General News for the Duchess of Cambridge 1: November 2010-February 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it would be really interesting to interview Kate Middleton because I think she has comported herself so well since she has been thrust in the limelight. I think she needs to eat more because she’s so thin.
this is what katie couric had 2 say about kate
but personally i think she has a very thin and athletic build

Well I find it hard to believe that Catherine never showed any interest in William since the movies that came out about their romance made it seem just the opposite. Maybe I didnt catch on.

Well I find it hard to believe that Catherine never showed any interest in William since the movies that came out about their romance made it seem just the opposite. Maybe I didnt catch on.

As someone who's pretty close to Kate and William's age, I can vouch for the fact that William was a bit of a pin-up when he was in his teens. Certainly at my all girls school, he was one of the most mooned-over men in the world at that time.

I'm sure Kate will have found him attractive, and probably dreamt of one day meeting him and marrying him, but so did every girl in the country. There's a big difference between thinking the prince you've seen on TV and in newspapers is dreamy, and actually setting out to try and nab him, which is how some people have characterised Kate in her teenage years.

The way I understand it is that for the first year they were at St. Andrew's, they were part of a group of friends. IIRC, when Kate first met William, she was dating someone else and during that first year William dated other girls.

This is why I think they have such a solid foundations. Falling in love was a gradual thing that evolved from being close friends first.

Didn't she say something along the line that it was William's wishful thinking when she was questioned if she really had posters of William to swoon over as a teenager in her bedroom?

Keep in mind that movies are based on what the writers and directors want you to see. Especially when the main characters are not giving any assistance to the writers and directors.

I think Catherine is quite the opposite of me. Where I would be trying to impress PW to be noticed, she didn't. She followed her heart which eventually led her to PW.

Well, many royal reporters and the press have been trying to paint William & Catherine's early relationship as a royal fairytale that your kids would read in books. The whole poster on Catherine's wall, her staring at the poster and hoping to meet him and someday marry him is just pure fantasy. Catherine made sure she let everyone know that wasn't the case during the engagement interview. Both William & Catherine let us know that their relationship was a gradual process. They started out as friends and things took off from there.

Kataryn said:
Didn't she say something along the line that it was William's wishful thinking when she was questioned if she really had posters of William to swoon over as a teenager in her bedroom?

If she did say something like that, then I like her even more! Her self-confidence and sense of self-worth allowed her to see things in a realistic perspective. She saw her husband as a regular guy, and that was that. Well done yet again!

50% of me thinks the poster story is true and 50% thinks it's not because Kate herself said it wasn't. I don't see what the big deal is if she did have a poster of him, all girls have crushes and the media was selling William as a teen idol for a few years. It would be hard for any girl living in the country to not fall for the hype, heck I like in Texas and I even got pulled in. A teenage crush doesn't equate to stalking a pursuing him as a young adult.

A teenage crush doesn't equate to stalking a pursuing him as a young adult.

I think the first thing William would have thought if confronted with a teenage crush was "Run". He and his brother are probably the princes who have thought the most serious thoughts about "Whatever love means" and decided that what they need as a wife is anything but a starstruck young teenager like their mother had been one. I believe William and Catherine have been right in waiting till they went from Young Adults to adults in their realtionship - now they know what they are into.

That's another reason I don't believe the stalker theory, both William and Harry appear to know they were built up as every girls fantasy and if either of them got that sense from a girl they were dating they would end it. I believe that by the time Kate went to high school her crush was gone as she saw William as just another guy, especially considering she dated someone for awhile even after she met William.

I don't believe there's anything wrong with the idea of Catherine having a poster of William on her wall but Catherine herself put that rumor to rest herself in the engagement interview.

So I guess it comes down to, are you going to believe her or an old school friend and tabloids?

Proper way to refer to Her Royal Highnesses...

:bang:Something has been driving me a little crazy ever since the wedding. Atleast least half if not all publications, tv stations... refer to HRH Catherine, The Duchess of Cambridge as Kate Middleton on a regular basis.

Personally, I can live with them calling her Kate... but am I the only one who wants to bang my head against the wall when they refer to her maiden name? She used to be Kate or Catherine Middleton... she is now a Royal Duchess and it irkes me that they do this. She is the future Queen!

The same happens for Camilla, but not nearly as much. Who else is bugged by this? :ermm:

I think this will continue until she is Queen Catherine. Camilla and Sophie both get called by their maiden names still, even after all their years of marriage. It is likely because everyone knew Camilla as Camilla Parker-Bowles for such a long time, that is is habit. The same could be said for Catherine.

I think we will have Kate Middleton, Camilla Parker-Bowles and Sophie Rhys-Jones for a long time. The only wives who do not get their maiden names are the Duchess of Gloucester and Princess Michael, but that is probably because the press a) Do not know their maiden names or b) cannot spell or pronouce them.

It annoys me a lot too, as they technically no longer have a legal surname, but we will have to get used to it. Look at Sarah, she is always referred to as Sarah Ferguson of "Fergie", even after all this time. The only person of course was never referred to by their maiden name was Diana.

Funny I was just thinking yesterday how the news kept calling her Kate Middleton and how irritating it was. I was wishing when they married that instead of giving him a title the Queen had made Kate a Princess. My mind was that once he is King the title goes back to the crown and she will forever be a Queen. They will on one sad day be Duke and Duchess of Cornwall and eventually be Prince and Princess of Wales so why not being her to the style HRH Princess of United Kingdom.

If she was created HRH and Princess of the UK by letters patent things might be a bit more difficult in taking those dignities away in the event of a divorce.

:bang:Something has been driving me a little crazy ever since the wedding. Atleast least half if not all publications, tv stations... refer to HRH Catherine, The Duchess of Cambridge as Kate Middleton on a regular basis.

Personally, I can live with them calling her Kate... but am I the only one who wants to bang my head against the wall when they refer to her maiden name? She used to be Kate or Catherine Middleton... she is now a Royal Duchess and it irkes me that they do this. She is the future Queen!

The same happens for Camilla, but not nearly as much. Who else is bugged by this? :ermm:

Another example was the late Grace Kelly,even after her marriage and up until her tragic death she was often still referred to as Grace Kelly or 'Princess Grace Kelly',but I'm sure she didn't lose any sleep over it.

before her marriage with William, i would write Kate when talking about her, but since their marriage i put a challenge upon myself to call/write Catherine instead of Kate.
ive gotten a bit used to it and when she becomes Queen, ill have no problem referring to her maiden name instead of her old nickname, because she will be Queen Catherine and nothing else.
and i doubt the media will call her Queen Kate by the way.

Part of the problem is that in the UK the wives of peers don't have a first name as part of their title. She isn't HRH Catherine, The Duchess of Cambridge but simply HRH The Duchess of Cambridge. As a result the press and public have to use a title not a name and many find that strange.

As soon as you put Catherine in the name she is divorced.

Which is why it would have been sensible to adopt the continental custom and make her Princess Catherine.I suspect that had there not been the 'issue' with Camilla being Duchess rather than princess then it might have been.

Which is why it would have been sensible to adopt the continental custom and make her Princess Catherine.I suspect that had there not been the 'issue' with Camilla being Duchess rather than princess then it might have been.

From my understanding there never was an "issue" with Camilla's style of Duchess of Cornwall over Princess of Wales. She actually does hold both titles from her husband but chose rather to be styled as Duchess of Cornwall (which is actually Charles' older title) than Princess of Wales out of respect for the late Diana.

It has always been British tradition that wives take their titles and styles from their husbands. If William had not been created the Duke of Cambridge on his wedding day, Kate would be Princess William of Wales.

I saw Princess Kate used in the news that scrolls on the bottom of the newscast here in the US.

Using Kate Middleton is annoying and Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge isn't correct since it is style of a divorced person.

She is a Princess of the UK since she married a Prince of UK, but she's Princess William which isn't very flattering. British princes historically get a royal dukedom upon marriage which becomes the title they use.

When William becomes King, he would be addressed as His Majesty The King and Catherine would be Her Majesty The Queen. If William dies before her, then she is HM Queen Catherine with their first child as the new monarch.

Referring to Catherine as the Duchess of Cambridge also makes things a lot easier re: the in Laws. Imagine if Catherine had wanted to be referred to as princess. Regardless of whether the Duchess of Cornwall cared or not, the press would be constantly writing about "only a Duchess" this and "her daughter in law who is a Princess," etc. I think this was generous and canny on the part of all involved - to find "Duke and Duchess of Cambridge" just right, for now.

I just think the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge have a lot of common sense, courtesy and sensitivity toward others. It is refreshing! :flowers:

The only person of course was never referred to by their maiden name was Diana.

Yes, but she was often also still referred to as "Lady Di" even when she'd been married for years.

I just think the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge have a lot of common sense, courtesy and sensitivity toward others. It is refreshing! :flowers:

Personally, I liked the story that came out recently where Kate was shopping for a wet suit, forgot her credit card or such and the store clerk didn't recognize her. When asked what her name was, she replied "Mrs. Cambridge". :D

Surely this is why the word "née" exists? "The Duchess of Cambridge, née Catherine Middleton, wore a dress today and it sold out in two hours." Proper titles are observed, but her name is clarified for non-royal followers who don't realize that she is not in fact Princess Kate.

Isn't it just HRH --name--,duchess of ------ or HRH princess -----, duchess of ----- where it applies?

Isn't it just HRH --name--,duchess of ------ or HRH princess -----, duchess of ----- where it applies?

Although Kate is Princess William, the correct form of address would be HRH The Duchess of Cambridge.

Grandduchess24 said:

No. To use a certain red-haired lady as an example ...
She started life as Miss Sarah Ferguson.
She became engaged to HRH The Prince Andrew who was created Duke of York on the morning of the wedding.
Thus in her married state our lady was styled HRH The Duchess of York (note no christian name.)
Following the dissolution of the marriage the married style was withdrawn and replaced by Sarah, Duchess of York.
So the former Miss Middleton as the wife of a Royal Duke is correctly styled HRH The Duchess of Cambridge. No christian name.

I have this Annonying ad shopping from Macy's plastered on the reading posts.
How do I delete them?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom