The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #761  
Old 04-04-2014, 06:21 PM
Sun Lion's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 621
Lots Of People Know They Will Be Meeting W & C...

Lots of people know they will be meeting the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, as every day there are photos and personal details - names, ages, positions, or where they are from - in the papers.

All are saying they are excited and looking forward to it - as you would be.

Some "Nippers" will be meeting W and C at the Surf Life-Saving event at Manly, and some Girl Guides are getting their moment in the Blue Mountains.

("Nippers" are little children who join the surf-life savers. Best if you live in a beach suburb, as not such a journey to training etc. They will be putting on a display for the Duke and Duchess.)

Cheers All, Sun Lion.
__________________

  #762  
Old 04-04-2014, 06:22 PM
Dman's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 8,734
Royal jet-set: Why Prince George is going long-haul-
Royal jet-set: Why Prince George is going long-haul - CNN.com
__________________

__________________
"If you are always trying to be normal you will never know how amazing you can be."

Dr. Maya Angelou
  #763  
Old 04-04-2014, 06:28 PM
Iluvbertie's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Bathurst, Australia
Posts: 9,315
Interesting discussion in my staffroom yesterday at lunchtime - a total of around 25 people present and NONE of them even knew William and Kate were coming to Australia as they have seen no coverage. After lunch we decided to do a straw poll of the kids and same result - a school of over 800 people aged from 5 - 67 and NONE knew they were coming next week besides me.

The coverage here is very, very low key. I live within walking distance, now, of the showground so would expect to hear something but nothing. The local newsagent hasn't got anything with any coverage - I asked about when the new Women's Weekly was coming in as it has George on the front cover and he said that he is expecting his monthly order of 10 on Monday and has no pre-orders over the norm - which is unusual for royal coverage. He has had no pre-orders over normal for any of the women's magazines for the next month. The local supermarket hasn't any copies yet either and normally they order an extra 20% when a royal is on the cover but they haven't ordered any extras - didn't know anything royal was happening.

As for the papers - the print editions may have something but no one I know buys the print editions anymore so a lot of that coverage isn't reaching people in my circle.
  #764  
Old 04-04-2014, 06:42 PM
Sun Lion's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 621
Hi Iluvbertie...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
Interesting discussion in my staffroom yesterday at lunchtime - a total of around 25 people present and NONE of them even knew William and Kate were coming to Australia as they have seen no coverage. After lunch we decided to do a straw poll of the kids and same result - a school of over 800 people aged from 5 - 67 and NONE knew they were coming next week besides me.

The coverage here is very, very low key. I live within walking distance, now, of the showground so would expect to hear something but nothing. The local newsagent hasn't got anything with any coverage - I asked about when the new Women's Weekly was coming in as it has George on the front cover and he said that he is expecting his monthly order of 10 on Monday and has no pre-orders over the norm - which is unusual for royal coverage. He has had no pre-orders over normal for any of the women's magazines for the next month. The local supermarket hasn't any copies yet either and normally they order an extra 20% when a royal is on the cover but they haven't ordered any extras - didn't know anything royal was happening.

As for the papers - the print editions may have something but no one I know buys the print editions anymore so a lot of that coverage isn't reaching people in my circle.


Hi Iluvbertie - perhaps I'm watching too much telly.

Already this morning - and it's not yet 9.30am Saturday morning - I've seen -

-Princess Anne on the TV saying she has eaten horse-meat and "it's very good".

- I've been warned to brace myself for the engagement of Prince Harry and his girlfriend - as they will be getting married "sooner than anyone expects", (friends have been speaking out).

- and even the editor of the paper had something to say in his column today - he's in favour of their Royal Tour.

I checked out PG's "Women's Weekly" a few days ago - the writer, (not sure if it was the editor or someone else) - has travelled to the UK to start the Royal ball rolling.

Every and any thing Royal is getting covered.

All the daytime TV news shows will be reporting direct from the events as they happen. They blitzed CP Mary and CP Frederik of Denmark last October, and this is on a much bigger scale.

Cheers, Sun Lion.
  #765  
Old 04-04-2014, 06:45 PM
PetticoatLane's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: A Small Town, United Kingdom
Posts: 273
Well, Iluvbertie, if you personally don't know anyone who's interested in the visit then William and Kate just shouldn't go. Clearly no-one's bothered.
  #766  
Old 04-04-2014, 06:51 PM
Dman's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 8,734
You're not going to hear much about anything else but William & Catherine and baby George once they arrive.
__________________
"If you are always trying to be normal you will never know how amazing you can be."

Dr. Maya Angelou
  #767  
Old 04-04-2014, 07:13 PM
Roslyn's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Tintenbar, Australia
Posts: 3,313
Bertie, I'm surprised your local newsagent doesn't have the "Women's Weekly" with George on the cover. It has been in supermarkets up here for over a week, maybe even two.
  #768  
Old 04-04-2014, 07:15 PM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Atlanta, United States
Posts: 1,899
Maybe CNN will stop some of their non stop missing plane coverage for some Max Foster royal tour coverage for us in the States. Good Morning America has pretty good royal coverage. They mentioned the Queen visiting the Pope the other day.

I don't think we will get photos of them leaving Heathrow since they are flying commercial. We didn't see any when they went to SE Asia. The Canadian tour was different since the Canadians sent an Air Force plane to pick them up.
  #769  
Old 04-04-2014, 07:22 PM
RoyalDaisy's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
Maybe CNN will stop some of their non stop missing plane coverage for some Max Foster royal tour coverage for us in the States. Good Morning America has pretty good royal coverage. They mentioned the Queen visiting the Pope the other day.

I don't think we will get photos of them leaving Heathrow since they are flying commercial. We didn't see any when they went to SE Asia. The Canadian tour was different since the Canadians sent an Air Force plane to pick them up.
Small chance that we may see them transfer from the commercial flight after it lands in Australia to the NZ RAF plane. There's usually someone with a camera or a phone!
  #770  
Old 04-04-2014, 07:41 PM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Atlanta, United States
Posts: 1,899
I would imagine they would go to the VIP lounge at the Australian airport while all of their luggage is transferred from one plane to another. At some point, they would need to change their clothes and put on the suits and dresses for the welcome ceremony at Wellington.
  #771  
Old 04-04-2014, 07:43 PM
Iluvbertie's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Bathurst, Australia
Posts: 9,315
Quote:
Originally Posted by PetticoatLane View Post
Well, Iluvbertie, if you personally don't know anyone who's interested in the visit then William and Kate just shouldn't go. Clearly no-one's bothered.

That isn't what I am saying.

I am saying that they don't even know it is happening because they aren't seeing any coverage on TV or in other media outlets.

Being a school we don't have time to watch daytime TV as the students and staff are in classes and as we start at 8.10 a.m. and staff are expected to be at school at least 30 minutes before the first bell we don't have time to watch any morning talkshows either.

The point I am making is that the coverage is very sparse and of the around 800 people at my workplace NONE of them knew that William and Kate are coming.

They may hear something about it once the school holidays begin.

When I compare that situation to Mary and Frederick's visit last year - where the students were excited for about two weeks beforehand - probably because there was a reason for the visit - the Opera House - where as this visit is a visit for no particularly reason.

If William and Kate want to come - fine - and if people wish to go and see them also fine. As there is no way to guarantee seeing them on the two days they are in Sydney - going to the Easter Show - with another 100,000+ people isn't my idea of a fun day out so will be giving that day a miss, same with going to the zoo on a public holiday - too crowded and there really is no where else to see them in Sydney. I will be at church on Easter Sunday when they are attending church and I won't set foot in St Andrew's anyway (personal reasons) and the surf living saving thingy - I wouldn't even know how to get there.

The problem with their time in Sydney will be gauging real interest as they have chosen to go to two places where the crowds would be there anyway so don't read anything into any figures you see for Good Friday at the show - most of those people, if not all, would have been at the show anyway on that day and the same with the zoo. Will look good for the propagandists in the UK but in reality that won't be any indication - same as last year's visit by Harry - I have seen people claim that the 1,000,000+ people who turned out that day were there to see Harry rather than that fact that they would have been there anyway to see the Review and that Harry wasn't the attraction at all.

There may be some people around the entrance to the Opera House when they go to the reception - but as that is one of the busiest transport hubs in the city again - how many actually are there to see William and Kate and how many would have been there anyway and took the opportunity to see them just because they were there.

That is what happened to my brother - he had no interest in seeing Charles and Camilla but was at the Melbourne Cup when they were there and due to his job on the day was introduced to them - found out that would be happening when he got to the racecourse that day mind you and that was the case for a number of people.
  #772  
Old 04-04-2014, 07:50 PM
Iluvbertie's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Bathurst, Australia
Posts: 9,315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
I would imagine they would go to the VIP lounge at the Australian airport while all of their luggage is transferred from one plane to another. At some point, they would need to change their clothes and put on the suits and dresses for the welcome ceremony at Wellington.
They can do that on the plane just before it lands - like many business people do every day of the week.
  #773  
Old 04-04-2014, 07:52 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Top End, Australia
Posts: 413
Quote:
Originally Posted by PetticoatLane View Post
Well, Iluvbertie, if you personally don't know anyone who's interested in the visit then William and Kate just shouldn't go. Clearly no-one's bothered.
Personally, I think it would be wonderful if they didn't come and the media gave us a break from this already over-hyped couple.

I disagree with Bertie though. The morning programmes are on the at gym and, although I can't hear what's being said, there looks to have been an item on each of the programmes every morning last week. I am anticipating wall to wall coverage while the tour is on.

I do agree that I personally don't know anyone who is going to see them. They are in Brisbane during the Easter weekend and most people I know will be going away. Having said that, I'm sure there will be huge crowds of people out to see them when they are here.
  #774  
Old 04-04-2014, 09:00 PM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Atlanta, United States
Posts: 1,899
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
They can do that on the plane just before it lands - like many business people do every day of the week.
It's an Air Force plane from Australia to NZ, the bathroom could be tiny. I wouldn't want to fly 20+ hours and then face the worlds press who is just waiting to scrutinize every inch of me without a chance to refresh a bit and get ready.
  #775  
Old 04-04-2014, 09:04 PM
kathl29's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 470
I am in Brisbane and have mainly got my info from this website (thanks SunLion). I don't watch breakfast tv which is where most coverage seems to be and have only seen the odd article online as I don't buy print newspapers. The local news bulletins don't seem to be doing much coverage. I would expect the weekly magazines will ramp up the coverage next week as the Australia part of the tour becomes closer.

For Brisbane it is actually probably unfortunate it is Easter weekend as many people traditionally go away camping etc and it is also the last weekend of the school holidays for parents to take the kids to the beach etc.

No-one in my workplace is discussing it (part of Qld Govt) but there are massive job losses in Brisbane at the moment and my colleagues seem more concerned about paying the bills than the visit of a couple of royals. Having said that they thought the last visit by the Queen to Brisbane would be quiet and turned out very large so people may not decide to go until the last minute.
__________________
Above all, be the heroine of your life ... (Nora Ephron)
  #776  
Old 04-04-2014, 09:31 PM
Iluvbertie's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Bathurst, Australia
Posts: 9,315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
It's an Air Force plane from Australia to NZ, the bathroom could be tiny. I wouldn't want to fly 20+ hours and then face the worlds press who is just waiting to scrutinize every inch of me without a chance to refresh a bit and get ready.
They have a three hour flight from Australia to New Zealand - if they have already changed into whatever they are going to wear when they arrive in NZ it will still be crushed etc by the time they arrive.

Their plane will only have them and their entourage on it and will be fitted out for VIPs so there will be a nice 'bathroom' area for them to use. Imagine something on a smaller scale to Air Force One not a military transport with no seats etc - outside will look like a military transport but inside won't.
  #777  
Old 04-04-2014, 10:08 PM
soapstar's Avatar
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Hermosa Beach (CA), United States
Posts: 2,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
The point I am making is that the coverage is very sparse and of the around 800 people at my workplace NONE of them knew that William and Kate are coming.
Wait, you polled 800 people at your workplace? Well if they didn't know before, they know now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
I would imagine they would go to the VIP lounge at the Australian airport while all of their luggage is transferred from one plane to another. At some point, they would need to change their clothes and put on the suits and dresses for the welcome ceremony at Wellington.
It's possible we could still get photos. They had a layover in Brisbane after their last tour, and we got photos of them on their way to the VIP lounge.
  #778  
Old 04-04-2014, 10:28 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Ipswich, United Kingdom
Posts: 766
Sun Lion thank you very much for your all the infomation you provide.
  #779  
Old 04-04-2014, 10:34 PM
Iluvbertie's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Bathurst, Australia
Posts: 9,315
Quote:
Originally Posted by soapstar View Post
Wait, you polled 800 people at your workplace? Well if they didn't know before, they know now.
The questions they were asked were:

Did you know that Prince William and his wife Kate Middleton and their son Prince George will be in Sydney during the upcoming school holidays?

If you have the chance to go and see them would you go (that was limited to just the high school kids as the primary teachers felt that if could cause issues with parents)?

Answer to the first one - 1 knew (me) and everyone else answered No

Answer to the second was unanimous - no.
  #780  
Old 04-04-2014, 10:41 PM
HRHHermione's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Boston, United States
Posts: 2,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
The questions they were asked were:

Did you know that Prince William and his wife Kate Middleton and their son Prince George will be in Sydney during the upcoming school holidays?

If you have the chance to go and see them would you go (that was limited to just the high school kids as the primary teachers felt that if could cause issues with parents)?

Answer to the first one - 1 knew (me) and everyone else answered No

Answer to the second was unanimous - no.
Wow, all 800 kids said no. You must work in the most apathetic place on earth.

Clearly they should not even bother to turn up.
__________________

Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
General News for The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, Part 2: January 2015 JessRulz The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family 286 Yesterday 10:29 PM




Popular Tags
belgium best outfit brussels chris o'neill crown prince frederik crown prince haakon crown princess mary crown princess mette-marit crown princess victoria current events death denmark duchess of cambridge fashion fashion poll funeral general news hereditary grand duchess stéphanie jordan king carl xvi gustav king felipe king felipe vi king harald king philippe king willem-alexander letizia maxima nobility official visit picture of the week president gauck president hollande prince carl philip prince daniel prince henrik prince of wales princess claire princess leonore princess madeleine princess marie princess mary princess mary fashion princess mary style princess mette-marit princess victoria queen fabiola queen letizia queen letizia daytime fashion queen letizia fashion queen letizia style queen mathilde queen maxima queen maxima fashion queen maxima style queen paola queen rania queen silvia queen sonja royal fashion sayn sofia hellqvist state visit stockholm sweden the hague van vollenhoven victoria wedding willem-alexander william


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002-2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:28 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2015
Jelsoft Enterprises

Royal News Delivered to your Email!

You can get the latest Royal News right in your inbox.

unsusbcribe at anytime with one click

Close [X]