The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-07-2014, 02:26 PM
Majesty

I wonder what would happen if the posters who are attacked as "ignorant and envious" because they are not impressed with the Cambridges posted their own personal opinions of the characters and personalities of the posters who endlessly fawn over them?

Just a thought.

Old 03-07-2014, 02:33 PM
Heir Apparent

Well, that would be against Forum rules. We discuss, we agree or disagree, but we don't launch attacks on one another. Ahem - your point is well taken.
We should instead ask, "Does envy drive your opinion?" and "What is an example of where you find the Cambridges to be useless lumps of pudding."

Honestly, we need to value non-agreement more than we do, because people are rarely persuaded by comments, IMHO.

Old 03-07-2014, 02:37 PM
Majesty

BINGO. I agree.
Old 03-07-2014, 03:00 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
I wonder what would happen if the posters who are attacked as "ignorant and envious" because they are not impressed with the Cambridges posted their own personal opinions of the characters and personalities of the posters who endlessly fawn over them?

Just a thought.
It's been done. Posters have called out others for fawning over the Cambridges.
Old 03-07-2014, 03:01 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by angela View Post
I am not envious I am angry. If they gave it all up tomorrow I wouldn't care how many holidays they went but when the taxpayer is giving you money they expect more return than watching you do very little and swan off on holiday (3 times between them in less than 3 months). And before anyone says they paid for it themselves their security and George's seperate security whilst they are gone is being paid for with my taxes.
Angela: Do you let your concerns surface anywhere else? Like with your MP or a well composed letter to William? I only ask, because it always makes me me feel a great deal better when I complain to someone that can effect change.
For whatever reason, our federally elected local officials have taken to counting tweets as a barometer of public support on issues. So I opened a twitter account. I use it to look at Mike Tindall's posts and to kvetch at my representatives. I know my tweets are not read as such, but I send them, but I also know that they believe 100 tweets means one percentage point in the polls (or whatever).
It's a game. But you gotta play the game if you want things to change.
Old 03-07-2014, 03:09 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:

Just a thought.
Great observation, Moonmaiden. Saying that people are ignorant and envious because they don't agree with others isn't an argument but disparagement.
Old 03-07-2014, 03:20 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by soapstar View Post
It's been done. Posters have called out others for fawning over the Cambridges.

Have they been called names? Has their intelligence been questioned, their integrity? I don't post much in the Cambridge threads but I browse frequently. I haven't seen it.
Old 03-07-2014, 03:24 PM
Super Moderator

Yep. I've seen it happen. I've also seen it happen on threads for other royals. This type of interaction between posters is not just confined to the Cambridge thread.
Old 03-07-2014, 03:33 PM
Majesty

The only other place I have seen posters called names is in the Swedish threads, where people who are not enchanted with Prince Carl-Philip's current girlfriend are called...surprise!...envious, judgmental, and occasionally misogynists.
Old 03-07-2014, 03:51 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
The only other place I have seen posters called names is in the Swedish threads, where people who are not enchanted with Prince Carl-Philip's current girlfriend are called...surprise!...envious, judgmental, and occasionally misogynists.
Don't want to get off topic, but I've seen it in more than just CP's thread. Princess Charlene's thread gets a lot of back and forth between posters. I've also seen it in threads for Mary, Letizia, Sarah, Camilla/Charles, Beatrice...basically any popular royal. Even Stephanie's fashion thread has had a few arguments between posters.

And to be honest, I've noticed that some posters have no problem throwing criticisms at one royal, but then turn around and get upset and defensive when their favorite royal is criticized. I know at times I've been guilty of this, which is why I try and stay out of forums for royals I don't particularly care for.
Old 03-07-2014, 03:52 PM
Imperial Majesty

I think The Duchess of Cambridge has done a pretty fine job in her role as William's wife, future Princess of Wales/Queen. Obviously, the year just started and Catherine has kicked off her 2014 official engagements but there's so much more to come. Not only she's about to embark on her official tour to Australia and New Zealand with William and George but she will have many more official engagements lined up throughout the coming weeks and months within the year.

Yes, both William & Catherine could be doing more and I hope we will see them become fulltime members of the royal family by the end of this year and into the next.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 03-07-2014, 03:56 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Yep. I've seen it happen. I've also seen it happen on threads for other royals. This type of interaction between posters is not just confined to the Cambridge thread.

I agree. Ten years ago this type of interaction would have happened in posts about Mary, Maxima, Letizia etc...The royals and the posters just change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmirerUS View Post
Angela: Do you let your concerns surface anywhere else? Like with your MP or a well composed letter to William? I only ask, because it always makes me me feel a great deal better when I complain to someone that can effect change.
For whatever reason, our federally elected local officials have taken to counting tweets as a barometer of public support on issues. So I opened a twitter account. I use it to look at Mike Tindall's posts and to kvetch at my representatives. I know my tweets are not read as such, but I send them, but I also know that they believe 100 tweets means one percentage point in the polls (or whatever).
It's a game. But you gotta play the game if you want things to change.
Excellent suggestion Admirer US
Old 03-07-2014, 03:59 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Don't want to get off topic, but I've seen it in more than just CP's thread. Princess Charlene's thread gets a lot of back and forth between posters. I've also seen it in threads for Mary, Letizia, Sarah, Camilla/Charles, Beatrice...basically any popular royal. Even Stephanie's fashion thread has had a few arguments between posters.

Well, I agree with you that we should not get off topic and yes...the Charlene/Letizia comments and opinions in particular are rather harsh. But mostly the nastiness seems heaped on the Royals themselves, not the posters.

But I will start browsing the other threads and paying more attention. You could be right.
Old 03-07-2014, 07:53 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:

Just a thought.

That's not the purpose of the forum. And who called anyone ignorant?
Old 03-07-2014, 10:55 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by casualfan View Post
That's not the purpose of the forum. And who called anyone ignorant?
Thanks, but I know it's not the purpose of the forum and I'm not the one who needs to be told that. Perhaps you could review the comments that came before mine if you want to understand why I posted what I did.
Old 03-09-2014, 12:20 AM
Courtier

Hoping For No Incidents When W and C Here...

...Today's newspaper has a double-page feature with newly released information about the attempt on the Duke of Edinburgh's life when he was here in Australia in1973.

Subject to a "D Notice" at the time, only now are details being made public.

I also remember the lunge made at Prince Charles when he was at Darling Harbour in 1994 - and although the gun only had blanks, no one on stage knew that at the time.

Good that there were so many other men on stage with Prince Charles - so many official guests threw themselves on the offender and tackled him to the ground in front of the TV cameras.

I was once in the street when The Queen and Prince Philip appeared on the balcony of Sydney's Town Hall and a young man started to shout insults.

Boy did the police react to that - they were suddenly amongst us and dragging him away.

Despite the expenses involved, I can understand the need for very high security when no-one knows who will be turning up at these public events.

Sun Lion.
Old 03-09-2014, 04:49 AM
Imperial Majesty

If someone really wants to kill them all that security won't stop them. A sniper from some distance away could quite easily take them out as could a suicide bomber. I am teaching terrorism to Year 9 at the moment and they actually were talking about how they would carry out a terrorist attack (no I am not encouraging them to do so but to look at why people have done so and one thing led to another as happens in classrooms ...) and they came up with some ingenious ways to take out the Australian PM.

The security around them is actually quite small and relies largely on the fact that most of the people who are there are there to see the royal.
Old 03-09-2014, 05:16 AM
Courtier

Hi Iluvbertie,

The things children are taught in school these days.
I used to have cooking, sewing, knitting - and on Fridays - even laundry!lessons.
As those things are no longer considered necessary - though cooking might still be good - I hope one day terrorism is a topic society can move on from.

Cheers, Sun Lion.
Old 03-10-2014, 12:35 PM
Administrator in Memoriam

Seven pages of posts specifically discussing the Maldives holiday have been moved to the Cambridge Family current events thread;
Posts regarding the hiring of a nanny for Prince George have been moved to the Cambridge Staff thread;
Posts with information about the upcoming tour have been moved to the Australia-NZ Tour thread.
Old 03-10-2014, 05:51 PM
Courtier

Oz Republican Movement Using W & C Visit To Start New Campaign.

Hi All,

Australian TV channel ABC interviewed the head of the Republican movement here in Oz this morning, as they've announced thay are gearing up for a new campaign to coincide with the Royal Tour here by the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge.

(Sorry, no details - I didn't get to see it, too busy, busy, busy.)

Cheers, Sun Lion.

P.S. May be put on line of course at some stage - plus just the beginning - I can see the articles in next weekend's newspapers already .

Closed Thread