General News for the Duchess of Cambridge 1: November 2010-February 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The tradition has never really been a tradition. As early on as 1904, there was a non-royal male handing out shamrocks (Lord Roberts)

Queen Alexandra didn't hand out shamrocks again until 1908.

Sine then it has been presented by both men and woman, royal and non-royal alike

So much for breaking a 115 year old tradition

Last edited:
Perhaps I was a bit harsh in calling what Kate wears, her hair and her makeup irrelevant to the event but as I'm not overly interested in fashion, it was just my perspective. A lot of people do like to watch the show and comment on fashion and I do think that's an extra perk that we perhaps get with having a young, attractive Duchess.

I just think its sad that its these points that seem to be the most focused on and what some believe she is all about as window dressing on the arm on her prince. I prefer to see her as making a difference with the roles she takes on and the causes she stands up for. To me, that's the primary role of a royal consort in the 21st century.

I know lots of people are laying the blame on Catherine's doorstep, but I believe, the blame for this confusion is with the palace press team.

Had the palace made it known a while back, when she first started carrying out the role, that she would present shamrocks on an once in a while bases, people and the media would've understood that she couldn't make it this year. It was a mistake for the palace to not explain that Catherine couldn't make the ceremony this year, due to being in Norfolk and preparing for her engagement the next day. Also they made a mistake in only now mentioning that Catherine won't carry out the role on a regular bases. These missteps led to confusion with royal watchers and the media (who's not happy with the Cambridge's right now) was quick to jump on these mistakes and milk it for all its worth.

No tradition was broken, because male royals have carried out this role too. It hasn't been all females. We know Catherine will continue carrying out the role. She hasn't given it up to William to do. It's just she couldn't make it this year.

Let's make sure we post real facts; Catherine didn't not pull out of the ceremony just to be with the kids. Catherine was never scheduled to attend this year.

If she could've been there this year, she would've been there. You can tell she enjoys this role, and just performing her engagements in general.

Last edited:
I think there is a time for fashion like at the state dinner. However, we see time and time again the press leading with what she wore , who designed it and how much it cost until what she actually did. When she and William spent the day focusing on suicide that should be the focus not the coat or dress.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

I think there is a time for fashion like at the state dinner. However, we see time and time again the press leading with what she wore , who designed it and how much it cost until what she actually did. When she and William spent the day focusing on suicide that should be the focus not the coat or dress.

True, but it's something we just have to get used to. The media won't change, but the royals carry on.

I was one of those who really was puzzled to see that Kate wouldn't attend Saint Patrick's thi year. She did give the idea of continuity, as she basically attedened every year since marrying, even while heavily pregnant. I still wonder why she opted to miss this year's attendance.

I was one of those who really was puzzled to see that Kate wouldn't attend Saint Patrick's thi year. She did give the idea of continuity, as she basically attedened every year since marrying, even while heavily pregnant. I still wonder why she opted to miss this year's attendance.

I was too puzzled, because she seem to enjoy handing out shamrocks to the Irish Guards. She also have started a relationship with the regiment. Dont think she opted out, but that she had another obligation to be in another place for her engagement the next day, and it didn't allow her to attend the St. Patrick's Day Parade this year. She wasn't scheduled for it. Her press team failed to explain and it led to disappointment and criticism. The palace don't always get it right, and I think it's right to come down on them when they create these preventable mistakes. Kensington Palace brought this onto themselves.

I was too puzzled, because she seem to enjoy handing out shamrocks to the Irish Guards. She also have started a relationship with the regiment. Dont think she opted out, but that she had another obligation to be in another place for her engagement the next day, and it didn't allow her to attend the St. Patrick's Day Parade this year. She wasn't scheduled for it. Her press team failed to explain and it led to disappointment and criticism. The palace don't always get it right, and I think it's right to come down on them when they create these preventable mistakes. Kensington Palace brought this onto themselves.

I don't know, to be honest. Her engagement the day after didn't last long and I'm sure she would have been briefed about it long before... Agreed on the press team. I also wonder how long Jason Knauf will last. The thought has crossed my mind more that once.

But if the press is so misinformed that it thought this was an unbroken 115 year old tradition, it's their problem

It doesn't matter the reason Catherine wasn't there this year. She was never scheduled to attend and it's happened many times in the past that a female royal hasn't given out the shamrocks.

If tabloids did a little research this wouldn't happen

I don't know, to be honest. Her engagement the day after didn't last long and I'm sure she would have been briefed about it long before... Agreed on the press team. I also wonder how long Jason Knauf will last. The thought has crossed my mind more that once.

I think she and the kids travelled down to Norkfolk, so she couldn't attend and wasn't scheduled to do so.

The press team at KP have dropped the ball in many areas. I think they know they put themselves in some hot water, so they are publishing meeting the Cambridge's and Prince Harry are conducting like never before. If the palace provide more transparency, I think things would be okay.

The young royals need some tough love from their advisors, but they also need a more transparent press team.

Things have to change though. We're entering The Queen's last years of her reign. It's time for everybody to wake up and get it together. It's all getting much more serious now.

I think she and the kids travelled down to Norkfolk, so she couldn't attend and wasn't scheduled to do so.

The press team at KP have dropped the ball in many areas. I think they know they put themselves in some hot water, so they are publishing meeting the Cambridge's and Prince Harry are conducting like never before. If the palace provide more transparency, I think things would be okay.

The young royals need some tough love from their advisors, but they also need a more transparent press team.

Things have to change though. We're entering The Queen's last years of her reign. It's time for everybody to wake up and get it together. It's all getting much more serious now.

The bolded part is my thought too.I think she probably decided not go for whatever personal reason. Since no explanation was given, all I can do is speculate at no end, and it won't change the fact that she wasn't there.

I agree also on the second bolded part of what you wrote, but it seems to me that until HM passes away, nobody is going to open their eyes. And even after the end of Queen Elizabeth's reign things will remains as they are, I'm afraid. Of course, I can be wrong and everything is going to change once Charles becomes king,but for what I've seen, I'm not so hopeful. That's why I've ceased to discuss the matter. ;)

They should put the meetings and such on the CC. The other royals to do so if they are going to get judged by their CC numbers it should be an accurate record of what they are doing.

The bolded part is my thought too.I think she probably decided not go for whatever personal reason. Since no explanation was given, all I can do is speculate at no end, and it won't change the fact that she wasn't there.

I agree also on the second bolded part of what you wrote, but it seems to me that until HM passes away, nobody is going to open their eyes. And even after the end of Queen Elizabeth's reign things will remains as they are, I'm afraid. Of course, I can be wrong and everything is going to change once Charles becomes king,but for what I've seen, I'm not so hopeful. That's why I've ceased to discuss the matter. ;)

Well, if this is the case, we might as well pop our popcorn and sit back, because things will get even more chaotic. There must be an awakening. It's not wise for folks to continue to do this dance around, wait for the Boss to get sick and pass, and then suddenly decide to wake up. It's wise for everybody to wake up now and smell the brewed tea.

They should put the meetings and such on the CC. The other royals to do so if they are going to get judged by their CC numbers it should be an accurate record of what they are doing.

I agree. Also photos should be provided when possible. It's extremely important for the public and media see that the young royals do work behind the scenes. It's very important for the young royals to be seen working.

Last edited:
In essence Catherine is "just" the wife of the future Heir. Camilla is "just" the wife of the Heir. Anne is "just" a daughter of the Queen. That is all. It is lovely that they do representative things because they are exactly asked because they are in that position. But that almost insane and autistic numbering and statisticking of who was where in how many occasions is too idiot for words.

In other monarchies people and media are so much more relaxed with it. I have never seen numbers for Princess Benedikte of Denmark or Prince Carl Philip of Sweden or Princess Beatrix, do this, do that, do such, do so. When they grace an event with their royal attendance: wonderful. When they -sadly- are hindered to do so: no bad feelings. This unbelievable picking and prying like vultures on royals is just beyond belief.

But the servicemen were honoured. By no one else than His Royal Highness Prince William, Duke of Cambridge, Earl of Strathearn, Baron Carrickfergus himself. The whole **** was just that media are not satisfied with the future King himself giving acte de prèsence. They just wanted to see Catherine. Not because the ladies and gentlemen of the media give a damn' about these military but just to make pictures and to generate traffic on their sites to comment on her appearance, on her dress, on her make-up. That is all. Now they blow it up out of all proportions. Et voilà: they have generated money-making traffic on their sites too, by opening their sewers for vitriolic comments.
:previous: Thank you for pointing out the obvious Duc et Pair. The servicemen were honored by their Colonel. They were aware that Kate wouldn't be there. The media blew this out of proportion.

The PR handlers messed this up by not anticipating that there would be furor over Catherine's non attendance. I accept that she was probably not scheduled to be there this year. But she created precedence by being there the last 3-4 years. Someone should have known that the press and a segment of the public might have expected to see her again this year. An explanation, while not required,would have gone a very very long way toward avoiding the ire now being displayed by some.

The segment of the public doesn't care, it only the tabloids/yellow press in the UK who cares about this

:previous: I could not disagree more.
We ASSUMED she would do this year after year. The palace did not announce that, we assumed.
And as my third grade teacher explained to us - never assume, because when you assume you make an ASS out of U and ME.

Really, if we lay this at the feet of the PR folk, then they should routinely issue these warnings:

• William and Catherine are part time only.
  • Catherine's dress will be mostly a safe choice and often repeated. While not a spender, she will buy quality items
  • At this time in their life they are putting their time with kids first
  • If you read political meaning into their innocuous statements then the bad is on you, not them
  • They have money. They have houses. They take vacations. Get over it.
  • Just because they did it once does not mean they will do it always.
  • The Duchess gets to do what she likes with her hair. She is a princess, not a for-hire fashion model walking a runway
  • The Duchess is also allowed to keep her relationship with her family. She did not divorce them when she married William.
  • They have a whole, robust personal life that they are not going to share with the public. Live with it.
  • The Queen thinks all this is A OK.
  • Just as the Queen does not allow the public to edit her public engagement schedule, she thinks her guidance to members of her family on that topic is sufficient.

Last edited:
:previous: love this, love all of it.

Only thing I'd add: British Royal Family do it their way - they do not need to copy any other.

Made my day

We ASSUMED she would do this year after year. The palace did not announce that, we assumed.
And as my third grade teacher explained to us - never assume, because when you assume you make an ASS out of U and ME.

Really, if we lay this at the feet of the PR folk, then they should routinely issue these warnings:

• Catherine's dress will be mostly a safe choice and often repeated. While not a spender, she will buy quality items
  • If you read political meaning into their innocuous statements then the bad is on you, not them
  • The Duchess gets to do what she likes with her hair. She is a princess, not a for-hire fashion model walking a runway
  • The Duchess is also allowed to keep her relationship with her family. She did not divorce them when she married William.
  • They have a whole, robust personal life that they are not going to share with the public. Live with it.
  • Just as the Queen does not allow the public to edit her public engagement schedule, she thinks her guidance to members of her family on that topic is sufficient.

Thank you! You summed it up nicely

Hear, hear:clap:

If I was them I’d play it up a bit and one year have just William, one year just Catherine and sometimes both doing it. Just to keep the tabloids and royal watchers guessing.

Btw, who’s supposed to do the leeks for the Welsh regiment[FONT=&quot]?
[/FONT]

KP mess this up, but Catherine will be back on shamrock duty next year, most likely.

That's my last comment on this subject, because the event is done and over with. The Cambridge's haven't had the best PR lately, but this too shall pass. The media is milking the death out of this though. I'm moving on...

The segment of the public doesn't care, it only the tabloids/yellow press in the UK who cares about this

Sorry but that is the problem the royals have thinking like this. Why do tabloids write these stories? Because they SELL. People read them and they do care. If you look at the comment sections you will find plenty of people share the opinions of the writers. If royals continue to burry their heads in the sand and refuse to aknowledge this head on this will simply build. And when you are relying on tax payers to fund your lives, disenchanting tax payers is not a great move.

I know lots of people are laying the blame on Catherine's doorstep, but I believe, the blame for this confusion is with the palace press team.

Had the palace made it known a while back, when she first started carrying out the role, that she would present shamrocks on an once in a while bases, people and the media would've understood that she couldn't make it this year.

I don't understand. Is the palace supposed to announce for every event whether or not it's going to be a regular event for a particular royal? No. This would be ridiculous.

The media is having a fit because they loved the shots with Catherine and the shamrocks and the guys in uniform and the dog, and the media can't have those shots this year. And, unfortunately for Catherine, it's fitting in with the media's made-up narrative about Catherine.

I think you should copy this post and repeat it whenever this type of nonsense comes up again.

There is the saying .. It's when they don't want to write about you then your in trouble. I think this applies to Royalty too. I know they are "just, only, etc etc. but one day they will wake up and be the ones and maybe no one will care.

I don't understand. Is the palace supposed to announce for every event whether or not it's going to be a regular event for a particular royal? No. This would be ridiculous.

The media is having a fit because they loved the shots with Catherine and the shamrocks and the guys in uniform and the dog, and the media can't have those shots this year. And, unfortunately for Catherine, it's fitting in with the media's made-up narrative about Catherine.

Just simply stating; the palace should've explained early on that HRH would hand out the shamrocks to the Irish Guards on once in a while bases. Can't fault those who expected Catherine to be there, because she has gone every year. Even while pregnant. It was surprising when William was the only one scheduled to attend, without any official acknowledgment why she wouldn't be there. It was a confusing moment.

No one faults Catherine for being the kids and preparing for engagement the very next day. The KP palace press could've handled things better. It's not a big deal, but it was a surprising moment though.

Things have been testy between the young royals and the media lately. It's wise to not add fuel to the burning fire.

Just simply stating; the palace should've explained early on that HRH would hand out the shamrocks to the Irish Guards on once in a while bases. Can't fault those who expected Catherine to be there, because she has gone every year. Even while pregnant. It was surprising when William was the only one scheduled to attend, without any official acknowledgment why she wouldn't be there. It was a confusing moment.

No one faults Catherine for being the kids and preparing for engagement the very next day. The KP palace press could've handled things better. It's not a big deal, but it was a surprising moment though.

Things have been testy between the young royals and the media lately. It's wise to not add fuel to the burning fire.

We'll just agree to disagree. If the Palace were obligated to comment on every wrinkle in scheduling, they still wouldn't win. Some in the press already twisted this to say that Catherine was breaking tradition, etc. You can't really add fuel to a fire being put on by an oil company. This is what the press does--build people up and then try to break them down.

Sorry but that is the problem the royals have thinking like this. Why do tabloids write these stories? Because they SELL. People read them and they do care. If you look at the comment sections you will find plenty of people share the opinions of the writers. If royals continue to burry their heads in the sand and refuse to aknowledge this head on this will simply build. And when you are relying on tax payers to fund your lives, disenchanting tax payers is not a great move.
Yes there are comments which come from citizens of the UK but also a sizeable portion from those who reside outside of the country ie:Daily Mail. Those are commenters who do not vote, pay taxes or contact the MPs who represent the citizens of the UK.:)

I find it funny that no one ever asks where William is on a Kate engagement? However if William is solo at the Baftas, Tusk Awards, etc it's where Kate.

We'll just agree to disagree. If the Palace were obligated to comment on every wrinkle in scheduling, they still wouldn't win. Some in the press already twisted this to say that Catherine was breaking tradition, etc. You can't really add fuel to a fire being put on by an oil company. This is what the press does--build people up and then try to break them down.

The palace don't have to comment on every engagement "wrinkle" , but this one of those engagements everyone look forward to them performing together. It was kind a surprising moment when it was announced that William was going solo on St. Patrick's Day. Naturally, this announcement left folks guessing on the reason why Catherine wasn't scheduled to attend.

It's just like if Catherine didn't show up to the Order of the Garter service. She missed twice, due to pregnancy, but just imagine if she missed this year's ceremony. Don't you think people will have questions about her absence?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom