The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-22-2014, 06:48 AM
Royal Highness

That was a nice article..I quite liked it. Of course we Americans like to see a streak of independent spirit <G>

LaRae

Old 03-22-2014, 07:41 AM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
A very nice article-

Prince William Does It His Way-
http://www.newsweek.com/prince-willi...his-way-232412
This guy sure has the knack of saying the right thing to put people at ease doesn't he?

TBH, I've never blushed in my life but I think I would have learned how to real fast if I had the experience that young girl at Centrepoint had. If William had told me not to worry about it and picture him naked, I think my first thought would be to.. ahem.. do just that.

Old 03-22-2014, 09:16 AM
Royal Highness

It is a good article. Although I think Prince Charles giving up skiing is more to do with Camilla being a non skier than the carbon footprint of flying. William is the first heir to be brought up integrated with regular society. The queen was educated at the palace. Charles was sent to boarding school but was still differed to as "sir". But William since he was 3 was just William. Thru his early schooldays to SA and in the military, he has been treated as one of the guys not a prince.
Old 03-22-2014, 09:47 AM
Majesty

Not sure Charles has given up skiing but just don't make the trip often as he used to. He don't vacation much either.

I do admire the way William is protective of Catherine and George. He has a beautiful family and that's his main priority.

William is a normal guy and I understand his hunger to be treated as such but he's also an HRH, senior British royal and a future King. I think that should be respected. There is no way I would greet him and Catherine without a bow of my head.

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 03-22-2014, 09:56 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
It is a good article. Although I think Prince Charles giving up skiing is more to do with Camilla being a non skier than the carbon footprint of flying. William is the first heir to be brought up integrated with regular society. The queen was educated at the palace. Charles was sent to boarding school but was still differed to as "sir". But William since he was 3 was just William. Thru his early schooldays to SA and in the military, he has been treated as one of the guys not a prince.
Well, I think the way William and Catherine are charting their early 30s appeals to Americans. We like our celebrities to not appear to work very hard (The Kardashian family has taken this to an extreme for us). I think that's because , we don't want to have to work very hard and we admire leisure - even if we are workaholics. It's a very vicarious enjoyment of lifestyle.
But I think, when it is your country, and the royals are your public servants (as well as state representatives) you righteously have a different POV.
The article was very American - that's my point. Sorry to be so wordy about it.

"They are pretty, they are shiny, and they are more fun to look at than the shame that lives inside us all". John Stewart, The Daily Show
Old 03-22-2014, 10:04 AM
Aristocracy

I can see what you mean by the article being American...but, the funny part of that is that its written by Robert Jobson...a British journalist.
Old 03-22-2014, 10:15 AM
Royal Highness

The only royal with a mandatory state public role is the monarch. It was only during the reign of George V that the royal family started doing the visits and charity work that they do today. William has already served his country with his military service. Once the queen dies, William and Kate will spend the rest of their lives doing royal duties.
Old 03-22-2014, 12:20 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
The only royal with a mandatory state public role is the monarch. It was only during the reign of George V that the royal family started doing the visits and charity work that they do today. William has already served his country with his military service. Once the queen dies, William and Kate will spend the rest of their lives doing royal duties.
We know that William & Catherine will be spending the rest of their lives carrying out official duties but they really should be doing more at the moment. Now that they have a full-time nanny. perhaps we will see the doing more official duties once they get back from their official tour. It's just time for them to step up their game.

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 03-22-2014, 02:13 PM
Aristocracy

I think that after William finishes his course (he has been in Cambridge this week) and the NZ/Aus tour is completed (that's stepping up IMO), then we will see more of them.

But I think we are in for a surprise. He is not ready to just do royal duties - there will be something else.
Old 03-22-2014, 05:22 PM
Aristocracy

[B] From Post 680

I think that after William finishes his course (he has been in Cambridge this week) and the NZ/Aus tour is completed (that's stepping up IMO), then we will see more of them.

But I think we are in for a surprise. He is not ready to just do royal duties - there will be something else.

British Royals ‏@britishroyals 4 mins
Prince William to work at the Foreign Office for his next full-time job?... Prince William to work at the Foreign Office to learn about diplomacy for when he is King - Mirror Online

I said earlier we might be in for a surprise - wasn't expecting to hear anything so soon.
Old 03-22-2014, 06:47 PM
Royal Highness

General News and Information for the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

The Foreign office is really the Foreign and Commonwealth Office. The Commonwealth portion would be an excellent training ground for a future king.

Hopefully the press wouldn't dig too deep about the Nanny. Basic background info is okay. We have basic background info about Miguel and Rebecca. I could have done without the tidbit in the express last year about Rebecca and press guy Nick supposedly dating. We don't need teenage yearbook photos and such of the nanny or her Facebook photos.
Old 03-22-2014, 06:50 PM
Gentry

Over on tumblr some folks are already complaining about him working at the FO, saying it's not good enough and he is avoiding his Royal Duties.

Funny it was good enough for Prince George, Duke of Kent back in the 1930's when he became the first Royal to be a civil servant and worked at both the Foreign Office and the Home Office.
Old 03-22-2014, 07:01 PM
Royal Highness

Surely to God, working at the Foreign Office is more productive than becoming a professional ribbion cutter at the moment.

Isn't this something the Euro royals do and everyone praises them to high heaven.
Old 03-22-2014, 07:11 PM
Aristocracy

Without William, the royals are doing c 20 engagements a day. They can survive a tad longer without him doing daily duties

He hasn't had the "royal" education so far that he needs and working in the "Commonwealth" arm of the FO would teach him a lot and mean a great deal to HMQ. The concept of the Monarch becoming the hereditary Head of the Commonwealth would gain strength and maintain a political neutrality which I think is both necessary and helpful.

Sadly the majority of the UK population have little or no idea about the 16 realms or the Commonwealth. That new PR section need to start educating the masses.

And I dont give a flying fig for opinions on tumblr - this would be a great move
Old 03-22-2014, 07:16 PM
Gentry

I totally agree that he would learn a great deal about how things actually work while at the FO and it would set him in good stead from when his time on the throne comes.

As for tumblr, I try to avoid tags to do with the modern royals because the vast majority of folks are far too busy complaining and sniping about all and sundry but a friend brought it to my attention since I post my art over on there and they know I'm a royalist.
Old 03-22-2014, 07:21 PM
Heir Presumptive

The Duke of Kent was not in the direct line of succession.

I think that working with the FO will be good for William. I also think that him being more visible in his work is getting to be a bit necessary. Similarly, Kate needs to be more visible in her work. William working with the FO can be both a blessing and a curse - it gives him more training and can help him establish a better relationship with the Commonwealth, but it also has the potential to shield him from the public eye at a time when he's being criticized for not doing enough. Further, if William's numbers stay low then it's likely Kate's will as well (and she shouldn't be expected to do more than her husband), which will just contribute to the image of the pair of them being lazy - I'm not saying that either of them is lazy or doing nothing now, just that their lacking of official engagements (especially coupled with the fact that when the public sees them, it's often for either a vacation or shopping) creates and contributes to an image or illusion of them being so. Regardless of their actual attitudes towards work, this image in itself can be damaging because of its very existence.
Old 03-22-2014, 07:29 PM
Aristocracy

I dont see a problem with Catherine's public engagements being higher than William's if he is working at the FO (or similar). And the public wouldn't mind either - it probably would be seen as supportive.

IMO she always does well on her own - she shone when she did those trips when he was in The Falklands. I would recommend that she did get out on her own because she is getting more flak that he is - which I think is undeserved.
Old 03-22-2014, 08:01 PM
Royal Highness

The only people I see criticising William and Kate for not working, are the same people who criticise them when they do public engagements.

Can anyone imagine the "outrage" if William was seen planting trees and shaking hands everyday?

"Is this all these royals do... blah blah blah". The people who hammer the royals don't need a reason. Just read the comments on an appearance by the Prince of Wales.

Visibility doesn't count for anything. The only person immune is the Queen and DoE
Old 03-22-2014, 08:21 PM
Courtier

Working at the Foreign Office shows me that William is taking his future seriously. I am very pleased that he is learning as much as possible so he can be prepared when the day comes.
Old 03-22-2014, 09:57 PM
Majesty

We shall see what William & Catherine will do after the official tour. Whatever job William takes one, there will have to be a balance to their official duties. They will have to be seen doing more.

I'm waiting to hear word of Catherine taking on some honorary colonelship roles within the military. There should be some more charitable patronages and presidencies being announced. There should also be some participation in State Visits as well.

Dr. Maya Angelou
Closed Thread