General News for the Duchess of Cambridge 1: November 2010-February 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Spelling Grump feels compelled to speak: the words we are looking for are "role model." Only the Pillsbury Doughboy is a roll model.

As for Kate- she is close to her family, and she chose to work in their very successful business until she married. How can that be even remotely controversial?

Lol, thanks for pointing the this out. I don't know why I was saying "roll model" instead of "role model."

Now that Kate is about to give birth, I don't think anyone (even me) would criticize her for being home to take care of her family. I am not highly concerned with the choices of other women after they have kids or even marry well enough not to have to work. It's the ten year span of not leaving her comfort zone (family business) in case she might fail or, conversely, really like being her own woman, that makes me uneasy.

Currently, she is where she wants to be and that is just fine. Everyone alludes that Kate is a high achiever...I hope she doesn't get bored continually waiting for William.

This is a hereditary monarchy so waiting is a part of the game. Follow the long lived Queen Elizabeth II and you better have a well developed patience. ;)Charles and Camilla are waiting as are the Cambridges. Though something tells me that Kate is waiting for the day she can tie her shoes again without assistance.

The Spelling Grump feels compelled to speak: the words we are looking for are "role model." Only the Pillsbury Doughboy is a roll model.

As for Kate- she is close to her family, and she chose to work in their very successful business until she married. How can that be even remotely controversial?
One has to wonder. :whistling::lol:

Oops, I knew there was something off when I typed "roll model," just couldn't put my finger on it.....

As for Roll Models, she is learning to become a gourmet cook....:cool:

A roll model? She's a nice enough young woman, but I would not call her a roll model.

Maybe not for you GG, but we all choose our own role models. There are children and grown-ups that look to her as an example on all kinds of things.

Then there is the whole "Kate effect" when she wears something... and it sells out. ;)

Oops, I knew there was something off when I typed "roll model," just couldn't put my finger on it.....

As for Roll Models, she is learning to become a gourmet cook....:cool:
Cloverleaf, Parker House, fans, sourdough, cinnamon, raisin, sweet, the list is endless for our favorite "roll" model. ;)

add to the list Chelsea bun :lol:

God I hate people who criticize people for living their life how they like to. Catherine has never done anything to harm anyone and yet the knives are out to find any fault with. I find these people truly pathetic and really need to look at their own lives before criticizing other people. :whistling:

Hear, hear :clap:! Catherine has done what is right for her, and personally, if I were in her shoes, I'd do the same. It would be lovely to NOT worry about having a job, but having one because one WANTS to. She worked with Jigsaw, and then with her family's company, and considered that sufficient. I'm sure her parents left her funds that she could use to enjoy her young years, and be as stress-free as possible. I'd give a lot to be in that position. Now, she gets to use her talents and education to help others, and again, not worry about having to stretch a paycheck. And if 'waiting for a man' means that I'll be secure, I'm all for it. It's important to be independent, but it's also great to be taken care of. Catherine had a chance to experience the former by working in her family's company, and the latter by falling in love and marrying a man who is pretty well off. I say 'well done!'

I wonder if this is the sort of thing all the young women who didn't snag their princes or dukes in the 19th and 20th centuries gossiped about.... Well Princess Alexandra is hardly a role model! She's Danish for goodness' sake! All she did was arrange flowers and entertain herself with that sister of hers...Maud, was it? Whereas, all the ladies at court fill their days with language, music, art, and conversation!

Please! This argument comes up again, and again, and again. It's boring, pointless, and has been discussed ad nauseum. Kate worked for her family--whether the amount of work lives up to your standards for someone who is portrayed in the media as having come from the "real world" is irrelevant! She is absolutely a role model in the present day in terms of her poise, personal fitness, dedication to charitable causes, class, and status. If any young woman, who would otherwise stray towards violence and vulgarity, sees The Duchess of Cambridge and then strives to elevate her own demeanor and behavior, I'd say we've got a successful role model on our hands!

When Catherine first appeared on the scene evaluations of her were made. She was at University . . . did she go to St Andrews to capture her prince or to get an education? Bottom line, we don't know and we never will. She did however, gain a superior education!

When she graduated we saw more of her because the press were allowed to follow William more after he had graduated and so really, we only saw her when she was with him. That translated to Polo, and clubbing, which is what young people do but they don't do them 24/7. Whatever she worked at or did when she was not with William is open to interpretation.
Bottom line . . . she worked at some point for the Jigsaw and the family firm. Was she fully involved or just passing the time? We don't know and we never will.

The point is, it is really none of our business what Catherine did or didn't do until such time as she married the heir to the heir to the Throne! Now we are all allowed to comment on how she carries out her role as Duchess of Cambridge, what sort of wife she appears to be, is she gracious, articulate, empathic? Does she support her husband in his role, is she an asset to the BRF.

If she decides to be like Sophie Wessex, essentially a full time, stay-at-home mum until the kids went to school and then step up her public engagements while still putting her children first, then I say good on her. There are millions of women who would love to be in her shoes and be able to afford to do this. And, that superior education of hers will not be wasted on her children's upbringing. Even HM was allowed this privilege until the untimely death of her father . . . and she was his heir. William would have to lose both his Granny and his Pa before he would be in that position.

Personally I hope she does follow Sophie and get the chance to enjoy her husband and family before she is pulled into the more intense part of the requirements of the BRF. We will get better future Kings and Queens and so there really are no losers.

But I reserve the right to comment on her fashion, or lack thereof, at official engagements whilst fully supporting her should she decide to wear jeans and sweats when "not on duty".

The lack of respect for the Duke of Kent is disgraceful.

I've just tweeted almost the exact same thing to Richard Palmer when I saw this article online. Absolutely pathetic.

The lack of respect for the Duke of Kent is disgraceful.

Do you think maybe the palace is trying to lighten his load given his health issues this year? There continues to be a push to take patronages and responsibilities off the elder royals' plates.

The comment a plodding duke of kent by the journalist is disrespectful and is about the culture of youth; andif itis true that Wimbeldon has been chasing down Catherine basically to increase revenues, then Im disgusted by the lack of loyalty to the Kents who have served Wimbledon well.

The problem was the adjective (plodding). It could have been worded so as not to be offensive.

Do you think maybe the palace is trying to lighten his load given his health issues this year? There continues to be a push to take patronages and responsibilities off the elder royals' plates.

I don't think so, given that this push for the Duchess of Cambridge to take over for the Duke of Kent started last year before his health issues, I believe, if not earlier.

And this is definitely ageism at its worst; no one should be described as plodding or be called to make way for a younger person because of the number of your years, be it a royal or the regular person on the street. I don't like this "out with the old, in with the new" mentality; it's become too prevalent in society and it is disrespectful of the experience and loyalty a person has invested in a patronage or job. If anyone described me as that at work because I'm of the older generation, I'd be handing them their head on a platter. Or stuffed in a trophy.....;)

Last edited:
I've just tweeted almost the exact same thing to Richard Palmer when I saw this article online. Absolutely pathetic.

Thank you Lumutqueen. As you know I dont twit.

i hope he sorts out the fool that wrote (or it it writ) that piece ;)

Well R ( other half) is laughing :lol:

I agree the article was poorly written and disrespectful to the Duke, but there has been talk for some time about passing the torch at Wimbledon ( initiated on whose side, I don't know). however, I fear awkward transitions are going to continue to happen. I hope when an official announcement comes in any of these transitions, they are messaged well. On one hand,the younger royals aren't pulling their fair share and leaving the heavy lifting to the veterans. On the other hand, taking away the patronages from the veterans is viewed as ageism..putting them out to pasture. A delicate respectful balance is indeed necessary.

I almost never name call. Richard Palmer is a twit! Tweet away all...

I almost never name call. Richard Palmer is a twit! Tweet away all...

richard Palmer didnt write the article. Written by some rude bloke called Helliker. Now he is an ignorant twit.

I think handing down the job to the Duchess of Cambridge would be great. It would be a way of helping the Duke of Kent out and the Duchess of Kent no longer attend these games.

Everyone will just have to get used to the fact that the younger royals will take over official duties at some point. The veteran royals of today did the samething for the veteran royals of back in the day.

I hope it's Catherine who will take over this job at Wimbledon.

I think handing down the job to the Duchess of Cambridge would be great. It would be a way of helping the Duke of Kent out and the Duchess of Kent no longer attend these games.

Everyone will just have to get used to the fact that the younger royals will take over official duties at some point. The veteran royals of today did the samething for the veteran royals of back in the day.

I hope it's Catherine who will take over this job at Wimbledon.

None of us are saying that it would be a bad thing, we are saying that the article from the Express was disrespectful to the Duke.

Somehow I don't think Wimbledon is one of the dukes most taxing appointments, although one he most likely quite enjoys. I cannot see how removing him would be "helping him out" or even welcomed by him.
The topic just reaks of ageism and the "lets have something new and shiney to amuse us" mentality.

I think this duties are for minor royal. Queen or future queen can't spend two weeks watching tennis. It would be good position for Eugenie or Harry, but not for Kate (or Camilla).

Queen Mary used to. The Kents took over from her.

I agree the wording in the article could've been different.

I'm not sure about the "ageism" angle. I think what the Duke of Kent do for Wimbledon is important but I think if he decides to step down from the job, I think it would be good to get Catherine to take over.

Wow,she is VERY pregnant!
Looks imminent!
She looks she's dropping,from Jul 1st anytime,and she's wearing flats!!!! Comfort rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom