
Itīs not about replacing Pr. Charles by a younger, more glamorous couple! But William and Catherineīs popularity, for the sake of the monarchy, cannot be ignored!
Old 04-27-2014, 03:46 PM
Heir Apparent

There is a saying that people love really old royals and the young and glamorous royals. Right now you have the old royals with the Queen and Philip and the young ones with Will and Kate. In 20 yrs, Charles will be the old royal and George the young one. William & Kate will be the boring middle aged royals.

The royal reporters such as Richard Palmers says the William and Kate will be significantly increasing their royal duties this summer.
Old 04-27-2014, 05:52 PM
Courtier

William who used to work for the RAF and now possibly the Foreign Office is more important work than cutting ribbons
Old 04-28-2014, 02:35 AM
Imperial Majesty

70th D-Day. Prince William and Kate at Arromanches on June 6:
(According to the French Press) For the ceremonies of 70 th anniversary of the Normandy landings, the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, Prince William and his wife Kate Middleton are expected to Arromanches, June 6 This is the first official visit of the royal couple in France. With The Queen.
70e D-Day. Le prince William et Kate ā Arromanches le 6 juin

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Closed Thread