General News for the Duchess of Cambridge 1: November 2010-February 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lenora

Heir Presumptive
City
Riga
Country
Latvia
Sometimes they seem dark blue ,the other times hazel (photoeffect perhaps).
I think her eyes are blue flecked with hazel.

Last edited by a moderator:
They looked hazel-grey to me. I bet they "change colors" depending on what she is wearing and her eye makeup.

I thought they looked green or maybe hazel on one of the covers.

Her eyes look green to me, love green eyes!

Green according to the close up pictures in Hello!

how about her height? and weight?

Height = 5"10 from what I have read.

Kate definitely has green eyes. Height I'm not sure about, and as for her weight, that's just plain nosey and rude ;)

^yes it is, and i'm sorry i asked.

Why is asking about weight nosey and rude?

Because most women are apparently sensitive about their weight. For me personally, I am not and it is one of the things I care about the least.

Agree with the sensitivity thing, Skippy. Personally I don't think asking about weight isn't any worse than asking about height and for quite a many people height can be a sensitive thing as well.

Tall and tiny? nothing to be ashamed of.
Short and stout? nothing to be ashamed of.

I don't need to know how much she weighs, or how tall she is. One can tell that she is tall and slight from photos taken with PW.

A question to the English native speakers:

Does Catherine have a accent or dialect?

I just noticed that William and she have a different intonation with some words in the interview (16. November).

Last edited:
Tall and tiny? nothing to be ashamed of.
Short and stout? nothing to be ashamed of.

I don't need to know how much she weighs, or how tall she is. One can tell that she is tall and slight from photos taken with PW.

User bigroyalwedding said that she found it nosy and rude to ask about weight - I don't see anything in that to be ashamed of either.

We know that William is tall and Catherine is not much shorter than him, so that pretty much covers the answer.

Well, it is nosy. You don't see reporters asking Prince William, Prince Harry or even the Queen how tall they are or how much they weigh or making this an issue. You can generally tell by looking at someone their approximate height and weight.

Let's move on.

Generally the weigh of the royals is not "known" information. People can make guesses but as they are not athletes who are required to give a weight...we will never know and the conversation will go ON and On.

I read on another thread she us 5'10 to Williams 6' 3 -

Charlotte Amalia,
Kate has both an accent and a dialect. She comes from the south of England, but accents can be acquired.

Does anyone have a picture of Kate Middleton on her christening day? Thanks.

There was a picture in last week's People magazine of baby Kate (in what looks to be a christening gown) being held by her grandmother.

Isn't a dialect more about using words and expressions that are native to a particular area? With my Canadian ear, Kate sounds like someone who has been to good schools and exposed to upper class people, although not sounding particularly posh. I find her very easy to understand.

Charlotte Amalia,
Kate has both an accent and a dialect. She comes from the south of England, but accents can be acquired.

Hardly surprising, they want to know everything now.

Isn't a dialect more about using words and expressions that are native to a particular area? With my Canadian ear, Kate sounds like someone who has been to good schools and exposed to upper class people, although not sounding particularly posh. I find her very easy to understand.

Thanks for answering this one, as a non-English native working among Australians, I'm exposed to a different accent on a daily basis and when I watched the engagement interview on youtube Kate's accent sounded quite odd to me. I was just wondering whether she was being posh and trying to emulate William's language. I noticed the way she pronunciated "hopefully" or "hope" and it really sounded different to me. It was sort of "hoopefully"

Thanks for answering this one, as a non-English native working among Australians, I'm exposed to a different accent on a daily basis and when I watched the engagement interview on youtube Kate's accent sounded quite odd to me. I was just wondering whether she was being posh and trying to emulate William's language. I noticed the way she pronunciated "hopefully" or "hope" and it really sounded different to me. It was sort of "hoopefully"
:) i felt the same. I know a lot of British or American native speakers and i could easily understand the interview of W. and C.. But somehow William's English is more "normal" to my ears. I'm more used to it. It might be that it is very similar to the English spoken in the News.

On the other hand, Catherine sounded a bit weird to me. To me she has a posh and also very hard or cold pronunciation. Especially when she said: "not at all" (1:02, 1:08), "hope" (2:07), "awkward" (3:33 minutes in the engagement interview)

:) i felt the same. I know a lot of British or American native speakers and i could easily understand the interview of W. and C.. But somehow William's English is more "normal" to my ears. I'm more used to it. It might be that it is very similar to the English spoken in the News.

On the other hand, Catherine sounded a bit weird to me. To me she has a posh and also very hard or cold pronunciation. Especially when she said: "not at all" (1:02, 1:08), "hope" (2:07), "awkward" (3:33 minutes in the engagement interview)

Her accent sounded familiar to me, that I have heard others speak the way she does, but not being English myself, I can't pinpoint whether she has a regional accent or something of an upper class accent that she picked up at school.

It's been my experience that different regions of England have different dialects/accents, similar to different parts of the United States. Isn't Catherine from Berkshire? They may have a specific way of speaking that is not like William's particular pronunciation.

Besides, they went to college in Scotland so if she were to have picked up an accent from school, it would sound more Scots than English.

It's been my experience that different regions of England have different dialects/accents, similar to different parts of the United States. Isn't Catherine from Berkshire? They may have a specific way of speaking that is not like William's particular pronunciation.

Besides, they went to college in Scotland so if she were to have picked up an accent from school, it would sound more Scots than English.

Yes, I can usually tell the difference between the north of England and the London area, but I'm sure there are many regional accents just like we have in the U.S. But I can't recognize them the way I can with American accents, since I have not spent much time in the U.K.

The upper classes in Scotland don't usually seem to speak with a Scots accent, at least none that I have heard speak.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom